Frugal Living - Challenge 2021 Daily Frugal challenge

KmmCo

Trader Group
Made it to Colorado without a hitch. I didn't do much on Friday. I even took a nap in the afternoon for a bit. I was hungry and we had a big brunch of scambled eggs with some veggies mixed in. I fixed a bacon sandwich for lunch.

Today, DH and I did a bunch of yard work and also did some errands. Farmers market, Sprouts, Walmart, and Costco. I managed to get laundry and a load of dishes done too. Tomorrow I have plans to do some closet cleaning and some odd and end stuff inside the house.

*Even though some leftovers went into the trash, I managed to save the turkey and BBQ pork meat. I will eat that for lunches for a couple of day.

*My son planted a huge garden but has been neglecting it the last couple of weeks as he started his new job. I picked a huge zuchinni and some lettuce. DH made some teriyaki chicken lettuce wraps for dinner on Friday.

*Oatmeal for breakfast today for both of us. We went out for lunch today at Chilis. Dinner was some pork chops with corn on the cob (4/$1 at Sprouts) and some of the zuchini (seasoned with some stuff we already had in the house.)

*I did thaw enough chicken breast that some of it can be used for dinner tomorrow night too. I will see what I feel like making with it. Plenty of veggies in the fridge and stuff in the cupboards to come up with something good.

I am going to just plow thru some projects this week while DH is at work and on Thurs/Friday we can go up to my mountain condo and chill a bit..

Gardencook

Trader Group
We're still getting settled after our trip. Had some errands to run yesterday and picked up a few markdowns at the stores.

We fueled the car using about a 60 cent fuel discount that was about to expire a day or two before we left on our trip.

We then refilled the car in Jackson using a $1 per gallon discount.

In West Yellowstone we filled the tank once using part of a fuel card we had earned with rewards programs. Then we added a few more gallons the next day after we'd driven around Yellowstone the previous day. The card only had $11.99 left on it and I figured it was just better to get it out of my purse. That gave us enough fuel to drive home the following day.

Yesterday, we needed to refill again and used another $1 per gallon fuel reward we had earned. Still have a smaller reward to use toward the end of the month when we're running low again and have started to pile up fuel points we can use next month, as well.

We stopped at a grocery store in another city on the way home. Got a couple packages of ground turkey for 99 cents each. One was extra lean (99 percent) and we used that for dinner tonight. Still have a package of 93 percent lean to use. Would have liked more, but didn't have the space.

We also got markdown organic yogurt, a lot of greens and some prepared mashed potatoes which looked easy after a long trip.

Yesterday we picked up a bit of produce since we used up everything on the trip and before the trip in preparation.

We also ran by the discount grocery which has gotten in two big loads of food in the past few weeks. It was arriving right as we left on our trip.

Tried to control myself, because I'm trying to use things up not drag too much more home. However, they did have single serve cranberry juice bottles which are nice for travel, some of the organic fire-roasted tomatoes I love and a few other odds and ends. A lot of things I would have liked to try, but I restrained myself.

Miss the slightly cooler weather we had up north of here. It was still hot, because it was a higher altitude, but the 80s and 90s we experienced were a lot better than the 100s we're going to have here this week. It was a lot warmer down here while we were gone.

Glad you are recovering from your exasperating July 4th weekend @jastwins and congratulations on your daughter getting into Grad school!

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
Sunday was not as busy of a day for me as Saturday was. I managed to sneak in a leisurely walk to the local park and a little youtube watching. I did get dishes done, one small load of laundry done, and a bit of gardening. I also shredded a bunch of papers and threw more stuff in the recycle bin.

I made a batch of no bake cookies yesterday. I had to have my son run me to the store after that to replace the oatmeal that I used up. I was glad that he came by with his girlfriend to pick some stuff out of the garden. I gave him the other half of the giant zuchinni since I still had plenty left from the stuff we made on Saturday night.

*I just ate microwaved leftovers yesterday. Today for lunch I made a good chicken and veggie plate with corn, zuchinni, and green onion from the garden.

Dinner is a still to be determined deal, but I can make just about anything. I am thinking I might do well with a good giant salad since there is so much lettuce and other veggies here. I did a little weeding in the garden last night. I even planted some more radishes for a second crop.... I think I need to spend a little more time today seeing what else needs to be harvested.

I have a couple of phone calls to make this afternoon. I have a credit balance on my natural gas bill from Anchorage and I need to make sure they send that to me.

I got my final paycheck today and have a bunch of $$ going right back out this week. I am not sure what will be leftover for the rest of the month until the bills all go thru. I had a lot left from last paycheck so that should cover a lot of what when out today....

I got my withdrawals from my HSA set up to reimburse myself monthly for the dental bills I racked up a while ago. That is literally what I am living on for the rest of the year.... (I am not holding my breath over my pension getting here in a timely manner. 8 to 12 weeks is what they tell me it takes before getting the first check. My leftover vacation pay is supposed to come within 8 weeks, and i was told to call if it did not.) By allowing another 6 months of growth in my 40lK before starting withdrawals, I will be able to take just a little more out on a monthly basis. I want to push the withdrawals into next year anyway so that I don't get hit for taxes as hard. The tax free distributions from my HSA will help this year.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
Went downstairs and sorted thru the chest freezer. I found some interesting stuff, including a whole turkey that I know that I did not buy. My son must have got it from somewhere! Anyway, dinner is a few potstickers that were lanquishing in there.

* Other than the turkey, I found enough meat in the freezer to make meals for at least a month or two. More pork than anything else though. I even found one lowly package of hamburger and a whole beef roast that I can put in a crockpot.

I also found some sugar cookie dough. That will be the next thing that I make after my no bake cookies are gone. There are a bunch of pie crusts in there too so I need to get busy with dessert baking I guess... I want to get rid of that stuff so that I can defrost the freezer and start restocking it this fall.

*I guess it is a good thing that I am here without a car this week. I am accomplishing little things that need done. I also am not spending any $$ at all. If I had stayed in Alaska I would be spending on campground fees and gasoline. Evemtually I would have gotten bored enough end up spending on entertainment too.

Tonight, I am catching up on more youtube stuff. I quit watching all my stuff when the melt happened and I could get outside, so I have a couple months of all my channels to watch. There is one that I have not watched for a year and he does at least 2 videos a week, so I might not catch up with him for a while longer. I did find a nice video series that I watched this morning about the ferry to Alaska. They made the trip this spring on one of the boats I will be on, so I could see the cabin and other areas to hang out in the ship. They even showed the cafeteria food and some of the prices, so I know what to expect from there. That was a really helpful little series to watch.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Ran to a couple stores today to use some coupons/deals that were about to expire.

We picked up some markdown produce at the first store. We were most excited about the heirloom organic beets and bags of sweet peppers for $1 each. Also got a bag of carrots which seemed to be a little cheaper than the pre-bagged ones which were REALLY picked over. Then we found a couple stir-fry kits and picked up some Ritz Chips which were on mega sale and had a cash back deal.

Wanted to pick up whole wheat lasagna using a $2/$10 organics coupon last week on senior Thursday on our way to Driggs. It is a much bigger store than ours, but it didn't sell the lasagna we wanted. They've got a couple health food stores there, so apparently it doesn't move in a regular grocery store.

Wanted to make sure our store doesn't discontinue it, since it is the only place left that still sells it, so we bought more today -- the last day of the coupon.

Also picked up some cheap yogurt and a few other items. Had problems with a couple coupons and had to go to the customer service desk, but they were good about it and we didn't have too much hassle.

KmmCo

Trader Group
*Got my apartment deposit check back already! The natural gas company mailed my refund check out yesterday after I called. I also had to call the hotel and get them to remove the $40 charge on my card for my "free" stay. They take the incidentals depost at check in and appearently the desk clerk processed it thru instead of removing it! The lady that I called yesterday got it fixed right away....

* I managed to rescue a little bit of spinach out of the garden and will make a small salad with it for lunch today. Most of it is bolting in the heat, but I got enough for a meal anyway. I will probably make a half sandwich of some sort to go with the small salad.

*Used points to do a "pay yourself" statement credit on one of my cards. ($12.29.) It will cover part of my train pass that I needed to get from and to the airport, which is $10.50 each way. Better than making my family do a two hour drive to drop me off at the airport though.

I decided that the last package of hamburger is going to the condo with me to make enchiladas for Friday dinner. DH can take the leftovers for a day or two next week at work. Not sure what I will cook on Thursday night yet. Lunch will just be sandwiches on Friday because I will cook a big breakfast that day.

