• 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked macaroni
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1/4 cup Ritz cracker crumbs

Directions

1. In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onions in butter until onions are tender.
  2. Add in soup and 1 ½ cups cheese; gradually stir in milk.
  3. Cook over medium heat until cheese melts; stir in chicken and macaroni; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
  4. Transfer mixture to a greased 2 ½ quart casserole; sprinkle with cracker crumbs.
  5. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
  6. Top with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake 5 minutes.

judy27

Trader Group
This sounds delicious!!! I am going to try this tomorrow!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!! :BigHand:

marrelam

Trader Group
This doesn't last long in my house...it is so, so good!! And I've substituted bread crumbs for the Ritz crackers - still turns out good!

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Judy - if you get to make it please let us know in "...dinner?" with link to here for others. Pleeeeaaaassseee???? :biggrin:

judy27

Trader Group
Judy - if you get to make it please let us know in "...dinner?" with link to here for others. Pleeeeaaaassseee???? :biggrin:
I sure WILL!!! I love anything with CHEESE and macaroni, so this is right up my alley and EASY!!! The chicken is a BONUS!!!! :wink7:

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Judy, this AM I was thinking how that recipe was perfect (thanks marrelam!) not only because I have every item needed but I also have bits of 7 different types of cheese and was wondering what would be delicious to make with them (Muenster, Cheddar, Colby Jack, Swiss, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella and pepper jack, oh geez, also have some ricotta). Then I thought "The CHEESE lady! She'll be able to add any type of awesome cheese she carries to that recipe and change it up a little if she wanted!!"

It'll have to wait for me because I've still got hamburger from yesterday to use and this AM I'd already gotten out a huge pork butt and a big pack of round steak to thaw before seeing the recipe.

judy27

Trader Group
Judy, this AM I was thinking how that recipe was perfect (thanks marrelam!) not only because I have every item needed but I also have bits of 7 different types of cheese and was wondering what would be delicious to make with them (Muenster, Cheddar, Colby Jack, Swiss, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella and pepper jack, oh geez, also have some ricotta). Then I thought "The CHEESE lady! She'll be able to add any type of awesome cheese she carries to that recipe and change it up a little if she wanted!!"

It'll have to wait for me because I've still got hamburger from yesterday to use and this AM I'd already gotten out a huge pork butt and a big pack of round steak to thaw before seeing the recipe.

Well, there are a lot of cheeses that are excellent in Macaroni and Cheese, but a few to try are Fontina or a Gruyere. I am not a huge fan of Ricotta, but if you added Ricotta, it would make it creamier!!!!!!

Gruyere is a creamy, pale cheese with small holes and a slightly granular texture. The holes rarely exceed the size of a pea, and are widely dispersed within the cheese. The flavor is rich and somewhat nutty. The cheese is also slightly salty, because it is a brined cheese. Because Gruyere has a distinctive but not overpowering flavor, it is an excellent addition to quiches, soups, salads, and pastas. It can be sliced or grated, depending on the desired effect.
The cheese is made from unpasteurized milk that is heated to 93°F (34°C) before being curdled with liquid rennet. The mixture is stirred until the curd has begun to firm, and then it is quickly cut to release the whey before being heated further, until the curd begins to shrivel slightly. These pieces of curd are pressed into molds to be cured, and then salted in brine for eight days.After being pulled from the brine, the cheese is ripened for two months at room temperature. Once the cheese has been ripened, it is aged for three months to one year, with more aged cheese having a more developed and intense flavor. It is generally agreed that the more the cheese is aged, the better the flavor will be, with young Gruyere having a slightly sharp raw flavor that will temper with age.

Fontina cheese is a classic Italian cheese, although variations are made in several other countries as well. Depending on where the cheese comes from and how long it has been aged, fontina can be semi-soft to firm in texture, with a range of flavors from mild and creamy to more intense and pungent. The cheese is quite popular in Italian cuisine, especially in the region around the Alps where it originates. Variations have become popular around the world for a variety of cooked dishes and sandwiches, and it also makes a great table cheese.
All fontinas must be made from cow's milk. As a general rule, the milk is usually raw, and the best cheese is made from milk that is as fresh as possible. The interior of the cheese tends to be a rich straw yellow to pale cream in color, and it is classically riddled with very small holes. The milkfat content is usually around 45%, so the cheese tends to be very rich and creamy, with a nutty flavor that gets stronger with aging. The cheese also melts very well, and it is sometimes included in fondue and similar dishes.

judy27

Trader Group
chicken macaroni casserole.jpg

This was delicious!!! I made some changes - I left out the onions, but added green beans, carrots and peas!!!!! :smile: