Ancient Harvest Quinoa

Discussion in 'Rice & Grains' started by katieyj, Aug 8, 2012.

1. katieyj

katieyj Guest

I have purchased my first box of quinoa and need to learn how to make it, I'm sure I could follow the basic cooking instructions, but that doesn't look very exciting ... ideas? I'll throw this over in the What's for dinner tonight thread also, I think some over there eat this.

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

If you've never tried quinoa before, you are in for a treat! You can use quinoa in just about like rice in any recipe, but it has a little bit of a crunch to it as you eat it. We really prefer quinoa to rice as a pilaf. It is super high in nutrients and a complete protein on its own.
    The big thing is remember to rinse it several times in water before cooking it. It has a bitter coating on the outside, that doesn't taste good if you forget that step. If you toss it in a skillet and toast it before cooking, it will have even more flavor. Basically, once it is rinsed (and toasted if you choose to go that route) you just cook it in hot liquid like water or chicken broth. It cooks faster than rice.

3. katieyj

katieyj Guest

Thank you!! I'll be trying a small amount with chicken stock and then deciding what I can do with it. It does sound like I can use it with the Shrimp fried "rice", which could be really interesting. I can't wait.

4. Smee

Smee Guest

The Ancient Harvest brand shouldn't need rinsing (green box, right? Should say on it that it's pre rinsed). It should be ready to cook right out of the box.

We eat this a lot! My favorite, surprise surprise, is just quinoa, cooked as you would rice, with drained Rotel. I have also used it in stuffed peppers. It really does take the place of rice in a lot of dishes. As a side by itself, I add bouillon (my preferred brand is Better Than Bouillon paste) to the water. The biggest difference I've seen between quinoa and rice is that quinoa isn't so starchy and doesn't get so sticky. In my experience, it's pretty much foolproof.

5. katieyj

katieyj Guest

yes that's the one I bought, not that there was alot of choices. This was the cheapest I've seen it, over $5/box. I've read it's much better for you then rice. but must admit I was surprised to see it had more calories then my jasmine rice.

6. Gardencook

I don't worry much about the calories in whole grain foods. Figure they are nutrient dense enough that the calories will take care of themselves in extra fiber. Quinoa is REALLY high in protein, but unlike meat is very low in fat. It is also a great source of potassium.
    Since the low carb diets are so popular right now, many get worried about the carbohydrates in grains and seeds as well, but I put the carbs in white flour and white rice in an entirely different category than whole grains. Diabetics have to look at it differently, but for the average person, the fiber in the whole grain is going to take care of the blood sugar spike.
    As far as the price of quinoa, that definitely hurts. :sad3: Until recently, we haven't been able to buy it in bulk, however, once I brought a bunch back from a large city, one of our stores started carrying it in bulk. It is a LOT cheaper that way. Since good things rarely last in this town, now I have to worry that since I'm well stocked, I won't be buying it. Then by the time I run out, the store may have discontinued it because it wasn't selling. :hectic:

BTW, it is interesting you are still getting quinoa in a box. The stores here are moving toward a slightly larger bag with a zip-top. Of course, a larger price tag comes with the deal as well.

7. gctattoo

gctattoo Well-Known Member Trader Group

That's the kind of quinoa we eat and no, that one doesn't require rinsing. Here's a recipe that I like: Simple Savory Quinoa

8. chitownmelli

chitownmelli Guest

So about this crunch - is it like the crunch of underdone pasta orrrrrr - can you possibly explain? I have food texture issues lol (not kidding) which is why I do like cooked vegetables rather than raw - I can't stand the crunchiness in my mouth. I really want to try quinoa and I am ALWAYS interested in something that is a complete protein! I wonder if the co-op or Whole foods would have it in the bulk bins, because I have seen the price of the boxes and well... that isn't happening lol!

9. gctattoo

gctattoo Well-Known Member Trader Group

I don't find it to be crunchy. Maybe I overcook it. It's a little firmer than rice. But it's better because it doesn't get gummy or stick together. But I wouldn't call it crunchy.

10. Gardencook

No, it isn't a crunch like fresh veggies. Quinoa is actually a seed rather than a grain, so it is a little different, but not much. I actually enjoy the texture on my tongue, but don't really know how to explain it. I bit rubbery, but since the grains are so small, they aren't hard to chew. It kind of pops on your tongue when you bite down on it. That is probably about as clear as mud. LOL!
    Yes, you can get quinoa in bulk at Whole Foods and most co-ops sell it as well. I bought quite a bit of it at Whole Foods and Sunflower Farmer's Market a couple months ago. It is a LOT cheaper in bulk, but still not cheap by any means. Bulk would be ideal for you. That way you would only have to buy a small amount to try it.
    There are actually a ton of different quinoas out there, but only about three sold commercially. The traditional, cheapest and most readily available is white. You can also buy red and black, but they are pricier. They have also started selling a mixed quinoa with all three colors together, which is more colorful on your plate.
    Prices might be different in your area of the country, but organic white quinoa was on sale for $2.99 in bulk when we bought it. It was that price when our local store started selling it in bulk, but it has since gone up. Haven't checked in a few weeks, but it was running running $3.60 a pound last I looked, and I don't think that was organic.
    I can't remember what the black and red quinoa cost at the time, but it was quite a bit more and that was on sale, so I bought less and have been mixing it will white to make it stretch. Just as with most foods, the colored quinoas are higher in antioxidants, but that doesn't mean white quinoa isn't nutrititous.

11. chitownmelli

chitownmelli Guest

Well that is fantastic information! Thank you! I don't think $3 is too bad in bulk, I mean it would go a long way - the daycare kids might like it, well I know two in particular probably will, they most likely have had it before lol!!!

I'll give it a try, I'm super excited!!! I've been in a food rut, time for something new and wonderful lol!

12. Gardencook

I was out trying to track down canning supplies AGAIN today. The store which has been out of jars all week is the one that sells quinoa in bulk, so I swung by the bulk bins to see where prices are these days. They have two varieties. The organic white is running $3.75 a pound right now and the red quinoa was not organic and something like $5.69 a pound. The co-op was selling organic black quinoa for about $8.99 a pound. OUCH! I'm sure I didn't pay that at Whole Foods, but it was on sale and a couple months ago.
    BTW, I FINALLY found jars, but one of the boxes had something rattling around in it which easily could have been broken glass. It got left on the shelf. :sad3:

13. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original "Viral" Foodie

Ladies you might want to check Amazon for prices on quinoa. Sometimes they have good sales, especially if you can get an additional percentage off with the "subscribe and save" option.

14. JulieDB

JulieDB Guest

That brand doesn't need to be rinsed. When I used to make it I cooked in chicken broth with some diced carrots, celery, onions and maybe some peas. Finely chopped spinach or other veggies would work well too. Alas I can no longer make it. I can't have chicken and daughter can't have quinoa.