Frugal Living - Challenge 2021 Daily Frugal challenge

Gardencook

Trader Group
We're close to the end of the month and still have enough fuel points for both a $1 per gallon fill-up and a 20 cent one. The 20 cent one obviously isn't going to get used. With double points I knew we were building too many points last month and this month without those double points we aren't building enough. :confused:

I'd been hoping to make another out of town trip to visit both Natural Grocers and the discount store that is moving, however, things never quite seem to be timed perfectly. The discount store is behind on its move and isn't going to have its soft opening until next week -- AFTER our fuel rewards expire.

We decided to head up to Natural Grocers anyway. We had several pricey health food items we needed and if we went this week we were supposed to get a free block of cheese. Unfortunately, that store is REALLY good at bait-and-switch. I always cringe about sales when I head up for one, because I know they will "be out" of a big chunk of the items advertised. They NEVER stock enough to cover sales.

I get the same answer every time -- "We're getting another shipment tomorrow, so you can check back then." When I explain that we drive 120 miles round trip and can't come back "tomorrow," they refuse to do anything about it, just shrug their shoulders. Until they actually build a store for us in our city, it isn't a place we can shop regularly.

Today we were disgusted enough to have it happen again, that we simply put back what little we had already put in our cart and left without buying anything. There is a really nice local health food store in that town and they've got a MUCH better rewards program. We decided to spend our dollars there.

We did shop at a few other stores while we were there. Found a close-out on name brand zipper bags at a grocery store. They're normally $2.78 a box and we got them for $1.39 -- which in my book is close enough to a dollar store price to bite -- especially because I'm always frustrated by dollar store zipper bags and try NOT to buy them. We waste more time getting the "zippers" to work on those thin bags than the savings are worth.

We went to five thrift stores while we were there. We generally don't get to more than one or two of them when we've got a bunch of other stores to visit. However, we pretty well struck out at them today. Three of them have gotten ridiculously expensive and they are now charging WAY too much for my taste.

We were really impressed by the final, "Idaho" charity store when we first entered. The selection there was MUCH better than our store, but I quickly figured out why. When was the last time you saw a second-hand baking sheet for $10.49 or a muffin tin for $8.49? They were nice, but NOT that nice. They wanted $249 for a used air conditioner that had seen better days. Walmart sells new ones for less than $150. I'd really like to know how how many people are willing to pay those prices.

All we ended up buying was a spare cooler bag at the most reasonably priced store and a lamp at one that has gotten quite a bit more expensive since moving to a new location. We didn't buy anything at three of the stores.

We didn't actually need the lamp, but it was reasonably priced, had an expensive light bulb that was probably worth more than we paid and the shade looked like it was the right size to replace the one DH ruined a few months ago -- now I just don't know if I want to remove the shade, since the lamp is taller than the one I've got on my end table and I really need a taller lamp to get better light. I just wish it matched the other lamps in the living room.

We swung by the produce stand before leaving town, but weren't terribly impressed there either. I had plenty of most of the items they had in stock, but they didn't have most of what I was hoping to find. Between the drought and wildfires this year, apparently the regional farmers just can't produce enough to ship up our direction. There are SO many farmers who had their water cut off this year and had no choice but to watch all that beautiful produce die in the field.

The smoke from California isn't getting any better either. We couldn't catch sight of any of our mountains as we pulled out of town today. The back of the Tetons are visible on a clear day in the other city, but it wasn't worth even trying to look today. The weather service/EPA keep extending our health advisories from one week to the next. They keep thinking the smoke is going to move out, but then the fires worsen and the smoke keeps pouring in.

When we pulled back into town, we stopped at one of our favorite stores for a couple things. They had some Dr. Scholl's insoles on clearance and I picked up some of those. I'm having problems with what I suspect is plantar fasciitis and can't figure out what to do about it since I've also got several other knee and foot problems and one shoe works for one thing, but not the next. These were gel insoles with a lot of heel cushioning, but now I've got to figure out if I can get them to fit in any of the million pairs of shoes that don't work with my feet otherwise. They were 75 percent off and will be a great deal IF I can get them to work.

Gardencook

Trader Group
@Gardencook I got these socks for plantar fasciitis, they worked great and fit with any shoe or at night.