Todays plans are kinda vauge as I am just hanging at the house. I have a book that I pulled off the shelf yesterday and plenty of youtube to waych. It is too hot already to be outside anymore today. I got my chores all caught up now other than maybe a load of dishes after I fix lunch and dinner. Better to run the dishwasher at night anyway when it is a bit cooler.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We used a boxed brown rice and black bean mix with some ground turkey for the stuffed peppers last night. There was too much for the peppers, so we hung onto the leftovers.

Later, I made juice so we put the pulp in the Crock Pot with onion, garlic and water overnight to make vegetable broth.

Tonight, the broth, leftover turkey and rice, a can of tomatoes, a can of beans, a can of corn and some extra veggies like peppers and garlic became soup for dinner.

We did go to pick up some fresh fruits and veggies we forgot at the store yesterday. We found some markdown Barilla Vero Gusto Spaghetti sauce, some organic Southwest simmer sauce for 69 cents a pouch, some pricey salsa they were getting rid of for 69 cents a jar and a few other items. They also had some Bison patties on markdown.

Unfortunately, they didn't have the frozen fries and grapes we went in for in the first place.

Did find the asparagus and cherries at the next store along with a few markdown produce items.

Then we went to Big Lots to use a 20 percent off coupon that arrived a few days ago. Picked up some beet powder I've been trying as well as a few odds and ends.

KmmCo

Trader Group
Nothing exciting going on today. I got more spinach out of the garden this morning. I also picked a bunch of peas today.

I had salad for lunch with both lettuce and spinach in it along with whatever struck my fancy from the fridge. I also dug out some pretzels from the freezer to heat up today for an afternoon snack.

I need to go scrounge a little dinner in a bit. I think I might finish off the chicken stuff that was leftover from the lettuce wraps before it gets too old to eat....

*Thunderstorm today actually produced a little rain so no need to water the garden!

I went for 2 walks today and in between I did some stupid odd and end things. I did a small load of laundry, paid some bills, printed up some paperwork that I needed, and made a few phone calls... I realized that I forgot to cancel my dentist appointement for the beginning of August though. I would have been home in plenty of time if it weren't for the ferry fiasco.....:( So far, I have been so busy with chores and personal business that I really have not felt like I am "retired" at all.

I am going to go up to the mountain condo tomorrow for a couple of nights and that is always relaxing.... I got some dumb stuff to do in the morning first though! I am packed already at least, so that is the hard part done.

I have a plan for my 4 days left in Alaska too when I get back there. Hopefully the ferry will be going on time and I don't get another delay.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Beets made it to the farmers market today! Glad to see them finally making it there, even though they are still pretty small. They are SO much cheaper than the grocery store. We've bought them a couple times at full price, but then we were thankful to find a couple bags of organic yellow beets without their tops discounted to $1 per bag last week. Can't count on that all the time, however.

Picked up a couple nice, large, fresh onions, as well. They are supposed to be "sweet" onions, but onions don't tend to be very sweet with all the sulfur in our soil around here. The fresh ones are still a lot tastier than the ones at the grocery store, however.

Aside from that, we bought a large zucchini to make zucchini bread or something.

It is still early in the season, so not a lot of variety.

We did go by the discount grocery this afternoon before the market. Picked up a few odds and ends like single-serve cranberry juice for traveling, some tart cherry juice a couple cans of organic refried beans, wild caught albacore tuna and a couple boxes of Kind Bars I couldn't resist at 89 cents each.

Spent the evening moving the large herb plants around to the front from the backyard. We planted them in very large pots and some with saucers attached and then left them in the shade -- on garden soil rather than cement when we were gone last week. We knew the weather was going to be REALLY hot and we hoped they would survive that way -- with a REALLY good watering before we left. They never would have made it in smaller pots, direct sunlight, or on the pavement, but my plan worked perfectly and now I've got some beautiful herbs about ready for harvest outside our front door.

Need to make a batch of pesto soon, as the cinnamon and Thai basil is flowering. Actually, some sort of Asian fusion soup sounds really tasty, but the heat ... :oops:

My perilla is doing better than ever before, so we'll have to make some wraps with it before long and my Vietnamese coriander was looking quite good. I buried some of the stems so they will root and make a more robust plant.

My lemon basil and bee balm died out the past few years when we had deaths in the family and the garden got neglected, so I've got nice plants of both started. Still need to get spots in the garden cleared so we can transplant them.

