Frugal Living - Challenge 2021 Daily Frugal challenge

Gardencook

Trader Group
Had quite an "exciting" shopping day today.

I had a $10/$40 Big Lots coupon and we wanted to use it on a personal cooler we saw there before we took our trip. However, the store was out. If you don't buy fans in this town when there is still snow on the ground you can't get them, it seems, and stores rarely restock.

We thought we'd buy a tower fan instead, but they had the wrong fan under the demo. The fan we thought was $39.95 according the to the demo sign turned out to be $59.95 when we got to the register so we decided not to buy.

The clerk had already rung up the 75 cent dried apricots I found on markdown, so we only spent 80 cents there.

Checked the store an hour away and it appears to also be out of the fans that interested us.

We went to a thrift store after that, but didn't find anything.

Went to another thrift store after that and did find a nice medium-sized suitcase for $4, but that was it. They had a small, used tower fan, but wanted $20 for it -- and it looked as if its previous owners had given it quite a bit of use. At that price, I didn't even plug it in to try it out. Thrift stores here have gotten really expensive in recent years.

We had B1G1 milkshake coupons about to expire, but even that place was out of the flavor I wanted so I had to substitute.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Filled the gas tank today using a $1.00 per gallon fuel discount. DH needed to mow the lawn so he finally got the gas can lined up with the day he filled the tank for a change. That means the gas for the mower was discounted $1.00 per gallon, as well.

While he filled the tank, I picked up a few items for which we had coupons that needed to be used with sales and did another round of mega sale. This is our last weekend of double fuel points, so we have to make the most of it.

Got a package of Borden American Cheese slices for $1.80 with sale and digital coupon and a bag of Bob's Red Mill Flax Meal for $1.63 after coupon. I got some Bob's Whole Wheat pastry flour for a good price on a markdown table with coupons the other day. Haven't seen deals on Bob's in quite some time.

Picked up five bottles of Suave body wash that should be 19 cents per bottle after store cash back offer. They are 69 cents each on mega sale and the store had a five times 50 cent per bottle cash back offer -- $2.50 total if you bought five.

Also picked up five packs of Rayovac Fusion Batteries with a cash back offer. Not a killer price, but ANY sort of a deal on batteries these days is tough. We were out of AAA batteries the other day and bought a package of Energizer for a higher price after coupon -- about $1.25 per battery. Guess I've just got to get used to the idea that anything less than $1 per alkaline battery is a "good" deal for remotes and other devices.

The store also had a deal on five packs of grass-fed beef hot dogs that I thought would be worth trying. Again, not a steal of a deal, but as good as non-grass-fed hot dogs anyway.

All together our groceries added 170 fuel points to our total and although we laid out some money on higher priced items, we should get back nearly $14 of it IF all goes well. Won't know for sure for a couple days when the cash back offers hit our account.

KmmCo

Trader Group
Back home from my trip and it was great. Denali park was a bust as it was snowing on Sunday. Glad they did not have those bus tickets after all! I went on to the hotsprings outside of Fairbanks. Had a good soak on Sunday and on Monday morning too... I left Monday afternoon and took the drive east and south. Found a really pretty lake campground to stay at that night. I went ahead and drove all the way into Valdez on Tuesday and slept at the free harbor parking. It was overcast on Wed and Thursday. By Thursday night it was really raining hard and continued on Friday. I still had fun going out sightseeing.

My takeaways from this trip - lots of natural beauty and some great people in Alaska. However some of the small towns are kinda bleck. I did really like Valdez though and probably could have stayed a lot longer there. The hotsprings resort was really nice too. It would be fun to go back and stay in one of the cabins or yurts there.

I mostly ate sandwiches, but did grill burgers one night at the KOA. I heated soup up for a lunch a couple of times too.

*My big score: a coupon/voucher from the visitor center in Valdez for $50. I could use it on activities, lodging, or food. I decided to get some Chinese to go on Friday for lunch. For $50 I got 2 lunch entrees and an additional container of lo mein. I ate the soup and an eggroll for lunch Friday. I reheated half of one entree and another eggroll for dinner Friday night when I got home. The rest of the food is packaged up for work lunches this next week. Pretty good score for the cost of giving my email address to the visitors bureau...... (and a tip of course to the restaurant staff)

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
*lunch today: BBQ bacon cheeseburger and coleslaw.

Dinner is still to be determined.