Thanks @mtka ! I used to wear knee high compression socks when we traveled and they certainly helped. Then it got to the point where I couldn't find any that didn't wreak havoc with my knees. The socks you listed look like they'd solve that problem and I'd love to try them if I could just figure out what size. I used to pick up the dollar store ones that were "one size fits all" for my mom, because she really liked them, but apparently I wasn't the "all" they were talking about. BOY do I miss the days when we could see something before we bought it!

Because of my height, I have a really tough time finding slacks that are long enough. Stumbled on a brand years ago that fit me perfectly (the dye just bleeds and leaves my legs grey -- even after years of washing :eek:) , but now I've lost weight and I'm trying to decide if they will fit if I buy the next size down on Amazon. The Herbergers/Bon Ton chain that sold them to me went bankrupt and our store closed long before the chain did. Nobody else in the region sells them.

As long as I'm probably placing an order anyway, I'd love to try the socks if I could just figure out what size to buy. It looks like there are a few other brands that may (or may not) be even larger so I'm reading through reviews trying to figure out which brand might be a little looser around the ankle. Do you have trouble with yours binding around the ankle?

I don't have the huge swollen feet of someone with severe diabetes or congestive heart failure, but my feet do swell by the end of the day -- especially when I'm sitting upright in a car all day.

I've always wondered what it would be like to be a traditional "dainty" woman who could wear "normal" sizes, but at nearly six feet that wasn't ever going to be my experience. I've got REALLY thick ankles. I never have figured out if they'd classify me as a "large" or "medium" build, because my wrists are actually not that large. The charts that used to classify you by wrist size always put me in the medium category.

Traditional women's socks are WAAAY to tight in the ankle for me and are generally too small for my foot. Just My Size put out some plus-size tan cotton anklets decades ago that are literally the ONLY socks I can wear. However, I discovered them just about the time they discontinued them. I keep washing and protecting them from harm, because miraculously they've survived for years without wearing out.

When they are gone I don't know what I'll wear. I had just started buying soft men's socks when the feet of today's boys started growing astronomically. Now we can't even find men's socks for my husband where the heel doesn't go halfway up his calf -- and most men seem to have really thin ankles, so ... :rolleyes:

I've tried many plus-size women's socks since then, but they generally cut off the circulation in my ankles and diabetic socks don't do that, but they are too loose and cause my foot to slide around worsening my neuroma.

When we were kids, they always told us "getting old" was tough, but I really didn't expect it before I felt "old." :D And the sock "problem" began in elementary school before I could be called "old." Knee highs were in style then and I've NEVER had a pair that reached my knees in my entire life!

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
@Gardencook they don't bind at the ankle, for me but they do make the ones that only go around the arch part, like a strap and not a sock. Walmart sells the socks that you can try both sizes at the store.

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought about the arch ones.

Just checked our store and the Copper Fit ones caught my eye right off the bat. Those are the compression socks I used to wear and I've also got Copper Fit compression gloves that work well if carpal tunnel flares up. Walmart is where I picked up the Copper Fit gloves one time when we were on the road.

Unfortunately, the web site doesn't think our store sells much in the way of compression arch supports. Guess I'll have to check anyway next time we're in the store.

The only ones our store has in stock appear to be the ones with the big shock absorbing cushion under the arch. Those wouldn't work with my shoes being tight over the instep like I need them. When it isn't one thing it is another. We passed three Walmarts when we were out of town yesterday and they are usually the ones which have things we want/need. It seems like whatever we want is never at our store and they make us drive for it.

Guess I'll have to check and see if the computer is wrong. Sometimes stores have more in stock than the computer knows. We'll probably be heading to Walmart within the next few days., because I haven't gotten my $25 SB card for the month yet.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Thanks! Checked your links.

The one you got for your mother is the one that is supposedly in our store here. I always have to get some sort of shoe with an arch support in it, so it is the one I'm worried won't work with my shoes.

The one you mentioned at Walmart is sold out online and in store in the L/XL size. They've only got it in S/M. I'm sure that won't work for me. I'm just trying to figure out whether a women's XL of XXL will work or if a men's size will have the heel clear up my calf. lol!

KmmCo

Trader Group
*Friday for dinner: I just had a cheese quesadilla and DH scrounged out a leftover.

Saturday dinner: My son is bringing his girlfriend over. We are having grilled chicken and whatever garden veggies I can scrounge up.

*I did return the 4 pack canning jars and a couple of other packaged items for a $27 refund yesterday. I spent way too much and needed to get a little of that stuff taken back.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well @mtka , my thought processes had a roundabout way of getting there, but thanks for the advice!