The rosemary doesn't make it through our winters and I've never gotten it to survive in the house, but I did buy a general oregano plant to get it going again and I may try transplanting the Greek oregano toward autumn, as well. Greek or Italian oregano generally doesn't overwinter with our severe temperatures, but things have been mild the past several years, so who knows?

Gardencook

Trader Group
Moved a little more than $40 in cash back rebates to my loyalty card before heading to the store today. Got a little behind on cashing out when we took our trip last week. It was nice to have such a big chunk come off our grocery total today, however, it was quickly eaten up since we needed some pricier items including a bag of potting soil that, of course, has gone up in price like everything else "due to Covid."

The first store went well. They had the items we wanted in stock and we got some nice markdowns, as well. The store had multi-packs of non-lotion Kleenex in stock for the first time I've seen them since Covid hit. Things have been pretty frustrating, because in the past the larger store never had anything but Kleenex with lotion and the smaller store had the Kleenex we wanted, but didn't stock a lot of things on mega-sale.

Since I grab a tissue without thinking to clean glasses, I learned the hard way LONG ago that I don't want those with lotion. The one motel where we stayed had them on our trip last week and BOTH of us made the same mistake of messing up our glasses so badly we had to use hot water and soap to clean them.

I don't know how many good coupons have expired the past year when we couldn't get them at our main store. I was thrilled to finally see them in stock today, but then there was a woman blocking them while she "stocked up" on single boxes of house brand tissues. I have NO idea whether she was buying for some sort of a group/work supply or simply hoarding, but she seemed terrified I might get some and started throwing them in her cart twice as fast while I waited. I finally just had to say "excuse me" and reach over her cart to retrieve the one multi-pack we wanted, before she wore herself out trying to "beat" us to an item we weren't even planning to buy.

That store has had a limit of two on paper and cleaning products until recently. I think it is still in place on cleaning products, but they must have lifted the limits on paper. :rolleyes:

When we were at Big Lots the other day a man was buying a cart FULL of large jugs of hand soap. I thought perhaps he had the same 20 percent off coupon we did and was stocking up, but I never saw him present a coupon so explained it away as a businessman stocking a work room. Now I'm wondering if people are simply scared again and beginning to panic buy.

The store had a couple markdown Gyro kits -- something we haven't seen in AGES. We also got some nice bags of tomatoes, lemons, limes, apples and a bag with two Asian eggplant -- all for one dollar each. Then someone in the bakery had done a much better than usual markdown on cookies, so we picked up some of them, as well.

They also had some good bonus fuel points deals on gift cards, so we couldn't resist picking up three that we use frequently.

The next store is usually the friendliest, but the past couple months things seem to be falling apart there -- especially in the produce department -- a REAL problem since that has been my FAVORITE produce department in the city, even though it was small.

A few weeks back they didn't have any sale tags up for the peaches that were less than one dollar a pound. Thankfully, a favorite manager happened to be nearby and I asked if the unmarked ones were the sale ones. She checked her hand-held device and it turned out those were organic for three times the price. They only had nectarines in stock so we settled for those, but I got the impression the produce department hoped we'd buy the more expensive ones by mistake.

A couple weeks back there were no sale tags for the blueberries which were on the front page of the ad. I asked a produce employee who has been there for years and he claimed they didn't have any blueberries on sale that week. I told him I had seen them in the ad and wondered if the ones we were standing by were the correct ones. He claimed ignorance, so I had to go to the front check stands and ask for an ad to make sure I wasn't imagining the sale. Thankfully, the ones I'd asked about DID ring in at the sale price, but I came to register ready to challenge the price if we got overcharged.

Today, there were sale tags on the peaches and nectarines, but no bags to put them in. I thought it was simply an empty roll by the peaches, but after I asked DH to find some, I looked across the department and realized ALL the rolls were empty. By then DH had reached an employee who told him they were all out and they were using small bags with handles like you'd get in a jewelry store.

They were quite nice bags and I decided we'd keep them for future use. However, the register was hard to read and it almost looked like we were being overcharged. All the checkers were new ones today and we ended up with a doozy. When I dared to ask what price we were being charged she started arguing and blaming the "overcharge" on me for choosing the wrong peaches, then basically told me to pay it and be quiet since it was "my fault." I hadn't yet determined IF we'd been overcharged, I was simply asking what price the register had charged us.

I tried repeatedly to explain that I was simply asking, but didn't want to buy "premium" peaches, simply the ones that were on the sale tag where I had chosen them. When I finally got a word in edgewise she basically told me to shut up so she could see what she was doing. Then in the process of yanking the nice peach bag out of the sack, broke the handle so that one is now not useable.

I wasn't trying to start a fight. The clerks at that store are normally quite friendly when you are simply asking a question. As we were leaving the store I told DH "Ixnay on that clerk in the future." I said it loud enough that I hoped one of the experienced customer service clerks who knows us might hear, but since I wasn't raising a fuss I don't think she did. The clerk is going to lose the store a lot of business if her attitude doesn't change and we don't want to see the store close like it did in the neighboring city.

When we first got in line, we took the shortest one, however, our line took forever to move and we couldn't figure out what was delaying it. There was a woman whose order seemed to be taking a MUCH longer time than normal, but we didn't overhear any details. At the time, I thought perhaps she was simply "one of those people" who always causes a delay, but in retrospect I'd almost be willing to lay odds on the delay somehow being caused by the clerk instead of the customer. ;)

We did get some whole wheat dinner rolls and a nice bag of red potatoes on markdown there along with our other groceries and the register was charging the correct price on the peaches, but just had an odd way of showing it, so it wasn't a total loss.

Between double fuel points and special promotions we were able to add more than a one dollar per gallon fuel discount that we'll be able to use next month. We still have a 40 cent one to use by the end of this month, so it will get used first.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
Made it back to town and ran out for a few groceries. We needed some basics like eggs, cheese, bananas, sodas, etc. Sams club and Safeway were the stops today. Oh and ice cream treats were on the essentials list too.

I bought a new pair of shoes at the outlet mall near my mountain condo. They are super comfy "treking shoes" from Columbia sportswear.k ($75) I usually don't spend so much on shoes, but I needed them as my shoes are all falling apart. These will be great for all the walking that I plan on doing in the future.

Yesterday, I really didn't have much energy so by the time we went to the farmers market and the shoe store I didn't want to do much else. I started a jigsaw puzzles but gave up after a couple of hours then watched an hour of TV and that was about all my entertainment for the day. After dinner, Dh talked me into a walk around the ski village just to see what was still open. The pizza place was open but one of the popular bar/restaurants was goone for good. A T-shirt shop that I liked was having a going out of business sale, so I guess they won't be around for ski season....

*I made breakfast and lunch and DH cooked dinner both nights. No eating out for us this weekend at all.

*We had sandwiches for lunch today. Dinner is going to be some enchilada casserole with that last lb of hamburger that was in the freezer....

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
This has been a crazy week for sure. My MIL is visiting from Arizona and on Tuesday she fell getting out of bed and one of the twins called me and called 911. I raced home from work and followed the ambulance to the hospital. All tests were clear and she was sent home with me 4 hours later.
However, on Thursday she was not doing great and I made the decision to take her to a better hospital 1 1/2 hours away. She was unsteady on her feet and had not been eating as much as she normally did. They ended up admitting her and are running a number of tests. Her sugar numbers were very low and then later high. Her BP was high and they found evidence of an older brain injury from a prior fall. Not sure what this all means and I stayed with her all night Thursday and most of Friday. I missed 2 days of work this week, something I have never done in my 18 years with the bank. Glad I was there for my Mil and I was keeping her sons informed since one is in Arizona and Crankie was at work in the city.
I had to cancel her flight home last week and she has a credit for a year. I booked a direct flight on another airline for this week not knowing she would be hospitalized so I was glad I took the insurance and will have to change her flight again.
Just hope they get everything under control since she wants to go home but we need to get all her results before making a decision.

KmmCo

Trader Group
@jastwins I hope you MIL feels better soon..

*Last night I watched a movie called Nomadland. It showed the lady doing some seasonal work including the one I am doing in December. The movie was not all that great, but it did have some words of wisdom from Bob Wells of cheaprv living. I have watched him on youtube a lot.... I respect that he is trying to help people with living frugally when they have limited means.....

This morning I got a little yard work and gardening done. Picked a nice zuchinni, did some more weeding, and planted a few more radishes. The rasdishes I planted last week sprouted alreadly.... I got one radish out of the garden today that started to split. I will check it before putting it on my lunch salad to make sure it is not too "hot" to eat. I am loving all the "free" produce and am glad that my son did some work to plant the garden. We have the lawn sprinkler set to water the garden area, so that is an easy thing to turn that one for a couple of hours and just let it do it's thing.

