Asparagus

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Asparagus dropped back to $1.99/lb at the local produce store. But, it didn't taste as good as Spring Asparagus. Boo hoo!

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
[MENTION=9]MrsPinecone[/MENTION] - It's down to 99¢/lb by me this week! It seems asparagus sales have started early this year!

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
[MENTION=9]MrsPinecone[/MENTION] - It's down to 99¢/lb by me this week! It seems asparagus sales have started early this year!

M

MrsPinecone

Bought 5 lbs of asparagus at Aldi for $1.99/lb. It's the nice pencil thin stuff. Based on last year's results, I will get 5 pint and a half jars of pickled asparagus out of it. That stuff is SO good. I love it in my bloody marys.

M

MrsPinecone

5 pint-and-a-half jars of pickled asparagus out of the canner today!

001.JPG

M

MrsPinecone

It's asparagus season around here, but at $6-8/lb, I can't justify pickling or freezing it. As much as I want to process local foods, I will have to stick to the stuff from the grocery store for most of my asparagus needs.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
My co-worker just gave me fresh asparagus from her garden. Can't wait to make it tonight.

M

MrsPinecone

This year I made pickled asparagus with the thicker spears -- stands up better in Bloody Marys that way.

bugweena

Trader Group
Yes, we've had some good sales! This past week it was $1.29/#! I've bought abut 10 # so far. I just blanched it and put it in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer. I like to roast it with a little olive oil and salt. Hope it freezes ok--that's the only way that I could find to preserve it other than pickling. I may try that next time it goes on sale!

asereht

Trader Group
Our Neighborhood Market had it for .50 lb!
Got several bundles, love it baked with bacon, gonna try canning the rest, first time for me.

M

MrsPinecone

Yes, we've had some good sales! This past week it was $1.29/#! I've bought abut 10 # so far. I just blanched it and put it in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer. I like to roast it with a little olive oil and salt. Hope it freezes ok--that's the only way that I could find to preserve it other than pickling. I may try that next time it goes on sale!

I hope yours turns out OK. The last time I tried blanching and freezing, it was so mushy when it was defrosted. I don't know what I did wrong, but no one would eat it.

bugweena

Trader Group
I hope yours turns out OK. The last time I tried blanching and freezing, it was so mushy when it was defrosted. I don't know what I did wrong, but no one would eat it.

oh, no! I blanched it for 3 minutes only. I tried one and it was still pretty hard. Maybe I'll pull a bag out of the freezer this week and try it. No sense in wasting the freezer space if it is mushy

M

MrsPinecone

oh, no! I blanched it for 3 minutes only. I tried one and it was still pretty hard. Maybe I'll pull a bag out of the freezer this week and try it. No sense in wasting the freezer space if it is mushy

Mine was the super skinny asparagus, so probably not up to blanching and freezing.