Recipes - Tried & True Beef and Onion Stew - not really a stew

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
I made this and below, in the recipe, are some notes I added. It was good and I will make it again but I would add mushrooms.

It needed no additional salt - what there was in the beef broth was enough. I used egg noodles and it looked just like the photo. Rice would be good and some of you would probably like it over mashed potatoes.

After browning the meat I'm sure the slow cooker pro's among you could cook it that way.

Also, after I added the vinegar I thought, because of the smell, that I'd ruined it but it completely mellowed and you would not realize it's in there at all. It helps tenderize the meat as well.

exps3577_CX1410C47A.jpg

Beef and Onion Stew

Beef and Onion Stew Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Prep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours Yield: 4-6 Servings

• 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
  • All-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 3 cups diced onion (I used a sweet one.)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1-1/2 cups beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste (Used ketchup instead.)
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt (I did NOT add salt; it was fine.)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning (Did not use, mine was too old.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Cooked rice or noodles

Dredge meat in flour; brown in butter in a Dutch oven. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add broth, vinegar, tomato paste and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over rice or noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 each) equals 270 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 1,000 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein

F

froggie3

Going to have to try this out with some cubed up venison in the freezer, it looks good.