*Even though I thought I prepayed enough on the water bill to have it covered for July, I got a bill for $20. I guess I did not calculate in enough for the gardening. Next month will be even higher with me being home for a couple weeks taking showers.

My son did a lot of his laundry on Friday, but there was half a load of t-shirts sitting on the floor next to the washer. I went ahead and threw them in with my clothes. DH washed and dried towels last night, but I need to get them folded and put in the linen closet. I also gathered up a bunch of dishes from downstairs and started to reload the dishwasher. This "retirement thing" seem to be a lot of work to me .....

*I got the rest of my receipts into my everydollar budget. I am out of grocery $$, spent $75 for shoes that was not budgeted, and wil probably go over on gasoline once I get to Alaska and do those 4 days of sightseeing. I worked on August budget, but I think I am underestimating gasoline a lot. I still have the 1000+ miles to travel back from Washington state to Colorado after I get off the ferry.

Still waiting for the natural gas refund to come in the mail too.....

*I am gonna check Ibotta soon. I might have enough to get a Walmart gift card that I can use for groceries the rest of this month. I don't need anything here, but will have to get some bread and maybe a few fresh items along the way for my big trip back to Colorado with my van. I have plenty of canned goods that I can use while camping like soup, chili, tuna, canned chicken, etc. I have some 3 once bottles that I can put a few condiments in to take back with me. I am only doing carry-on luggage and can not take any big bottles of liquidy stuff. I bought so many banasas at Sam's Club that I think I will make a batch of banana muffins to take with me (for some breakfast/snacks in the van and ferry ride).

KmmCo

Trader Group
*SCORE: I got a $25 walmart gift card from Ibotta! That works for me.....

I am gonna go change out of my dirty yard pants and find some random stuff for lunch. Salad and maybe some leftover enchilada casserole? I don't know for sure....

jastwins

Trader Group
Thank you, @KmmCo and the good news is that my MIL was released from the hospital today. We were there visiting this afternoon and after we left and had traveled back to my other house, MIL called and said she was able to go home. Crankie and I packed up the car and truck with our purchases from Sam's club on Saturday and returned to the hospital. The kids were as thrilled as we were that she is back home. She was cleared to fly home on Tuesday and I added wheelchair assistance so she does not have to walk too much. I also had her pay extra to check her bag so she does not have to worry about putting it in the overhead compartment. MIL was hospitalized due to erratic sugar levels and high blood pressure. A stroke was ruled out and she needs to be very careful of her diet and sugar and salt intake.
Crankie will stay home with her while I go back to work. He also needs to get her medication that was changed by the hospital doctors.
I am exhausted from this whole ordeal and slept 13 hours from Friday night until Saturday. On Tuesday, I will take 1/2 day off and run up to the school for a quick job interview for my permanent sub position. Then, I head home where D3 will take a ride to the airport with me and MIL . I need to make sure they give her the special accommodations I requested.

KmmCo

Trader Group
*Picked another good sized zuchinni today. Zuchinni bread went in the oven promptly and got taset tested too....

*Lunch was just leftovers thrown in the microwave. Pork and some pasta roni that we made on Friday evening. I ended up having the enchilada casserole yesterday for both lunch and dinner.

*I signed up for a house/petsitting service as a local provider and will see if I can make a few $$ from that in the future. I might get around to signing up for Rover.com sometime too.... I also want to sign up for Trustedhousesitters for traveling purposes, but it cost $$$ for a memership so that will have to wait till later.

* I found a home exchange place that specifically caters to vacation homes and am going to look into signing up for that. I bet someone with a beach condo would love to go to the mountains and ski!! A good way to use an asset that I own to cut my travelling costs....

*I took two walks today. I found a dumpster that had a bunch of kid's clothes and stuff in it. I recued a nascar blanket that I wanted for myself.... I kind of makes me mad though that people don't donate good stuff like that and just throw it away instead.:mad:

Dinner is just gonna be some enchilada casserole again.

After dinner all I need to do is turn the water on the garden.. That is about all the excitement of my day. No money spent yesterday or today. I will probably not do much the next few days either, though it is tempting to go to the pool at the park down the street. It only cost $2 and it looked really inviting as I walled around the park in the heat today..... I am not digging these 90 degree afternoons at all. Really like the summer temps in AK a lot better.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
We went to a couple stores today to pick up a few items before the sales ended. Overall, it wasn't the most thrilling trip, since we really didn't have much on our list to start with. Got some cheap meat at the first store, which I've already talked about in the July "Free" thread.

