Dead Deal Can I participate in Target gift card promos if I use my EBT card?

S

sati769leigh

Re: Target: Food Stamps and Quaker promo......

just wanted to repeat. the reason i believe that you are asked to pay for the final $5 in a target gift card food deal and paying with food stamps is cuase gift cards are good on alcohol and cigs. because i dont have these issues paying with food stamps and getting RR and ECBs in the past. but those are not good on cigs or alcohol. see? i avoided this issue somewhat by paying with food stamps first then using coupons then cash for the last little bit if any

L

loaslaen

just wanted to repeat. the reason i believe that you are asked to pay for the final $5 in a target gift card food deal and paying with food stamps is cuase gift cards are good on alcohol and cigs. because i dont have these issues paying with food stamps and getting RR and ECBs in the past. but those are not good on cigs or alcohol. see? i avoided this issue somewhat by paying with food stamps first then using coupons then cash for the last little bit if any

Do any Walgreens sell tobacco or alcohol? FS recipients can buy ESR products and get a gift card. What about mail-in rebates? FS recipients can get checks for mail-in rebates on food products. What about the UPromise program? FS recipients can have money added to that and can cash it out if they want.

Buying products that have rebates/rewards attached to them is not illegal. Buying a product and returning for a cash or gift card refund is.

I agree that the problem is with the registers and how Target adds the gift card and then takes it away. We all know how sometimes the register works to your advantage and sometimes to your disadvantage, but we only complain when it's a disadvantage. Different stores have registers that handle FS differently. Some will take coupons off your food total, and some will take it off your non-food total. Sometimes you have to pay tax when you use coupons, sometimes you don't. FS recipients should be able to get the deal and there's obviously just a glitch in the register software that won't allow it correctly.

F

froginpigtails

i have called corporate about this happening on several other of their food/gift card offers and they said it would be fixed and would not happen again at my store. but it did. going to call them again i guess

C

CoveredinGrace

Do any Walgreens sell tobacco or alcohol? FS recipients can buy ESR products and get a gift card. What about mail-in rebates? FS recipients can get checks for mail-in rebates on food products. What about the UPromise program? FS recipients can have money added to that and can cash it out if they want.

Buying products that have rebates/rewards attached to them is not illegal. Buying a product and returning for a cash or gift card refund is.

I agree that the problem is with the registers and how Target adds the gift card and then takes it away. We all know how sometimes the register works to your advantage and sometimes to your disadvantage, but we only complain when it's a disadvantage. Different stores have registers that handle FS differently. Some will take coupons off your food total, and some will take it off your non-food total. Sometimes you have to pay tax when you use coupons, sometimes you don't. FS recipients should be able to get the deal and there's obviously just a glitch in the register software that won't allow it correctly.

Yes, ALL Walgreens sell cigs, and most sell alcohol in some form or another. The point that was made earlier in this thread is that when you get RR's from WAGS or ECB'S from CVS, they clearly state that they are not good on specific things (alcohol, tobacco, milk, etc.) so that is how they get around it. And the feds can't stop you from applying for a rebate, but when it comes to immediate turn-around on a gift card, it's just the way the laws are written. I sorta agree with them on one hand (in that I would be the first person who upset if I felt that food stamps were being "exchanged" for gift cards that were in turn used for non-household related things), but on the other hand, everyone who is responsibly using their food stamps and couponing and trying to use their food money wisely deserve to get the same deals as anyone else and not be discriminated against simply b/c of their form of payment/economic status. That said, the law is the law, and until it changes, we must all follow it and not encourage anyone to try to "beat the system" in any way since we know it to be not legal.

P

pennywatcher

If anyone could cite/quote the specific laws, that would be useful.

L

loaslaen

If anyone could cite/quote the specific laws, that would be useful.

I did in my previous post:

"Coupons" in the following paragraph refers to "food stamps":
(From the USDA food stamp policy)

Equal treatment for coupon customers. Coupons shall be accepted
for eligible foods at the same prices and on the same terms and
conditions applicable to cash purchases of the same foods at the same
store
except that tax shall not be charged on eligible foods purchased
with coupons.

When a FS recipient purchases items that have a promotion tied to it, they are not "exchanging" their food stamps. They are buying required items that generate an additional reward/rebate. If the TERMS of buying X amount of product generate an extra reward of a gift card, the person should be able to receive that reward regardless of how they paid.

B

bbmeridian

Yes it can be considered discrimination BUT--They can give you a card but not cash. If they say no offer that they take it off the current order.

I had a similar situation with safeway and they gave me a gift card instead of cash---Hmmm

I don't know for sure the real answer but I know sam's club found rejecting ebt was discriminatory so they accept now

D

danivdp

I did in my previous post:

store except that tax shall not be charged on eligible foods purchased
with coupons.

