Cherries

M

MrsPinecone

5 half-pints of cherry barbecue sauce. I used both sour and sweet cherries, cut down the onion by 1/3 and used 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes per batch instead of cayenne. I am not sure if this is safe for canning, so it's going into the freezer.

003.JPG

M

MrsPinecone

I swear to God these things are reproducing in the fridge. I made the pickled cherries and a batch of bbq sauce. I am working on a second batch of bbq sauce and I feel like I've barely made a dent in the cherries in the big bowls.

It doesn't help that they are really small, so pitting about 100 of them fills about a cup. Sigh.

M

MrsPinecone

5.5 half-pints of cherry-vanilla pancake topping. It’s sort of halfway between pie filling and syrup in texture. I used a combo of 2 recipes that I found online. I probably could have added some water-- the flavor is pretty intense and the topping is a little thicker than I wanted! But it is deeee-licious.

3 cups sugar, 1/3 cup Clear Jel, 1 vanilla bean, 2.5 cups Bing cherry juice, .5 cup chopped cherries cooked until thickened.
Water bathed for 10 min.

003.JPG

M

MrsPinecone

Picked up my 10 lb tub of sour cherries today. Tomorrow is probably pie filling. I need to see how much jam I have left from last year.

M

MrsPinecone

6.5 quarts of sour cherry pie filling from the NCFHFP recipe. This was 1 10 lb tub of cherries. I didn't add more than about 10 drops of red coloring.

009.JPG

L

love2save

sure wish I could get a hold of some SOUR cherries. Like Mrs. Pinecone, I also grew up with neighbors who had cherry trees. They shared their sour cherries (sigh) and my Mom and both Grandmas canned, as I do now. Nothing like a sour cherry pie.

M

MrsPinecone

sure wish I could get a hold of some SOUR cherries. Like Mrs. Pinecone, I also grew up with neighbors who had cherry trees. They shared their sour cherries (sigh) and my Mom and both Grandmas canned, as I do now. Nothing like a sour cherry pie.

These were ordered by a local orchard from Michigan. Call around and I am sure you can find sour cherries. The 10 lb tub arrives already pitted, which is so worth it for me!

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Thanks [MENTION=9]MrsPinecone[/MENTION] -- Cherries are as low as $1.49/lb in my neck of the woods this week.

J

joshmamabear

Washington cherries are $1/lb @ our WM this week. They're on rollback from $5.49/lb!

M

MrsPinecone

My friend's cherries are ripe. I canned 14 pints whole in light syrup and have a gallon ziploc bag ready to make some Black Forest jam.