Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

By the way, carpooler and I are working opposite weeks with the new summer schedule. He works next week 2 days while I am off. I have two days scheduled the following week while he is off .... Since I am leaving town anyway on the 20th, I will only work the 19th and use a vacation day on the 20th. I don't know why they switched it up and I am sure that they did not realize what they did with giving me 2 full weeks off (paid).

Anyway, with the new "phase" I can see other people as long as the gathering is less that 10 people so I can say goodbye to a few individuals outside of work including my carpooler. I was kind of sad to figure out that we were not going to work my last day together. When I talked to him today (on the phone) he was not happy to realize that he would be working with a lady that was working opposite week. She is not his favorite and he was glad not to see here the last month. We only had one days work last pay period but they moved it up to two now.

I doubt that the full 40 hour work week is a happening thing this summer whether I am here or in Alaska... I do hope they have more work up there. My job is aviation industry related and AK is very dependent on that - more so than here. Cargo traffic is heavy there even when there are no passengers. Either way it is okay with me as long as I get base salary. Come the end of the fiscal year, I am thinking there will be budget cuts and layoffs if the economy doesn't improve. I am not worried though as I have senority and I could just retire anyway if I wanted....

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Waded through some more of my pile of magazines this afternoon while my bread was rising. Now we've got two nice loaves of toasted barley and molasses bread to get us through the next couple days.

Don't know what made this bread so much different than the last, but DH couldn't wait to sink his teeth into this batch -- even though there was still a little of the last loaf left. He's been talking about it all afternoon, couldn't wait for me to get it into the oven even though it was not fully risen and was ready to take it out way to early. Guess he must like the appearance of "flakes" in his bread. :p

DH used a $1.00 fuel reward to refill the car this afternoon. He first started mowing the lawn and then when he got low on gas in the mower he filled the gas can along with the tank.

I was thrilled when Kroger rolled over our fuel points another month, since discounts don't do much good when we're not allowed to drive anywhere. The store is charging more per gallon than the other stations in town -- which didn't used to be the case -- however, after the discount we still got it for 88 cents a gallon. We didn't have a discount at the others.

He was outside working while waiting for the first bid on a tree service to trim our front tree. We're still waiting on a couple more bids, one of which will be the beginning of next week.

It is going to cost a bundle, because the city sent out a bunch of letters telling homeowners trees must be cut back to 18 feet above the street. Now the trimmers are all getting too many calls and it is tough to get a bid.

The city has never done this before, so I suspect it is an attempt to get people back to work, but I don't know what the unemployed are going to do about paying the bill if they are already behind on payments -- and they're only giving everyone three weeks to do it. :(

Getting the tree trimmed was already on our to-do list -- along with a LOT of other projects. We've gotten behind with the health/deaths of our parents in recent years -- and the follow-up after the lack of care my Mom got from hospice the last week of her life. The three weeks notice the city is giving is a bit short when we're still getting snow.

3. KmmCo

*Bacon sandwiches for lunch today. Nobody bothered cooking the bacon for breakfast, so I figured I would use it up. I actually had lettuce and tomato. I added some sliced onion and cheese to mine for a delux version. The side was a can of pears and I set out whatever chips we had if anyone in the house wanted them...

I did the bacon in the oven, which is the first time I have ever tried that. I am sold on that method now - much easier that frying it and cleaning up all the grease mess afterward. I had the oven hot anyway because I had finally gotten around to making the lemon bars. Yesterday got too hot to bake anything in the afternoon, so I got to the baking before lunch today.

DH finished up his raised beds (2 of them 4x8) and he even made pvc hoops to drape plastic over for the cooler weather. He also set up two compost bins that we had here. He is also weeding and mowing today. I am taking advantage of him being outside to get some things done in the house. My big project today is to go thru my shoes and see if I can donate a few and organize the rest. My shoes just end up all over the floor of either the bedroom or hallway. I am only packing two pair of tennis shoes and 2 pair of boots for my trip north. I have 3 pair of work shoes and can alternate wearing those outside of work too - they are basic black leather so pretty versital really.

I will probably buy a new pair of running shoes up there - at a lower altitude I will be able to add a little jogging to my walking routine. I might join a gym in the winter if the apt I get doesn't have an exercise room. I am not losing weight at all with this stay-at-home since I am cooking so much good stuff...

For dinner we will finish off the pot roast that I cooked (on Monday?) either as is or repurposed as a beef stew. It is the only leftover that I have now in the fridge as we have been trying to polish off the odd and end stuff the last couple of days... Tomorrow I can start fresh with cooking new stuff....

Sherri1480, Cathy, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

I told myself we wouldn't do it, but ...

Our discount grocery decided to use the pandemic as an opportunity to move to a larger location a few blocks away. They closed the old location several weeks ago and promised they'd work hard to be open by the first week in May.

It was actually a win-win situation since he wasn't going to be able to restock for several weeks and probably would have had to close anyway. This way he was able to keep his staff employed helping him move.

It is kind of nostalgic, because the "new" building used to be a grocery store when I first moved here. It was right across the street from my apartment when I was single so I shopped there often. Since then it has been everything from a pawn shop to a gym and now it is back to a grocery store again. :D

Of course, with the grocery situation the way it is and so many people out of work his regular customers have been champing at the bit for him to re-open.

I knew it would be a madhouse this morning at 10 a.m. when the grand opening began so hadn't planned to go at all today -- even though that meant forgoing the free bottle of Orange Vanilla Coke to the first 100 customers. :p (I bought some Cherry Vanilla at three for $1 to try instead. ;))

He did post live to Facebook a few minutes before he opened and said there was a big crowd waiting outside and asked people to try to maintain social distancing so I was convinced we'd made the right decision by not going.

However, as the day wore on I wondered if the crowds had thinned. I knew the good stuff would probably be gone by next week if we waited. So later this afternoon we ventured over figuring if the crowd was too bad we'd forget about it.

We made the right decision. The place wasn't overly crowded. The new store isn't able to accept EBT yet like the old one, so that probably made a difference. I suppose the state workers are backlogged on getting him approved again, or perhaps he doesn't have the Internet running correctly yet.

We could have maintained social distancing IF everyone had been using common sense. Of course, discount shopping being what it is we had both an older woman and a group of three women who were terrified we'd find a deal before them. They pushed around us when we were in different parts of the store and then blocked the aisle in front of us while they browsed -- refusing to allow us to move in the aisles the owner has carefully turned into one-way with arrows on the floor. :mad:

However, we managed to keep our cool with only a few raised eyebrows to each other when we were dead in the water.

Thankfully, a couple of the things we have been unable to locate in the grocery stores recently (at least at a price we wanted to pay) were in stock. That's why we decided to chance a trip over there.

Unbleached flour wasn't a bad price at $2.69 at our regular store the other day -- if they'd had any. :( When I realized we didn't have as many Old Fashioned Oats in the basement as I thought, I also discovered without mega sales/coupons our regular store wanted close to $4 for house brand and $5 for Quaker. OUCH!

The discount store was well stocked on both and we got five-pound bags of Stone Buhr (health food store brand) Unbleached Flour for $1.59 and large canisters of Mom's Old Fashioned Oats for $1.50 each. I liked those prices a LOT better.

As I feared, the store had gotten really high on some specialty items with the move, but we picked up a few really good prices on other odds and ends including small cans of corn to use in recipes, organic tomato products, a few brownie mixes and a nice price on Liquid-Plumr -- which our regular store has either not been able to get or has discontinued in recent weeks. DH doesn't think the Drano Gel which is all our store has works nearly as well.

In all, we spent $36 and got nearly two banana boxes full of items.