I am done with all my chores except for ironing work shirts. I should probably reload the dish washer

I figured up my vacation expenses. I spent $448 out of a planned $600 budget. That included about $65 worth of gift items for myself and others. Not too bad.for a fun week. Most expensive part was just the gasoline. I paid $3.67 a gallon at a couple of the stops! Valdez of all places was that price, along with glenallen and delta junction...... No competition as all only had Tesero stations to fill up at....

Gardencook

Trader Group
We've done pretty well on fuel points this month. Filled up with a $1.00 per gallon discount before we left on our trip, used a lower value one while traveling and another $1.00 per gallon discount when we got back home. Still managed to get enough fuel points built up for another $1.00 per gallon fuel discount we'll use next month.

Thought we were going to finish out the month with only 90 cents and then this morning I remembered we could use another Big Lots gift card and we got 4x points for the holiday weekend. We stopped, picked up a $25 card and that got us to $1.00. It isn't a huge deal, but I look on it as kind of earning fuel points on our Big Lots purchases as well as our regular groceries. Why spend cash at Big Lots when we can spend cash on a gift card for fuel points and then use that to shop? ;)

Speaking of Big Lots, I had a COMPLETE case of brain fog when we shopped there Friday. Other than feeling like an idiot I don't know what happened. :eek: Thankfully, we had a GOOD clerk who didn't get angry.

We had a $10/$40 bonus coupon that was going to expire today. Actually, we had two, but opted to let one expire. We wanted to pick up either a fan or personal cooler we'd seen earlier, but they were gone. However, DH found a canvas tool bag he wanted for the car -- $12, then a clerk was setting up a display of small vacs -- but she hadn't gotten to putting up the prices yet. After wandering all the way around the display to find tags, she offered to check the ones that interested us. It turned out they were on sale for 50 percent off and they only had one in stock of the one that interested us most. It was a small Dirt Devil mini-vac that could be used with handle to go into tight spaces or a small hand vac detached from the handle to clean up spills on things like furniture or counters. She said it would be $22.49 after discount.

Somehow I added $22 for the vac and $12 for the tool bag and thought it equaled $44 instead of $34. Great news that we got more for our money, but rather embarrassing at the register. The clerk gave us a partial receipt to show what we needed to get to the $40 threshold. DH decided that we could use another hose sprayer so we returned with that and the coupon still wouldn't work. It was ONLY then that it dawned on me that the total on the partial receipt must include sales tax and I hadn't counted that into the equation. Spices were nearby so, even more embarrassed, I grabbed a jar of garlic powder and THEN the coupon worked. Just wish I could have thought straight before feeling like a total fool, but as the mother from one of my favorite children's books "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" said, "Somedays are like that ..." :D

On other fronts, our regular grocery store has been offering some decent cash back offers so I'm FINALLY venturing into that world. The reason I like that program over something like ibotta is that I can do it on my computer instead of DH's phone/app and I don't even have to copy receipts and submit them. The store knows what I buy, so after I load the offer, the store automatically moves it into a cash account and after a couple days waiting I can cash out and use it on our regular grocery purchases -- the amount will automatically come off our next grocery purchase. I've been holding back on cashing out, because I wanted to make it to the next fuel level and didn't know if that would affect it, but plan to try cashing out soon to see how it goes.

Today we headed across town to get two more boxes of InnovAsian meals before the month-long coupon expired tonight. We actually wanted to go to the store yesterday, but when I got into our account to print the list they had some sort of a weird computer glitch.

You remember the nightmare disorganized list of Monopoly coupons I was complaining about a couple weeks back? By cashing in most of our frees (I STILL can't get our last set of free nail clippers) and using a lot of the cents off coupons I had loaded that worked with weekly sale items -- I had FINALLY whittled the list down to something a little more manageable. However, yesterday the computer had added back EVERY SINGLE ONE of those coupons even though I knew they were no longer valid and wouldn't work at the register. Instead of a three-page list of both Monopoly and weekly offers, my list was back up to EIGHT pages again! There was NO WAY we could do a decent shopping trip from that.

I could only hope they'd get it straightened out by today, but I held out little hope when it was a holiday. However, I woke up this morning, checked my list and it was back to "normal" again! YIPPEE!

We had some other offers that were worth getting while we were there and it is a triple points week at that store as well as double points on meat (both coupons sometimes work) so we added another reward to our total by the time today's purchases were added.

When we got home, I went to our account and redeemed the five rewards from last month that were expiring today. I used them for another $7/$7 meat coupon and another $2/$2 bakery coupon. Those seem to work pretty well for us. Still have several rewards that we earned this month and those will get carried over to next month, in case we decide not to do too much shopping.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
* going to work for OT on both Thurs and Sat this week. Not sure how long they will keep me on either day. I am scheduled for 7.0 and 8.0 hours respectively but they have been letting people go home early if not needed, so we will see how it goes.....

*I changed my work shift this week and have been having a little more time in the evenings to get stuff done. I have been doing stuff like dishes, laundry, and cooking after work. I made a really good cinnamon cake that has been breakfast for most of the week.

* I also stopped and got milk at the store last night. That was the only groceries that I needed this week.

I worked on my budgeting things too. I have a tenative July budget that will reflect my post retirement spending and will see how it goes. I paid my last chunk of rent and will get 4 paychecks that do not have rent coming out of it. I am doing a little prepayment on some bills like the water and cellphone and just stacking some cash in savings too.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Had monthly 10 percent senior discounts at two stores this week and did pretty well at both of them.

I already mentioned the $7 worth of free meat, free nail clipper (finally!) and cheap ice cream sandwiches on the June Free thread.

A day or two ago the store we shopped today sent a digital coupon for $2/$10 of store brand organic products. I knew I'd be able to find something, but it did take a little while. Finally remembered that store is the ONLY one in town that still sells whole wheat lasagna, and it is organic. The pasta retails for $3.29, was on sale this week for $2.79 and when we bought four boxes the $2 coupon came off. Then we got the extra 10 percent discount after that making them slightly more than two dollars a box.

On the way to the register I noticed boxes with two each, Sweet Earth vegetarian teriyaki burgers. They were priced at $4.49, but two of the boxes had $2/1 peelie coupons. That made them $2.49 after coupon and $2.24 after 10 percent discount, so we made an impulse purchase.

Other notable finds after digital coupon and discount included: Shredded cheese -- $1.52, Cottage cheese -- 90 cents. Yoplait yogurt -- 35 cents each, five-pound bags of russet potatoes -- 77 cents, a large bag of potato chips -- 90 cents and a can of Chock Full O' Nuts coffee -- $4.49. Then all of that got us close enough to $40 after coupons and discounts that we picked up two 12-packs of double roll toilet tissue for about $4 each. (Our regular store only has a very limited selection and no decent prices these days, so it has lost most of our tissue purchases for the past year.)

We got double points on what little we spent on meat and produce and two rewards for reaching $40. That leaves us with nearly three rewards even though we are only three days into the month and six left over from last month!

Our purchases at our regular store were just general items we purchase on a regular basis stacking best customer coupons with the 10 percent discount when possible. Inflation is kicking in on some items, so we opted not to buy the "Wheat Thins" copy crackers we've enjoyed in the past. They raised the price and even after coupon we could get real Wheat Thins for a lower price by watching sales. We got such a good deal on Ritz Toasted Chips the past couple weeks, that we certainly won't miss them.

We did do one more round of mega sale that day, because I got another Lubriderm printable and it was on the sale. Unfortunately, they never got the Zest soap back in stock as I had hoped, so we ended up buying the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ and dipping sauces as fillers. They were a few cents higher than the store across town, but it didn't have the Hawaiian one I wanted to try. Since we'd gotten an extra insert we tried the mustard BBQ for the cheaper price at the other store and got Hawaiian on the mega sale. Tried the mustard sauce on chicken the night we bought it and it was really good for a change.

Garden center items are also discounted on senior day, so I held off purchasing until Tuesday to get that discount. We aren't growing much this year and just got three herb plants and some squash to get a headstart.

I had a bit of trouble finding one of the upper managers on the floor that day and I knew the newer employees wouldn't be able to help. The website listed large 50-ounce bottles of house brand extra virgin olive oil (retail $9.79) on sale for $3.99, however, the shelf price didn't reflect that even though we could have gotten them for that price with an online order. It didn't appear to be a clearance price, because clearance prices generally don't end in the number "nine" and it wasn't just our store that listed that price, the other stores in the state did, as well.

