Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

I saw at least 18 black bears and one lone grizzly along the road side. Got a really good picture of the grizzly too.... I am sure that I will see plenty more bears here in AK too. I am less afraid of bears that I am of the moose. Moose are mean and won't hesitate to trample you....

Cathy, M_Lexx, Sherri1480 and 3 others like this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We haven't done much bread baking the past couple weeks after we got three loaves of French bread free on the Monopoly game and another loaf for 69 cents after coupon last week.

Today we baked up a couple nice loaves of Cornmeal Molasses Bread -- Anadama Bread.

DH spent the afternoon writing up an article so not much else going on. That will mean more income next month -- which is always better than going somewhere to spend money.

Tomorrow is a discount day at the grocery, so I've been saving energy for that shopping trip. The store hasn't been doing too well at stocking the past week or two, so I don't know how well that will go.

Still haven't gotten to the sister store to get a turkey breast that goes off sale tomorrow. Hope they still have some left, but that is the small store and I suspect they won't be restocking. Not as many people want to bake something large like a turkey breast once the heat is here.

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  3. Gardencook

Wasn't sure I was going to make it to the three stores we needed to hit today. I fought a headache most of the night and morning, but finally got past most of it. We got out early enough that we found some pretty decent discounts.

Did manage to get our frozen turkey breast at the first store -- along with a couple packages of ground turkey marked down to $1.49.

Wished I could have shipped @jastwins a couple London Broils after she had to pay such a high price the other day. They had a package with two nice ones on markdown for $3.49 a pound and the package totaled a little more than $12. However, I didn't have any room in the freezer so had to pass.

That store also had some nice stir-fry and salad kits on markdown as well as a few bananas, a bag of yellow chili peppers and a tub of organic curry potato salad for 49 cents. I'm a big curry fan, but not as fond of that potato salad, however, at that price I'll eat it even though we've still got regular potato salad DH bought by mistake the other day. :p

Next store was where we had to pick up some Monopoly Frees which I listed on the June Free thread. We also got some nice baked goods on markdown including muffins, a few doughnuts and a loaf of whole wheat French Bread.

The final store was the big trip where we got a 10 percent senior discount on store brands today. It was mostly odds and ends -- items for which we had coupons or produce we were out/running low on.

They did have corn on the cob on sale four for $2.00. I had a tough time finding four ears without ear worm damage, but finally managed it. The fellow looking at the same time we were gave up entirely.

Don't know if it was just the field those were grown in, or if that is going to be a plague everywhere this summer. :confused: The corn definitely wasn't "local" this time of year, so hopefully it will improve as the summer progresses.

We also found a markdown on whole wheat English muffins, whole wheat hamburger buns and some whole wheat bread. Only bought one loaf of that since we just made two loaves yesterday. There was one package of organic turkey bacon, as well.

They were getting rid of some mouse poison trays, which we keep in the attic. Thankfully, the two holes we've managed to plug through the years appear to be the only places they could ever get into the house so we never have a mouse problem in our living quarters, but they do manage to find their way into our attic and it is too hard to climb up there to empty traps.

That store was out of the tortillas, cookies and salad we'd planned to purchase and the plain, non-iodized salt has been "temporarily unavailable" since February. :(

We finally got our berries together for fruit salad and crisp. One store had strawberries on sale, another had raspberries and blackberries and the third one had blueberries. Looking forward to quite a treat!

Should have picked up a rain check for cherries, but forgot. The produce guy said they ordered 32 cases but were only sent two. He told the fellow ahead of us to get a rain check, so I guess they are issuing them again.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  4. Gardencook

Well, I'm afraid we just aren't exciting shoppers these days. We did go out today, but not all that much to report.

We stopped at one grocery store -- not because we really needed much other than some fruit on sale in the ad, but it is close to the shoe store so we tried to kill two birds. Last week they didn't have the cherries in the ad. This week they only had one of the three colors of grapes and no peaches, only nectarines.

Did find a few discounts there: Noosa Yogurt, whole wheat pita pockets, a couple pies, organic curry potato salad, bananas and some single serve organic almonds which were marked down to 25 cents each.

