Big Lots Big Lots ~ Roll Call For Big Lots Shoppers

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Our store had Barilla whole wheat pasta on sale two for $3.00 -- when you buy two. It was a printed sign, so I'm thinking it should be chain-wide.

It is $1 a box if you only purchase one. The discount would bring it down to 60 cents a box. Not as good a deal as the Kroger mega sale, but they had a better selection than our tiny store.
Is this funny math?? Is it really more expensive if you buy 2?

There were 64-ounce jugs of hand soap for $2.50 -- $2 after discount.
@greenfrog57.

Thanks for the hand soap refills -- I actually need some!
I'm heading to Big Lots today to get the Fresh Finds tomatoes and green chile cans (the stock was so low last time I went) and see about canned beans.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Is this funny math?? Is it really more expensive if you buy 2?
Thanks for the hand soap refills -- I actually need some!
I'm heading to Big Lots today to get the Fresh Finds tomatoes and green chile cans (the stock was so low last time I went) and see about canned beans.

I have NO idea what happened on the pasta. That is supposed to read two for $1.50! I must have been tired when I typed it. lol! I'll fix it in the original post so I don't confuse someone else.

I don't think I've ever seen the tomatoes you mentioned at our store, but then I'm overloaded on tomatoes so I haven't been shopping for them. I remember when you mentioned them in another thread a while back.

First I got a markdown deal on Muir Glen for about 69 cents a can.

After that I found quite a few cans of name-brand, salt-free on clearance for 25 cents a can. They weren't organic, but we so rarely get them without salt that I told myself I could buy them even though I was already overstocked on tomatoes.

Then I went to another store and found clearance organic, salt-free ones for about the same price! How could I pass on them?

After that I found Muir Glen organic, fire-roasted on markdown -- and those are my favorite. I make a point of buying those any time I can get a deal, because they've got SO much flavor. They also had some large cans for about the same price.

We're eating tomatoes in EVERYTHING! ;)

Gardencook

Trader Group
Picked up what looked like a good deal today. They've got eight packs of compact LED flashlights that come with 24 AAA batteries to power them. They're normally $10 a set, but with the discount they come down to $8 -- $1 for each flashlight.

We've had some of the same type flashlights in the past that I've picked up at our favorite discount store. They don't last forever, but we generally get our money's worth out of them. They're so handy in my purse for emergencies and DH is ALWAYS grabbing flashlights. I do miss the days when EVERYTHING was NOT disposable! :confused:

Did catch a BIG mistake, thankfully. They've had 2.75 ounce bottles of coarse ground pepper for $1 for quite a while. Today they had slightly larger bottles (about 3.5 ounces?) on an end cap. It looked like they were also $1 so I bought those instead.

DH was trying to help unload the cart, and didn't realize he was blocking my view of the computer display. I couldn't watch prices. (I was trying not to show my irritation. :oops:) Made sure to check the receipt on the way to the car and we'd been charged $12 for five bottles of pepper!

DH took them back inside and the end cap bottles had a small "and up" after the $1 sign. Apparently, the slightly larger bottles are $3 before discount, but had no price sticker.

He got a refund on those and replaced them with five smaller bottles. Nearly 14 ounces for $4 is DEFINITELY better than about 16 ounces for $12! Might want to keep an eye out if you are buying pepper. ;)

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Picked up what looked like a good deal today. They've got eight packs of compact LED flashlights that come with 24 AAA batteries to power them. They're normally $10 a set, but with the discount they come down to $8 -- $1 for each flashlight.

We've had some of the same type flashlights in the past that I've picked up at our favorite discount store. They don't last forever, but we generally get our money's worth out of them. They're so handy in my purse for emergencies and DH is ALWAYS grabbing flashlights. I do miss the days when EVERYTHING was NOT disposable! :confused:

Did catch a BIG mistake, thankfully. They've had 2.75 ounce bottles of coarse ground pepper for $1 for quite a while. Today they had slightly larger bottles (about 3.5 ounces?) on an end cap. It looked like they were also $1 so I bought those instead.

DH was trying to help unload the cart, and didn't realize he was blocking my view of the computer display. I couldn't watch prices. (I was trying not to show my irritation. :oops:) Made sure to check the receipt on the way to the car and we'd been charged $12 for five bottles of pepper!

DH took them back inside and the end cap bottles had a small "and up" after the $1 sign. Apparently, the slightly larger bottles are $3 before discount, but had no price sticker.

He got a refund on those and replaced them with five smaller bottles. Nearly 14 ounces for $4 is DEFINITELY better than about 16 ounces for $12! Might want to keep an eye out if you are buying pepper. ;)

You must like pepper, but $12 worth is over budget! WOW!

Gardencook

Trader Group
You must like pepper, but $12 worth is over budget! WOW!

