Bread and Rolls NOT with a machine

M

mrsbradley

Does anybody make sourdough bread, yeast rolls or cinnamon rolls? I am determined to learn how to make this stuff this fall/winter and I'm looking for recipes and tips. I don't have a bread machine and would like to avoid buying one as I don't have the cabinet space for it!!

I love yeast rolls like O'Charley's serves, or Golden Corral, those fluffy, buttery, soft rolls...yum...I would die to know how to make them perfectly like that.

My MIL uses a sourdough recipe that has instant mashed potatoes in the starter...I tried that last year and I think I made vodka. :giggle2: It totally flopped, the bread smelled like pure grain alcohol even after it baked. When I've tried using yeast, it doesn't exactly "dissolve" like it says it will, it kinda cakes up and clings to my spoon.

I know someone on here makes bread the old-fashioned way! Help!

G

Gameelia

My mother taught me to use frozen white or wheat bread dough (like Rhodes or Bridgford) to make carmel/cinamon rolls. I also use frozen bread dough to make my own dinner rolls and even hamburger buns. If you want the recipes, I'd be happy to send them.

L

lmcconne

On the subject of yeast, are you using a thermometer? The temperature range is indicated on the package (105 - 115), and I would not trust my sense of touch on that, even though I've been making bread from scratch (OK, I did not mill my own flour) for many years.

I sprinkle the yeast in the bowl, pour the warm water (105 - 115) over it and give a quick stir with the spoon and then remove the spoon. Wait the recommended three or five minutes and then dive back in with the spoon to swirl and see if did dissolve sufficiently. If so, you're ready to start adding ingredients.

On the subject of "Golden Corral" rolls, there are clone recipes on the web which I find acceptable. I've not really tried one which is exactly right, but still are fine. I can post one if you like.

Something else which is good, is the clone for Outback brown bread.

Another trick, I let my roll dough rise the first time, form the rolls, place them on wax paper on a cookie sheet in the freezer until they harden, then pop the frozen uncooked rolls in a ziploc bag for cold storage. Best part about this is I can have fresh cooked rolls for weeks after doing the initial labor-intensive part one time. (This is exactly the same thing you get from a lot of frozen bread dough commercially available.)

J

jkelstaten

I use the recipes straight from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbooks.

I've found it's best to start the dough using a mixer. I love my Kitchenaid mixer, but any mixer will do for starting it.

Try using recipes that call for the yeast to be mixed with a portion of the flour first, and then tell you to add the warm liquid. An awesome bread maker told me that the liquid should be just warm to the touch. Not too hot or it won't work. When in doubt use a thermometer. I used one to start with & now I know what it should feel like.

My favorite roll recipe is in the BHG cookbook.

M

mrsbradley

Bring on the recipes, everyone! I did try making angel biscuits about a month ago with some success...I did the trick you suggested lmcconne, I made several and freezed them on a cookie sheet and just baked a few at a time. They turned out okay, but they didn't rise very much...but I can't figure if that was because I messed something up or if I just rolled the dough too thin.

I have used the thermometer to make sure my water is the right temp. I guess I just need to keep practicing! Thanks for your responses so far!!!

S

shashabell

I'm not much of a bread maker. I used to buy the frozen stuff until someone gave me a recipe for Sally Lund bread. I don't have it anymore with all the moving I have done since then, but there are variations found if you google Sally Lund bread. It's soooo easy to make. No kneading, rolling all that hard stuff. You just mix it and it's really easier than I would ever have thought.