45 lbs of ground beef and what to do with it

saving-n-va

Trader Group
In 2 hrs I am picking up my 40 lbs of Zaycon ground beef. (first time trying it).
Its extremely lean, so I also purchased 5 lbs of 80% lean to mix into part for burgers and meatballs.

Here is my plan for what I am going to do with it all. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Mix the 80% with a 10 lb section and make:
24 - 48 patties
3-4 meatloaves
4-5 dozen meatballs (will precook and freeze for quick meals)

Brown 10 lbs plain for quick meals (soups, sloppy joes, "helper" etc)

Brown another 10 lbs and season 5 lbs for pasta and 5 with just onion and garlic (I will also add cooked lentils to this to stretch it even farther)

package the last 10 lbs into 1 lb sections for "whatever" meals

Wish me luck! We are supposed to get some bad weather this afternoon with high winds...our lot is wooded....this could be interesting.

bugweena

Trader Group
Good luck. If you run out of freezer space, ground beef is great canned. I use it a lot for tacos/enchiladas, casseroles, etc.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
I can't think of anything you haven't covered but I had to stop in and say I'm envious! :wink7: Enjoy your beef and save some uncooked for chili this fall!

saving-n-va

Trader Group
I can't think of anything you haven't covered but I had to stop in and say I'm envious! :wink7: Enjoy your beef and save some uncooked for chili this fall!

I plan to save about 1/4 of it just to put in the 1 lb bags for things like that.

We run our budget by the year, not the month. So if I go over one month, like say a big beef purchase..lol, I just adjust the rest of the months.

saving-n-va

Trader Group
So final results:
3 meatloaves (1 cooked for dinner tomorrow)
12 mini meatloaves (muffin tin size)
24 hamburger patties
6 lbs italian seasoned browned ground beef
6 lbs general seasoned ground beef
16 lbs browned, unseasoned ground beef
10 lbs divided and frozen for future plans

I cooked a bag of brown lentils and added them to the various browned ground beef mixtures to stretch it out even further. Unless you were looking you wouldn't know they were in there. hehe.

I got home and had an email that my package was .4 lbs short, so they credited me for that! Wow, that's service!

KimShaw

☕♥ I made it to 1,000! ♥☕
Staff member
Trader Group
Good luck. If you run out of freezer space, ground beef is great canned. I use it a lot for tacos/enchiladas, casseroles, etc.

my be a crazy question but do you know how to can the ground beef? Is it easy? Would you have a link that would show it? Thanks. Wanting to get into canning and never thought of canning meat even though I do get some meat in a can.

KimShaw

☕♥ I made it to 1,000! ♥☕
Staff member
Trader Group
So final results:
24 hamburger patties

I cooked a bag of brown lentils and added them to the various browned ground beef mixtures to stretch it out even further. Unless you were looking you wouldn't know they were in there. hehe.

I got home and had an email that my package was .4 lbs short, so they credited me for that! Wow, that's service!

do you cook the lentils like you normally would. Boil them or which ever and then add them to the meat mixture? I never made it with Lentils before. Learning some new things already here.

K

kwhile0599

So final results:
24 hamburger patties

:party47:Woohoo! Happy Beef Day :cow77: [MENTION=84623]saving-n-va[/MENTION] You sure don't let your meat loaf! :giggle2: So glad the storm held off & the power stayed on for ya to get all that done! :encourage19:

bugweena

Trader Group
my be a crazy question but do you know how to can the ground beef? Is it easy? Would you have a link that would show it? Thanks. Wanting to get into canning and never thought of canning meat even though I do get some meat in a can.

I started canning ground beef a while ago using the link below. If you have a pressure canner it's a great way to preserve meat. I also can chicken and use in soups, casseroles, etc. A great way to preserve meats that are marked down but you don't want to take up valuable freezer space. When I find ground beef or chicken (have also canned beef chunks but don't use it very often) marked down and can pair with a meat rebate I buy some and can it. I got my pressure canner at the end of summer one year on markdown.

How to Pressure Can Ground Beef

J

JulieDB

That's a lot of beef! I doubt that we'd use that much in a year but then there are only three of us and daughter doesn't like ground beef. I would also season some for Mexican food but then, I love Mexican food!