The shoe store was a bust. They didn't have the sandals I've ordered from the manufacturer. After I ordered them, I noticed the shoe store website seemed to think they had one pair in stock at our store.

However, this is the store where I tried to find shoes by the same manufacturer several years ago and ended up driving an hour to find them in another color at a different store. At the register I asked the clerk if she could check on stock at our store and it turned out our store had the color I was looking for all along.

After a lot of talking, I FINALLY talked them into holding them until I could drive back home for them. When I arrived at our store I asked where they had been on my previous trip and the clerk told me they only got a few pair so didn't bother to put them out. I asked how a self-service shoe store could sell shoes it didn't set out, but never got an answer.

I tried on additional shoes while I was there, but even though I was trying a size larger I couldn't get them past my high in-step. Still, I'm supposed to be thrilled about ordering everything online. o_O

I planned to ask about the shoes when I couldn't find them today, but a large family was taking up the register by the time we got to the front of the store again so I couldn't get attention from either of the clerks.

Meanwhile, I checked the tracking on my shoes that are en route and it looks like they'll take at least two days longer than the original long delivery date listed. FedEx has had them for about a week now and they've only made it from Pennsylvania to Ohio in that time. At this rate, my sandals might not arrive till autumn -- and I can't buy additional colors until I know if the two different styles fit. :(

I did see another brand of shoes that looked very similar the other day, but after further research I discovered those shoes ship from China. Reviews say that although they originally shipped quickly, they now take forever, the company has been disappointing a lot of customers by shipping the WRONG merchandise and IF you have to return anything you are charged for not only what it cost to ship to you, but also your return shipping. That makes them a "No" in my book. :confused:

We dropped into a thrift store we visited last week. They ran a coupon for 50 percent off used merchandise that was only good today, however, we didn't find anything we needed. The line at the register was very long, so we left without buying anything.

The thrift store that wasn't open last week finally opened on Tuesday so we dropped in there and did find some spatulas similar to the ones DH melted. However, we couldn't find anything else we needed in that store.

I'm not sure how much they'll have in the future since people are only allowed to drop off donations by making an appointment and then donors must sort their own donations in the back somehow since they want entirely contact-less donations.

The store is open reduced days and they have an employee in the foyer disinfecting carts and keeping track of how many customers are in the store using number flip cards.

It still feels like a surrealistic world to me where I feel cut off from everyone when most of us are wearing masks.

Did stop at one final grocery store on the way home. Left it till last since we needed frozen items there. They finally had the salad kits that were out of stock on previous visits. This was the last day of the coupon, so that was a relief.

Had a problem with a digital mouthwash coupon, but otherwise things went smoothly. Just wish the tortillas we've been trying to get for the past week and a half would soon arrive!

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  5. KmmCo

Back in Anchorage and doing a bunch of stuff to get ready for work.... Wed is the final answer on the apartment.... I am in a different extended stay that is called MyPlace. It is pretty nice for what it is - not Hilton for sure but good for the price.
    I cooked spaghetti for dinner tonight and have enough left to do a couple of work meals for this next week.... It got rid of that half jar of sauce that I have been lugging around in the cooler for a while.

Last night I accidently cracked a couple of eggs while cleaning out the cooler, so I had scrambled eggs for dinner. I fancied them up with bell pepper, onion, cheese, and salsa...

Lunch today was a quick quesadilla from stuff that I had - bell pepper, onion, cheese, and a little bit of chicken.

Absolutely not buying any food until I get settled in to my apartment. I do have a little over half a pound of hamburger to use up tomorrow. I did pick up sodas today. $5/12 pack is a lot more that what I am used to paying. Maybe it will get me to drink less... I think 2 liters are a better deal, but I need smaller containers for work lunches.

Denali was beautiful. The first day driving was nice and I camped at a free spot called Denali South View (not usually free, but the fee sign and drop box were covered this year). It rained a bunch the second day so I took one walk in the rain, took an afternoon nap, visited a gift shop right outside the park, then went to bed early. I did not sight see very much. The third day was nicer. I went for a drive north outside of the park in the morning. In the afternoon I went back to the campground and cooked early dinner on my camp stove. After that, I went for a really lovely evening hike. There was a mama and baby moose around the campground and I got a picture from about 6 foot away (from inside my car) on the last day. By the way, I could not get a park pass because the visitor center was closed. Never once saw a park ranger, just a handful of other visitors and a couple of young girls walking dogs from the kennel. Only saw the campground hosts for a few seconds one day....

Bargain of the day, found a shelf unit that is about chest high at habitat restore for $2. Kind of beat up - the particle board assemble it yourself type - but I plan to just put it inside my closet for my T-shirts and other folded clothing. I don't think I need to get a dresser that way and the small bedroom will have more floor space for a chair or something. I also picked up a couple of picture frames and a cookbook at a yard sale for $1. I stopped into goodwill and got a sturdy drinking glass and another picture frame for $3.50. I wanted the glass for the hotel room so that I don't waste a bunch of those little throw away cups for 4 days straight - trying to be environmentally friendly when I can....
    Tomorrow I have to run my perfectly clean work uniforms thru the laundry. After being packed in a box for over 2 weeks, they are so wrinkled that no amount of ironing will get them looking decent. My schedule is kind of different than normal the first week. Monday I have to go to the HR office and get a bit of paperwork done before actually going to work so they adjusted my hours accordingly. Tues and Wed will be normal shift then I will be off Th,F, Sat. I am certainly okay with that if they leave me on Th,F, Sat anyway but if they move me back to T,W,Th off then that is okay too....

I got paid okay on the first from what I worked in Colorado and my next payday on the 15th is vacation pay. We see if the last paycheck of the month okay from AK. They said my pay raise may not show up for a while, but that I would get back pay eventually. I already had to call 2 times to Colorado because they were looking for me at work.... People, I am long gone!!!

Sherri1480, bugweena, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  6. Gardencook

We stayed at a My Place in Cheyenne once @KmmCo. It was brand new at the time and we were having a really tough time finding a hotel we liked in Cheyenne until we hit the beautiful new Comfort Inn AWAY from the railroad tracks.

My Place was filled with roughnecks (oil field workers for those who aren't acquainted with the term), so got a bit wild and noisy at night, but the room itself was okay for a night or so.

Another extended stay chain you might not have run into yet is Mainstay Suites. It is part of the Choice Hotels chain.

They tend to be a little smaller/more reasonably priced than the Hilton/IHG options, but since most of them are brand new they are still very nice. Definitely a large step above Extended Stay America and you get free hot breakfast, which is a real plus.

We try to avoid Extended Stay America simply because of all the bad reviews we've read -- although they've got a fairly new one with good reviews in Boise so perhaps one day we'll give that a try.

Candlewood Suites are quite reasonably priced and generally very nice. They are IHG and a step below Staybridge -- which can be pricey. You don't get breakfast at Candlewood, but free laundry and a free "lending locker" with small appliances like Crock-Pots, food processors and blenders are definitely a plus.

We've stayed at a lot of Staybridge and Candlewoods and haven't had a bad experience at any EXCEPT Amarillo. Won't set foot near those if we're ever back in that region.

We like Hilton's offerings -- Homewood and Home2, as well. Since they tend to be newer and more reasonably priced, I think we actually prefer Home2 in many cases. We don't have a problem with Home2's "expanded Continental" breakfast, although some people seem to get offended by it. (I'm an oatmeal lover, so all the topping options at Home2 always get me excited. ;))

We always wade through a lot of reviews before booking a hotel and can't get over some of the complaints we see while trying to find reviewers that aren't "snobs" or "slobs." Still can't believe the way critics fume about Home2 Suites Microfiber sheets. I'm more concerned with how clean the linens are than what they are made of. :p

Came across a new chain the other night which we haven't tried yet -- Best Western has started a chain called "Executive Residency" with full kitchens and a lot of the perks of the Hilton/IHG extended stays, like social/grill and patio areas. Haven't tried them yet, but it looks like they could have potential.

We should check out the Marriot extended stay chains one of these days, but the idea of trying to keep our points active at ANOTHER hotel chain is a bit much for me to handle. :eek:

7. KmmCo

Laundry done. Went to Goodwill again and picked up $16 worth of household items. I scored another small organizer shelf that will go on top of the closet shelf for hats, gloves, etc. I also got a small table lamp from the 75% off color tag for only $1.25! The shade is probably going to cost me a fortune as I will have find one at the hardware store or Walmart or someplace.... The rest of the stuff was misc kitchen items, glasses, and a big decorative bowl that I thought would work for fruit.

