Staples Anyone using Staples Rewards from ink recycles?

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
We went to their site to make a purchase and the $20 credit which expires Dec. 31 was not accepted. The message said that the value of the coupon was more than the cost of the item?

Is that a new rule you have to spend more than the value of the reward coupon?

As we remember it from a couple months ago if you spend under the $20 you'd get a coupon for the remainder.

ffagirl15

Trader Group
I have only been able to use it for a lesser value in the store, where they could automatically generate the coupon for the remainder.

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
If you order online and your item is under $20 they can send you the balance coupon by mail. The one they sent us was valid until 8-31-18.

pasharain

(ง︡'-'︠)ง ♥ Quasher of Dead Links ♥
Staples is notorious for tweaking their "rules" constantly. My current understanding is that you can obtain a "balance" coupon in store, but not online. But a few seconds have passed since I typed the above so it may have changed. Just joking...I just hate when I finally get "current" on a store's "rules" and it changes yet AGAIN. :eek:

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
When we have called CS when placing an order online, they call the extra "over tender." We called it a balance coupon. I know in 2 of the last three years when we spend less than the $20, we have gotten a coupon for the difference. It is sent by e-mail and in both cases they let it expire in August though we only recycled from September to February. That is the only way to use say $55 at one time. Example: Jan. $20 spend $5 and get an August expire coupon for the other $15. Then the $20 received in Feb. will expire March 31 and the $20 in March will expire April 30. So, if we make the purchase in the couple weeks before March 31 we could in theory use $55 toward something. Currently we have two items we want. They are around $12 so if there is no longer an over tender coupon we'll just find some $7.99 pack of toilet paper and it will go over a few cents but we will try for $20.01.

pasharain

Yep. Sad to say no more "over tender." I just checked the site to be sure and HERE is a link for you. And a screen shot for more instant gratification :D... (See the "Don't forget" section at the bottom.)

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 11.09.09 AM.png

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
Yep. Sad to say no more "over tender." I just checked the site to be sure and HERE is a link for you. And a screen shot for more instant gratification :D... (See the "Don't forget" section at the bottom.)

We chatted with a Staples support person. We asked if we placed an order online and there were unused funds on the reward would we get an over tender coupon. The answer was "yes" and "when you use the over tender coupon you'd have to use all of it" on the next order. None of the items we want are in the store (where they do print you out an overage coupon). Also the last couple years when we did get an over tender coupon from an online order, in both cases, the expiration date was August 31st.

pasharain

We chatted with a Staples support person. We asked if we placed an order online and there were unused funds on the reward would we get an over tender coupon. The answer was "yes" and "when you use the over tender coupon you'd have to use all of it" on the next order. None of the items we want are in the store (where they do print you out an overage coupon). Also the last couple years when we did get an over tender coupon from an online order, in both cases, the expiration date was August 31st.

Please let us know if you actually got a coupon lately. In the past, I got them too...just not lately, and the rules did change on the website. Sadly, I am told lots of things by reps on the phone, but they are not always up to date on their own company's policies. In fact, I ranted about it recently here. Let us know what happens, I think we can keep each other updated better than the folks at Staples. :)

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
What we do is ask them by chat before we place an order. At that point we were told yes an over tender coupon. We ask before we have the order ready in the cart (like we are in a hurry to make the purchase). They have given us a coupon 2 years in a row.

pasharain

What we do is ask them by chat before we place an order. At that point we were told yes an over tender coupon. We ask before we have the order ready in the cart (like we are in a hurry to make the purchase). They have given us a coupon 2 years in a row.
Good advice to everyone. I will try to remember to call ahead too if I am ever in that situation again. :)

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
We got our reward today and some issues using it. We bought 3 items that totaled $18.27. With tax I think it was $19.55. It would not accept the code because it was larger than the ordered items. Duh does this mean when we have $20 reward to use we can not buy a $5 item?
We tried to add some low cost school items but all the ones with huge discounts like a notebook for 75 cents, etc. were only available in store and added $9.95 shipping because of the 75 cent notebook.
We hate to get things we can not use. Finally we added a $1.79 notebook which we will give to a child. That made the order excluding tax to be $20.06. So it seemed we have to order $20 or more excluding tax. Well we went to pay and like magic there was not tax so we used a credit card to pay the 0.06. :) They create the program and want the whole world to know about it, but they slowly create rules that make it hard to use. Are you aware of Office Depot having a similar one? When Staples goes down to $1 an empty we will likely quit. Not worth buying a $30 or more new ink and over 6 months only receive $60 in rewards ($1 per empty ink).

pasharain

@cpnmaniac44 At this time, the Staples program is better than Office Depot. Office Depot requires a purchase for the ink you want to turn in (but not like the $30 ink every 6 months Staples does).