As we were leaving the store we finally caught sight of the store manager, showed him a screen shot I'd taken and asked if he knew whether that was the actual price, if they were about to go on clearance, if it was a computer glitch or what was happening. He said they had been clearing out some olive oil, but that wasn't a clearance price and if the web site gave that price they would honor it. So we got 50-ounce bottles for $3.59 after the 10 percent discount came off. Won't see a price like that in the future, I'm sure.

DH was pretty impressed with our purchases that day, because he was getting rather nervous wondering if he had enough in his wallet. None of the sale or digital coupons come off at that store until the very end and then the 10 percent discount comes off after all the other discounts. The store had some really good cash back offers which I'd cashed out for nearly $36 added to our loyalty card and even though I'd mentioned it to DH, I don't think he fully comprehended that would come off our grocery total that day, as well.

He looked up and saw our total WAY past $100 and I could tell he wondered what I was thinking! ;) However, at the end the clerk (one of our favorites) hit the button and even he was shocked at how many numbers started coming off our total. In the end the total came down to less than $40 for a large cart full of groceries which is more what DH is used to me spending.

We also did a separate transaction that day, because we had some 200 bonus point offers on gift cards. I like to do those separately, so it is easier to explain at the customer service desk if there is a problem. We bought two $15 gift cards which added 460 fuel points to our total. Then when we came home I did a receipt survey for another 50 fuel points.

It was only the first day of the month when we shopped there, but we managed to make it up to a 60 cent per gallon fuel reward which won't expire until the end of July.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
* worked the whole 7 hours of OT today. More $$$ in the bank for sure now. There is a holiday on this next check too.

I am going to eat something leftover from the fridge for dinner. I have a little bit of Chinese or a bratwurst to choose from. Tomorrow I will figure out what to make fresh for the weekend.

I am running a load of laundry right now and am gonna just chill for the rest of the evening.

I forgot to mention that I changed to day shift so I get home earlier and can cook dinner at home. I don't feel like I need to cook so much ahead since I can fix something at night now and have it for lunch the next day.

I am going to make a pumpkin bread tomorrow though for a breakfast/work snack option. I need to use up my baking supplies anyway, so I might make some cookies too.

I spent big $$ on gasoline on the way home. I had a little over half a tank when I got home from vacation and then I went to work for 5 days. It was $3.19 now at Costco - seems cheap though compared to the $3.67 fill ups that I did on vacation. I also ran by the bank and picked up laundry quarters since I was already out of the house.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
Wasted some more gas today on a sightseeing jaunt. I went to a place called Big Lake -and yes - there was a big lake there. Alaskan's are not too creative in naming things! Anyway, I saw lots of nice lake houses. I got out for a little walk in a park and saw some kids splashing in a cold creek and some other kids trying to fish. There were big fish in the water, but they were not biting at all. They whole outing was probably about 3 hours, but it got me out of the house for a bit on a nice day.

Lunch was leftovers. For dinner, I made a bacon sandwich.

Got to go to bed early as I am working an early shift tomorrow 6am to 230 pm. I will try not to stay up too late watching TV. Last night I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up at around 1130pm before crawling into bed.

KmmCo

Trader Group
*Got some stuff listed on facebook marketplace this afternoon. House looks like a disaster at the moment. Hope I can sell the stuff that is piling up in the corner rather quickly.....

My OT day today only ended up being 6 hours instead of 8. I still got 13 hours extra in this week at time and a half.

*i am doing ranch on my chicken tonight. I am making rissotto and some mixed veggies to go with it. Tomorrow I will have a chicken bacon ranch sandwich for lunch. The leftover rissotto can go with something that I make tomorrow for dinner.

KmmCo

Trader Group
Sold a $10 item on Facebook market and had lots of inquiries for other stuff. Got a couple more things listed tonight....

* I ended up just doing the chicken and rissotto 2x for lunch. Tonight I made a cheese quesadilla for dinner. I pulled a frozen leftover container out for my work lunch tomorrow.

*Tomorrow night I need to whip up a batch of no bake cookies because we are having a potluck Wedensday at work. At least I don't need to take lunch on Wed because there was plenty of meat dishes on the signup sheet. Some of them involved wild game though so that will be interesting.....

KmmCo

Trader Group
*Made another $30 from facebook market and more importantly got rid of more stuff..... This evening, someone is coming to look at the bed. That is the big thing to get rid of as I can not donate it to Goodwill.

