beef stroganaff

T

twomoms

Okay last night I was asked if I could learn how to make beef stoganaff, I said I knew how hamburger helper makes a good one, and that was not the right answer, so I am looking around for the best recipe I have found that some use sour cream others yogurt, some chicken stock while others, use cream soup and water. I am looking for one that uses,
cream of whatever soup, and sour cream, a crock pot recipe would be great but any is fine!
thanks!

B

breezy2

This a a recipe I have used for years with rav reviews.

3 lg onions-thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 T oil and 2 T butter
2 pounds round steak
2 T flour
a packet of Frenchs au jue (sp?) or a couple beef bullion cubes
2 cups water
1 jar mushrooms (8.5oz)
1 can tomato paste
1 cup sour cream

OK- cook the sliced onions, and garlic in 1/2 the oil and butter, until tender. Remove from pan and set aside now brown the meat (thinly sliced against the grain, easier to do if slightly frozen) in the rest of the oil/butter. When browned add the flour, stirring to coat. Add the rest of the ingredents except the sour cream. You can simmer on low on stovetop for 1 1/2 hours or bake covered at 350 for 2 hours. When ready to serve stir in the sour cream. Serve over egg noddles (I use the super wide)

Wendy

S

suzzj

Here is one that I think is awesome!

Easy Beef Stroganoff

Beef (I have used ground beef, sliced sirloin and even left over roast is very good)
Olive oil

Brown meat in oil

Add
Onion (I used dried-a couple of shakes or frozen-about ¼ cup, but you can use fresh)
Pepper to taste
A little garlic powder to taste about ½-1 tsp to taste
Heat through

Add
Soy sauce about ¼ cup (I usually just shake a bunch in)
Cream of Mushroom soup
1can of milk
1 can of beef broth ( I use organic because it does not have MSG in :RockOn:it. Most beef broth has it in it
2-3 Bay leaves
Basil a couple of shakes (about 1tsp- 1 tbsp - to taste)
Mix well and let it cook down 20 minutes to half hour
About 10 minutes before serving add about 4 oz of sour cream (half of the smallest can I can find)
You can add more sour cream if desired. Sometimes I don’t even add the sour cream and it still tastes good!

Serve over whatever pasta you would like. I have used egg noodles, and bow ties,
Both were very good!

Everything here is estimated.

Someday I am going to substitute cream of chicken and chicken for the beef!

It is so easy and just as good as my all day crock pot version, in fact even better.
I am not a exact measure kind of cook. I just throw things together and hope it works! So my measurements may need to be adjusted to your tastes.

Susan

E

ElaineHN

I usually make what we call 'mock' Beef Stroganoff, because it's not complicated enought to be the 'real' thing ... but it is sooo Yummy for something soooo easy.

Ingredients

spacer.gif

1 lb - Shredded Roast Beef or Beef Pot Roast
1 cup Beef broth from the roast (&/or water or canned broth)
1 can (*Healthy Request) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup - Breakstone (Fat Free) Sour Cream

1. Heat beef, broth &/or water in a large sauce pan. I usually use however much broth I have on hand and add a little water only if needed.
2. Stir in cream of mushroom soup. (You can add sliced fresh or canned mushrooms if desired.)
3. Bring mixture just to a boil and then reduce heat. Allow to simmer as your noodles, rice or potatoes cook.
4. When almost ready to serve, stir in the Sour Cream. Allow this to simmer till hot, but do not boil once the sour cream is added or it may 'break' and curdle.
5. Serve mixture over noodles, rice, bread, or potatoes. Egg Noodles are most traditional for stroganoff ... but we like to use Ronzoni Healthy Harvest pasta.

Please Note: I usually make it with as many 'light' & reduced fat ingredients if possible, but of course you can use 'regular' if you aren't dieting.

** I like to use left over roast and broth from a roast that has cooked in the crockpot. I usually buy a roast a little larger than we need for one meal and save part of it to make this recipe a few nights later. You can easily 'de-fat' the broth after it has chilled in the refrigerator. If you don't have at least a cup of broth, add water as needed. You can also substitute a pound of browned, crumbled, drained and rinsed ground beef for the roast. My family likes it either way, but I really prefer to make it with roast.

Number of Servings: 6
spacer.gif

spacer.gif