Pot Pie Chili Pot Pie

Kristen.C

Trader Group
I made this tonight for DH and I and it turned out tasty-- it is very filling and would be even more tasty on a cold day! Lots of leftovers too!!

Chili Pot Pie
serves about 8-10

Chili:
1 roll fresh sausage (We used Jimmy Dean 50% less fat)
1 medium vidalia onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 (16 oz) can dark red kidney beans (drained, but NOT rinsed)
1 (16 oz) can light red kidney beans (drained, but NOT rinsed)
1 (16 oz) can pinto beans (drained, but NOT rinsed)
2 (16 oz) cans diced tomatoes with chiles (do NOT drain)
1 T chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1/2 t black pepper
1/4 t red pepper flakes (more or less to your taste)

Topping:
1 C yellow cornmeal (actual cornmeal, not the Jiffy muffin mix)
1 C all purpose flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
3 T vegetable oil
1 can (8.5 oz) cream-style corn
1/4 C milk

In a large stock pot on medium heat, brown sausage, breaking it into bite sized crumbles as it cooks. When almost brown add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and continue cooking until sausage is done.

Add the kidney beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes with liquids, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cover, and cook over medium/low heat keeping mixture at a simmer for 20-30 minutes so that flavors combine.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add in oil, 2 lightly beaten eggs, and milk. Combine with a wooden spoon. Add in creamed corn, stirring until combined.

Transfer chili mixture to a pan or casserole dish (We used two 8x8" glass casserole dishes). Top with cornbread mixture, spreading it lightly with a spatula if you need to- so that it covers all of the chili. Do not mix.

Bake for 25-30 minutes (uncovered) or until cornbread topping is done (You should be able to pull up a corner with a fork to check if it is finished underneath)

Serve, and enjoy!

P

pussikat91958

Oooooooo Yummy! I want to make this one. It sounds delicious. thanks for sharing.