1 pound ground beef, turkey or chicken
2 Tablespoons oil
1 small onion, sliced very thin
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup cooked rice
Toasted, slivered almonds or bread crumbs

Heat the oil in a skillet and brown beef, discarding fat. Combine all ingredients except rice and almonds in the cooker. Cook on high 3 hours. Add cooked rice. Serve with toasted almonds. I often use uncooked rice and add broth to make up the liquid, cooking on low all day. The oregano and soy sauce are not the usual casserole combo, but quite delicious together. We like oregano, so always boost the amount. Try adding extra vegetables. We are especially fond of celery, green beans or even green peppers in this.
Chopped parsley tossed in at the end adds a lot of color and flavor. This is also good with a side of stir-fried veggies.

This recipe is really versatile. For a crowd it can be doubled and made in a large, rectangular baking dish. Just cover it with foil and bake.
I've also made it with leftover chicken or turkey pieces rather than ground meat.

C

chitownmelli

Gardencook, do you find this to be a good make ahead dish? I was actually looking for a good "chicken and rice" dish for the daycare kiddos and I think this one could turn into that, pretty easily - just cooking the day it is to be served likely wouldn't work for us. Please let me know what you think when you have a second, I have never prepared rice and put it in a dish in advance before so I was not sure if it would break down or something....

Gardencook

Trader Group
Gardencook, do you find this to be a good make ahead dish? I was actually looking for a good "chicken and rice" dish for the daycare kiddos and I think this one could turn into that, pretty easily - just cooking the day it is to be served likely wouldn't work for us. Please let me know what you think when you have a second, I have never prepared rice and put it in a dish in advance before so I was not sure if it would break down or something....

This is kind of one of those dishes you can do just about anything with and yes, you can prepare it in advance and reheat it. I've done it when I served company before.
The original recipe called for white rice, but we prefer brown so I use that. I've made it with cooked rice and uncooked rice, but of course the cooked rice speeds things along quite a bit. When you start with uncooked, brown rice it takes quite a while in the oven.