On the way back home we stopped for some produce at a store we don't shop that often. They had a good supply of oats and flour when we were there a couple weeks ago, but were wiped out of them today. I originally planned to buy both items at that store, but that wouldn't have worked out too well had we not gone to the discount store.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  5. KmmCo

Sat was kind of a lazy day again. I went to the thrift store since retail opened in our city yesterday. I had donations to drop off and went in too look around....

*Lunch yesterday was some flatbread pizzas. We each just put what we wanted on the pizzas. I had pepperoni, onion, and mushroom on mine. We just used whatever we had in the fridge. I had one extra flatbread left so I put garlic butter and mozzerella on it. When it came out of the oven, I cut it so that we could each have 2 "breadsticks" to go with the individual sized pizzas.

*Dinner yesterday was half a bag of the garlic chicken pasta that I bought at Costco the other day...

*Today I made tuna salad sandwiches for the guys for lunch and had chicken salad for myself. Neither of them like the chicken salad with the cranberries and almonds that I bought the other day, so I will just eat it all myself!

I am thawing the leftover Thanksgiving turkey and will make the pot pie tonight for dinner. I figured it was a good time to do it as I can eat the rest of the turkey while DH is at work this week...

I had some trauma at Safeway today. I went in to get a couple of items off the ad and my loyalty card would not work. After resigning up for a new loyalty card, the new one would not connect to my phone # but showed the digital coupons and everything online. After trying three times to ring up my stuff the cashier finally just put the butter coupon in by hand and I put most of the other items back. I had to call when I got home and get them to fix my"new" loyalty card. DH has a theory that if you don't shop there often then they remove your card from the system. Anyway, I might go back and see if I can get some more butter tonight since it didn't actually use my coupon on the order.

I walked a different direction this afternoon and found another "free library" box. I got one book out of it that I will read later. One nice discovery: a person had a table out for "free" stuff for those in need and it had all kinds of non-perishables on it. I might drop by a donation later on. Another person had a sign up that they were collecting donations for the Navajo nation - and a list of specific items like soap, cleaners, and paper products that they would take. Really nice people stepping up in times of crisis...

I am sweaty from my long walk today - need an extra shower before dinner... I have been saving a few showers because of not needing one after work some days. I have not got a water bill yet to see if it is saving me any money though. Probably all the extra dishes from the cooking is not helping there...

Definitely not spending much on gas at all. DH's car only took $12 this week and I have not filled any of the other vehicles this month as I topped them all off in April. The internet bill went down $4 the last two months. I don't know if that is permanent or not though. Still waiting to get a rebate on the car insurance...

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  6. KmmCo

Had a productive morning - finally cleaned out the small freezer in the kitchen. Found 1 pkg of Costco chicken, 3 packages of hamburger, and 1 package of steak. I am going to make Philly cheesesteaks later this week. I put the rest of the meat in the top of the chest freezer so that it gets used first....

I had to toss about 5-6 containers of freezer burnt mystery leftovers, but found some soups and a few other items that I can salvage. There were also 4 packages of frozen veggies that I didn't know that I had too.

*lunch today: some leftover taco meat from the freezer cleanout tossed onto some quesadillas

*dinner: grilled pork chops, some roasted potato and carrot, plus whatever fruit I can scrounge out of the fridge.

I watched a series of videos on making individual sized freezer meals to get ideas for some lunch preps for myself. Some of them looked pretty good and the lady doing it was really efficient in how she made a variety of meals in a short amount of time. She even did a couple of family sized dinners at the same time too.... One of her pasta dishes looked really good - it was a casserole type that she could pull out and just bake on a busy night.

It was cold and rainy today so I tried to get stuff done in the house. I ran the dishes and laundry while I was doing the freezer cleanout. I also called a couple of apartments in AK that I will be taking a look at. One was larger and inexpensive and the other one had nicer ammenities but was smaller at $90 more cost. I will probably take the cheaper one even though I don't need the extra space - I just don't think I will use the fitness center and clubhouse much anyway. When I talked to the guy at the second apt we figured out my van would not fit under the included carport and I would have park in an uncovered space anyway. The kitchens and baths were about the same and both were within a few blocks of parks with nice bike trails. Both were about the same distance from work and from shopping so that is not a factor either.... I will drive by them when I get there and see if they are suitable. Even though I looked at virtual tours of both, I want to see them in person. One had the people moving out on the 25th and I don't want to commit until I know it is left in good shape when I get there....

7. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

I am wondering if my bank job will use me this summer and sent an email to my boss over the weekend. Still have not heard back from her and this worries me. As of now my bank is taking work through the drive thru and branch visits are by appointment only. We were supposed to switch to a new teller system and I am not sure of the status of the conversion. If businesses do not open up soon, many will go under. So I hope to hear from the bank and pray I do not have to look for another summer job or go on unemployment. That would be a financial disaster for me.
    My only way to save is to bank some money from my check where I get my last quarter of pay for two advisor positions. I hope to post for one of the positions on the yearbook next year and hope I get chosen.

Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.
  8. KmmCo

So much drama in my life - I had reserved some Canadian currency for pick up next week and they called me to say they didn't think they were opening by then. After a bunch of calling around, I found a place to deliver it to the house for a $15 Fed Ex overnight fee after paying with a credit card.... Big banks used to do currency exchanges, but it appears they have all contracted out to other companies here. The banks around here are only drive thru or make an appointment ahead to go inside anyway.....

Still trying to get the proper bit of paperwork from AK to show that I have a job there. I have emails, but the travel paperwork they gave me here is too generic. I want something more specific and they usually send it exactly two weeks before. I want to leave after my work week next week which is 2.5 weeks out....

Speaking of work week, I got a call to come in 3 days next week. They might send me home early on the third day though since that is my last one there anyway. Lots of time they outprocess people after lunch and let them leave a couple of hours early. Talking to my old carpooler after his work week last night - it sounds like it is chaos around there. I guess they called 160 people over the weekend and only 3 answered their phone, even though everbody is supposed to understand they are on callback status. At least they called me 5 days ahead of when I go in. Yesterday the supervisor told carpooler "see you tomorrow" and he had to point out that Thurs is his regular day off anyway and it would be OT (which is strickly forbidden right now). He said another girl was mad because she worked 4/5 days this week and some people only worked 1 day because it is chaos and they don't know who they called and who they didn't. I was told to just stay home all week, so I get why she was kind of upset. Base pay for staying home is only about $16 less per day than actually going to work, so not really worth it to go in after you spend gas money to get there....

DS and I have been eating leftover turkey alternating with frozen pizzas the last couple of days while DH went to work.

DS got his last college final done on Tuesday and finally got his taxes done Wed. He didn't work enough to actually be required to file, but he somehow gets a tuition credit as a refund. I told him to do the Fed taxes but don't bother filing state since nothing was withheld from his job for income taxes. He is getting $900+ dollars back in refundable credit. That will buy him a few books/supplies for his next semester and maybe even a pizza or two..... The smarty pants kid only made a little money from his temp job last summer, but made $24,000 in capital gains from selling stocks. No taxes due on that since he is in the lowest tax bracket! I think I trained him well.... I hope he was smart and put money back in the market at that low point a few weeks ago. I have been putting as much money as I can into retirement fund and HSA knowing that I will need to cut it back when I start paying rent....

Sherri1480, jastwins and jcdamomma like this.
  9. Gardencook

DH caught a cold so I went out and hit three stores today. He won't be able to go in stores till he gets past this. It seems almost like he has the same stuff I had several weeks ago, but he had to have picked it up from someone else even though he wears a mask. If he caught if from me, he would have caught it weeks ago.

Got some markdowns at the first store, but didn't find the chicken I was hoping for and not too much produce either. I did get some fresh green beans and a few bananas -- both on markdown.

