Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

DH saw a story this afternoon that even the governor's Wednesday message extending the Stay at Home Order until the beginning of May was virtually unbearable for people to watch -- if they could get video at all! Apparently, the worst quality was the broadcast on Idaho Public Television -- where the governor's speeches are always broadcast.

Since they didn't want reporters in close contact at the press conference, they tried a teleconference system like Zoom so people could still ask questions -- it didn't go well. :confused:

I guess if the governor can't even get a decent signal, we're all in the same boat! :(

DH was up half the night trying to get our net mesh Internet system running -- without success. He's got the system and its satellites communicating with each other in their own network, he just can't get them on speaking terms with our network. If we knew what we were doing it would sure help. :eek:

He'll keep trying, but UGH!

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

My big excitement for today was finding Lysol Wipes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the IGA. Have not seen them there, nor anywhere else, in 6 weeks. And, there was a selection of Lysol, Clorox and different size containers. I opted for the 80 ct mango/ papaya scented Lysol wipes for $6.99. My friend texted me that her son saw them and she knew I wanted some, so I texted her the pic of the container I purchased. She laughed!!!

3. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

*Yesterday's meals were leftovers all day.... Leftovers again for lunch today.

*Dinner today: honey mustard pork chops, tator rounds, tossed salad.

Pretty much doing nothing other than walks, house chores, and youtube watching. What else can anyone do? Best to stay home and stay healthy ....

4. Gardencook

Pretty productive day today overall -- other than fighting tooth-and-nail with my computer which STILL isn't fixed. :(

Microsoft REALLY did a number on it with that February Cumulative Update which caused computers to shutdown without notice claiming they were overheating! The updates since then have only made matters worse.

Whenever I start having problems, all I have to do is look online and find the exact problems I'm having connected with multiple computers after the latest Microsoft Update -- and the articles always point out that Microsoft won't admit it is happening. :mad:

We were low on some produce items again, so DH went shopping and picked up Taco Bell drive-thru on the way home. He picked up markdown luncheon meat and greens as well as a few sale items and some cottage cheese to do a SB in-store offer. I've been sidetracked the past several months, so haven't ever done one. Hope it goes off without a hitch.

He even found the whole wheat hot dog buns we've been trying to find in stock for the past week. Those will go with the hot dogs we got on markdown last week.

Last night before bed, we put the carcasses from last week's rotisserie chickens -- which we'd put in the freezer -- in the Crock-pot with veggies. It has been simmering away all day to make a nice pot of bone broth.

Today I put together a couple loaves of Cornmeal Molasses Bread while DH was shopping. It was rising in the pans by the time he got home and it is now cooling. The loaves turned out gorgeous!

He is currently scanning receipts from the cottage cheese and a couple packs of beer we bought for a B1G1 rebate deal we purchased the other day.

Still hoping to get some cookies in the oven before bed tonight.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  5. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Today we are going to sign off on our tax returns and will do some shopping on our way back. After daycare tomorrow I leave to go and stay with my parents for a week. I hope the girls and Crankie survive each other. In the midst of all this, Crankie is having a storage garage built in our yard and had to get an emergency waiver just to get the framing finished. The only peace of mind I have is that I will be getting paid while I am at my parents.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Sherri1480, Cathy, KmmCo and 2 others like this.
  6. KmmCo

* Yesterday was tacos for lunch. Dinner - baked chicken, chicken flavored rice, and baked beans. Lunch today was "breakfast" - sausage and eggs and cereal.

DH is attemping to fix the ignitor on our gas oven. He had to do that a few years ago too. It seems to be a week point. Right now he is checking on where he can get the part...

I will probably do a big salad for dinner tonight with some of the leftover baked chicken. I can either heat the chicken in the microwave or just eat it cold on top the salad.... or else dinner tonight might end up being some takeout food.

I will thaw some pork roast for the crockpot tomorrow, just in case he is still working on on the stove then! We can finish off the baked beans with the pork.

One again, nothing exciting going on here. The stay at home order will be expiring next Sunday, but the state is still discussing occupancy with the restaruants and some of them said they won't bother to open if it is only 50%. We will see what happens then I guess.... Anyway, I will be glad to see the outdoor spaces like parks being more available soon. (right now all the parking is blocked off, so you can walk into the local parks but not go to anyplace futher away that requires using the parking lots.) I want to go to IKEA for a couple of things too and of course they are closed right now....

There is still no housekeeping at my mountain condo or rentals until June 1. I really don't want to stay overnight and mess the place up if they are not going to clean it afterwards! My son wanted to go up too and I told him not right now - maybe toward the end of May....

*I am still just waiting to see if Canadian border opens on May 21. I might be able to get through as essential travel with a note from my employer, but that is iffy and at the mercy of whichever border agent is working that day. I would rather just have the border open. I hate to have to call up the new job location and try to delay it again....:(. They are letting people with Alaska drivers licences thru, but I can't go fly up and do that if I don't have an address (even if the DMV opens there and the quarantine restriction is lifted....).