Hospice made an absolute HORROR out of my mother's death a few years ago. Then despite the fact that my husband, brother-in-law, nephew and one sister were each witnesses to what was going on, the other sister went on a screaming tare blaming me for it all after hospice needed a scapegoat for its negligence. Needless to say, it is a period I'd prefer to forget, but still have nightmares about.

I mentioned that my mom wore ankle supports from the dollar store regularly. After I went to visit one time and she'd run out of them, I'd pick them up for her at our local discount store which used to sell dollar store merchandise for even less than a dollar. She still had several unopened packages at her death and I did manage to save some before they got hauled to the dump/thrift stores or wherever my sister was hauling everything without allowing me or my other sister to have any say. Due to the circumstances, I haven't been able to bring myself to sort through the few items I was able to salvage.

Today, I got to thinking that the support bands that go over your arch are really nothing more than half of an ankle support and wondered if I could cut one of mom's, bind the edges and use it. I still hated to "ruin" a good ankle support, but figured they weren't doing much good sitting in a box anyway.

I KNOW I've tried one in the past, because I tend to be great at twisting ankles and have often wished I could use one instead of a bulky Ace bandage, however, when I tried it was WAY too tight. Like I mentioned the ones mom wore were supposedly one size fits all. I don't know if I had a twisted/swollen ankle when I tried it before, if the dollar store ones varied in size or if I got a defective one, but I do remember I couldn't get it on my foot. There were some pretty blue ones that were in a two-pack and came later. Blue was always moms favorite color so I bought some of them, as well. I'm wondering if they are smaller and that is the one I tried.

Decided to give it one more try before cutting into the black one I dug out and this one fit fine! I've been wearing it for two or three hours now and it doesn't seem too tight around the ankle, so I hope it works. I've got several more of them if they are the answer, so thanks for bringing them up. I had pretty much forgotten I even had them or that they were used for plantar problems. Had you not mentioned it, they'd still be sitting there doing nothing -- and it didn't cost me a cent more out of pocket!

I've got at least one package of the blue ones as well, so I'll have to give those a try and see if that is where the confusion arose. I honestly don't care what color they are, as long as they work.

Last edited:

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
@Gardencook , I hope the ankle supports work for you. A few years ago I suffered from plantar fasciitis and it was 9 months of misery. Finally l, I visited a podiatrist and paid $40 for these hard plastic half inserts. It took a couple of weeks but the pain finally went away. Always keep the muscle stretched and I make sure I flex my feet every day. These inserts helped my mom and I had to ask for them back when I missed a step and got plantar fasciitis on my left foot.
Always wear good walking sneakers and good shoes. Ankle support is key to avoiding this painful condition.

KmmCo

Trader Group
I am dehydrating zucchini like crazy, I will probably shred and freeze what is left before I leave on Thursday morning. I am going to get a big batch of pickles made today again. There are still a ton of thumb sized cucumbers on the vines, so I hope my son keeps up with them while I am gone.

The tomato plants are just starting to go to town now. I might have to can a few tomatoes too.

*The chicken dinner last night was good. We grilled it and had flavored rice, green beans, a little zucchini, and some cantaloupe. I have leftover chicken for my dinner tonight.

*for lunch I am going to make some kind of pizza type concoction. Don't know yet if it will be on regular bread or flatbread. I just have to look and see what is in the kitchen.

Breakfast has been yogurt and banana the last couple of days. i think I will make some muffins later today though - probably banana nut ones. I bought a big bag of walnuts at Costco the other day.

Today, I am going to a meetup at a nearby park of a financial/early retirement group that I belong to. There were only 6 people going for sure so far, but maybe more will drop in.

*I found a $42+ check in the mail that I was sorting though last night. It was from a reverse stock split - they cash out any fractional shares when they do that. I will get it deposited on Monday.

bugweena

Trader Group
I used a couple of Lowes Home Improvement gift cards that I had purchased when they were buy $50 save $10 on next shopping order. Now that we have one in our town we are going there much more frequently than Home Depot for our home improvement needs. I have lunches packed for this week--salads and leftovers. Company for Labor day weekend and we are going to grill shrimp and steak and have caprese salad with the last of my tomatoes and basil. Should be much cheaper than 4 adults going out to a steakhouse!

