Bread Machine Recipes (Several)

T

thickbluebug

I have a new sunbeam 2# bread maker. I have tried wheat bread in it several times and it was hard and chewy.
I did not try a smaller loaf, but I did suggestions about changing ingredients. Different yeast, extra tablespoon of this and that, changed the darkness level.

I have wasted so much money trying to make bread.

Help!

We would love to make:

wheat bread
white bread
sweet bread
fruit and nut breads
pizza crusts
sugar free jams/jelly

S

Socsay36

I have a new sunbeam 2# bread maker. I have tried wheat bread in it several times and it was hard and chewy.
I did not try a smaller loaf, but I did suggestions about changing ingredients. Different yeast, extra tablespoon of this and that, changed the darkness level.

I have wasted so much money trying to make bread.

Help!

We would love to make:

wheat bread
white bread
sweet bread
fruit and nut breads
pizza crusts
sugar free jams/jelly

For what it's worth here is a recipe for pizza crust, it's the first one we really liked.

1 ts sugar
2 ts salt
1/4 cup cornmeal (plus another tbsp for dusting pizza paddle or cookie sheet)
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
3 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/4 cups water (plus an additional 1 or 2 tbsp if the mixture looks dry and crumbly after the first 10 minutes)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp yeast

1. Place all ing. in the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
2. Program the machine for the dough setting and press start
3. After the cycle completes, remove the dough from the machine and let it rest for 10 minutes at room temp.
4. If you have a pizza stone or tiles, place them on the middle rack of the oven
5. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
6. Sprinkle paddle or cookie sheet with additional cornmeal
7. Use your hands or a floured rolling pin to from a flat 10 to 12 inch disk
8. Place the rolled out dough onto either the pizza paddle or cookie sheet
9. Optional: place shredded cheese, such as mozzarella, around the perimeter and roll the dough over the cheese for a thick cheese filled border.
10. Add the toppings of your choice
11.Slide the pizza onto the hot stone or tiles (if using) or slide the cookie sheet into the oven
12 Bake for 18 min.

For homemade bread we found we like the basic white bread recipe in the book your bread machine comes with. We just do half white and half wheat.

E

ekander

I love baking. I do have a basic white bread recipe that I am constantly adding extras to to make it different. Always seams to work for me. I always use the light setting for regular bread.
Basic Dough
1 c plus 2 tbsp. water
1 1/2 tsp. yeast ( I use bread machine yeast)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp butter or marg
2 tbsp powdered milk ( use dry milk- really don't know why??lol)
2 tbsp sugar
3 c flour

That's plain white bread
I also make Peanut butter and jelly bread-- kids LOVE it
Same receipe as above but add (if your machine has an add stuff in beep add it then, if not put it on top of flour.)
1/3 c p. butter
1/3 c jelly
House will smell great!!!

Oatmeal bread
Okay for this one I use instant oatmeal packs... like the apple cinnamon myself.
Follow same steps for basic bread but add only 1 cup flour and then add 3 packages of your instant oatmeal.

Pizza dough
Well this one is different
1 c plus 2 tbs water
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tbs dry powder milk
3 c. flour
Use the dough setting, mine takes like an hour to make. When its finished take it out and knead it with cornmeal.. sometimes i add a little parmesan cheese... roll onto pan bake at 400 till light light brown...

maybe that'll help
Beth:smile:

S

Socsay36

I love baking. I do have a basic white bread recipe that I am constantly adding extras to to make it different. Always seams to work for me. I always use the light setting for regular bread.
Basic Dough
1 c plus 2 tbsp. water
1 1/2 tsp. yeast ( I use bread machine yeast)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp butter or marg
2 tbsp powdered milk ( use dry milk- really don't know why??lol)
2 tbsp sugar
3 c flour

That's plain white bread
Same receipe as above but add (if your machine has an add stuff in beep add it then, if not put it on top of flour.)
1/3 c p. butter
1/3 c jelly

Oatmeal bread
Okay for this one I use instant oatmeal packs... like the apple cinnamon myself.
Follow same steps for basic bread but add only 1 cup flour and then add 3 packages of your instant oatmeal.