When a FS recipient purchases items that have a promotion tied to it, they are not "exchanging" their food stamps. They are buying required items that generate an additional reward/rebate. If the TERMS of buying X amount of product generate an extra reward of a gift card, the person should be able to receive that reward regardless of how they paid.

Link to doc:

Section

J

julieandhailey

If you actually read the document they are not referring to manufacturer coupons. They are referring to the acutal food stamp coupons. In Texas we don't have those any longer. They now issue a lone star card which is just like a debit card. Am I the only one that is taking it that way?? I have read it like 3 times.:shrug7:

D

danivdp

If you actually read the document they are not referring to manufacturer coupons. They are referring to the acutal food stamp coupons. In Texas we don't have those any longer. They now issue a lone star card which is just like a debit card. Am I the only one that is taking it that way?? I have read it like 3 times.:shrug7:

I agree. I was confused at first, but when you mention it, that is exactly what they mean. BC later in the doc it talks about giving coupons as change.

D

danivdp

and on the same terms and
store

I think this is the important part though.....if I was paying with Cash, I'd get the gift card...........

D

dreamer3j

The ad for the promo didn't prohibit getting the gift card when using an EBT card for payment like it does with the prescriptions if you are on medicaid or medicare. I think we all know that the individual CS reps may not know all the company policy but I think corporate would do their homework prior to running the sale in their add. As someone mentioned before if they violate the law pertaining to the use of foodstamps they can loose their license to accept food stamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

loaslaen

That is why my excerpt included the following:

P

pennywatcher

We crossed the line on this thread and so I sent a copy over to the Hot Under the Collar forum. I stripped the thread here in the Target forum down. We can talk here about whether it is or isn't legal to earn the gift card and evidence we have that it is/isn't. If earning the gift card is legal, we can talk about what order to present coupons, cash, and EBT card in a transaction so as not to confuse the register. Discussions of whether an individual thinks it's "right" for an EBT user to get the promotional gift card should go in the HUTC thread. Generalizations about food stamp recipients should go in the HUTC thread, if anywhere.

I've contacted the USDA/FNS on this question, but I expect it will be awhile before I get a response.

T

tenisha

It is not against the law in any state to utilize state aid in any form with store promotions or discounts. According to the UDSA Food and Nutrition Services, and State HRA agencies, any store accepting EBT/Food Stamps/WIC denying particular incentives to individuals because they are not paying in "cash" counts as discrimination, and the offending stores will be penalized. As long as the aid was used for both whom and what it was intended to be used for, any other bonus promotions are totally acceptable. I got my information first hand in various letters that I've written myself to these agencies concerning similar scenarios.

This makes the Quaker gift card deal valid to even customers paying with foodstamps- and even WIC. Let's say that there is a B1G1F promotion at a store for cereal. If someone had a WIC voucher allowing them to get two boxes of that particular cereal , then they are entitled to four boxes because the WIC transaction was done during the time of that store promotion. The same would apply even if the promotion was "buy two boxes of cereal and get a $5 GC", even if the cereal was purchased using a WIC voucher. The same goes with WIC transactions and coupons. The same said WIC voucher for two boxes of cereal is still valid for getting two more boxes of cereal if someone has two B1G1F coupons. A store which accepts both EBT/WIC and manufacturer's coupons cannot deny a customer using state aid any services that it allows "cash paying" customers. The "abuse" is only in let's say if someone tries to re-sell food intended for themselves or minor children (purchased with state aid) to someone else for cash-absolutely illegal.

Just because someone says that they work for an agency - particularly state and government agencies does not in any shape, form, or fashion make them expert authorities. The guidelines, rules and regulations for these agencies are so intricate and have titles, sections, laws and by laws that are so detailed and long- (think of three or four telephone directories combined as one book kind of long) that there are things that even social workers are still learning after years of in field experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pennywatcher

The response I got back from FNS/USDA was:

This is in response to your inquiry to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly the Food Stamp Program. You said that Target was giving customers a gift card when they purchased boxes of oatmeal and wanted to know if SNAP recipients were eligible for the gift card.

Program regulations require that SNAP benefits “shall be accepted for eligible foods at the same prices and on the same terms and conditions applicable to cash purchases of the same foods at the same store.” This means that you should be eligible for the gift cards.

I hope this information is helpful.

L

loaslaen

The response I got back from FNS/USDA was:

Program regulations require that SNAP benefits “shall be accepted for eligible foods at the same prices and on the same terms and conditions applicable to cash purchases of the same foods at the same store.â€￾ This means that you should be eligible for the gift cards.

Originally Posted by loaslaen

store except that tax shall not be charged on eligible foods purchased
with coupons.

:whistle67:

:thanks99::smile: