Cherries

M

MrsPinecone

Sweet cherries are on sale for $1.99/lb at Giant Eagle this week, so I plan to can some and make Black Forest Jam to help extend their season. Not eating locally, but I love cherries and definitely don't want to pay $6/lb come winter!

Canning 101: Sweet Cherries for Winter Days | Simple Bites

The Black Forest Jam recipe is from the Ball Complete Book. This stuff is AMAZING with cheese and crackers- either a plain goat cheese or something really strong like manchego or iberico.

Black Forest Preserves Recipe - Food.com - 311518

When my frozen sour cherries arrive in July, I plan to make cherry pie filling. I will note that this recipe says flour, cornstarch OR ClearJel. I would not use anything other than ClearJel. Cornstarch doesn't reheat well and I've not heard that you may can flour-thickened sauces.

Canning Cherry Pie Filling, Making Sweet Cherry Pie is a snap if you can this ahead of time.

I usually make my pies from sour cherries, but this sweet cherry pie recipe looks good, too!

Sweet Cherry Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Homemade Maraschino Cherries

preserving cherries {part two} - In Jennie's Kitchen

A collection of sour cherry recipes from Martha:

http://www.marthastewart.com/275384/sour-cherry-recipes/@center/276955/seasonal-produce-recipe-guide

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chitownmelli

making pie filling with cherries and freezing it is one of my favorite things to do with them. Well, other then eating them fresh, of course :)

M

MrsPinecone

Added a recipe for homemade maraschino cherries to the OP.

U

uummm

Where do you order them from and how much a pound do you get them? I ask because we never get them fresh and I read they are really hard to come buy...I read peoples post about how they just love sour cherries and make jam and filling with them...I have never had them but reading how people dote over them (like meyer lemons) really gets me wondering...
Tried Meyer Lemons they were good and I made curd but not sure I would go on and on like some of these bloggers do.

M

MrsPinecone

I love them because I grew up with a sour cherry tree in my yard. Sour cherry jam is one of those childhood tastes for me.

One of our local apple/fruit farms orders the cherries. They didn't think that they would be able to get any this year, but they were able to put in one order after all. I don't know what I paid yet -- a friend tacked my order on to hers and hasn't given me the total yet. I think it was probably about $28 for the 10 lb tub. Last year I paid $22/tub, but the late freeze really jacked up prices.

T

to1drland

help!...What to do w/ 18 lbs. of cherries.....got any ideas? please share em.

I bought an 18 lb case of bing cherries at the Amish market today (couldn't pass em up @ $9 a case).....now I need some ideas of what to do w/ them.

C

cheynesnana

Re: help!...What to do w/ 18 lbs. of cherries.....got any ideas? please share em.

Well... cherry pie is always good... my address is....:hysterical:

N

nrpeace17

Re: help!...What to do w/ 18 lbs. of cherries.....got any ideas? please share em.

Mmm, cherry preserves!

C

chitownmelli

PIE! Eat the other half while you are making the pies :D

SFShopper

Member Of The Month March 2011
Trader Group

Can I have a few? maybe just like 10ish!?! :hysterical:

Abbybob

Trader Group

Dry some, pickle some, can some (like pie filling), and make cherry jam. Maybe make fruit leather?

Save some to make pie!

Gardencook

Trader Group

Guess it depends on what your family likes to eat. The basic stuff has already been covered, so I won't repeat.
I've been going for the more unusual with my canning this year. I've done some cherries with amaretto and some with brandy. Sure Jell has a recipe for red onion jam which was delicious. I adapted the recipe a bit by cutting the amount of onion (low-acid) and adding some cherries (higher acid), then replaced the red wine vinegar with balsamic vinegar. Figured that would be delicious on beef or chicken.
I tested a recipe for grape catsup a few months back and it made a delicious sweet and sour sauce. I made a cherry pineapple sweet and sour sauce with the same recipe last week and it turned out really tasty. Plan to use it as a dipping sauce with Asian foods.
I've also got recipes for cherry chutney and cherry relish. Those are really tasty as condiments along with meat or on top of a burger.
I found a recipe for Crock Pot Cherry Butter the other day, but haven't had the opportunity to try it.

cody82414

Member of the Month 06/11 Happy Hoo-Ha Hacker
Trader Group

ONLY 18 pounds?!?!?!?

That's the pits!
LOL
:hysterical:

Gardencook

Trader Group

Cherry crisp is also really easy to throw together, using concentrated fruit juice and cornstarch or flour to thicken it. They have frozen mixed fruit with cherry juices that would be wonderful. I just add cornstarch to about 2/3 of the concentrate and pour it over the top of the fruit. Then I make a topping with flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice if you have it plus the rest of the juice and a little oil. It goes together in a flash and is so much easier than messing with pie crust.

O

OneHotMomma

Make your own cordial or maraschino cherries.

J

jkeating

I missed cherries this year so if it were me I'd made cherry jelly.

I think you can take the pits out and freeze them.

Boy I wish I'd find good sales that like.

C

clippyclippy

I love to freeze bing cherries! Every summer, there are one or two chances to get them fairly cheap, so I wash them, spread them on a cookie sheet and then freeze, pits and all. Put them into quart freezer bags and freeze.
They're yummy for eating like frozen grapes, but they keep enough firmness that you can still put them in fruit salads. Of course, they'd still work well in pies, crisps, or jellies etc...

M

MrsPinecone

I am getting an unexpected bonanza of cherries tomorrow, both Bing and sour cherries. My friend's sister is having brain surgery tomorrow and her brother (an even better friend) said that his trees are loaded and he was going to pick them this week. I am going to pick for both of us and I get to keep half of what I pick.

I may freeze some, then can the rest.