For example, at OD, if I want to turn in 10 cartridges in any given month, I have to have purchased $20 of merchandise, because that is how much the ink will be worth. I rarely participate because it is rare OD has something Staples does not, but it does happen...

OD does have an upside though...When they do the penny deals or 100% back in rewards, I double dip "legally," here's how:

Buy penny deal item, last time it was 2 packs of batteries for $16.99 each, and get $16.98 back in rewards. I bought the 2 packs of batteries, and because I spent over $20, I turned in 10 ink cartridges. I got $33.96 back for the batteries plus $20 for the cartridges, so $53.96 to spend again and 2 16 packs of batteries.

IMPORTANT: Just don't pay for "100% back in rewards" items with rewards...then you will not get rewards. :D

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
Our order had 4 items all from different companies. Two of the items arrived at Staples. The other two packages never arrived:
1. Was shipped by UPS and UPS held it back because the shipping label had our name and the Staples store address. We had to go to the UPS location to get it.
2. Was shipped by FedEx and the Staples tracking using the order number said that this item was "out for delivery." But no tracking number like the other FedEx package that had arrived July 17th.
We went to Staples at 7pm and they said they did not have it.
Staples CS got us the tracking number and it said the package was left at the door at 9am. Left at what door?
FedEx CS was unable to tell us the address where they left it.

Staples should have their shipping addresses to be in this format:
Staples - customer name
their address

None of the packages had the word Staples on the shipping label so two packages never arrived for that reason.

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
It got worse. They sent me e-mails that they were reshipping all 3 of the items we already had. :confused:
So what was supposed to be a "delivery dispute" on one item became reship on the other three items.
FedEx claims.....?? that the lost item that showed delivered yesterday at 9am, may have gotten scanned as delivered by mistake. So, after all that the item did arrive today and they will hold it for 5 days.

pasharain

It got worse. They sent me e-mails that they were reshipping all 3 of the items we already had. :confused:
So what was supposed to be a "delivery dispute" on one item became reship on the other three items.
FedEx claims.....?? that the lost item that showed delivered yesterday at 9am, may have gotten scanned as delivered by mistake. So, after all that the item did arrive today and they will hold it for 5 days.
Crazy. Something like this happen to my sister with Staples. They resent her everything (she doesn't live near a Staples she shops online)...she called to be honest about receiving the extras and wanted them to schedule pick up. They let her keep it all. I can't remember what it was, but I remember her telling me it wasn't overly cheap things.

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
They got confused on the order and the return. They shipped again one item we already had received. We just did not pick it up and they could put it on the shelf. Now that it is too late to pick it up they say they will issue a refund based on what method we used to pay for it. Well since it was rewards it has to be a coupon of some kind for the $1.79. We'll see if they do issue it at all, or because it was purchased with rewards the refund for the mistaken shipment they made is not even valid.

pasharain

They got confused on the order and the return. They shipped again one item we already had received. We just did not pick it up and they could put it on the shelf. Now that it is too late to pick it up they say they will issue a refund based on what method we used to pay for it. Well since it was rewards it has to be a coupon of some kind for the $1.79. We'll see if they do issue it at all, or because it was purchased with rewards the refund for the mistaken shipment they made is not even valid.
Let us know what happens. ;)

cpnmaniac44

Trader Group
So far nothing. And based on the method we used to pay for the items any credit back should have happened by now.

We did have to ask where the under $1 school supplies were. None we obvious to see or easily to find. The person said around isle 7 near the middle of the store. There was a cardboard display for pens, another one for pencils, etc. Each display only had 1 low cost item. You have to visit each display to see all of the under 75 cents items. We got 1 pack of erasers, 12 one subject notebooks, and 5 crayons. When we went to pay for these it was the same employee. I said "we could not find the under $1 pencils." Instead of taking us to where they are or asking another employee to take us there, they ignored our comment. This implied that they did not care whether we bought another item or not.

:confused: