Cowboy Chicken - Super EASY but YUMMY

E

ElaineHN

This is super easy, but yummy! Great for when you've stockpiled salsa ... or found a great bargain on a salsa that isn't 'bad' but you just don't like all that much for eating with chips (which is how we felt about the Newman's Own flavors that I found on clearance ... not so great with chips ... but make FANTASTIC Cowboy Chicken!)

Cowboy Chicken

Ingredients:
6 - Chicken Breast halves, no skin,
1 jar (about 2 cups) your favorite Salsa (mild, medium, hot)
1-2 TBLSP Brown Sugar
1 TBLSP Brown Mustard or Dijon Mustard

Place chicken in crock pot or casserole dish.
Mix all other ingredients in bowl and pour over chicken.
Cook in crock pot on low for about 6 hours, or bake in 375f oven for about 1 hour.
The sauce is delicious over rice, scooped up with baked tortilla chips, or even served over steamed veggies.

** I love the convenience of using my crockpot, but I have to honestly say that I like this better baked in the oven ... the final texture of the chicken and consistancy of the sauce if better ... imho. :shrug7:

Number of Servings: 6

Nutritional Info
Calories:172.8
Protein: 28.3g
Fat: 1.7g
Carbohydrates: 9.6g

Full nutritional info, printable view, e-mail option, reviews, etc. at - Cowboy Chicken Recipe

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pedspeech

I have made this one (baked, never in the crockpot). We liked it, too, and I am not even a fan of salsa.

E

ElaineHN

I wonder if this would be good with pork chops????

YES!!! It works perfectly! :BigHand: I'd forgotten about doing that!

I browned the pork chops in a skillet ... and then added the sauce and the covered and simmered on top of the stove for a long while. But I would think you could do the same thing in the oven or crockpot if you wanted to.

S

SkiKansas

WOW--sounds like a GREAT way to cook chicken breasts, which I am ALWAYS looking for! Now I just have to find salsa coupons + sales! Thanks so much! :BigHand:

R

rmb2girl

Wow sounds yummy I think we might give this one a try!!

C

cutenirish

Sounds yummy once i'm back in some sort of groove (month old baby and a csection are whipping my butt at times)

this sounds awsome i can't wait to try it and it will get dh to eat some chicken :0

E

ElaineHN

FWIW, last time I made Cowboy Chicken I used the new Pace Tequila Lime Salsa from my couponing stockpiles :wink7: It has a little different flavor than the 'usual' basic red tomatoe based salsas that I normally use in this dish, but it was still VERY tasty!

S

suevin99

This sounds great and I have so much salsa that I need to use! Thanks!

E

emily26505

hmmm..just readin this is makin me hungry, lol! I never really eat chicken, just because I always overcook it til its dried out, but this sounds so easy!

E

ElaineHN

Thought I'd bump this for anyone who has a ton of SALSA on hand from the Kroger mega sale &/or the Pace free home mailer coupons from their game.