Lunch today was a Knorr Chicken & Broccoli rice side with some chunks of chicken, a little extra broccoli, and some cauliflower pieces tossed in. Easy one pot meal....

I think tonight I will grab a can of beans and seasoning packet out of the vehicle and do up chili with the rest of the hamburger meat.

*Between the spaghetti, chicken&rice, and the chili, I should have enough food for the rest of the work week and maybe even something left for my day off on Thursday.

After my lunch is done digesting, I am going to go for a scenic drive south of town and maybe find a place to walk a little bit...

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  8. Gardencook

We made it out of the house today, even if it wasn't exactly the height of excitement.

One of the knobs on our stove top broke last week and DH ordered a new one from the repair shop. We got a call today that it had arrived, so DH needed to pick it up.

We discovered how hard our stash of refried beans got hit during quarantine this winter when DH had a hard time finding any last night for dinner. He did find four cans, but it was definitely time to get more.

The discount grocery is only a couple blocks from the repair shop, so it was a good time to stop there. The owner has been trying to get more shipments in stock, but is having a hard time. He did get a big shipment of bakery-style cookies, restaurant-size bags of blueberry muffin mix and 50-pound bags of things like rice and flour -- none of which we needed -- however, I was hoping they might have gotten more canned goods.

The canned goods shelves were pretty bare overall, but I did find eight cans of organic refried black beans for 49 cents each and bought them. They have a pull date of 2022 so plenty of time left on them. :) Couldn't find anything else we needed, however.

Since we were already on the other side of town we went to the grocery there we got a few deals on groceries we could use.

They offered us a weekend free on bottled meat marinade. Before COVID-19, the store had started to give us a little longer on such coupons. During the pandemic they didn't offer any frees, but now they're back with only a couple days -- which means the store gets wiped out quickly.

Since the shelf was empty, I asked an employee and thankfully he was willing to substitute for another brand.

They had a decent deal on yogurt and we also had a coupon for a free single serve container so we picked up those. Picked up some cheap ice cream, as well.

Big find was a package with more than four pounds of 85 percent ground beef on markdown for 50 percent off. Can't remember exactly, but it was $2.39 per pound after discount so couldn't resist.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  9. KmmCo

@Gardencook I meet a couple of those oilworkers yesterday - called "slope workers" here. They fly to Deadhorse in two week on and two week off rotations. A little rough around the edges for sure.... I also meet a classic "bush person" who was definitely a little off the deep end. Evidence that those characters do really exist - though not like that fake show on TV. Within half an hour of being at work, one of the guys had warned me about the difficulties of dealing with some of them...

Anyway, really only worked a half day as I had to do a lot of paperwork in the morning. I ate my sack lunch at work. After I got "home" to the hotel, I made some chili and cheese nachos.... I work today and tomorrow then have 3 days off.....
    Gonna try to pack a few items back into the car this morning before work as I am checking out of hotel tomorrow... Not sure if I can get a lot loaded into the apartment tomorrow morning before work. I will throw the food in the fridge and my blow up mattress and bedding in the bedroom. I can deal with the rest on Thursday...

10. Gardencook

Well, I finally sat down to open my package that arrived today -- and at least it provided a little humor to lighten the day. This is how misunderstandings happen ...

I ordered a couple pairs of shoes from the manufacturer and FedEx is taking FOREVER getting them to me. I already mentioned it took six days for them to get from Pennsylvania to Ohio. They took the Southern route deep into West Virginia instead of the direct route across a state border.

The latest estimate was for them to arrive tomorrow after they decided they wouldn't deliver them Monday as originally planned.

Today a package arrived on our porch and the doorbell even rang -- just as I asked on my shoe/Amazon orders. I figured it had to be my shoes.

I was rather disappointed/bewildered when we brought in the box. It was clearly printed with the Penguin/Random House Logo instead of the shoe manufacturer. That seemed really odd, but I thought perhaps the shoe company was using a third party to deliver to FedEx and that outfit might use any box it could get its hands on.