They had a few kitchen gadgets thrown in a discount bin and I found a nice can opener and a citrus squeezer -- both $2.50 each. Those will go in our kitchen travel box -- if we ever get to travel again someday. :rolleyes:

Also found markdowns on some deli fajita meat that will make for quick meals. Noosa yogurt, some peanut butter cookies, some whole wheat pizza dough, a tub of salsa and a tub of guacamole were also on markdown. Not that I really needed them, but who can pass on Dove Chocolate Covered Cashews for more than half off?

Went to the discount grocery store next, but they were pretty wiped out. I think I judged correctly going on grand opening day last week to find our flour and oatmeal. They still had some oatmeal today, but they were wiped out of most of the flour -- including the unbleached we bought last Friday.

I did find some house brand Rotel copycat tomatoes for 49 cents a can and some Sylvia's Cornbread Mix. We've never tried that brand before, but it was only 50 cents a package so we couldn't go wrong. I checked when we got home and it retails for about $3.89 -- a little over $3.00 with Amazon subscribe and save.

The last store was the big stop I dreaded. Needed to pick up quite a few items there, use some digital coupons before they expired and get in the mega-sale swing again after not doing one in quite a while.

We were just about out of garlic and the stuff they sell at that store is grown in the U.S., so I like to buy it there. (If it still has roots, it is American. China is required to cut off all roots, to prevent soil-born diseases from entering the county -- but some American companies cut off all the roots, as well.)

I didn't want to run out, because my nephew works for a grocery store and said his store is running out of garlic constantly. Apparently farmers in Gilroy, California (where virtually all the U.S. garlic is grown) plowed under most of their garlic this year after the restaurants closed. He said, restaurants pay more than supermarkets and many didn't want to be bothered harvesting without the restaurants when government insurance would pay them more for a failed crop -- the law of unintended consequences. :(

Didn't find a huge number of markdowns at that store, but paid a bit more than I liked for a couple markdown salad kits. Also found some organic corn tortilla "taco sliders" and the chicken I'd been unable to find at the first store -- 10 pounds for $2.99, regular $9.99! Also found some cheap Nourish kale and sweet potato "bowls" that will team really well with the fajita meat.

Did get to use a B1G1 Beef Jerky coupon on a brand that was on sale this week and one of two high value digital coffee coupons. Two pound blocks of Tillamook Cheese were $4.99 if you bought two. Was going to buy the yogurt they had on sale, but splurged a bit and bought the Noosa on markdown at the other store instead.

The mega sale turned out to be a decent one, even though I wasn't that impressed by what I saw in the ad. When I checked the web site I found things that interested us more.

I got a large bottle of Colgate Optic White Mouthwash for $1.99 a/c (normally $7.49), a half gallon of almond milk for $1.24 after coupon that was expiring today, a box of Kind bars for $1.24 using another digital coupon and a box of Quorn for $1.49 a/c. Sargento specialty sliced cheese wasn't a bad price after insert coupon. Shaved beef, frozen fries and onion rings were a decent price without coupon.

I was going to get ice cream -- also on sale -- for our anniversary treat, but didn't think that would be a good idea with DH's cold. It will still be on sale for another week and a half, so perhaps later I can come up with at least four more sale items to team with it.

10. KmmCo

Been busy doing a few last minute things before I leave town... I had to hit up the hardware store for an extra long bungee. While I was there I had an extra key made for my van to put in my wallet as a just in case. I just don't want to find out the hard way how much a locksmith costs when I am 3000 miles from home.....

*We have been eating odd and ends just to get old stuff out of the fridge and pantry. Lunch today was some shake and bake chicken tenders. I pulled out bits and pieces of sides for everyone to polish off - sweet potato, pear halves, mashed potatoes and gravy all made it on to my plate....

* Today I baked a lemon pound cake and some spice muffins that will never get used up by the guys. If there is any left at the end of the week then I can take it with me for road snacks... I have to work 3 days this coming week so I will finish some of it off at work....

*I pulled the oldest package of hamburger out of the fridge for dinner. I am thinking taco meat as I have taco shells and corn tortillas to get rid of. I might grab a can of refried beans out of the pantry and make some tostadas with the corn tortillas. I know that the leftover taco meat will get used up the next couple of days by DH.