Gardencook

Trader Group
@Gardencook , I hope the ankle supports work for you. A few years ago I suffered from plantar fasciitis and it was 9 months of misery. Finally l, I visited a podiatrist and paid $40 for these hard plastic half inserts. It took a couple of weeks but the pain finally went away. Always keep the muscle stretched and I make sure I flex my feet every day. These inserts helped my mom and I had to ask for them back when I missed a step and got plantar fasciitis on my left foot.
Always wear good walking sneakers and good shoes. Ankle support is key to avoiding this painful condition.

I've only worn the support for a few hours last night before bed and already notice a big difference. I didn't wear it to bed, because it was beginning to feel a bit tight by bedtime, but I could actually walk when I got out of bed this morning! It has taken me at least an hour before I could walk with "only" a limp for months now.

My mom had a pair of those custom, hard half-sole inserts made years ago and paid well over $100, but they were so painful she gave them to me. I haven't been able to bring myself to try them, because I know they'd hit right about where the callous is on the side of my foot.

It is exasperating, but I can't find any walking shoes and I don't really want to add to the collection of 20 or more pairs I already have. I've got some really nice ones, but I can usually wear a shoe for a day or two before It gets unbearable -- just long enough to make it impossible to return the shoes.

I bought a couple of cheap, gel insole slip-ons sneakers at Walmart on clearance before our trip to Yellowstone last month and they worked better than anything else I could find, but I know they aren't going to have the support I need over the long haul. My arches will cause problems if I wear them too often.

We used to have to drag my shoes home from the Coast when we traveled. The owner at the "quality" shoe store when I first moved here tried to sell me black orthopedic shoes (like my grandmothers wore in the 1950s) to go with my white wedding dress in the 1980s. :eek: She told me "Women with feet as fat as yours can't wear pumps!" She didn't seem to notice that I was standing in a pair of pumps I got at the downtown Seattle Nordstrom store as she said it. Boy I miss the service I used to get in college at that terrific store!

It took me years to figure out that my foot isn't actually fat, I just have to buy wide shoes to get them over the top of my high arch.

I later got desperate enough that I returned to the same store here in town and bought FOUR pair of pumps off the discount rack for less than $10 a pair. The pair I paid $4.98 for was white and I'm sure they probably had them on the shelf when I was shopping for my wedding dress, but she was too lazy too go look.

I found two pair of identical black, genuine patent leather pumps for $9.98 each that day, as well. I would have paid full price had I known they had them.

It was one of those racks where they set out one shoe and you have to ask for the mate. When I asked to try the four pair, the same gal disappeared downstairs for a few minutes and then came back several minutes later without ANY of the mates and angrily asked, "Are you aware that you gave me TWO shoes that are IDENTICAL?" To which I replied, "Yes, and I have NO problem with buying two pairs of identical shoes, but I will NOT buy them until I try them."

They fit and were so comfortable, I wore them until they were ready to fall apart.

In retrospect, I think the reason I wore so many pumps was that I didn't have to worry about my high arch when there was no top on the shoe. That was the reason I could get my heel in them. Now my arches need support and I can no longer wear pumps, so the high top causes the shoe to be too short to get my heel in the shoe. Although, I used to be able to wear a Mary Jane type shoe with a strap and the past several years all of the straps have been too short to go over the top of my foot.

I used to go to Famous Footwear and Shoe Carnival often trying to find something, but I gave up after I had to drive to Shoe Carnival 60 miles away to find out the shoes I wanted/needed were here at our store all the time. I wanted black and only found brown in the other city, so on a hunch while purchasing them asked the clerk if she would check the computer and see if our store had black. Even though I'd already looked at our store, it turned out they had them and it was a fight (Shoe Carnival has a policy of not holding shoes), but I finally got her to call and hold them for an hour until I could drive back down.

When I asked why I hadn't seen them in the store, I was told "We only had a few pairs so we didn't set them out." I'm not quite sure how a self-service shoe store intends to sell shoes if customers can't see them. :(

That shoe was a pair of the Clark's slides/mules which are the ONLY ones I've been able to wear for dress for years now. Before that, we waited in a crowd at 4 a.m. in sub-zero temperatures the day after Thanksgiving to get the only pair they had in my size after I saw them in an ad. I raced to grab them as soon as the door opened that morning -- the only time in my life I've had to be one of those "crazy" Black Friday shoppers. That was my desperation.

I got there before another woman who WAS not happy I'd found them before her, but that is life in a town without a decent shoe store.