If you crammed tightly and didn't give the shoes the protection of shoe boxes they might fit in the box, but I worried what sort of condition they'd be in after being squished so long. Since it was late in the afternoon, I knew the shoes wouldn't fit properly anyway. I'd have to try them in the morning, so I wasn't in too big a hurry to open them.

When I opened the box it was filled with tons and tons of bubble wrap and I couldn't figure out HOW in the world there was any room for shoes in there! I worried that perhaps they'd only sent one pair and I'd have to worry about the other pair sitting on the porch on a different day.

Instead, it turned out to be the bean cookbook I won in an e-mail drawing last week. After I sent my street address the woman wrote back and said there would be a delay due to COVID-19 so I expected to wait weeks/months for the book and I had dismissed it from my mind. However, it does explain why the box says it is from a book publisher instead of a shoe company and why the box doesn't seem large enough for two pair of shoes -- even though it is quite a bit larger than required for one book. :p

As far as the shoes, I'll be quite surprised if they arrive tomorrow as predicted. They did make it to our city very early this morning, however, after sitting at FedEx all day, as of 4 p.m. they were still in transit to the post office. I really doubt they'll get them there in time to make it onto a postal truck for delivery tomorrow.

We didn't see the truck -- the doorbell was what actually alerted us to the delivery. I didn't give instructions to ring the doorbell to the Legume Board. However, since the UPS driver did ring the doorbell today, I'm hoping that means UPS has instructions to ring the bell tucked away with our address somewhere in its system. We didn't get a ring with my Amazon order delivered by the post office the week before that. Amazon/UPS didn't even bother to give the post office instructions to do so on the label.

At least tonight I have a new cookbook to salivate my way through.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  11. Gardencook

Well, my shoes finally arrived yesterday so I needed to leave the house this afternoon to try at least one pair of them.

The one pair seems to be a decent fit although a little tight. I'm afraid to go wider on them or my foot might slide around when they stretch out.

The other pair is too narrow, as I feared. I don't actually have wide feet, but my arches are so high I have to buy wide shoes to get my feet into many shoes. I used to get by wearing pumps, but then my arches started falling if they didn't have support over the top of the shoe.

It is tight, but Clark's medium width slides will often fit IF I make sure to stick with only a couple styles and buy a larger size. I can't find a shoe that fits AT ALL these days if it has a back on it. VERY frustrating when the few shoe stores around never have my size and I'm not going to order those by mail when 99.9 percent will have to be returned.

The sandals I wore today was very comfortable -- aside from being too narrow to get my toes completely into the toe space -- that's why I have to buy a size too large. :confused: At least my heel was in the right spot.

While I couldn't get my shoes in the right width from the manufacturer, I did notice I could get a couple colors on Amazon so went ahead and ordered them this afternoon. Now I have to hold my breath and hope they don't sell to someone else before they fill my order, since there was only one pair of each remaining.

Meanwhile, I think I can make the others work as long as I don't wear them too often. I need something to wear until the others get here.

I didn't have ANY sandals for this summer to wear without socks and I didn't want to wear out the few pairs I have for winter going without socks in them in the heat this summer. They have been discontinued by the manufacturer and I can't even find slightly used pairs on eBay any longer.

We had a $5/$15 coupon about to expire at Big Lots so we went there first. The shelves are REALLY bare there. I hope they have just been wiped out by panic buying and aren't planning to close our store on top of all the others we've lost. :eek:

We did finally find enough to use the coupon. There were a couple six-packs of low-sodium V8 in stock. They had finally gotten the large $1 bottles of ammonia back in stock and they had some black soap I wanted to try -- two bars for $2. They also had a six-pack of Chicken Ramen noodles for one dollar -- which made more sense than the cases we're usually forced to buy considering how rarely we eat them.

Since we still weren't quite up to the $15, we bought a 12-pack of double roll toilet tissue (about $3.50 a/c) and I picked up a cold bottle of Squirt since it was another hot day in the 90s -- after dipping close to freezing yesterday.

We took a drive in the country. Didn't see much wildlife, but a farm had emus and we saw a lot of other livestock.