Pizza dough
Well this one is different
1 c plus 2 tbs water
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tbs dry powder milk
3 c. flour
Use the dough setting, mine takes like an hour to make. When its finished take it out and knead it with cornmeal.. sometimes i add a little parmesan cheese... roll onto pan bake at 400 till light light brown...

maybe that'll help

I like the sound of that Pb&J recipe. I think i'll give it a try today.

F

frugalphoebe

That's plain white bread
1/3 c p. butter
1/3 c jelly

Oatmeal bread

Never heard of those before, will definitely have to give those a try! Thanks!

D

Dealio

Whenever a recipe calls for whole wheat flour, ex: 3 cups WW flour, I'll add 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten. The VWG lightens the loaf and does wonders for the bread's texture, and rise.

Here's a WW recipe for bread machine:
Whole Wheat-Herb Bread (for bread machine)

1 ½ pound loaf size

1 cup milk
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp cooking oil
3 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup gluten flour (I used Vital Wheat Gluten)
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
¼ tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp active dry yeast, or bread machine yeast
¼ cup shelled sunflower seeds (optional)

Add ingredients to the machine according to the manufacturer's directions. If available, select the whole grain cycle, or the basic white bread cycle. (Better Homes & Gardens Biggest Book of bread machine recipes)

I ended up putting in about ½ cup more of water, probably drier because of the arid climate. It came out GREAT! Best whole wheat bread I've made so far, even thought I forgot to crush the herbs. It has flavor, and very aromatic. The bread was moist but firm. I didn't have any sunflower seeds. Maybe next time.

F

frugalphoebe

Whenever a recipe calls for whole wheat flour, ex: 3 cups WW flour, I'll add 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten. The VWG lightens the loaf and does wonders for the bread's texture, and rise.

What is that, and where do you get it?

T

thickbluebug

They sell it the grocery stores now. Look around the flour. I use to buy it online years ago for low carb baking.
Not sure how it works, but it does make heavy bread stuff rise more and makes it lighter weight.
LOL, low carb baked stuff is like hokey pucks, vwg - makes it more like a dried sponge. hard and chewy, but when you are low carbing....better than nothing.

Lots of people have food allergies to it.

D

Dealio

I get Arrowhead Mills Vital Wheat Gluten at Wal Mart, or in the grocery store's natural food aisle.

From Arrowhead Mills website:
Gluten is the natural protein portion of the grain and is separated from whole wheat with pure water. It is responsible for the stretchiness of dough and for the shapes that baked goods hold. That is why it is the secret ingredient of professional bakers who use it for producing doughs, breads, rolls, and pastries.

You can also find it at King Arthur Flour and Hodgson Mills (also at WM or grocery stores)

J

jennrn

I just bought a Sunbeam programmable bread maker also!! I love it.
Here's a recipe from Better Homes & gardens:

Easy Whole Wheat Bread

For 1 1/2 pound loaf
1 cup milk
3 tbsp water
4 teaspoon honey or sugar
1 tbsn butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups of bread flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp active dry yeast

Now I actually use 1 cup of water and 3 tablespoons of powdered milk
and when I put the ingredients in this exact order, before I put the yeast I make a little hole with my 2 fingers and put the yeast in. I used the whole wheat setting and light crust but have changed to the 'sweet bread' setting for a lighter crust. Just watch and see how the ball is forming but it usually is YUM OO!!

F

frugalphoebe

ty for your answer, I think I know what you are talking about now.
I know someone whose kids have an allergy to wheat gluten, now that you say that.

D

Dealio

Here's my family's favorite white bread recipe:
Egg Bread

1 ½ – pound loaf

¾ cup milk
1 egg
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, cut up
3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons sugar
¾ teaspoon salt (make sure it's fresh)
1 teaspoon active dry yeast or bread machine yeast (I use 1 & ¼ teaspoon because of high altitude)

1.Add the ingredients to the machine according to the manufacturer's directions. Select basic white bread cycle.
2.Some directions say to add more water or flour during the second kneading. I have found (and maybe this is again based on high altitude) that any extra water or flour should be added during the first mixing/kneading. My bread does better when it is a nice dough ball while it rests until the 2nd kneading.

T

thickbluebug

wahoo, guys!