I've been using (sometimes hiding) turmeric in a LOT of foods, but turmeric and black pepper work synergistically together so I've been using more black pepper along with it. Used to grab cayenne instead of black pepper before that ... :rolleyes:

I've always liked coarse ground pepper on top of salads and things though, so it isn't a tough transition. Wish the "experts" would make up their minds though. lol!

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
@greenfrog57 , don't know if this is a regional or national change, but we were in our store a short while ago and the clerk told us that today they are starting a new rewards program. Seems like I saw a blogger talking about a similar program a while back, but couldn't find out anything about it in our area. Perhaps they tested it in one region and are expanding it? I don't know.

Anyway, found an e-mail in my box when we got home from the store. The new program offers:

A $5 Reward after every three purchases. The fine print says one purchase per day.

A $10 Reward for every $200 furniture purchase.

More frequent coupons the more you spend.

A birthday surprise -- if you have a date listed on your account.

VIP Shopping Days -- basically, the 20% Friends and Family Days we already get.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
I've got a question for any Big Lots shoppers -- @greenfrog57 or @jastwins perhaps? Did you happen to get a best customer coupon by e-mail this week?

I may (or may not) have gotten my first $5 reward the other day. I'm still not quite positive. The site says it takes about 7-14 days for the reward to show up and this one was in my e-mail when I got home from the store. It may be coincidental timing or the purchase may have generated a coupon.

The coupon is for $5 off a $15 purchase or $15 off a $50 purchase, and doesn't say anything about it being a "reward" so it may simply be a best customer coupon which would have arrived anyway. Who knows?

I just checked our account and even though we've made three purchases since November 1 when the new program started, and the site has all three purchases recorded in our history, it says we have "zero" purchases toward our next reward -- so we'll see if a specific rewards coupon shows up. :confused:

I did notice that the site now says you are limited to one purchase every week instead of one purchase each day as the fine print listed the day the program started, so they have made some changes in the past couple weeks. We're thinking of going out of town today, so that means if I find something in the other Big Lots store, it apparently won't count following our purchase a couple days ago.

Not thrilled about that, but other than travel it probably won't affect us much since I only go about once every week or two here in town.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
@Gardencook, no emails for me. I do not shop much at Big Lots.

The last one they opened was not impressive and the employees told me they did not take coupons?

Gardencook

Trader Group
@Gardencook, no emails for me. I do not shop much at Big Lots.

The last one they opened was not impressive and the employees told me they did not take coupons?

Big Lots stores can definitely be hit and miss. We've been in a few that leave a bit to be desired.

Since they are a liquidation store, they don't take manufacturer coupons -- just the ones they send out or post on their site or send you. Those aren't on individual products but usually save $X when you purchase $XX dollars worth of merchandise. Then about three times a year they have Friends and Family events with coupons offering 20% off your entire purchase over a weekend.

They used to be cheaper on just about everything in the store, however, they don't seem to have as many deals as they used to and lately you can find some items in the store that are cheaper at the grocery store -- even when there isn't a sale.

Once in a while they'll still get in a deal that makes it worth the trip, however, and there are some brands that we can only get at Big Lots. Of course the fact that they opened a store just down the road from us -- less than a half mile -- makes it very convenient. ;)

Gardencook

Trader Group
Okay, don't know if anyone is interested, but the coupon I received last week was NOT my bonus for making three purchases. Apparently, it was a best customer coupon that coincidentally arrived RIGHT after I'd just made a purchase in store. lol!

I've still got to get to the store to use it, but today I got my other coupon and it is clearly marked "reward," so that is the one I earned last week. It does take 7-14 days for an earned reward to arrive in your e-mail, just like the fine print says. It is good for $5 off a $15 purchase or $15 off a $75 purchase.

Printing it took me to my account where it clearly shows that I currently have two coupons available to use. :)

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I've got a question for any Big Lots shoppers -- @greenfrog57 or @jastwins perhaps? Did you happen to get a best customer coupon by e-mail this week?

I may (or may not) have gotten my first $5 reward the other day. I'm still not quite positive. The site says it takes about 7-14 days for the reward to show up and this one was in my e-mail when I got home from the store. It may be coincidental timing or the purchase may have generated a coupon.

The coupon is for $5 off a $15 purchase or $15 off a $50 purchase, and doesn't say anything about it being a "reward" so it may simply be a best customer coupon which would have arrived anyway. Who knows?

I just checked our account and even though we've made three purchases since November 1 when the new program started, and the site has all three purchases recorded in our history, it says we have "zero" purchases toward our next reward -- so we'll see if a specific rewards coupon shows up. :confused:

I did notice that the site now says you are limited to one purchase every week instead of one purchase each day as the fine print listed the day the program started, so they have made some changes in the past couple weeks. We're thinking of going out of town today, so that means if I find something in the other Big Lots store, it apparently won't count following our purchase a couple days ago.

