Braised beef short ribs

C

chitownmelli

This recipe is fantastic for cooking up tender and flavorful beef short ribs. i use some red wine in mine, if you do not like red wine in your food (it makes the sauce very rich and intense) you can just replace it with beef stock. Also, the recipe calls for 1 pound of ribs, I use 2-3 pounds and don't really increase the liquid by all that much, and I cook in the oven for that "surround" type heat rather than on the stovetop like the orginal recipe calls for. The stovetop method received rave reviews as well, so it's really whichever you prefer.

Braised short ribs

1 pound beef short ribs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic
6 - 12 oz red wine depending on taste
1 cup beef stock

• Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour until coated. Shake off the excess flour.
  • Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the ribs until browned on each side, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Return the ribs to the skillet and pour in the wine. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, until all of the browned bits have mixed in with the liquid. Pour in the beef stock, cover and simmer over low heat until very tender, about 2 hours.
These can be served with pasta, they go great placed over mashed potatoes and the sauce poured over them, they could be cooked to go in another dish, they are very versatile.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
melli - do you actually use a skillet for this? I've been thinking a lot about cookware lately (and considering starting a thread on it) but I find I never use a skillet because it's too hard to keep stuff from sloshing over or if I'm frying something it spatters everywhere. Tell me about the cookware you use. I really love non-stick but know it's not great for everything.

C

chitownmelli

I use my enamel coated cast iron dutch oven for this. I dont think I personally could use a skillet, I would slob all over the kitchen lol!!!! The extremely heavy dutch oven is one of my favorite cooking tools.

I was given the nonstick rachel ray cookware for our wedding. I like it enough, I would like stainless for my next set with a couple of nonstick on the side for those situations where you would rather use them, eggs for example :)

F

froggie3

We have all stainless at our house with 1 green pan(nonstick but not teflon) and a cast iron skillet. I want a cast iron dutch oven....but am leaning towards the not enamel coated one.