We dropped by the grocery store on our way home. Found some markdown produce and a markdown skillet dinner kit, but I left DH to check out and had to send him back into the store to get a refund of $6.36 after the store employee didn't cover the original scan code and he got charged $11.99 instead of $5.99. (We pay tax on groceries here.)

At least the digital coupons on a couple other items came off.

12. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Yesterday, I cancelled my order for 2 beach chairs from Amazon after I received an email that they would be further delayed until mid July. I will just pick up a similar chair at CVS next week and hopefully match the two I purchased from them in May. My Amazon gift card balance went up and I am letting it sit there until I need something.
    I have 1 more full check coming and a one week check after that. I really need to save my money since my bank job does not pay what my school job does. My goal is to put away at least $800 to have for August bills and for getting ferry fares to D2 's school for when she has to move in....at least I hope she gets to go back to school for her last year. Same goes for her 2 sisters.
    My car insurance was supposed to be reduced this month and it was not. I called the customer service line and was told a letter would be mailed detailing my refund but I have not received it nor was I given an amount.

13. Gardencook

Well, I've gone a bit "shoe wild" the past few days. After my sandals finally arrived, I decided I really needed a wider width -- although I'll try to get by with the ones I ordered so I don't have to return them -- and I could find out "wide" is too wide since I've never been able to find them here before.

I couldn't get the wider width when I ordered them, but noticed Amazon had a couple pair like the one sandal which was almost right, so decided to give them a try.

If you wear enough Clark's shoes, you eventually figure out that their women's shoe categories are generally named after a woman and that woman's name is generally the very same sole and foot bed on each and every style with the name. They just put a different top on the shoe to create new styles.

I bought one of my pairs of sandals based on the shoe bed, even though I'd never tried the actual sandal. The other pair turned out to be a base I'd never tried but it works, so I'll know that for the future.

Today I discovered that Amazon had a pair of white sandals in my size with the same woman's name style as I usually wear. I haven't been able to find white sandals for YEARS and these were reasonably priced. So I took a chance and ordered them.

Then since I really am desperate for casual, low-heeled, closed-toe shoes I took a chance on another Clark's style I haven't tried before. That is the shoe that I suspect will be most "iffy" of all of them, but all the Amazon shoes did offer free returns and I've noticed @jastwins has done pretty well with Amazon guaranteed returns in the past.

The shoes were priced high enough that I got free shipping, even though I placed three different orders.

Sure did take my gift card balance down, but I've been saving up for "necessary" purchases and when I'm getting close to wearing slippers in public I think shoes probably fit that category -- even though I've already got a closet full of shoes I can only wear five to 15 minutes each. :(

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  14. Gardencook

Been playing a game with myself the past week. We picked up a four pound package of 85 percent lean ground beef on markdown for $2.39 per pound last week and I've been seeing how far I could stretch it. Turns out, it goes quite a ways if you work at it.

Think we've had cheeseburgers at least three times, maybe four, but I've lost track. We actually go out of our way to buy small burger buns, because we really don't like huge ones and the burgers we made were just about right.

Made a big batch of Spanish rice for dinner one night and that lasted two people for about three meals -- one dinner and two lunches.

Made a pot of chili and have gotten several meals from it, as well.

Yesterday we fried up the last of the ground beef with onions and garlic so it was ready to use in other recipes.

We made a pot of hamburger and cheesy potato soup for lunch today. That used up half of the remaining burger.

Tonight we'll use the last of it in a macaroni goulash-type skillet meal.

I was trying to count total meals last night and I'm thinking it figured out to DH and I each averaging about 4 ounces or a little less per meal -- which is a recommended serving according to the USDA. I'm not worried about the meals where we got less than that, because the other ingredients had plenty of protein to make up for it.

We didn't have to eat the same thing day after day, because we've been working our way through a turkey breast we cooked up, as well.

We've gotten plenty of turkey sandwiches, turkey on toast, turkey divan and a pot of turkey noodle soup from that.

Meanwhile, we've used up quite a few stockpile canned ingredients which has meant we've made very few trips to the store.

15. KmmCo

I have been busy getting the apartment together and sightseeing.

