Frugal Living - Tips Bathtub Cleaning Recipe - NO SCRUB! (Tried & it worked!)

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I tried a pinterest recipe:

Spray a bath tub with a mixture of equal parts vinegar and dish soap (in a clean spray bottle).
Results:
It took longer than an hour, but I only had to rinse the tub. It was gross when I sprayed it. Definitely a keeper recipe!

Last edited:

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
re: Bathtub Cleaning Recipe - NO SCRUB! (Tried & it worked!)

Cool I am going to give it a try. My shower is looking not so good these days...

judy27

Trader Group

Thanks for sharing!!! I am going to try this. I really do not like the smell of vinegar, but it sure does have SO many wonderful uses!!!! My mom always washed the windows with vinegar and newspaper!!!!

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group

Thanks for sharing!!! I am going to try this. I really do not like the smell of vinegar, but it sure does have SO many wonderful uses!!!! My mom always washed the windows with vinegar and newspaper!!!!

If you have any essential oils hanging about you could add a couple of drops. I find a few drops of tea tree oil helps cover the vinegar smell.

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group

I mixed up a batch of this yesterday and gave my shower a spray down. There is so much soap that it was not very vinegary smelling at all (I used Palmolive - the pink/peach kind)

It did an OK job. I let it sit for 1 hour and then rinsed. However I noticed the scummy part near the bottom of the shower was still there after rinsing so I did swish it around with a wash rag and it came off easy enough. I think over time it will do a good job at keeping the shower clean. I must admit that I had not really scrubbed the shower in a long time. And that down at the bottom part hurts my back to scrub so I don't do a very good job at it.

I will keep trying it and see how it works over time. It also makes a nice toilet cleaner - I dumped a splash in the toilet bowl and swished it around. I already clean my toilets every few days with soap liquid soap figure the vinegar will help deodorize and help with any hard water issues in the bowl as well.

M

mom23teens

I mixed up a batch of this yesterday and gave my shower a spray down. There is so much soap that it was not very vinegary smelling at all (I used Palmolive - the pink/peach kind)

It did an OK job. I let it sit for 1 hour and then rinsed. However I noticed the scummy part near the bottom of the shower was still there after rinsing so I did swish it around with a wash rag and it came off easy enough. I think over time it will do a good job at keeping the shower clean. I must admit that I had not really scrubbed the shower in a long time. And that down at the bottom part hurts my back to scrub so I don't do a very good job at it.

I will keep trying it and see how it works over time. It also makes a nice toilet cleaner - I dumped a splash in the toilet bowl and swished it around. I already clean my toilets every few days with soap liquid soap figure the vinegar will help deodorize and help with any hard water issues in the bowl as well.

I have been using a similiar recipe for months now , however the trick to this is to heat up the vinegar and only use the blue dawn
Try it. it works wonders

Hth

C

clippyclippy

I have been using a similiar recipe for months now , however the trick to this is to heat up the vinegar and only use the blue dawn
Try it. it works wonders

Hth
So do you have to use it warm then? Or can you make it by heating up the vinegar, and then use the bottle as needed?

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group

After I sprayed and it sat (closer to 2 hours in the bad tub), I rinsed with HOT water. Today, I'm still enjoying the sparkly tub....

M

mom23teens

So do you have to use it warm then? Or can you make it by heating up the vinegar, and then use the bottle as needed?

I have only used it warm. I heat up the vinegar only then add the dawn. It worked great!!,!!

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie

QOTH - I saw an idea to use a sponge mop with one of those scrubby sides to clean the harder to reach areas of your tub - no back-breaking bending over the tub with that. I haven't tried it yet though.

C

clippyclippy

I usually just use a scrubbie (dedicated to tub cleaning) with bodywash when I'm done, and wipe it down with a dry towel. I do it before I even get out.
For the shower, I squeegie the walls down, but there is some wetness near the floor. That area needs attention every now and then.

T

TornadoRed

Try it. it works wonders

Hth

Why blue dawn?

T

TornadoRed

If you have any essential oils hanging about you could add a couple of drops. I find a few drops of tea tree oil helps cover the vinegar smell.

This recipe works wonderfully.

I saw this recipe, and decided to hack my scrubing bubles auto sprayer. I poured the recipe in to the auto sprayer bottle using a small funnel with a narrow tube end and patience. It worked really well, but i didn't like the vingar and essencial oil smell combo - I only had peppermint oil (....just wierd, like a peppermint pickle, very very wrong).

So this next time I used Rosemary water and Borax. (and the funnel, and this time in the sink b/c of the mess from the last time :biggrin:)

The Borax cuts the soap scum and disenfects and gets rid of the nasty grout stain/mold. Scant 1/8 cup borax, 2 -2.5 cups rosemary water. The measurements are a guess, I eyeball'd it.

(Center of Attention, Make your own hydrosol The Center of Attention: Try DIY: Make your own hydrosol at home This is a good method for creating any herb water.)

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group

This recipe works wonderfully.

I saw this recipe, and decided to hack my scrubing bubles auto sprayer. I poured the recipe in to the auto sprayer bottle using a small funnel with a narrow tube end and patience. It worked really well, but i didn't like the vingar and essencial oil smell combo - I only had peppermint oil (....just wierd, like a peppermint pickle, very very wrong).

So this next time I used Rosemary water and Borax. (and the funnel, and this time in the sink b/c of the mess from the last time :biggrin:)

The Borax cuts the soap scum and disenfects and gets rid of the nasty grout stain/mold. Scant 1/8 cup borax, 2 -2.5 cups rosemary water. The measurements are a guess, I eyeball'd it.

(Center of Attention, Make your own hydrosol The Center of Attention: Try DIY: Make your own hydrosol at home This is a good method for creating any herb water.)

mmm minty pickles...I bet that smelled LOVELY! :biggrin:

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie

Thanks for bringing this one back up ladies. I never tried it before but now I have the Dawn, the vinegar and the bottles so I'm ready to give it a shot. Would there be any length of time that's too long to leave it on before rinsing?

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group

Oh I just remembered that little bottles of Dawn are on sale this week at Walgreens (ending 7/20/13) for 99¢ there are $0.20/1 and $0.25/1 coupons from the 07-07-13 PG insert making them sort of cheap.