can you make cool whip?

E

eppo

I could just as easily say that orange juice is a toxic mixture made from a potentially lethal solvent (dihydrogen monoxide) and a powerful industrial grease cleaner (citrus extractitives) and a toxic chemical (the dangerous monosaccharide levulose responsible for one of the most debilitating medical conditions (diabetes), and implicated in the chelation of minerals in the blood.

as i eat my whole tub of cool whip.lol

D

derketchup

Dihydrogen monoxide (HOH) in its pure form is only lethal if one attempts to breathe it, or if one drinks so much of it that one's electrolytes are so diluted that the heart can no longer beat properly.

Cool whip is knowingly acknowledged by Kraft as a "food product" in the most abstract sense (i.e. cheez whiz). I believe cool whip came about during world war 2 when there was a ration on dairy and sugar.

I'm not criticizing, mind you, but I don't see how one can make their own cool whip properly. Wouldn't that be akin to making ones own crisco?

H

hopeky94

I found this today while sorting thru some saved recipes... it's similar to a couple posted already, but it still sounds good enough to consider! :)

I don't own this cookbook, so I'm sure it was passed on to me by someone-- probably the person who wrote the comments at the end...

Whipped Topping

(From the 1973 edition of The American Heart Association Cookbook)

1 cup water
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup boiling water
1 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice

First take the cup of tap water and pour it into a large deep bowl (I use a metal bowl because the water chills faster). Put this bowl of water into the freezer while you do everything else. Next place the unflavored gelatin into a small cereal bowl. Add one tablespoon of water and let it soften up. Add the boiling water to the gelatin mixture. Stir it with a fork for several minutes, to dissolve the gelatin completely. Let it sit and cool down some. Meanwhile measure the oil, vanilla and lemon juice all into a small container. Set it aside. Also measure the sugar and set aside.

When the water in the freezer has ice crystals forming on it, take it out and place it on the counter. Pour in a full cup of dry milk powder. Using electric mixer (you have to have electric mixer to make this recipe), whip the mixture at high speed until it forms stiff peaks. This will take a full five minutes. Continue beating, and gradually add the sugar. When it is fully incorporated, gradually add the cooled gelatin mixture. When this is fully incorporated, gradually add the oil, vanilla, lemon juice mixture, in a small stream. The texture of the topping will change a little bit, becoming bright white and creamier. This is normal.

Now place the bowl into the freezer again for about 10 or 15 minutes. It will chill and thicken. Stir it with a wire whisk right before serving. You may serve it right away, or keep it in the fridge for a few days. Be sure to stir it before serving, because it tends to thicken up while it sits. Stirring it will make it creamy again.

This recipe is quite easy after you've made it a couple times, and find the rhythm of it. Serve it anywhere you would regular whipped topping, and even use it in fancy pudding or gelatin creations. It holds up nicely. Great as a topping for Cream Pies. If you are trying to cut down on cholesterol, this recipe will work as well as real whipping cream on most desserts.

This doesn't taste the same as the non-dairy whipped toppings you find at the supermarket-- it actually tastes much better. The dry milk powder gives it a dairy flavor which, to my taste buds, is much more satisfying than the chemical fluff available in the freezer at the market. It costs about 60 cents to make. An equivalent amount from the store is over $2.