*I prepaid a bunch of bills from this paycheck so that the next two paychecks of mine are totally free to be used for any unexpected travel expenses coming up. Anything left at the end of June will go into regular savings.... If I still have $$ in December then I can use it toward my IRA contributions for 2020. June is a 3 paycheck month and the last check is the only one that I need to pay any upcoming expenses .... I also have some cash in my wallet that I have been accumulating that will either get spent for items for my apartment or will get deposited into savings. Since I will be doing pay at pump and not going into stores on my trip, I shouldn't be spending any cash.....

I am making a stop at Sams Club today because the butter and cheese in the house is pretty much gone. The two "boys" finished off all the frozen pizzas too, so I will grab a few of those... That will be the last of any big shopping for me. I need to get one loaf of bread and a few packaged veggies to take with me on the day I leave at the regular store. (Any fresh veggies have to have the packaging on them showing that they were grow in the US or Canada.) I think I will get some baby carrots and maybe celery to munch on so that I don't eat too much junk food. Road trips are terrible - if there are chips and cookies within reach I will snarf them down and regret it later.

11. Gardencook

Bought a 10-pound bag of chicken leg quarters on Friday for $2.99. The catch? It was a solid block which needed to be thawed to use.

So, since we couldn't process it at that half-thawed stage where some of it could be refrozen, today the work began.

There were 10 leg/thigh quarters in the bag. We cut them apart to make 20 total pieces.

The 10 drumsticks went in the oven a short while ago. Plan to put BBQ sauce on at least some of them to have with fries and onion rings for dinner tonight. DH will probably prefer his plain, but he's boring. :p The leftovers will probably be for snacking.

Six of the thighs went into the fridge. Most if not all will be used with Indian simmer sauce we got free using an SB offer.

I'd like to make pot pie, as well, but if so it will have to be made from a couple of the thighs reserved in the fridge. The jury is still out on that one.

The remaining four are in a Dutch oven awaiting seasoning to poach. Part of that meat will be made into chicken salad for sandwiches using produce we have on hand.

I'm thinking I might make a small batch of chicken noodle soup from the rest of the meat. We've got plenty of produce and whole wheat noodles on hand.

Not bad for three dollars. Wish I'd had room in the freezer for another bag ...

12. KmmCo

Hey everyone, I am headed to the North today! I had to work the last 3 days and didn't have much time to get on here.

Got the cooler packed already. I grabbed my carrots and celery at Costco last night since I wanted to get the bear spray - you get 2 canisters there for the price of one at the sporting goods store... I may have to stop at Walmart on the road for a couple more butane cartridges for my stove - probably won't need them but better safe than sorry....

I have one errand to run this morning, then I will hit the road. You all won't hear from me for about a week until I get to AK. I need to save my roaming data for family contact.... It will be a quick trip thru Canada as they won't let you go inside any stores - just pay at pump and drive on please!

M_Lexx, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 3 others like this.
  13. Gardencook

Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.
  14. jastwins

@KmmCo , be safe. I cannot help but worry about the bears!!!! Stay healthy and be careful.

jcdamomma and Sherri1480 like this.
  15. Gardencook

Our tree trimmer was here this morning, so not exactly a frugal day but a necessary one. He was supposed to come last week but we got a big storm with thunder, lightning and torrential rains -- not great conditions for climbing high ladders -- so he had to cancel.

DH did end up going with the fellow with the middle bid. He wasn't too confident in the fellow with the lowest bid and the one with the highest bid couldn't get the job done for another month or more. Since the city gave us less than a month in its notice, that ruled him out. Never did hear from the fourth company DH called which was headquartered in Jackson, Wyoming but was supposed to contact someone locally.