I spent $150+ on groceries this last week. I stocked up the freezer with lots of Costco chicken and hamburger. I found a dented can markdown bonanza at Fred Meyer and filled up a huge bag. Am good for a while on food other than eggs & milk. The produce here is expensive and does not keep long. I have some frozen an canned stuff and will get to the farmers market next weekend...

I got most of what I needed for the apartment at the thrift store. I am still trying to find a futon on craigslist or facebook market. I eventually need a vacuum too... I bought a new microwave at Walmart, because it was driving me crazy not to have one.
    I still don't have internet at the apartment and am just using free Wifi wherever I can connect.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  16. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

I made a quick trip to Walmart to get canned dog food and dog biscuits. Got there at 7 right when they opened and no issues getting in and out without too much interaction with other people. I tried to get the e-vic Freschetta pizzas as Harris Teeter but they only had two and the packages looked like someone had thrown them across the store. I did find 3 6-packs of red/yellow/orange peppers marked down to $3.99 so got those cut up and in the freezer yesterday. My mom is going to visit for two weeks. She just found out she has an allergy caused by a tick bite. She can't eat meat other than chicken and fish. We will have to google some new recipes as hubby prefers meals with beef!

17. Gardencook

@bugweena, it sounds like your mom might have the same thing as @XUfan -- although I can't remember if she has actually said her allergy was caused by a tick bite or if I just wondered if that is how her allergy arose. XUfan can't even eat chicken, but I think I've seen her use a can of chicken broth on occasion.

18. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@bugweena, lots of people on my Island develop the meat allergy after getting bit by ticks. Make sure she was treated with the antibiotic, doxicycline and hopefully, the meat allergy can, but not always, disappear after a year or two.
    After being diagnosed with Lyme disease last year, I am very glad I did not develop the meat allergy. Good luck!
    Also, she can eat turkey too. No meat from hooved animals.

19. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

Yes, I forgot about turkey. She had a few episodes where she would have severe GI issues and pass out. The last time she passed out multiple times and my nephew called 911. They took her to ER and they did all kinds of tests. She went to an allergist and it was diagnosed via blood test. Got an epi pen and has changed her diet. She said she felt better this week than she has in a long time. I had never heard about this before.

20. KmmCo

Got my internet working at the apartment! I paid upfront for 1st month and got second month free - so not a bad deal.

Todays lunch is just some leftover refried beans and a bit of leftover pork repurposed into some nachos... I am getting some chicken thawed out to make a crockpot meal either tomorrow or Saturday. I am gonna get some chili out that is in the freezer for baked potato with chili tonight.... I am going to attempt some banana nut muffins too. I got a big box of "basic muffin mix" from Costco that allows you add your own berries or whatever. I had to buy some nutmeg and nuts for the banana muffins, so it wasn't cheap initially. I knew the last of my Costco bananas would need to get used up this weekend though. I might make a double batch and freeze some for later....

Laundry is done for the weekend and the dishwasher will get run later as it is only partially full. Putting coins in the laundry machines is getting pricey $8 to $12 a week is what it is averaging - ouch.... Gotta have clean clothes though.

I picked up an entire bed for $120 dollars off of facebook marketplace. Still looking for a futon/couch for the living room... They sell fast here when they come up on the listings..... I thought I might go look at Ashely this weekend to see if they have any. I need a TV stand and a TV but that can wait till later if needed.

One of the girls at work wants to do the Kenai fjords boat tour this summer. I have not looked at prices on that yet, but it sounds fun. I am going to look into that later today.
    I want to do all kinds of touristy stuff, but so far just a few walks and drives is all that I have managed. I have most of this weekend free though and have a 4 day weekend next weekend. I am finally done with most of the shopping for the apartment stuff and am stocked up on groceries for a bit. I have one errand to the hardware store (for wood glue and a clamp to fix something loose) this weekend. I also need to get more laundry quarters from the bank...

Not much else going on today and nothing planned for Fri and Sat. I might look at campgrounds for Friday night if I get really enthused.... Otherwise I will do a day trip out for something fun like a hike.The solstice is passed but it is still pretty light out till around midnight, so I have plenty of time to get out and do things....

Moderators: KimShaw