I found the only remaining pair my size at Herberger's grand opening the day it opened its doors, as well. Now we no longer have a high-end department store that sells Clark's

Once I realized Clark's was using the same sole with a variety of different shoe tops which changed from one season to the next, I was forced to mail order for them. However, if they ever change the sole of those shoes, I'll be STUCK! Still I can only wear those shoes for a couple days before I have to move back to my Lands End ones -- which they no longer make.

I remember Mom dragging me from shoe store to shoe store when I was a child, trying DESPERATELY to find something that fit me foot for back-to-school each year. The shoe salesmen only wanted me to try on one or two pairs of shoes. If the first couple pairs didn't fit, they wanted to move onto another customer, because they could make a lot more money on them.

Due to my height, I was already wearing women's shoes in elementary school and they weren't designed for cotton knee highs. The salesmen would get exasperated about the socks, but nylons on the playground in third or fourth grade just weren't going to work -- not to mention that I wasn't old enough to wear them yet. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
Pickle making is yielding 3 quarts and one pint of Bread and Butter pickles. I also did 2 quarts of dill pickles as well. I have some dill pickle brine left that I will refrigerate and if I get any more cucumbers I will do refrigerator pickles with those.

My meetup was enjoyable. I only recognized 2 of the people there, but it was fun talking to everyone.

Gardencook

Trader Group
I've been waiting on today's inserts, because there was a $3 coupon for the razor blades we got for DH on clearance last month. With last month's insert I thought we got the last box of blades for the razor they are discontinuing. However, a week or so later another showed up and has been sitting on the rack ever since.

All together now we've gotten a razor and 14 blades for about $15 -- less than the price the razor with two blades cost before it was discounted. That will definitely keep DH going for awhile.

I bought some Sketchers sandals a few years ago that fit so well I bought the two pair they had in our city and the two pair they had an hour away. Unfortunately, they were part of the line that Sketchers got sued over, so they got discontinued. They didn't even have the roller heel that everyone was complaining about, but I never really expected a pair of shoes to make my bottom smaller. ;)

I've still got the sandals, but they were getting some wear on them so I had to quit wearing them. Still didn't throw them out, because if I get desperate enough I may have to use them again.

Sketchers athletic shoes were on sale 25 percent off today and my foot was feeling so much better that I tried on several pairs, but they didn't work. I haven't been able to find another pair of Sketchers that fits since the sandals. Today, the one pair that I could get over the top of my foot AND in the heel was way too tight. Should have tried men's shoes I guess, but I was too discouraged.

The sale doesn't end until Tuesday, so I may try again.

I've gotten some Foster Grant sunglasses I absolutely love at the same store the past couple years. They have a lighter lens color which helps me see the dashboard better with our tinted windows. The last thing I want to be doing is taking sunglasses on and off while I'm driving. It was end of season when I discovered them and they were on clearance for either $4.99 or $5.99.

There was a big truck with huge trailer mirrors that stuck out way too far in a parking lot a couple months ago and I ran into a mirror. Thankfully, my last pair of glasses protected my eyes, but they got bent and keep falling off my face ever since. As long as we had to pass the sunglasses on the way to the shoe department I stopped and they had some just like the ones I wear. They were B1G1 which made them $10 a pair when you bought two -- a little more expensive than I have paid, but there is no guarantee they'll price them the same as they have the past couple years.

Rotisserie chickens were marked down to $4.19 right as we entered the door -- rotisserie markdowns rarely happen in this town. We've been trying to cut way back on salt, but we went ahead and impulse bought one for tonight's dinner since we still have spaghetti squash and pesto left from last night.

They also had markdown bags of some of the produce items we were getting low on. Today we got onions, lemons, limes, apples and beets -- all for one dollar a bag.

When we passed the garlic it wasn't on sale, but some of the heads they had were HUGE, so we picked up four of those for 50 cents each.

I like buying garlic at that store, because there are usually a few dried roots on the bottom of the bulbs. I read a tip somewhere that the ones imported from China are trimmed very close to the bottom, because customs doesn't want foreign diseases coming in the remaining soil on imported garlic. Haven't heard more about it the past several years, but I hope it is true. Most of the American garlic comes from Gilroy, California and the farmers down there are REALLY hurting. We're already losing a lot of our almond farmers to the severe drought the past several years. We don't want to lose our garlic farmers, as well.