The trimmer arrived with his wife and another helper as well as his pet raccoons. It turns out he's got two of them, not just one. :p

Didn't really make plans for today, since we didn't know how well the tree would go. DH did make one more run to the grocery store to pick up a few last minute items before the new sale tomorrow. While he was there, he found some whole wheat burger buns on markdown for 59 cents a package. :)

We could get Sargento sliced cheese for $1.29 a package after mega sale and coupon and they had Red Robin fries and onion rings on sale -- which we've been enjoying.

They've had a decent deal on ice cream, as well, but we hadn't taken advantage of it since first DH had a cold and then I caught it from him. We finally picked up a carton today -- the last day of the sale.

The store also sent a high value digital coupon on Hawaiian coffee which was on sale this week and a new plant-based "meat" was B1G1 and we had a high value coupon to go with it. We already used one on the same brand of patties several days ago, but this one was good on ground "meat."

Our shopping trips haven't been the most exciting in recent weeks, but at least we're beginning to see a little bit of the old normal coming back with some decent prices on mega sale the past couple weeks.

There is a new mega sale starting tomorrow. I didn't see much we needed in the ad preview -- which as a sign of normal returning, the store posted early for the first time in many weeks -- however, I might find something more tomorrow when they post the full list.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  16. jastwins

Well today was a good news and not so good news, but it could get better day.
    Good news is that I will be working at my bank job this summer. My manager contacted me today. This is a load off my mind and I did not want the hassle of filing for unemployment, so I am glad it worked out in my favor. Or did it? Crankie said I would make more on unemployment than at the bank....maybe, but the hassle of filing and tax implications does not sound like a better deal to me.
    We knew the IRS would take our refund and were surprised to find out that after paying off last year's taxes, we were to receive almost $300. The IRS sent it to our bank, but our accountant had not exactly typed our account number that we gave him on our return. We contacted the bank and they do not see the refund in our account. I cannot get through to anyone at the IRS after calling 3 times and will try again tomorrow.
    After checking the NYS website, they had no status of our refund. When I called the state tax agency today, I was told that our state E return was not filed. A message was left at the new accountant and I hope someone calls us back. I understand that they have until July to file, but they assured us they would be filed at the same time. My message to the accountant left the correct account number and bank routing number.

My plan is to go shopping tomorrow, but my budget is limited. I do have gc's for WAlmart and CVS ecr. Hopefully, I can get some deals and will look at SB and Savingstar or checkout 51 for online rebates.

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  17. Gardencook

I hadn't been out of the house in more than a week and a half, so this afternoon we went to a couple thrift stores that opened a couple weeks back.

Didn't find anything at the first store and found very little at the second, but at least it got us out of the house.

Did pick up a package with at least 10 unused two-pocket folders, a few page protectors and some construction paper for $1.99. A brand new home repair book (retail $24.99) was also $1.99, and a plastic bag with an around the neck mini bag and ID folder for travel was another $1.99. We get a 10 percent senior discount, so it came to about $5.72 total after tax.

We've still got lots of unused fuel rewards which will expire in a few days, so decided to take a drive in the country. I saw a couple pheasants, but DH missed both of them.

The potato and winter wheat fields are really greening up nicely and lots of calves in the pastures.

We ended up in a town about a half hour away. There is a grocery there which normally has a nice garden center, so I asked DH to stop. They were pretty well wiped out, since everyone seems to be planting a garden this year.

Did pick up a few plants, but we were later this year than I've gone in previous years so there wasn't much.

Stopped at Arby's when we pulled into town and picked up $2 Gyros for our dinner.

Not the most thrilling day, but at least we made it out of the house.

