Amish Friendship Bread

L

lisa89

I rec'd this & have been following the directions every day except today. Today was day 10 or whatever & the day to actually bake it. I didn't have pudding for it, so got that & totally forgot about making the damn bread. It's 10:30 at night & I have NO desire to make it now.

Is it ok if it sits another 12 hours & I do it in the morning?!?!? Or have I ruined the friendships I was going to create with this bread by not making it today!?!?!

N

niftyneon99

Re: Friendship Bread

hmm, this sounds like the amish cinnamon bread that we made for awhile, I think you'll be ok but you'd better count tonight as day one for your next starter batch.

M

mrsjschultz

I think you would be o.k. to make it today....

The last time I made it I forgot about it for a few days and it turned out the same as usual. If you think about it though...it's been sitting there fermenting for the past week and a half so a few extra hours isn't gonna hurt, LOL.

GL - it's super yummy. I've made it with banana pudding before and it tastest even yummier than banana bread!

P

pickle1975

I think that it'll be fine and yes, I agree with the previous posts that this bread is really yummy!

N

Nicole

I have always wanted to give that bread a try.. I have never had any! I don't know a lot of people to share it with though

L

lisa89

well i made it this morning & it makes 2 loaves & 1 loaf is almost gone so I'd say everyone here likes it!!! mmmm You end up with 4 starter packs for the next round & I was able to pass 3 on to neighbors & have one left to either keep or get rid of. I would like to make it again in 10 days but don't know who'd I'd give those next 4 out to!!!

H

hopeky94

I agree, this bread is super-yummy-- BUT unless you know LOTS of people to give starters to, it can get overwhelming in a hurry! LOL

Several years ago, I decided to make a bunch of loaves and freeze them, then sell them at our annual yard sale. So I kept multiple starters so it wouldn't take as long to make enough loaves... but after the first couple rounds, it felt like I was sleeping, eating, and breathing friendship bread-- Aaack! I was using up most of my counterspace with starters, then most of my kitchen table to fill the baking pans, let them cool after baking, and wrapping each loaf in foil to be frozen...

But being frugal, it just seemed such a waste to stop making them and tossing my leftover starters... until I finally got sick of looking at and smelling of them-- then out they finally went! LOL

But on the plus side, the suggestion to change up the type pudding mix is great: I made some with the original recipe and some substituting banana pudding, and both were very good! I wanted to try out other varieties, but wasn't brave enough at the time! :)

And FYI-- the breads sold moderately well at our yard sale... but when they sold the best was early in the morning, when I took one loaf, warmed it up, and cut it into sample slices! If I remember correctly, we also had some coffee to go with it, but can't remember if we sold that or gave it away! LOL

L

lisa89

So how do you make a starter for this bread?
Google Amish Friendship Bread & you'll find it! I had to google it to reprint the recipe when I passed it to the neighbors. My original got pretty nasty when I was making it this morning!!

Good idea on the freezing it, I never thought of that!!!

C

couponmomto2

My dh loves it with chocolate pudding and chocolate chips.

M

Mexi

It's been years since I have made this. It was good!

L

lisa89

OK I found this recipie for the starter at Allrecipies.com http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Friendship-Bread-Starter/Detail.aspx

And this one for the bread
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Friendship-Bread-I/Detail.aspx

neither of which use pudding mix.

Am I missing something here or did I just not google long enough.

Here is the one I printed to send w/ my starter bags. It was very similar to what I had except I had to take out 4 cups in the end, this recipe says 3. Also nuts are optional, I didn't add them.

http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

I ended up keeping one bag for myself so I'll be baking in 10 days again & think I may keep a couple at that time so I can make more to freeze!! MMMMM

M

misse

instead of passing on the starter can you keep one starter for self and bake 3 loaves. i know i could take extra to work and they would be gone in no time, or gift them to someone. during the holidays i could make them during thanksgiving and then gift thru december.

S

smachel

i have always wanted to do the friendship bread thing. perhaps i will go find the recipe. you guys are making me hungry with all this talk!

M

MrsPinecone

Apparently, you can freeze the starter for this in 1 cup increments.

Good way to avoid having to pass it to all your friends and/or maintain the starter forever!

T

***Tiffany***

I love, love, love Amish baked goods! Their recipes are the best.

M

MrsPinecone

How odd. We were talking about this and my mom came home with a bag of starter. I plan to freeze one starter and make several batches of bread with the rest. LOVE my new freezer!!!