Recipes - Tried & True Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Casserole

MsSweetCheeks

Mod Of The Month March 2012 - The Grand Theft
Trader Group
INGREDIENTS1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 large)Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper5 tablespoons extra*virgin olive oil1 leek, white and pale*green parts only, coarsely chopped and rinsed well1 celery stalk, cut into 1/2*inch dice10 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved if large3 tablespoons all*purpose flour3 tablespoons dry sherry2 1/4 cups homemade or store*bought low*sodium chicken stock3/4 cup whole milk1 dried bay leaf8 slices dense multigrain bread, crusts removed, slices cut into triangles2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat*leaf parsley1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)

DIRECTIONS1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oilin a medium saute pan over medium*high heat. Add chicken, and cook until golden brown on 1 side, 3 to4 minutes. Flip, reduce heat to medium, and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate, and return pan, with drippings, to medium heat.2. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in pan. Add leek, celery, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirringoccasionally, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Reduce heat if vegetablesbrown too quickly.) Stir in flour, and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add sherry, stock, milk, and bayleaf, and cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with saltand pepper. Discard bay leaf.3. Arrange bread on bottom of a 2*quart oval baking dish, overlapping slices slightly. Spoon half of thevegetables and sauce over bread. Slice chicken crosswise, 1/2 inch thick, and arrange on bread. Top withany accumulated juices from chicken. Spread remaining vegetables and sauce over chicken, sprinkle withparsley and Parmesan, and bake until golden brown and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand for 15minutes before serving.

I sautee the vegis first, and then I add the chicken. I only use 1 TBSP of olive oil. I don't use salt. I used the following seasoning: Mrs. Dash, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. I only used 1/4 cup of cheese instead of 1/3 cup.