The second store was out of the pizza, but we got a rain check -- which I preferred anyway.

Did get some nice produce markdowns including a bag of kale and some hot peppers. We got some nice bags of onions and a bag of shallots on markdown Sunday and had to pass on some beautiful tomatoes since we still had some at home. Dinner hasn't been going according to plan lately, so I hadn't gotten them used.

We did get a loaf of markdown bread, but didn't buy much else. We're mostly trying to use from the freezer since we'll need a new fridge shortly. Today's meat was the exception, since we had a $7/$7 coupon that was going to expire at the end of the month.

I've been worn out today, so didn't accomplish much. We haven't been getting much sleep lately. It was so ridiculously hot we couldn't sleep for a couple nights.

Last night we had a weird incident where a car drove down our street tooting its horn twice every few feet -- at 4 a.m. I was too tired to get up and see what was going on, but there was a flashing police light that came right behind it. I could see that flashing through the closed blinds. The police car wasn't using its siren, so I suppose since the honking seemed to be a "cheerful toot," the car wasn't going very fast and everyone was asleep the officer was trying to settle things as peacefully as possible. I can only assume it was a drunk, but he traveled down another street or two before the tooting stopped.

We no sooner got to sleep than a noisy motorcycle without a decent muffler started racing up and down the streets of the neighborhood. We had that problem for several nights a few months ago, but thought it was behind us. Don't know if last night's incidents were connected, or not.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
Today was uneventful again. I am enjoying that for now though. My son is working full-time so I only saw him for a few minutes this evening before he took off with his girlfriend for the evening. I am glad that he will be around the house on Friday during the day. I have a few projects for him to help me with.....

*I really wanted Taco Bell for lunch, but settled on the last of the enchilada casserole instead, I consider that a win as I would have probably spent $5 to eat out.

Dinner was a bowl of cold cereal because I was too lazy to cook tonight. DH is still not home from work, so I am going to bed and he can wake me up later if he needs anything. Otherwise, he can talk to me tomorrow....

I walked to the thrift store today and only bought a few small items that were easy to carry home. I found a small rubbermaid pitchet that I am putting in my van in exchange for the one that is too big. I got a couple of books and a brand new potholder set. The big score was a brand new package of 5 of those reusable slicone ziplock type containiers. I have wanted to try them but not at regular retail prices...

KmmCo

Trader Group
I guess I didn't come post yesterday. I did some gardening work, went for two walks, and just messed around on things in the house.

*lunch yesterday was a noodle bowl to finish up leftovers. I used the last of the pasta roni, some of the pork, the last of my garden spinach, and a few carrots shreds. I just put it all into a pot to warm and scooped into a bowl to serve. I had some ice cream for dessert.

*Dinner. last night: I made fried rice (with egg). Green onion and peas came from the garden. More carrot and of cours some rice and soy sauce. It came out yummy.....

*I signed up as a provider on a local housesitter service. Don't know how much paid work I will get from that. I want to get some references though to use for Trustedhousesitters so that I can use it for some travel later. Trustedhousesitters is not paid, you just get free accomodation in exvhange for whatever work you do (petsiting, yardwork, etc.).

Dinner today is going to be another chinese type meal of some sort as I still have lots of rice left and tons of veggies. I think I am just gonna make a PBJ for lunch because it is so hot today again.

jastwins

Trader Group
My MIL is safely home in Arizona and I am relieved. She will make the necessary appointments to go to the doctors there and said she is feeling well. At my bank job, I am taking 1/2 hour lunches to make up some time I missed due to 2 days of being at the hospital last week and driving my Mil to the airport 3 hours away.
I probably missed 20 hours of work on this upcoming check.
The good news is that I am getting my school job back for September. I did not take on any extra assignments except for game chaperone and will have to be more careful with my checks when I get paid. No more sub dispatch for me and it was not worth the stipend they paid. It can be someone else’s problem this year. I am also not on the yearbook and while I may miss that, I did not need another headache since the teacher that worked with me is no longer interested in continuing to work on it.
D2 and d1 are both moving to NYC. This has me nervous and D2 needs us to help her move in her apartment next weekend. It will be an adventure since I am not a fan of driving in the city. Crankie will bring his truck and I will drive my Chevy traverse. Wish me luck.
d3 also goes back to college in August. D1 has to move in at the end of the month.

Last edited: