Chocolate Mud Cake
Itâ€™s moist and chocolatey.
The recipe makes two 25-28cm/10-11 inch cakes.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30-35
230g butter (room temperature)
230g caster sugar
230g light brown sugar
8 medium eggs (room temperature)
340g self-raising flour
100g cocoa powder
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
generous pinch of salt
10 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
2 teaspoons good vanilla extract
Three 4.5-ounce Giant Kit Kat Bars (you'll need 36 Kit Kat sticks total)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C or 350F and prepare two 25-28cm/10 or 11 inch cake tins with baking parchment.
2. Sift dry ingredients together.
3. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
4. Gradually beat in the eggs. If it looks like curdling add two tablespoons from the flour mixture.
5. Fold in the flour mixture, and creme fraiche, alternating between the two -starting and ending with the flour.
6. Divide evenly between tins and gently encourage the mix to the sides.
7. Bake for 30-35 mins, until they smell ready and a skewer comes out clean.
8. Let cool 5 mins in tins, then turn on to a wire rack to cool.
There was some confusion with the original the recipe for the Choc Mud Cake as it did not include any recipe for the icing. I assume it is just a Dark Choc Ganache Icing and I imagine the piggies are made of marzipan or sugar paste. I would ice the sides, put the kit kat fingers in place and then ice the top
Here is a quick and easy recipe for a Choc Ganache Icing.
250g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup cream
Combine chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a metal spoon until smooth. Remove bowl from heat.
Set aside at room temperature to cool, stirring occasionally, until ganache is thick and spreadable.