Asparagus

M

MrsPinecone

I still have some in the freezer from last year, but I wanted to pickle asparagus this spring. Have I missed it completely? There are usually sales on asparagus at every grocery store for weeks in a row in the spring and I haven't seen any!! Well, it was on sale once about 3 weeks ago at Aldi, but I missed it and thought I had some time. I hope that wasn't it.

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
They were 99¢/lb after Easter for a couple of weeks by me, but asparagus is back up to $1.99 -$2.99/lb now. I've never had pickled asparagus. Does it stay crisp or go limp like frozen?

M

MrsPinecone

Rats. I was hoping that you wouldn't say that.

It stays pretty firm. I will use a dash of pickle crisp to make sure.

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
:sorry22:
images
(sad asparagus)

T

to1drland

Larissa- mine in the garden is just getting into full swing here in Iowa- your climate isn't much different.....do you have a farmers market? it's probably available locally right now. I would try there or put an ad on CL- possible somebody has it in their garden & has some to share!

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
I have not seen the price go down much here in the grocery stores on asparagus. $1.99 lb is the lowest. I am hoping beyond hope it goes down still.

What is pickle crisp and how to you make pickled asparagus?

M

MrsStunner

I've been debating on whether or not i really wanted to plant asparagus too. Figure I have a while to decide. Never had pickled asparagus though! Sounds pretty yummy.

J

JulieDB

Costco seemed to have a pretty good price. Was about $4.00 for a big bunch.

tndee

Trader Group
I did some research on growing asparagus. Am I right that you have just a small picking season and then you let the plants get big and ferny so they can get ready for the next season's crop? I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of yours to1. I've never actually seen it growing.

T

to1drland

I did some research on growing asparagus. Am I right that you have just a small picking season and then you let the plants get big and ferny so they can get ready for the next season's crop? I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of yours to1. I've never actually seen it growing.

correct....
I'll post some pics when I get to the"let it go" stage- we just started picking a bout a week ago...things are about to get into full swing. I think the drought last year was hard on it.

tndee

Trader Group
Thanks! That would be great! I was raised growing a garden, canning, freezing, and drying but since I've been married (almost 23 years) we haven't had a garden. However, we never grew asparagus nor did we eat it. I don't know why. I was grown before I ever had it and both my husband and I like it. We've got a good raised bed where we normally put tomatoes and some peppers and one year we grew squash and cucumbers. I have canned and frozen during the years that we've been married but not much in the last few years. I'm hoping that maybe we can get into gardening a little more. Since people are doing edible landscaping, I'm thinking that might work for us. We bought some clearanced fruit trees about 2 years ago. We lost a couple of them, but I have hopes that the others will start bearing soon. We have a good apple tree but the weather wasn't good for apples here last year. I need to get a dehydrator because I love dried apples. My mom still does it the old fashioned way with drying outside on a sheet with cheesecloth over the apples. When they're almost dry, she heats them in the oven to finish them off. They keep forever.

I'm still thinking about setting aside an area of our yard for asparagus since it should continue producing for years and years if the weather is ok. I like the idea of something that comes back over and over again.

M

MrsPinecone

Picked up 5 lbs of asparagus today at Aldi. At $2.99/lb it wasn't a bargain, but not too bad, either. It was the super-skinny kind that I really like. I am going to roast a pound of it and pickle the rest. Once I trim the ends, it looks like 1 lb will fit perfectly into one of the pint-and-a-half jars. Yay!

M

MrsPinecone

Pickled Asparagus | Food in Jars

4 lbs of asparagus became 4 pint-and-a-half jars of pickled. I used the basic brine, with 1 tbsp. pickling spice, 1/2 tsp. dried garlic, a dash of red pepper flakes and a scant 1/4 tsp. of pickle crisp per jar.

NoHio

Trader Group
Could someone who grows asparagus help me out? We have a plot of it growing at the new house (the previous owners planted it). But I only saw about two stalks that looked like they were good to eat. The rest are really big and have branches growing off of them. Should we have done something with it last fall? Or is it just too early yet?

M

MrsPinecone

I want to use the offcuts to make asparagus soup. I had to make it dairy free because I recently became lactose intolerant at the age of 44. Boo.

eat purely. live purely. -- tried this one and it was very disappointing. Bland, bland, bland and stringy. Neither my immersion blender nor the regular blender could puree it effectively. Total waste-- I dumped it down the drain.

Cream of Asparagus Soup with Leeks and Collards -- next one I will try.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

to1drland

Could someone who grows asparagus help me out? We have a plot of it growing at the new house (the previous owners planted it). But I only saw about two stalks that looked like they were good to eat. The rest are really big and have branches growing off of them. Should we have done something with it last fall? Or is it just too early yet?

if the stalks have started branching out already, then you're at the end of the picking season. prime picking season for your zone should fall in about april-may. hth
here is a good you tube video on the topic...