Cinnabon Style Cinnamon Rolls

M

MrsPinecone

For the slightly more advanced bakers around here, or the ones who'd like to try a yeast bread:

WARNING: these are definitely NOT diet food.

Danny begs for them, saying that they are the BEST he's ever eaten. He took a tray to work a month ago, and they're begging for more, too. You've got to use real butter-- it's just not the same without it.

DOUGH:

2 pkg yeast (very fresh) or slightly less than 2 TB bulk yeast
1 t sugar
1 c warm water

1 c warm milk
2 tsp salt
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c butter (about 1 stick + 2 T)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
7-8 c flour

FILLING:

1 c melted butter, divided into 2 1/2 c portions
1 3/4 c sugar
3 T cinnamon

GLAZE:

2/3 c melted butter
2 t vanilla
4 c powdered sugar
4-6 T hot water

In a cup, combine yeast, 1 t sugar and warm water, stir and set aside. In a large bowl (it fits in the KitchenAid, BTW) mix milk, remaining sugar, melted butter, salt & eggs. Stir well & add yeast mixture. Add half the flour and beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough slightly stiff-- it will be sticky!

Turn out onto well-floured board. Knead 5-10 min. (I actually use the dough hook and knead in the mixer for 5 min.) Place in well-buttered glass or plastic bowl. Cover, let rise in a warm place until doubled: 45 min to 1 hour 15 min. When doubled, punch down and let rest 5 min. Roll out into 15 x 20 inch rectangle.

To prepare filling: Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Prepare a 1/4 sheet restaurant pan OR a 9x13 AND an 8" square by spreading 1/2 c melted butter on the bottom. Sprinkle with 1/2 c of the cinn-sugar mix. Spread dough with 1/2 c melted butter. Add walnuts & raisins if you want to! Sprinkle the rest of the cinn-sugar evenly over the surface. Roll up jelly-roll style and pinch edges to seal. Cut into 12-15 slices. (If using the commercial pan, all 15 will fit in 3 rows of 5.) Let rise in warm place until double-- about 45 min.

Preheat over to 350, bake 25-30 min until nicely browned. Cool for 5 min.

To prepare glaze: Mix melted butter, vanilla, powdered sugar; add hot water 1 T at a timeuntil glaze is spreading consistency. (Usually 4-5 T) Spread over rolls.

Yum.

34572%3B8723232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3239%3E549%3E3%3B9%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B2978%3A5nu0mrj

J

jazzhands

those look fantastic, but not so healthy :) I could make them to bring to a holiday brunch sometime!

N

nrpeace17

You know what, I HAVE to make these. They look fabulous, Mrs.P.:biggrin:

M

mama22qts

OM gosh they are incredible....I made them about a month ago. I think I gained 5 lbs that day...

My kids are begging for another batch!

ETA: This was my first time making this recipe, but I have been baking bread for years. This recipe might be a little tricky if you haven't baked from scratch with yeast before.

M

MrsPinecone

EVERYONE begs for another batch. The people DH works with have actually dropped hints for more cinnamon rolls on the phone if they happen to call the house. Shameless. :biggrin:

K

kurlisola

OMG! You actually posted a picture? Truly truly evil-lol!

You know what recipe I want? The one for the pecan topping! Ohhh...okay, I'm doing a search right now-lol! Will post if I find something!

T

tylianna

Pecan halves
Corn syrup
butter
Brown sugar

Thats what I use in my recipe... YOu just mix together everthing, but the pecans, in the bottom of a pan that has at least 2 inch sides. Place in pecan halves (flat side up, so it's pretty when you pour it out of the pan) put the uncooked rolls on top, cook them, and then flip onto a serving dish IMMEDIATELY and leave the pan on top for a few minutes so all the pecans will come off of the pan.

I will post with exact measurements later, unless you found the recipe

K

kurlisola

No, I haven't found it. Do I first cook the corn syrup, butter and brown sugar to carmelize it? Then add the pecans? Thanks!

M

MrsPinecone

1 c Butter
1 c Brown sugar
9 tb Light corn syrup
1 c pecans - coarsely chopped

CARAMEL STICKY BUNS & TOPPING: In a sauce pan or in your microwave oven combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Heat and stir until blended. Pour topping into the bottom of the pan (pans) you are using for the rolls, place unbaked cinnamon rolls on top on the caramel sauce.

K

kurlisola

Larissa, couple quick questions. When you cut them, how thick were the slices? Also, when you rolled up the 15x20 roll...did you roll it longways (smaller round) or short ways (longer round). I think I rolled it the wrong way. Cut recipe in half & still got 12-14. Cut them about 1 inch thick. They did double in size, but I'm thinking they were too small to begin with because since I halved the recipe, I think I should have only been able to cut 6-8?

I'm sure they will still tast good, but more info would be helpful for next time. Thanks.

P

par_kit

Ok, this is worth bumping up. These cinnamon rolls are AMAZING!!!

R

Ruddysgirl

These are the Best. They are not that hard to make. I am not the best baker and they came out just like the picture. :BigHand:

My DH has been a pain, waiting for these to get done, he is still eating them and washing it down with Milk.
Thank you for the wonderful recipe Miss Pinecone.

P

puakinikini

Oh my - those look amazing - I am scared of bread recipes with yeast though - never works out too good for me. I may have to try these for Easter brunch.

S

SeasLife

Sinful picture of them thar cinnamon rolls! I'm going to try them. I love my Kitchenaid and it sounds easy enough. I made bagels the other night. Where did you get your pan for them - looks professional :wink7:

Thanks for sharing! King Arthur Flour has some great bread, sticky bun recipes, etc. folks.

C

crecian

oh, I am so glad someone bumped this up, these look and sound DELICIOUS, can't wait to try them!!!

R

Ruddysgirl

Oh my - those look amazing - I am scared of bread recipes with yeast though - never works out too good for me. I may have to try these for Easter brunch.

Do not be afraid to make these. I do not do well with yeast recipes either. I used my Kitchenaide and followed ther recipe to a "T" and what do you know, it worked. Make sure your water and milk are warm. I am pretty sure that is the key.

They are more than amazing.

Apennysaved

Trader Group
Sinful picture of them thar cinnamon rolls! I'm going to try them. I love my Kitchenaid and it sounds easy enough. I made bagels the other night. Where did you get your pan for them - looks professional :wink7:

Thanks for sharing! King Arthur Flour has some great bread, sticky bun recipes, etc. folks.

I bought these pans at Sam's Club, they have a section with professional cooking items. I'm sure BJ's or Costco might have them too.

I made these and they are sooo yummy, everyone keeps asking me to make them again....the only trouble is lurking in every wonderful bite there is at least a trillion calories. :naughtywag:

M

MrsPinecone

I did warn you that they aren't diet food. In big letters, too. :biggrin:

C

cheap-o

I came up with the best cinnabon icing!

1/4 cup really soft cream cheese
1/4 cup really soft real salted butter
1tst vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
milk or heavy cream

Blend it all together and add milk/cream as needed for the texture you like. We like ours really thick. I put a little on and let it melt then we put more on when they are a little cooler.