We decided to drop into another store after that. We found potato salad marked down to 89 cents there and a bag with two huge markdown mangos for 99 cents. We also picked up some cantaloupe which are 99 cents this week. The manager was surprised to see our coupon worked since it hasn't been for others, but when I got home I realized the computer used the coupon from the wrong store, which explains the confusion. I loaded both, because I didn't know which store we'd end up buying the melon at.

Came home and realized halfway up the stairs I was climbing them leg over leg like a "normal" person. My foot has been so sore lately, that I've usually had to take them with the sore foot first and then bring the other foot to meet it. I can't believe how much different it feels with the support on!

Last edited:

mtka

Trader Group
I want to try the new arch fit shoes from Skechers but just can't plunk down that much money. I usually get the Skechers from Kohl's when they have a 40% off coupon but they don't carry the arch fits.

@Gardencook have you ever tried ebay for the shoes? If you know exactly what models you can wear from years past, you just might find them.

I have a pair of avia shoes from Walmart. They are hot pink and all knit, not my favorite, but they were $7 and they work for the farm. Their problem is traction wears down fast, and it gets pretty muddy here. I have fallen a time or two. I should wear the Skechers on the farm as that's where I do most of the walking. Just hate getting new expensive shoes coated in mud and/or manure.

Gardencook

Trader Group
I want to try the new arch fit shoes from Skechers but just can't plunk down that much money. I usually get the Skechers from Kohl's when they have a 40% off coupon but they don't carry the arch fits.

@Gardencook have you ever tried ebay for the shoes? If you know exactly what models you can wear from years past, you just might find them.

I have a pair of avia shoes from Walmart. They are hot pink and all knit, not my favorite, but they were $7 and they work for the farm. Their problem is traction wears down fast, and it gets pretty muddy here. I have fallen a time or two. I should wear the Skechers on the farm as that's where I do most of the walking. Just hate getting new expensive shoes coated in mud and/or manure.

The only place I can find my Lands End shoes is on Ebay @mtka . I found the first three pairs in local thrift stores and they were SO terrific, that I went to buy them on the Lands End site and discovered they had been discontinued. I've been buying them on Ebay ever since. I even get a daily notification from Ebay of all the Lands End shoes in my size. Most of them aren't what I'm looking for, but occasionally I find a pair. The light blue ones I currently wear for everyday are some I got on Ebay. I found them after I wore out the first three pair I found locally.

Unfortunately, what I've learned through buying non-refundable shoes, is that the earlier ones they made were just a tad bit larger than the ones they made later -- which gets back to the high arch problem again. I've got a couple black pairs and a dark brown pair that are just tight enough across the top of my foot that if my foot swells in the least, I get blisters. If my foot is swollen in the least, I can't get them on at all. That leaves me hesitant to buy more, because most of what I see appears to be the newer ones and not the ones I got in the first place.

And if my Mom knew I was contemplating buying more she'd be rolling over in her grave! She HATED those shoes and let me know about it in not-so-subtle ways every time I was out there. She'd usually start telling me how ugly my sister's Birkenstocks were and then move onto mine, because they are basically a Birkenstock copy. Then she'd go on to compliment my Clarks without a clue that I'd LOVE to wear the shoe styles I used to, but can't.

The sister who wears the Birkenstocks also had a really high arch, but hers fell when she was a waitress in college. So far I've succeeded in keeping mine from falling, but that means vanity goes out the window. ;)

Now that I know I'm probably going to have to wear an ankle support, it will be virtually impossible to get the newer ones over the support, especially if I want to wear a sock on top since the ankle support that is working so well for me doesn't have a heel in it.

I've thought for awhile that I should tell them to send me notifications for the Sketchers and Clarks sandals and also Lands End in the size larger than I wear, but I've been trying to decide if I'll be able to wear sandals at all before long and I'm not sure if my foot would slosh around in a larger Lands End. I wear the sandals as much as I can in summer to save the one pair of Lands End ones that fit perfectly for winter. I don't know how many times we've super glued that pair, because the sole keeps separating from the shoe upper and if I lose them I have NOTHING.

I also know Ebay would send daily notifications of all sorts of shoes I couldn't wear and I have a tough enough time wading through emails when Microsoft is having fits. EVERY time I want to do something important on my computer, Microsoft seems to pick THAT exact time to do updates. It NEVER fails. :mad:

Tonight I sat down to submit Procter & Gamble and a Kellogg's Receipt to their respective rewards programs and as soon as I started, Microsoft was at it again! I had to shut down and I just got back on a few minutes ago.

