Stockpiling 101 Building Your Stockpile

Discussion in 'Stockpiling 101' started by MrsPinecone, Oct 12, 2006.

1. mommas2moody

mommas2moody New Member Trader Group

I too keep prices in my head. When you buy certain things over and over again, you just know. For example, diapers. After having 4 kids the price of diapers has just stuck. LOL

Anyway, I am one that has a limited space for stockpile items. So what I have done is focus purely on the items that I use the most. We are big tea drinkers so I keep a good stash of it, or try to anyway. Noodles is another items that is a good stockpile item for us. So many meals can be made with noodles. I no longer keep alot of condiments anymore with the exception of ketchup. I have learned that we typically use about 2 small bottles of mustard per year so why keep 10? Cereal is another good one, we don't eat cereal enough to keep 50 boxes. I have space allotted for 10 and that's my limit which works well.

I do however try to keep as much HBA as I can. With 5 girls in the house, we go through a lot and 2 of them are about to hit the teenage years. Our needs are about to start changing and the stockpile will need adjusting.

My biggest advise would be to focus on the needs of your family first. Then branch outward. Good Luck.

2. KathyZ

KathyZ New Member

Im wondering... I dont see any new posts.. But heres my question.. if I use pasta sauce maybe twice a month and have probably 20 jars/cans... That means I already have a stockpile. But if I use Alfredo sauce once a week and have 6 jars, not so much of a stockpile... yes Im a newbie! I have specific plans on my stockpiling. The things I need most like toilet paper, body wash, diapers, pull ups, snacks, razors, etc.. so I dont have to buy them ever... :hysterical6: Or at least for a while.

3. JulieDB

JulieDB New Member

You just have to be careful that you don't get too much. I don't know how many kids you have. I have only the one. Seemed that every time I'd find a good deal on diapers, she'd grow and go up a size. Thankfully I didn't keep a huge stockpile of diapers but I always seemed to have most of a bag to throw out. And no, I didn't know anyone else who could use them.

I didn't think one could have too much toilet paper but... It can deteriorate if it is super old. I know this from a friend who cleaned out his dad's house after he moved his dad in with him. He said he didn't know how old the paper was, but it was pretty much just dust.

I have been buying my body wash at Costco. It seems to be larger sized bottles and I buy it when they put out a coupon. Forgot to buy it the last time but that's probably okay. I do have two more bottles and they are quite large so those will last me a while. For a while I was buying it at Target because they had really good deals. But not lately. That too can deteriorate with age so I would probably only keep enough for a year.

I have to be careful with razors. I tend to get too many of them. But now husand and daughter have gone all picky and will only use certain kinds. I guess I am picky too but in a different way. For them, the more blades the better! Actually husband is not picky as to brand but daughter is. For some reason, I don't get a good shave if there are more than 2 blades so I will only use those. And there are rarely coupons for those these days. So I mainly look for a good sale or use those when I am online shopping at Walmart and need to add a few dollars to my order to get the free shipping.

Snacks can be tricky. Not only can they go stale pretty quickly, but in this house, as soon as I stock up on something, they'll stop eating whatever it is! I try hard to keep mainly healthy things for snacks. Apple slices, applesauce, canned or fresh fruit, although mostly canned because I never know when they'll eat fresh and I'm not a fruit lover. Cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt. Fresh veggies. I do buy frozen fruit pops and thankfully there are coupons for those out now. They will eat those. Pan popped popcorn. But... I will buy other things sometimes if they are on a good sale and/or I have a coupon. I just try not to buy too much at a time.

4. LouisvilleKYGuy

LouisvilleKYGuy New Member

I am a sole provider for a family of 3. My wife, 3 year old son, and myself. I am looking for stockpiling several things. Bodywash, Razors(I shave my head), etc. Any good ideas on where to get these for a good buck if not free...????

5. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Member of the Month June 2012 <br>Queen Of The Cir Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

Bodywash, razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes and other items like that can fairly regularly be had for free.
    A coupon just expired last week ($3/1 Bic disposable razors)
    I was able to get 4 ct Bic Comfort 3's and 14 ct bonus packs of Bic Silky Touch for .03 overage at Walmart. (which went toward the tax, so I actually paid .15 per package, in tax.)