I took cookies, brownies, and some slices of pumpkin bread for the potluck. There were a ton of other sweets there. I ended up brining home a big slice of cake to eat today. The evening supervisor had pizza delivered right before I left, so I had a slice and that was dinner for last night. One of the gals brought moose meat "shepard's pie" so now I can say that I have eaten moose. It was really pretty good.

This morning, I am just trying to recover from my sugar hangover.... I have not gotten very far other than a shower and sitting at this computer. I am on vacation for 10 days though and will have time to get a lot done. I plan to finish up listing the stuff that I want to get rid of and trying to get it sold this weekend. I am going to try and get one more camping trip in during the middle of the week. I also need to do stuff like contact the utilities to get them switched to the landlord on moving day.

I have a points hotel reserved on moving day. I might get another reservation for the night before the ferry. In between, I will do another camping trip in the middle of that time....

Gardencook

Trader Group
Picked up a few veggies today since we were running low, but waited till a day we got double fuel points. The one store always has such nice produce and a little more reasonable prices than its larger sister store. Paid more than I wanted for beets which were HUGE and we needed celery for which we had a digital coupon, but they had some really nice organic carrots with tops on for $1.29 a bunch. Couldn't resist those.

We hit quite a markdown bonanza while we were there and had a hard time fitting everything in the small cart I'd taken, because I didn't think we'd buy much.

We got four nice loaves of bakery multi-grain bread for 99 cents each, three Marionberry pies for $1.99 each and bags of Godiva semi-sweet chocolate chips were marked down to 89 cents each. They also had some small bags of sliced almonds for 55 cents each and quite a number of granola bars and Epic Bars.

I passed on the Epic Bars even though they were only 39 cents each. They were chicken sriracha -- too much salt for me and DH doesn't like spicy and rarely eats jerky. I also passed on the Lara and Kind Bars -- even though they were a decent (but not great) price. We did get a bunch of boxes of store brand organic chocolate/peanut butter ones I'll probably snack on those since DH isn't a big chocolate fan. At $1.15 a box they were hard to resist. We also picked up some boxes of CLIF mini crunchy peanut butter bars for $1.69 each. Grain products have been rising rapidly and it is tough to get anything cheaper when it comes to granola bars these days.

Of course, the money we saved was offset by the amount we paid to get my computer out of hock. It does seem like the technicians FINALLY figured out what was causing it to shut down all the time -- at least temporarily -- just wish someone had figured it out four years and two computers ago. Unfortunately, now neither of our computers will connect with the printer. When it isn't one thing it is another ...

The straps on my purse are about to break, but I've hated to break down and use my last unused purse in that style when I may need it later. It was a style I used to buy from Sears, but they got rid of it online shortly before pulling out around here. I was able to get a couple more when our stores sold out, but have wished I could find more.

We dropped by Goodwill, which is only a short distance from the computer repair shop. I was admiring the straps on a purse and was just mentioning that to DH when I noticed the brand name on the purse. It was the same brand as the one I've been telling myself I had to let go of. Got it for a little more than $5 after senior discount.

It is smaller than the ones I loved, but still better than anything else I can find locally. Also picked up a smaller bag that still has the manufacturer tags. It is a cross body one that will be handy when we travel and want to walk some paved trails.

From there we went to another thrift store where we found two nearly new small-to-medium size rolling suitcases. Several of our suitcases are really too big and we'd prefer to take a couple smaller ones than a great big one at times. Besides that a couple of our large ones are falling apart and we don't need those problems on the road. The medium size one was only $5 and the smaller one was $4.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
I used my $10 restaurant credit for June. Got a q'doba burrito and it was lunch and dinner both.

Sold the bed yesterday. I still have the futon and I went ahead an put the air mattress in the bedroom last night. I also got the end table and a bookshelf sold. I have one more person coming to buy a kitchen Item this afternoon. The futon, bar stools,TV and TV stand are really all the big stuff that is left to go.

I am going to drop a bag of misc crafting stuff at goodwill today - I had things like leftover ribbon, a partial bag of stuffing, etc that I am not transporting home. I already gave some yarn that I had to a coworker. I packed up all the painting stuff in a shoebox sized plastic box yesterday and that will go home with me. I might do a quick clothing cleanout too before heading over to Goodwill.

I need to go get soda at Fred Meyers too. I should probably pick up some hot dog buns and eat more of my sausages and brats this next week.

