Apple Crisp with Cereal Crumble

J

jenniferpy1

I adapted a recipe for the "crisp" for Apple Crisp one day. I was out of quick oats, but the pantry is overflowing with cereal. After a little thought on how to achieve the desired crunchy topping, I decided on Post Trail Mix with Cranberries/Almonds. It was easier to get to since it was on the front. :giggle2: However, any granola type cereal should work just fine. You can also easily double the topping recipe if using a long, glass baking dish.

Apple Crisp with Cereal Crumble

:smile:Filling:smile:
2 cans of apple pie filling or any fruity pie filling
2 Tablespoons of maple syrup (sugar free varieties are ok too)
1/4 teaspoon cake spice *optional*

Directions: Preheat oven to 325. Spray your choice of baking pan with nonstick spray. (I use my Pampered Chef brownie stone/pan.) Pour fruit into pan and mix syrup and spice with filling. Then, make the topping.

:smile:Topping:smile:
You will need:
1 1/2 cups Post Trail Mix Cereal (or any granola type cereal)
3/4 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions: In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients well. Add butter or margarine a little at the time with hands until all dry ingredients are incorporated with wet. Spread or crumble over the top of fruity pie filling. Bake at 325 until bubbly around edges and slightly browned. Serve with ice cream or whipped topping.

:smile:NOTES: I mentioned that the cake spice is optional since some pie fillings are already spiced. It's your call, add or not to add? If you don't have cake spice, pumpkin pie spice or the like is ok, too. Use what works well with the fruit that you plan to use. Spreadable margarine can be used, but the crumble will be wetter. You may have to spread it over the top with a spatula rather than sprinkle with your fingers. Either way, it tastes just fine. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: