Recipes - Super Simple Crock pot Italian beef stew

C

chitownmelli

This recipe was absolutely wonderful! It didn't even taste like it was made in a crock pot, it tasted more like it simmered in a dutch oven all day long - WOW! The only changes I made to the recipe were that I did it from start to finish in the Ninja Cooking System (no dirty pan from searing the meat!) and I used AP flour rather than the almond flour called for in the recipe. I used a Penzy's Italian herb blend, I do not stock those individually since I would just end up putting them all together in the end anyway. I did not use the wine or mushrooms. My cook time was much less, since I used the Ninja. I think if you sear your meat, the 8 hours will do just fine, and if not, then probably lean more toward the 10 hour cook time. To put this all together, including chopping (accounting for the fact that I did chop up a roast to save the $2 per pound), searing, etc. I would say it took under a half hour. Enjoy!

Crock Pot Italian beef stew - from The Iron You blog

If you don’t own a Crock-Pot, this recipe can also be made just as easily simmering on very low heat on your stovetop for 3 to 4 hours.

Ingredients
Serves 8

4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 lbs / 900 gr lean top round, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
⅓ cup / 1.8 oz / 50 gr almond meal/flour
4 medium carrots, chopped into ½-inch thick pieces (about 2 cups)
3 stalks celery, chopped into ½-inch thick pieces (about 1 ½ cups)
2 large onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 cups / 500 ml Italian red wine
2 cups / 500 ml low-sodium beef broth
2 (15 oz / 425 gr) cans diced tomatoes
1 ½ lbs / 700 gr potatoes (Russet or Red Bliss), peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
1 lb / 453 gr crimini mushrooms (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¾ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
2 bay leaves
Fine grain sea salt
Ground black pepper to taste

Directions

Place beef in a large resealable bag, add almond meal/flour and season lightly with salt and pepper. Seal bag and toss well to evenly coat beef in flour. Shake off the excess flour and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and sauté until lightly golden, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds longer.
Transfer veggie mixture to a bowl and set aside.
Return the pot to medium-high heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add beef and cook stirring occasionally until the beef has browned. Transfer beef to a bowl and set aside.
Deglaze the pot with the red wine, stirring well and bringing to a full boil to loosen and dissolve all pot drippings. Turn the heat off and set aside.
Place beef, red wine, beef broth, diced tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms (if using), veggie mixture, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram and bay leaves to the Crock-Pot and season with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on low heat for about 8 to 10 hours until beef is very tender and the sauce is amazing!

C

couponcrazy5950

[MENTION=34409]chitownmelli[/MENTION] - Ninja Cooking System? Explain, please!

C

chitownmelli

On the outside, it looks like a crockpot. And it is! However, it also has the ability to sear, and cook like a stovetop AND an oven. You can bake in it if you so choose (the directions say that you should use only half of the fat that the recipe calls for, and then it "steam bakes" haven't tried it yet) and you can steam foods, or even cook one food on the little rack that is included, say fish or shrimp or whatever you like, and cook pasta down below in the crock as the steam takes care of the fish or vegetables or whatever you would like to cook up top. It really is a very neat machine, I am very happy with it.