That is about it for today. I am doing stuff here in town all weekend and I think I might go camping on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday nights on the Kenai peninsula. That way I don't have to fight the local weekend crowds.

Gardencook

Trader Group
DH had an eye appointment today so I went along to drive in case they dilated his eyes again. It turned out to be a really quick test of his peripheral vision so he was out pretty quickly.

We drove to the store that had the great markdowns yesterday and they had some good ones again today. Picked up an angel food cake for 99 cents, a package of figs on markdown for $1.99, more granola bars they were clearing out for quite good prices and three large bottles of Vitamin C which they also seemed to be getting rid of. We used to get Vitamin C there frequently and then they got rid of the larger jars. The small ones are WAY too expensive for what you get, so we haven't bought any since.

Today they were getting rid of some jars that weren't as large as the last ones, but were bigger than the ones I'd seen. Perhaps the warehouse sent these and the store didn't want to mess with them -- a frequent happening at that store. Anyway, we're stocked on Vitamin C again -- at a 75 percent discount. :D

Then I wheeled around to the produce department and found a great variety of fruit on markdown. They had some peaches yesterday, but they were pretty sad looking. The two bags I got today were in great shape -- along with the cantaloupe, pineapple, papaya, grapefruit and apples I got. I see fruit salad in our weekend! All of those were 99 cents a bag then we also added some discount bananas.

I was hoping to get lasagna made tonight, so we'd have leftovers to eat over the weekend, but I was concerned about the timing. It is too hot right now, we've got some yard work that MUST be done and DH is still determined to try and get the wifi on the printer going on my computer so at least ONE computer will print. He FINALLY managed to get the USB to work on the printer this morning, but the Bluetooth printer that was working fine on Monday isn't working since I got the computer back.

I wasn't planning to buy any meat, but as I wheeled by the discount bin I noticed a roast on markdown for $2.38 a pound. Beef for that price is a find these days and it sounded like an easy solution to weekend meals so I picked it up and decided to wait on the lasagna. That way we won't be under quite as much pressure getting dinner done tonight. We'll pull burgers from the freezer, put the roast in the Crock Pot tomorrow and we'll still have leftovers for the weekend.

Since we finally got our Carl's Jr. coupon to print, we had B1G1 chicken sandwiches for lunch before heading to the second store on our list. We needed to do a round of mega sale there and they also had skin products buy one, get one 50 percent off. I had a printable coupon -- one for $2.50/1 and another for $1.50/1, so we got two bottles of astringent for about $4 total after sale and coupons.

They also had a few markdown deals including a can of organic mango slices in mango juice for 99 cents. Couldn't pass on that deal, even though I also had a couple fresh mangos in the cart which were on markdown for $1.00 total. They also had a bag of three large lemons for that price.

Since it was a double fuel points day, between the two stores we added about 20 cents a gallon to our fuel rewards we'll use next month.

KmmCo

Trader Group
I picked up a markdown salad bag along with my soda and hot dog buns at the store. I had a nice salad for lunch and will use the rest of the lettuce with the taco meat I am making at some point this weekend. I spotted one more leftover in the fridge that I had to get rid of yesterday, so that was dinner.

My only other errand I got done yesterday was gasoline at Costco. It actually came back down .20/gal after Memorial weekend is over. It was $2.99 yesterday.

I went for a walk at Potters Marsh in the morning and went to the zoo for a couple of hours after lunch. Both were free things.

*I sold one small item for $3 yesterday and have a meet up with someone for an $8 item today.

There is some sort of festival in Palmer this weekend that I might go to. It is called Colony Days and is supposed to have live music, kids activities, vendors, etc.....

KmmCo

Trader Group
I had a nice time at the festival. I bought a giant pretzel ($5) and ate cake when i came home. I ended up pretty much skipping dinner after that.

I found a really nice thrift store in Palmer too. All I bought was a book to read on the ferry. I am supposed to be getting rid of stuff! I did deliver a big bag of clothes to Goodwill in the morning yesterday. I have a couple of books in the next donation sack to get rid of.

I did sell a $10 item this morning. I checked my "stash jar" and I have $270 in it. I started with $400 when I came here to buy stuff so I think I am doing okay. That money will cover at least 10 days of camping fees for my trip home. I am waiting to hear back from 2 other people about other items....

