can you make cool whip?

JANE4girls

Member Of The Month July 2008
Trader Group
I know this sounds crazy, but I swear I remember my mom making cool whip from scratch when I was a kid.

does anyone know how or what I need?

I am needing a whipped topping to make frozen pudding parfaits

M

MrsPinecone

I believe that Oetker makes a powdered mix for whipped topping. That may be what she used.

A

aimeebee

Dream whip is also what we have used. You can usually find it in same aisle with the jello and pudding. HTH

L

littlereddeer1

There is something that comes in a small container like milk that you add powdered sugar to. Sorry the name eludes me at the moment.

A

aimeebee

Homemade Cool Whip Recipe

Submitted by: Coletta

Ready in: 30-60 minutes
Difficulty: 3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5) Serves/Makes: 2 cups

Related Categories:
--Mixes and Make Your Own Recipes
--Whipped Cream Frosting and Icing Recipes

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon gelatin
2 teaspoons cold water
3 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup ice water
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons oil

Directions:
Chill a small mixing bowl. Soften gelatin with 2 teaspoons cold water, then add boiling water, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool until tepid. Place ice water and nonfat dry milk in the chilled bowl. Beat at high speed until mixture forms stiff peaks. Add sugar, still beating, then oil and gelatin. Place in freezer about 15 minutes then transfer to refrigerator until ready for use. Stir before using to retain creamy texture.
This recipe for Homemade Cool Whip serves/makes 2 cups
Recipe ID: 27659

googled and found this recipe. :smile:

YouPdWhat

Mod Of The Month July 2007
Trader Group
Here's another one from the same site as the post above mine.

Whipped Topping Recipe
Submitted by: Elaine

Ready in: < 30 minutes
Difficulty: 2 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)

Serves/Makes: 2 cups

Ingredients:
3/4 cup nonfat dried milk
3/4 cup very cold water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
sugar

Directions:
Chill beaters and bowl thoroughly; pour ingredients into bowl and whip until thick. Add vanilla and sugar, to taste.

Recipe ID: 28000

A

aimeebee

LOL, I like the one you found better. I don't like to buy things for recipes that I don't normally keep as staples. Your find has less ingredients and is simpler. :BigHand:

YouPdWhat

Mod Of The Month July 2007
Trader Group
I'm the same way, hate to buy if I don't have to.

This thread has now made me want to make parfaits tonight! Thanks Jane, LOL!!

M

maree_strawberry

There is something that comes in a small container like milk that you add powdered sugar to. Sorry the name eludes me at the moment.

You mean Heavy Whipping Cream?

I remember seeing on Infomercials where they use Very cold Skim milk?
And for some reason It has to be SKIM milk.

B

brixtonrileightaylor

they had this cool whip topping maker they did a special on our local new station "does it work" it works like the reddiwhip cans, you add milk or cream or something like that, he gave it a thumbs up but said you'd have to add some sort of sweetner to it to give it a sweet taste..for the life of me i cant remember what it was called! i think it was one of those infomercial type products

B

BzyBee

Is there a reason you would want to make the 'topping' instead of real whipped cream?

M

MrsPinecone

Whipping cream?

That's real whipped cream, which is far superior to whipped topping, IMO.

B

billig

I thought the title to this thread was a joke! But now I see making your own coolwhip is real...I'd just always whip real whipping cream (next to the milk at the grocery store) and add some sugar and vanilla to it.
But I bet one of the good things about coolwhip is it probably lasts longer. I wouldn't make a dessert with whipping cream unless I intended to serve it that day...it won't look as nice the next day

JANE4girls

Member Of The Month July 2008
Trader Group
I think it was dream whip my mom used to use. but I like the idea of whipping cream or the powdered milk recipe too. I will have to give them a try and see which one holds up better in the freezer.

thanks for all the input gals!

M

maree_strawberry

Yep, I looked @ Kroger tonight & It's Heavy Whipping Cream. Pint & quart size... HTH!

Look around the Milk Isle. :wink068:

oooooh rich, yummy!!!!

M

Mom2my3sons

I thought the title to this thread was a joke! But now I see making your own coolwhip is real...I'd just always whip real whipping cream (next to the milk at the grocery store) and add some sugar and vanilla to it.
But I bet one of the good things about coolwhip is it probably lasts longer. I wouldn't make a dessert with whipping cream unless I intended to serve it that day...it won't look as nice the next day

I started laughing when I saw the title too.

B

bluedaisy

I take heavy cream or whipping cream and just whip it like I'd do to make meringue. Keep at it until it becomes fluffy. Yo'ure putting air into it as you beat it w/ a beater. I put a conservative amt of powdered sugar in it and if i have it, cream of tarter. It is not storable like whipped cream, you ahve to use it on THAT dessert and then throw out what is unused.

E

eppo

I take heavy cream or whipping cream and just whip it like I'd do to make meringue. Keep at it until it becomes fluffy. Yo'ure putting air into it as you beat it w/ a beater. I put a conservative amt of powdered sugar in it and if i have it, cream of tarter. It is not storable like whipped cream, you ahve to use it on THAT dessert and then throw out what is unused.
i make whipped cream sorta like this without th cream of tarter..i dont need the stiffness. lol. but i add a little brown sugar to it. yummy!!!!