Anti-coupon cashiers

Discussion in 'Telling It Like It Is!' started by TazzieL, Jul 30, 2017.

1. TazzieL

TazzieL New Member

Not really about a coupon, it's about Kohl's cash gift of $10. I received the card in the mail and have used these in the past with no problem. The other day, the cashier grabbed my card as I made my purchase and said "it says right here you have to purchase a minimum of $50 to use this Kohl's cash". And she refused to let me use it as she was rushing me through the transaction and so I paid the full amount. Then I read over the terms and conditions carefully. It said nothing at all about a minimum $50 purchase. The cashier lied.

I went to customer service desk nearby to get the refund, although it can take up to thirty days for the credit to go through on my Am Ex.

I encounter this problem, from time to time. This is the first time a cashier has tried to lie, though.

I understand (totally) that some cashiers hate using coupons or anything like them, but the job is what it is. It's not like the money is coming out of their own pocket.

2. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

That was an extraordinarily rude encounter. I encounter cashiers who, from time to time, seem to think they have just been promoted to CEO of the company and can make up the rules as they go. Grocery stores are a bit easier to challenge. I have a copy of the company coupon acceptance and redemption policy of my regular grocery stores in my coupon binder. Whip it out; the cashier is whipped. Department stores are a bit harder. We all have a different level of how we stand up for ourselves or challenge something we think is wrong. I think, though, with US HERE (aren't we great?) we get bolder and bolder as we go along. Live and learn.

I try to figure out why cashiers do what they do. Perhaps they see these great deals and they are either unable or unwilling to learn to do what we do.

Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  3. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

It may not have been an intentional lie - she could have been thinking about another promotion and just made a mistake.

jastwins likes this.
  4. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

I just refuse to pay until they call over a manager. Nobody likes a long line and the cashier should not have rushed you. It could be the girl was new or not well trained. Or sadly, she hates her job and took it out on you. Not good customer service at all.

flowerkitty and Gardencook like this.
  5. TazzieL

TazzieL New Member

It was (unfortunately) a lie. Because she grabbed it, read it and claimed it said $50 minimum purchase and she even pointed to it (although it wasn't there). So unfortunately did fabricate this. Yes, I understand that she may have felt rushed and unsure, but she made something up and claimed she was reading it off the card. It wasn't there. And yes, I've worked as a cashier before so I totally, totally understand it can be a difficult job, but making up lies and then not calling for a manager, is not appropriate. She tried to act as though she were the final authority on it. I mailed a letter to the corporate office and also spoke with the store manager.

Lesson learned here, is that the next time I have Kohl's cash, I will have the customer service desk handle the transaction for me instead of a cashier.

It seems I have the worst problem with a coupon when A) I'm only using one and B) it's the stores own coupons that they produce and mail out for use in their stores. It just seems like they'd know what their own stores were putting out as far as coupons, promotions, etc.

6. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

@TazzieL, it would seem that your encounter was with a real up-and-comer! She had just that moment been promoted to CEO of Kohl's and was exerting her new authority!