There are deals quite often at the drugstores (Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid) keep your eyes out for those. (Check out our forums for those stores)
    Eco Tools bath poufs are currently free at Walmart (I just printed the coupons last night) there is a coupon on their Facebook page and you can also print them from coupons.com. The coupons are $1/1 and they cost between .87 & .97 at Walmart.

There is currently a freebie text offer from Schick HERE for a free razor.
    Check out our freebie forum, there are many great offers for free samples and sometimes free full sized products (right now you can get a coupon for a free 2 liter of Pepsi Next) and often times they come with great coupons.

If you have more questions, ask away!

6. Ajjackson26

Ajjackson26 New Member

This was so helpful, thank you. My friend had explained stockpile to me but I still didn't really understand WHY she has 100 bottles of shampoo. But I guess it never goes bad so why not. My only question is how do you know what's a cheap enough item to stock pile? I know if it's free, that's good but what would a max amount be? How do I know the specific item isn't going to be cheaper the following week?

7. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

A lot depends on the region in which you live. There are a lot of things that factor into prices.

The more competition among merchants, the lower the prices.

Prices are higher in some regions of the country than others -- California, as an example.

Also, coupon values are often higher in certain regions of the country and coupon policies vary from one area to the next. Some consumers still enjoy double or even triple coupons, while regions like ours only got them for a short while before they disappeared entirely.

A lot also depends on how much of a particular item you have on hand. If you drink tons of coffee and are nearly out, $5.99 may be a great price at that moment, however, if you've got several months supply on hand, you may want to wait until the price drops to $3.99. However, stockpiling $3.99 coffee is nothing but a waste of money to someone who rarely drinks the stuff.

Even if you can get another brand for $3.99, you may be thrilled to find the ONLY brand you drink for $5.99 and your neighbor in another state may never get that same gourmet coffee for less than $6.99.

The longer you coupon, the more you will know what the best price is for your area. When you are just starting out, the best thing you can do is study, study study.

Study the grocery ads each week. You'll soon see that most stores cycle products through on a regular basis. After a while, you will be able to spot a great "loss leader" when a store offers it and you can pounce on it.

Study the tips others post here in HCW. It is amazing the deals some of them can find!

And most of all, study the items you use regularly and how quickly you go through them so you will know how much you will need before the next sale comes around.

Green is Gold and jastwins like this.
  8. Ajjackson26

Ajjackson26 New Member

Wow thank you so much!! It's def gonna take some time to catch on! I appreciate your help!

Gardencook likes this.
  9. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

It takes a while, but before long you'll get the hang of it.

Welcome to HCW. You'll find a lot of great people around here to give you helpful tips when you get stumped. :)

10. My Coupon Hunter

My Coupon Hunter New Member

It sounds reasonable..

11. queenofthehivemomof5

queenofthehivemomof5 Admin Hottie Trader Group

Knowing what is a good stockpile price is something you do learn over time. But for new couponers I like to recommend to start with cheaper than generics. So for example if the generic box of store brand cereal is normally priced at let's say $2.00 if you can get the name brand equivalent cheaper than $2.00 after sale and coupon then go ahead and stockpile at that price. Everything will go on sale again eventually and you may find yourself able to get that cereal cheaper (or free), but for now aim for cheaper than generic. Now if there is a brand of something you absolutely adore...a favorite laundry detergent or pasta sauce or something then start with trying to get it at 1/2 price or better before really stocking up.

For example my husband only likes Irish Spring body wash and really would prefer not to use any other brand. So with that in mind I know that it is about $3.50 a bottle (give or take) at Walmart everyday. So I am always looking to see when it goes on sale with coupons and aim to re-stock my stockpile when I can get it for $1.75 a bottle or less. There have been times I have gotten it for 50ยข a bottle and times I have paid $1.00 a bottle and times I have paid $1.75. I like to keep a constant stockpile of 15 - 20 bottles in the cupboard because that is the use of 1 year in our household (my husband and boys both use it). It seems like a lot of body wash to keep but it has a shelf life of 2+ years easily if stored under proper conditions.

My Coupon Hunter likes this.
  12. ziggyfraid

ziggyfraid New Member

Thanks for the tips, i've started saving coupons and will get started on my stockpile soon