I am not leaving for camping until tomorrow afternoon. I still need to call utilities in the morning on Monday. Today I am just going to be a little lazy. I did go to Joann's just to look around. It is a super nice store here, but fabric has sure gotten expensive and the pattern prices were a shock. I have not bought any of that stuff new for a long time. (I do look at the patterns at the used stores once in a while, but I have so many at home already from working at the fabric store years ago.)

At this point, I might be rushing home a little quicker than I thought. DH went to hospital because his gall bladder drain was blocked (with a stone as it turned out.) They fixed it Thursday and then decided that it was an emergency to get the gall bladder out completely, He had the surgery yesterday and is going to be released today from the hospital. The thing is that he is now on a 15 lb lifting restriction and was told to stay off work for two weeks again. I guess I will have to see how his recovery is going in a couple of weeks.....

*lunch: a smoked sausage on a bun and cole slaw. Dinner will be more of the sloppy joe....

Gardencook

Trader Group
Making use of the tops from the carrots I bought Thursday in my iced green tea all weekend. I love the flavor of fresh carrots with the tops over the ones in plastic which often have an old/mildew flavor. Since I can't stand wasting those beautiful tops, I generally steep them in my tea. Carrot tops actually taste a lot like parsley -- just stronger and a little more bitter. They don't overpower the tea and give it a nice fresh flavor you don't get from tea bags alone.

It was the last day of double fuel points for the weekend, so we picked up a few more things -- including some great markdowns.

The one store has had tostada shells on mega sale and I had coupons, so we headed there again. While there we found a pound of ground lamb on markdown for $4.99 and a pound of beef chorizo on markdown for $2.99.

They sent me a digital coupon for 50 cents off onion rings and they were on sale, so couldn't pass on those at $1.50 a bag.

Found a few bakery markdowns including wheat dinner rolls for 79 cents, a loaf of multigrain French bread for 79 cents and some cookies I didn't need but bought anyway for 99 cents.

We also got a huge bag stuffed full of Mayan sweet onions on markdown for 99 cents. There has got to be at least eight pounds of onions in there, so that was a great find. Just regret I didn't weigh them on the store scale.

They also had a couple personal watermelons for 99 cents on markdown.

The next store had nice heads of cauliflower and bags of three sweet peppers on markdown for $1.00. I found a brand new, large mini muffin pan at the thrift store the other day and want to try making cauliflower tots using the pan. I've had a small six compartment pan for a while, but I knew it wasn't large enough to make tots and that has discouraged me from trying them.

We also got a markdown pack of corn on the cob for one dollar. I know it will be tough this early in the season, but we'll obviously be having burgers this week considering our other purchases, so thought we'd go ahead.

I finally found the Hawaiian slaw I have a hard time finding and it was on markdown for $1.49.

They had some nice chicken meatballs on markdown for $1.99.

Of course, we also picked up the regular groceries we went in for which included the $2.49 pizzas on the digital deal this week, a package of Feta cheese and some veggie straws for which we had digital coupons and another round of astringent on the buy one, get one half off deal with high value printable coupons.

With the double points deal we added another 13 cents to our fuel rewards for the day.

Came home and cooked up some of the beef chorizo to put on the cheese pizzas we bought -- along with some sweet pepper and green onions which are on sale for $3/$1 this week.

It is a scorcher today, so we're eating early to spend this evening working in the yard. Don't really want dinner at 10 p.m. again tonight.

Last edited:

KmmCo

Trader Group
Waiting for my dishwasher to finish running and for one more person to come by for an item I am selling. I am packed for camping other than the cooler. I might just have early dinner here before leaving. I ate my lunch before noon (leftover sloppy joe and tator tots.

I ran one load of laundry and got a bunch of stuff packed into totes for the "big move" . The utilities are now notified and all I have to to is turn in the cable box when I leave. I also got my renters insurance policy cancelled for July 1. I had to pay for another year because I moved mid-month last year. They will refund the remaining amount back to the credit card they charged. I should only get charged about $10 or $12 for the rest of this month

$3 added to my stash jar for the old breadmaker that I bought used for $6. Was gonna donate it back to the thrift store from whence it came, but decided on a whim to put it on Facebook market instead. I gave the lady a cookbook too that was going to go into the Goodwill bag. 2 things out of the house now....

*my bread supply is going to be biscuits, cornbread, or tortillas because I have these to use up. I can premake a few biscuits or cornbread before leaving the apartment. If I need to do more, I know how to do biscuits on a campfire. I can always buy bread, but I also have crackers to use up too so I really shouldn't need it.

