Big Lots Big Lots ~ Roll Call For Big Lots Shoppers

Discussion in 'Other National Chain Stores' started by greenfrog57, Jul 7, 2016.

1. greenfrog57

greenfrog57 Mod Of The Month July 2011 Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Trader Group

I love Big Lots! Since it is mostly a close-out store, I like to go with a very general shopping list, like "snacks".

You never know what you'll find at great stock-up prices! I especially enjoy shopping when there is a store coupon available (since they don't take manufacturer coupons). They recently expanded the food section in my store and the selection is quite nice.

I know I am not alone in shopping this gem of a chain.

@Gardencook mentioned Big Lots recently to buy her healthy foods.
    @judy27 shops Big Lots, too.

Who else?

Gardencook and judy27 like this.
  2. dkraeer

dkraeer Mr. Hot Owner Administrator Trader Group

If we gather some interest for Big Lots I will open a Forum and chat room for it!
    Dave

Gardencook, greenfrog57 and judy27 like this.
  3. skimo

skimo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Just a FYI..If you bank at PNC and use their rewards program, Big Lots has an offer through 7/29:

Earn 40 points per $1 on your Big Lots purchase, with a 2,400 points maximum. Offer expires 7/29/2016. Offer not valid on third-party purchases. Offer valid one time only.

NoHio, greenfrog57 and judy27 like this.
  4. judy27

judy27 Well-Known Member Trader Group

I bought my couch at Big Lots. It is really nice!!!!!! They have a lot of great deals!!!!!

Gardencook and greenfrog57 like this.
  5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

This weekend is Friends and Family! I assume that is a national deal and not just regional although I've chatted with other HCW members in different regions, whose stores seem to differ.

For those not acquainted, you get a 20 percent discount on purchases for everyone Sunday and from noon Saturday, as well, if you have a preferred card. Refrigerated/frozen foods aren't included in the deal, but just about everything else is.

You must have a store that delivers @judy27!

Big Lots claimed to start delivery at ALL stores right as our store opened here. We needed a recliner, so I asked an employee, who asked a manager, who said she'd come back and tell me... then vanished. They don't mention anything about delivery at our store any longer and we had to figure out how to get our recliner home on our own.

They do have nice furniture, however. There are always a bunch of trucks picking up furniture during the Friends and Family event.

judy27 and greenfrog57 like this.
  6. greenfrog57

greenfrog57 Mod Of The Month July 2011 Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Trader Group

@Gardencook - Our Big Lots does not deliver either, but they provide "string" to tie down your furniture! ;)

Gardencook likes this.
  7. judy27

judy27 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Actually, our Big Lots does not deliver. But, the had a business card on the desk for "Man with a Van". This guy does anything (if your wanted furniture moved from one room to another - he would do it) and I used him for the delivery. I think he charged $30. That was worth it. He does mostly all of the deliveries for Big Lots and probably other places as well. He will deliver anything and he even set the couch up!!!

greenfrog57 and Gardencook like this.
  8. Gardencook

Your delivery guy is probably a carry over from the promotion Big Lots tried a few years ago. Big Lots has never delivered, but supposedly each store had made arrangements with someone local to do deliveries for them. It was a big nationwide promotion at the time. However, even though the promotion promised EVERY store was participating, our store didn't. :(

Merchants in this town REFUSE to honor a LOT of what corporate headquarters tell them to. The promotion must have failed elsewhere, as well, because I don't hear anything about it any longer.

9. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Crankie bought a rug and the table in our entry way at Big lots. I love the table, but the rug was eh. Recently, they opened one closer to me and had some good deals on snacks. Watch your exp dates on foods.

Gardencook, judy27 and greenfrog57 like this.
  10. bugface711

bugface711 Mod of the Month 12/2010 Sǝɔᴚǝʇɐᴚʎ ʇo ʇɥǝ Quǝǝn Trader Group

I do not go in there often, but ventured in the other night & was reminded why its a good place to stop in at! @Gardencook thanks for the heads up about the sale this weekend. We like a patio set when we were there. Just sent hubby the coupon link to print the 20% off.

http://www.biglots.com/page/coupon-web/

Gardencook, judy27 and greenfrog57 like this.
  11. Gardencook

They've got summer clearance going on at a lot of stores right now, so it is a great way to save an additional 20 percent on those items.

We can find a lot of things at Big Lots that we can't find anywhere else in town and lately they've trained employees to greet you as you enter the door and treat you like they're glad you're there. That's pretty rare with merchants in our town, so it definitely makes you want to keep going back. :D

bugface711 and greenfrog57 like this.
  12. neabo2458

neabo2458 Well-Known Member

Love Big Lots although ours has a very limited food selection. I do love going there for seasonal items and their furniture is nice. Thanks for the heads up about the 20% coupon!

13. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Trader Group

I occasionally shop at Big Lots. I also bought a couch and two recliners there.

14. greenfrog57

Any good Big Lots finds lately?

15. Gardencook

We were in the other day and picked up a few items on clearance. We've got to keep checking back on a regular basis for a few items they get in on rare occasions but not often. Those items go fast when they show up, but weren't in the other day.

Also needed to replace a plastic travel pitcher, but it looks like our store has really slashed the selection of plastic ware it carries.

They did have some newer video sets for $5 each. The one that caught my eye was a set of two movies -- Troy and 300. We didn't see either movie at the theater and didn't buy the set, but it looked like a good price for fairly recent movies.

They do carry a nice selection of Bob's Red Mill products which are included in the upcoming 20 percent Friends & Family event. ;)

greenfrog57 and jastwins like this.
  16. greenfrog57

Gardencook likes this.
  17. Gardencook

Noticed that earlier today and was actually thinking we might check it out.

However, there is another huge storm moving in Saturday. We'll see if we can even get out of the driveway.

18. greenfrog57

Hoping you can get to Big Lots before the weekend ends.

Gardencook likes this.
  19. Gardencook

Who knows?

Yesterday we got a big, unpredicted snowstorm which kept everyone shoveling throughout the day. Today we're having an unpredicted meltdown, and they're predicting only "light" snow for tomorrow. I'm assuming yesterday's storm was the one we were supposed to get tomorrow? :confused:

Anyway, we could be in worse shape. The roof of another grocery store collapsed this week on the other side of the state. They just aren't used to this much snow.

That makes roofs on at least two grocery stores, 18 onion storage/processing plants and at least one apartment parking garage that have collapsed over there in the past couple weeks. There are probably some others we haven't heard about.

20. Gardencook

Well, the storm didn't arrive, so we made a run for it tonight even though we aren't in stock-up mode right now due to the unemployment situation.

We did get a good deal on cheap food for the cats my husband enjoys feeding and I picked up an extra wallet for loyalty/gift cards, since one of mine is getting worn. It is one of the "as seen on t.v." products and came down to $6.20 after discount.

Saw a some deals on which we didn't bite in case anyone is interested.

Our store had Barilla whole wheat pasta on sale two for $1.50 -- when you buy two. It was a printed sign, so I'm thinking it should be chain-wide.

It is $1 a box if you only purchase one. The discount would bring it down to 60 cents a box. Not as good a deal as the Kroger mega sale, but they had a better selection than our tiny store.

They had a couple flavors of Izze sparkling water four packs for $2.50 each -- $2 after discount.

There were 64-ounce jugs of hand soap for $2.50 -- $2 after discount.

Also saw a table-top vegetable spiralizer for $10 -- $8 after discount. They also had a hand-held model, but I didn't check the price on it. They were both in the "as seen on t.v." section, as well.

They had an end-cap full of coconut oil which you've pointed out in the past @greenfrog57.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017