As far as Kohl's, we don't have one locally. I do get there occasionally when we shop an hour away or are in Boise, but I rarely find any shoes my size on the days I get to shop there. I did buy a pair of sneakers there a year or two ago that I hoped might work, but they didn't and they are among the myriad of pairs I keep hanging onto hoping that one day SOMETHING will change and I'll be able to wear some of them.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
*I dried 2 big batches of zucchini, one tray of peas, one tray of onion, and a few green bell peppers. Everything but the bell peepers look really good. I think I sliced them too thin and they burned a little.

*Today I am experimenting with kale. I just cut the main rib out and put the whole leaf on the tray. I will see how it does. I have a ton of kale, so if it works then I will do a lot more of it. I saw a youtube where the lady powdered her dried greens and added them to baked goods for extra nutrition. I was thinking soup, but her idea was good too.

I need to figure out what I am doing with the tomatoes for sure. I have a half dozen of the smaller round ones in the fridge. Today I picked one of the heirloom tomatoes that must be at least a pound. There are a bunch more tomatoes of both types that will be ready in the next day or two. At least the zucchini plant is kind of slowing down for now.....

*For dinner last night, I used a small piece of the grilled chicken for a quesadilla. There is still a good 2 servings left for me the next couple of days.

All of my pickle jars sealed successfully and I took them downstairs to the pantry to store this morning. I promptly saw one more cucumber on the vine I missed yesterday. I guess I will pick it later and use it for a small batch of refrigerator pickles. I have almost ate all the first batch that was in the fridge.

I am so glad that I have had time this last couple of weeks to take care of all the excess garden produce. I still have a lot of produce in the fridge and will probably throw some in the the cooler when I leave on Thursday for my trip. DH has been making a small salad everyday to go with his work lunch, so that is using up some of the produce, but it is way more that we can eat for sure. When I get back from my September trip, I will have to deal with the pumpkins. DS thinks he might be able to sell some of them. The pumpkins did well this year for sure and we have way more that the couple of Halloween carving pumpkins that we need..

mtka

Trader Group
I have been looking for a swimsuit the entire season. I just want a simple tank, no frills and cheap. It's for a backyard pool, not a resort. I finally ordered a tankini top with a zipper (they give a little more room if needed) at JCP with a 50% mystery coupon. I also ordered my mom a pair of slippers and another swimsuit for me because it was cheap and wasn't hideous. The next day JCP told me the swimsuit I wanted was gone (even though it was still for sale on the site) but my other orders were coming. The suit is just ok, needs to be an inch or two longer and it is fully lined, making it less stretchy and takes forever to dry which is the opposite of ideal for a backyard pool and has weird, uncomfortable plastic pieces on the armpit. I used to get the suits at Kmart for around $15. They fit perfectly, dry super fast, were not all black. Our kmarts closed and from what I see online, they don't sell them anymore. The only places I see with a simple tank, they are well over my price point. I would love to try a land's end one, but don't know how they fit and don't want to buy it and return it, plus they are a little expensive, even on sale.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
@mtka are you near a Marshall’s or TJ Maxx? They have many bathing suits like the ones you want. Good luck finding something you like.
I keep my shoes and clothes since I go through phases where I cannot find what I like at a price I am willing to pay. This summer, Kohls has been a letdown. TJ Maxx had two Calvin Klein tops I loved and was willing to pay $14.99 for each one. So this summer, I have not gotten any new shoes and only 4 tops. It kills me that I am not near a TJ Maxx since my bank job kept me on my little Island this summer. When school starts on Wednesday I may sneak a trip off island since I will be finished with work before 3 pm.
@Gardencook , I am glad you have had some relief with the arch support socks. Wearing my Teva flip flops was what made my heel pain even worse. After getting the inserts, I could only wear them with sneakers. It took a few weeks but they did work and if I feel like the pain may come back I again wear my sneakers with inserts. Any long days on my feet I made sure to wear sneakers all day long. Arch support is so important and necessary.
I have found some of my favorite shoes or boots when I was not looking for them. Deals in TJ Maxx, Marshall’s or famous footwear have kept me well stocked. I did a purge this past year and will get rid of more footwear next week.
The girls did not move all their stuff out and if they do not ask for it, their shoes may be tossed or donated.