*I am going to make oatmeal raisin cookies when I come back from camping. Those will be my work snacks for next week. That will get rid of most of my brown and white sugar and the last of the raisins. I double checked to make sure I had everything already. I have a new bag of flour that I will have to open for the cookies. I think the rest of the flour will probably go in the food box that I am giving to my coworker. She lives in a multi-generation house and is a caretaker for grandma and sometimes babysits her nieces/nephews. I am sure that nothing will go to waste among her extended family.

I put my microwave cart into the van and it fits perfectly. It gives me two shelves that I am storing camping food and paper products on. The box of cooking stuff and the camp stove are securely bungeed on the top. I placed it on the opposite wall from my little work/eating table and still have my Isle in the center open for standing. I repurposed a small hanging organizer with pockets to be my spice rack and hung it on the side of the cart.... That frees up a lot of space on my shelf that goes in the back of the van. Not sure what I am putting on there yet. I am trying to stuff as much as possible into totes under the bed first before using the shelf. I may need one shelf for the rubbermaid lunch/leftovers containers. I am throwing the cruddy ones away, but I have a few nice one that I bought here which I would like to keep.

Gardencook

Trader Group
I've always had problems finding shoes that fit -- even in childhood. I've got a higher than average arch which means I've got to buy a wide shoe to get my foot in, even though my foot isn't wide. Then I got older and my foot sliding in wide shoes caused all manner of problems. Meanwhile, running shoes got popular and all that extra padding around the ankle made getting into shoes virtually impossible. My high arch throws extra weight on the outside of my foot and after I wear shoes a day or two (and it is too late to return them) the side of my foot gets so painful I can't wear the shoes any longer. DH used to tease me that I've got more shoes than Imelda Marcos -- until it became almost impossible for me to find ANYTHING that fits.

Last week Big 5 had a men's skate shoe on a one day sale that looked like it was worth trying. In the age of unisex shoes, I honestly couldn't see much difference between them and women's shoes. I DESPERATELY need something that has a back on it and ties for hiking/walking rather than just the slip-ons I've been wearing -- and have been discontinued by the manufacturers. My biggest concern is the lack of an arch support in them, but at least the tie up shoe will provide some support.

DH liked my shoes so well he bought himself a pair, as well. Now we have matching shoes. lol!

Today they had virtually the same shoe with a canvas top instead of suede on a one day sale. It was limit three so we bought three pair. Since we have an identical shoe size I figure we don't have much to lose. If after I've worn them a day or two I decide they aren't going to work, I can pass them onto DH and he will wear them out. That is much better than all the women's shoes I've tried through the years which don't end up working and then they just stand there. I hate to get rid of them, because at least I can get my foot into them (unlike other shoes), but I'm in so much pain when I wear them that I cringe at the thought of it.

We'll see how these go. At about $15 a pair today, we didn't have much to lose.

After we dropped the computer off at the repair shop AGAIN and hit Big 5, we hit some grocery stores on the last day of their weekly sales. I've looked at the preview ads for next week and can't say I'm overly impressed. Inflation is definitely kicking in and the usual promotions really aren't there.

The one store sent another coupon for $2/$10 on Organic products again this morning. Since the whole wheat lasagna was still on sale we got another four boxes and that should keep us going for a while. We also found some huge cranberry raisin oatmeal cookies on markdown so picked up those, as well.

The next store had some deli. six-cheese pizzas on markdown for $1.49 each -- 75 percent off. We still have some beef chorizo left from the other day, so I thought we'd doctor them with that as well as peppers and onions like the other day. We really enjoyed those.

We also picked up more tostada shells on the last day of the mega sale. At 67/66 cents a box after sale and coupon I couldn't resist. With a can of refried beans it makes an easy meal.

The final store had some Vitamin C on clearance. Not nearly as good a deal as the sister store the other day, but it has been tough to find a decent price on Vitamin C around here for a couple years now.

That store also had some 50 percent off markdown wonton wrappers and I thought I'd make some fresh "gourmet" ravioli using roasted vegetables.

We had to go to that store anyway since DH had to pick up a prescription for eye drops the eye doctor called about yesterday.

Got ourselves up to another 10 cent fuel level at the two stores and a little closer to another reward at the other store, as well.