18. jastwins

I had an annoying day yesterday to say the least. Finally, I located out Fed refund at some unknown bank in the account of our accountant. It seems the software he uses to file uses this bank to filter the refunds. Since our correct info was never posted properly, the bank returned it to this unknown bank and it sits in our accountant's account. While I understand this, it is the first time I ever heard of this. We do not owe him any money, the check for his services was cashed, so what should he get part of my refund that is now smaller with $45 in fees taken out of it? As we sat with the worker of this firm, never once were we told that this was the way they do business. Crankie has the owner's direct number and finally called him. He had the person call our home and my daughter picked up while I went to the atm, 1 mile away. He was probably never taught any phone etiquette, since he did not know who he was calling nor did he identify himself until my daughter asked. I literally walked in after she hung up with the person. :mad::mad::mad:
    Our NYS taxes are still not filed and this person better not have the refund sent to his bank, less any fees. We could really use the money and now have to wait another month to get a refund.
    D3 had a dr. appt and has to go back next week. This just about ruined my afternoon and I did not get to go shopping since it was too late. UGH.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  19. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Have a great adventure Kim...stay safe!

jcdamomma and Sherri1480 like this.
  20. KmmCo

Made it here to AK a few days ago, but have been busy with apartment hunting and such.... I got a deposit down on a place but the previous people were there till end of month (today) and then the cleaning needs to get done. If I am lucky it will be ready on next Friday or maybe not till Monday or Tuesday the following week.... This is a good place for me though so I guess it is worth the wait.

Today is the first day that I have really had to just relax. I stayed at extended stay for 2 nights, but it was kind of a creepy neighborhood. I moved over to the Hilton Home2 and used points for 3 nights (thru tonight) and then I am paying cash for Sunday and Monday night. Tuesday I will get in to the apartment to check it out after the people are gone, but I can't move in till the carpets are cleaned and the maintenance guys are done.
    I decided that I am going camping for the rest of this week. I made reservations at Denali for W, Thurs and will figure someplace else out to camp on Tues on the way. By the time I come back to town hopefully I will get good news that the apartment is ready.... Otherwise it is back to a hotel for a few nights....

I bought $20 worth of fresh grocery stuff on the way in to town and meal prepped some stuff at the extended stay. Just been heating stuff in the microwave the last couple of days.

Gas to get here cost $517 - not bad at all. I paid for one hotel in Canada because I wanted a shower and laundry by the time I got to a certain city - $87. The extended stay was $140 for 2 nights. This hotel is gonna be $238 for 2 extra nights above my points usage. camping at Denali - $54 plus I need to buy my national parks pass for the year at $80. I think I have done pretty good so far on spending.
    Canada was weird with the virus paranoia - I got to see a lot of cool stuff like bears and other wildlife, pretty views, etc from the car. I had to pay at the pump and was not allowed to really do anything but drive. I could not go into any stores. My camping was all free because I just had to do highway pulloffs - even the few open campgrounds were off limits for anyone not from Canada.
    I have not seen much of town because I am still under "self monitoring" quarantine until Wed. I drove around town a bit and took a couple of nature walks. When I come back to town next weekend I will check out some stores. No point in going in to the thrift stores and such until my apartment is ready. I located the groceries, walmart, & bank branch closest to my new home and to work. I can walk to Fred Meyer and Costco is not too terribly far away.... I don't need any more food right now. I am using the fresh stuff that I just bought first then I will start using the canned and dried items from the stash in the van.

The rest of the weekend I am just hanging out and relaxing here at the hotel. Monday I will call utility company to get that transferred and get my renters insurance set up.

Tuesday I will get inside the apartment at least to get a good look. I toured the one upstairs because that was vacant and the one below is the one that I want, so I was willing to wait for it. Manager says it has newer carpet and flooring for bath and kitchen that is different than the one upstairs, so I am hoping it is pretty neutral in color. I think ground floor is better because of me working late at night. If I am upstairs it could disturb someone when I come in and walk around and shower. This unit is also only a few steps from the laundry down the hall and I won't have to take that up/down stairs. My parking spot is right in front where I can see my vehicle too.... Best part = $100 under budget. (plus a gas fireplace! no messing with dirty wood, just turn it on and enjoy!)

By the way, the light is not stopping me from sleeping. I was mad this morning though because I wanted to sleep in and DH called me way to early. I had to explain time was earlier here and I am out of coffee drinks too. Don't bother me early anymore!

Moderators: KimShaw