Not thrilled about that, but other than travel it probably won't affect us much since I only go about once every week or two here in town.
I got the $5/$15 or $15/$50 - thanks for the reminder since it expires today.

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
New Big Lots coupon to print. Expires 12/24: https://www.hotcouponworld.com/print-your-high-value-big-lots-coupon/
big-lots-coupon-40-696x696.jpg

Gardencook

Trader Group
I got a special "anniversary" coupon while we were visiting my Mom. It was good for $5/$15 and was going to expire the day after we got home.

I was afraid things would get too hectic when we got home, so we stopped in Boise and used it. Picked up some more Taco Bell Taco Sauce and a couple other items. Had to be careful, since I didn't want to fill the car with anything too big.

I'd lost track, but that turned out to be a third purchase, so I got another $5/$15 coupon by e-mail a few days ago.

We dropped by the store today and picked up some low sodium V8 Juice in the small cans. I use a lot of that in cooking. We were getting low and couldn't really think of anything we needed.

After coupon the small six-packs were about $1.91 each. Not a bad price for something that rarely goes on sale.

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Picked up some more Taco Bell Taco Sauce and a couple other items. Had to be careful, since I didn't want to fill the car with anything too big.

I'd lost track, but that turned out to be a third purchase, so I got another $5/$15 coupon by e-mail a few days ago.

We dropped by the store today and picked up some low sodium V8 Juice in the small cans. I use a lot of that in cooking. We were getting low and couldn't really think of anything we needed.

After coupon the small six-packs were about $1.91 each. Not a bad price for something that rarely goes on sale.
I buy the Taco Bell sauce there as well - way less than Walmart! Also, thanks for the top on V8 - it is never on sale and DH loves it. He went through my Amazon order of 24 cans in less than a month.

Gardencook

Trader Group
I buy the Taco Bell sauce there as well - way less than Walmart! Also, thanks for the top on V8 - it is never on sale and DH loves it. He went through my Amazon order of 24 cans in less than a month.

The Big Lots stores I've been in recently are pretty well out of the Taco Bell Sauce now. Figured out in September that they changed the shape of the bottles, so that must have been a close-out on the old bottles at Big Lots. I bought a short-squat jar in Amarillo instead of the tall skinny bottle I've traditionally gotten. ;)

Our Big Lots store actually charged more than Walmart for the bottles when it had them, but if I had a discount coupon it came out a little cheaper so I stocked up then.

I don't remember when I last bought V8 in a regular grocery store. It was a little cheaper than Big Lots at Grocery Outlet on our recent trip. I bought a six-pack to use in cooking while we were visiting my Mom.

The Big Lots discount coupon I had the other day brought it down a little lower than Grocery Outlet though and stocking up here meant we only had to "drag" it less than a mile home instead of more than 700 miles from Grocery Outlet. Guess I could have "stocked up" in Boise, but Washington and Oregon don't charge sales tax on groceries. The extra weight in the car probably would have offset the savings on sales tax, so I guess paying sales tax on lower-priced V8 at Big Lots won't kill us. :p

Gardencook

Trader Group
We were able to shop a few more Big Lots stores the past few weeks, since we went to visit my mother. Just wish there were more stores between her home and ours, but they are few and far between along the road.

Larger cans of Campbell's "30 percent extra" soups have been on sale for five for $4.00 -- 80 cents each. I was shocked a few weeks ago when I realized we were out of tomato soup, but it doesn't go on sale around here much any longer. I wasn't really interested in dragging tomato soup home from Mom's, so had to hope they were still in stock when we got back.

Anyway, the extra shops gave us some rewards coupons to use when we got home.

With the $5/$15 coupons we were able to pick up soup at about 53 to 56 cents a can after coupon -- 19 cans at one store and 20 cans at another). Ended up wiping out the tomato soup supply at our two closest stores, but that ought to keep us supplied this winter! There are still plenty of other flavors for other shoppers.

Still have another rewards coupon pending -- and I've got some idea of items I can spend it on, but we'll see what is in stock when the next coupon arrives. You can only use one coupon per week, so it will be at least several more days before the latest coupon shows up in my e-mail box.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
We happened in on an unexpected markdown deal on Chips Ahoy Chunky Cookies on Friday -- 25 cents per package!

We had another rewards coupon which was about to expire, but couldn't really find anything new that we needed for the stockpile. The Campbell's soups are off sale now -- replaced by a sale on Progresso soup if anyone is interested. ;)

Since we would have picked up the cookies regardless of the coupon, we figured we'd take the coupon off more tomato soup. They had restocked in recent weeks. :)

The thirteen cans we got came out to a little more than 60 cents each. Not as good as the deal as we got previously, but still not a bad deal since they are the "30 percent more" cans.