Amazon is driving me nuts.

Discussion in 'Telling It Like It Is!' started by Fillies Fan, May 8, 2017.

1. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

For the past few years I have not bought any physical books. I simply downloaded them onto my Kindle. Not only was it much less expensive but it gave me a wider choice as Israeli bookstores don't have big English selections.

I really liked my Kindle. It came with a case which opened like a book, giving me the real book feeling. It also had buttons on the side to flip pages. Then, a few days ago, it died.

I decided to order a new one. The cheapest I could find was $79.99 (today it is on sale for $59.99). This price doesn't include the cover or the charger. As I suspect that my old charger is what killed by Kindle, I knew I would have to get a new one. I would also have to get a new case as none of the Kindles now being offered are the same size as my old one. The thing that turned me off about this particular Kindle is that it does not have buttons to flip pages. I don't like the idea of messing up my screen by touching it all the time.

The next one was $119.99 (today, $99.99) but it has the same problems as the first one.

I finally decided on the Kindle Voyage Bundle (which, today, is not being offered). The Voyage has buttons to flip pages. The Bundle included an adapter and a cover (but I don't think the cover is the kind that opens like a book). The price was $234.97 (plus shipping charges to Israel). When I chose it, Amazon said it could be mailed to Israel. When I went to order it, I was told that it could not be shipped here. In fact, none of the Kindles could be.

Okay, I decided to have it mailed to a friend in Georgia who would re-ship it to me. I entered her address (I have sent her things from Amazon in the past) and Amazon told me that the address does not exist.

I phoned them. They could not figure out why I could not have Kindles mailed to me. They could also not figure out what was wrong with her address. (She has Amazon Prime and gets stuff sent to that address all the time.)

In the end, I sent her a GC for the Voyage Bundle, she ordered it, and it will arrive at her house on Wednesday. She will then have to go to her post office to re-ship it to me (I don't know how much it will cost but will send her the money by PayPal.

I have no idea of how long this will take. The Post Office website says 6 to 10 business days, but that does not include how long it will sit in Israeli Customs before they decide to release it.

Meanwhile, I bought a collection of leather-bound classic books which was on sale at a local store and am now reading them. Believe it or not, I am starting with Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales.

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

So much for being a technologically advanced society. You just have to know how to work around and somehow beat the system. Enjoy the books.

3. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Hey, I am putting that book you wrote on the reading list for when I retire in a couple of years! It looks super interesting.

I got a nook a long while back, but have never had a kindle. I thought it would be handy to take when I travel, but I haven't used it much lately. I think you can actually download the ereader apps to any tablet or desktop as well.

Fillies Fan likes this.
  4. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

There's no need to wait a couple of years. All the stories in it are separate and none will take you more than a few minutes to read -- so you can read one or two today and then wait until you have time to read a bit more. It doesn't matter if you don't remember what was in the earlier stories.

KmmCo and jastwins like this.