I am digging the bread maker back out and I am going to try some of these this week.

L

latte

icon1.gif
Re: Bread Machine
i have a bread machine, its that zorichi (or however its spelled) a one pound loaf machine withthe jam setting, and dough and pasta, i love it! i have no clue how much mine was as frankenstein got it for free ---where he works, upgrades =points and points=merchandise---so you wanna tell me how much your bank statement said?

my machine has a basic bread recipe right on the side on a sticker, i often follow that, then at the add beep (usually about 25? maybe 35 minutes ) later i like to add a variety of things
*3 oz of smashed crumbled chocolate(ive been using one small ghiradelli bar at a time gotten for free or a few tablespoons of dark chocolate)---noticed i didnt like how cocoa powder tastes for chocolate bread, and so far since ive smashed it well, the chocolate seems to melt threw the entire loaf, so its not "chocolate chip bread" its acutally chocolate bread, this is what i use for french toast
*3 tablespoons of cinamon chips (hersheys makes them) and either 3 tablesspoons of dried diced apples or walnuts, does the same as chocolate bread does, awesome for french toast or topped with apple sauce and whip cream
*1 tablespoon garic powder(not salt) and 2 tablespoons itialilan seasonings, best freeking bread to go with speggeti! also makes awesome bread crumbs and croutons

i have experimented a bit more, but those are the top 3 favs in my house, a loaf NEVER lasts longer then 24 hours (we also dont eat hardly any sandwiches?) but its also only a 1 pound loaf of bread, i average about 10 slices per loaf----as long as frankenstien doesnt cut the bread, cause then i only get 5??? oh wait, i also dont let him use my knives as i keep them very very sharp.....

i use instant yeast bought in bulk at winco (its been 6 months since i bought yeast so i dont know how much it is anywhere else but i think it was 4.00ish apound?) its stored in an empty frosting container onthe shelf, but i may buy new yeast and see if theres a diffeernec between non fridged yeast and counter stored yeast

my prep time? less then 5 minutes as i can have a loaf of bread started before espresso is done, except for the add beep, my machine also has a delayedstart setting, so i can set it before i go tobed, and wake upto freshly baked bread thats just finishing as i get up(i think up to 13 hours for the delay)

my costs for bread? i honestly hve no clue what it costs to make a loaf, most of my cost is additions (dried blueberries are 13.97 apound here!!! chocolate i can get really close to free, dried apples i buy in bulk but i havent bought any in about 6 months but i think they are 4.50 a pound) whole wheat flour is about $5 for a 10 pound bag, i mix that in with the free flour my friend gives me---she gets food boxes, and always gets way more flour then she needs so she gives me her flour. i think ive bought flour 3 times in the last 6 months? instant milk is also called for in the basic recipe too (2 tablespoons) but i use that for other cooking instead of milk so i cant really calculate the cost, but the last box i bought was close to $10 at walmart a few weeks ago

things i found that you do NOT do
*dont open the lid before the add beep as if you do, the bread starts to bake and lumpy bread is gross----we ended up with a "loaf of bread" that was lieklittle bread balls, really doughy, and didnt rise at all
*herb added into a one pound machine, should never be more then 3tablesspoons
total (more then this the bread doesnt seem to rise right)
* chunky ingrediants should never be more then 3/4 a cup total (more then this in my machine just ends up not rising, or falling in the middle)

*this is one of MY posts located elsewhere on the hcw board---i had copied and pasted it on to one of the frugal sites i visit, for some reason i couldnt locate MY post on it here, so it got copied and pasted back here from the frugal site*

J

jennrn

latte thanks for your post. A lot of useful info. OK, how or can you store breadcrumbs?

L

latte

depends on the flavor of bread crumbs? if its just "plain" bread (as in nota "sweet bread") i just put the crumbs in a plastic jar with a lid (the jar is now full of a mix of stale pulverized cheerios, bread crumbs, biscuit crumbs, cracker crumbs) on my shelf

i use them for anything from homemade chicken nuggets, to meatball "fillers" to casserole toppings

i havent had any go "stale" on me, stored the way i have them

as for "sweet bread" crumbs, those i freeze because often there is fruit(even if dried) in them and then we will use those on top of icecream