Sherri1480, jastwins and jcdamomma like this.
  7. KmmCo

Stove part = $50. Ouch. Better than having to buy a new stove though... Gives DH a hobby for a day to do the repair... I had to go pick the part up, since the appliance shop closes before DH gets off work.... I stopped into Costco on the way home and got part of my shopping list. 2 dozen eggs, bananas, coffee for the guys, and a few snacks came to $33. Not sure how thoose ice cream bars fell into the cart!

I have 3 more items on my shopping list to pick up at the regular store, but I may wait till Friday to go there...

8. Gardencook

So, I had a bunch of coupons/offers that were piling up because they were going to be too confusing if I sent DH. We also had nearly $13 in quarterly rewards from our main grocery store that were going to expire in two days. I've been holding onto them, because I figured they might confuse DH, as well. However, I hadn't been inside that store since February! :eek:

First store, was supposed to be an easy couple SB rebates with a few other groceries.

DH lost the Scunci elastic on his face mask and ended up holding it over his face -- not a good start. o_O

As usually happens with "social distancing" there seemed to be someone standing in front of just about everything I needed, blocking it.

I'd planned to check fresh parsley prices, but couldn't get anywhere near the stuff and just opted to pay whatever our regular store was asking. We've got some boxed tabbouli kits that could use a little doctoring.

DH found some markdown fresh mint the other day -- something he couldn't find for weeks when we planned to pay full price and we had cucumbers and peppers on hand. All we needed was parsley and a couple fresh tomatoes.

Had to do two transactions for the two rebate offers. I put the first receipt in my wallet to protect it, but apparently the clerk put the second one in the bag without me noticing.

We're under a wind advisory and it is nasty out there. Got to the exit doors and someone several feet in front of us hit the outside door before us. WHOOSH! The receipt I needed for the rebate went flying out of the bag and there was NO recovering it.

DH worked with the gal in customer service and we were finally able to get a new receipt -- but what a hassle! However, we really didn't want to lose an $8 rebate.

After a swing by home to pick up another hair elastic for DH's mask, he decided to put a couple in his wallet and then found the one he'd lost in the car.

We made a quick stop at our little discount store where we hadn't shopped in months. Wasn't sure they'd have any left, but I was hoping to find some mouthwash. We weren't yet out, but were getting a bit lower than I was comfortable with since I knew we wouldn't be seeing mega sales for a while. :(

They didn't have a lot left, but we did get a decent deal on a couple bottles, including a very large bottle of Crest. They also had a bag of spelt flour and a few other items -- including a bag of miniature candy bars that apparently hopped into our cart just like the ice cream bars did for @KmmCo.

That store hasn't banned reusable bags and offers 25 cents off your purchase for each one purchased at that store and used to bag your groceries.

We brought three bags into the store and the order easily needed two of them, but the clerk was new and was determined we weren't going to get 50 cents off our order instead of 25. She crammed everything into one bag until I feared it would break. :oops:

Last stop was our main grocery. Where we used several free coupons, a high value printable on lotion, a B1G1 digital that was about to expire and another printable coupon that made some yogurt an excellent deal.

We picked up some produce that was on our list and found a few discounts along the way including a couple salad kits, some beef summer sausage, whole wheat bread and some prepared chicken fajita meat I'd never seen before.

One of the free coupons didn't ring in correctly, and the clerk -- who is really good and one of our favorites -- hit the wrong button and voided all our purchases. She was really overheated from standing behind the register in a mask all day and felt really badly about her mistake, but that took extra time while she had to create a new receipt for all our purchases.

At least we got our quarterly rewards used before they expired, but I was completely beat by the time I got to the car and was glad I'd had the foresight to pick up cold beverages at the discount store. I still had half a bottle of water waiting for me in the car.

The weather has been too poor to get out walking on our hilly sidewalks and without my usual shopping trips I'm really getting out of shape!

Thankfully, we had leftovers on hand for tonight's dinner or I probably would have wanted fast food.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  9. KmmCo

@Gardencook We got your wind right at bedtime last night! It brought a bit of rain in today - better than snow at least!

I braved Kroger today because there were some things my son wanted that I could not get at Costco. I found some hamburger again for $1 a pound so I grabbed 4 of them....

*I ate the leftover pork and beans for lunch today. DS had some chicken and rice that was still left. Not sure what DH ate.... we were done eating by the time he decided to go rumage through the fridge.

*Tonight I made spahetti with one pound of the hamburger. I picked up a markdown veggie party tray and we opened that up too to snack on. I have been finding those party trays for cheap because of course no one is having parties. I just use up the veggies for meals since they are cut up so nicely. We did open the dressing tonight, but I have extras in the fridge from the last couple of times that I bought the trays..... It is the Hidden Valley, which I usually don't buy because of it being more expensive.

For lunch tomorrow, I am going to do nachos with a can of cheese sauce that I bought today. I bought some rotel, but instead of using it I will probably just do some green chilis that I already have instead. I will pull out some of the pinto beans from the freezer and dress it up with some fresh green onion, black olives, and a little fresh tomato. Dinner will be more hamburger - probably a hamburger helper type meal.

On the wierd side Colorado state is dropping the stay at home order next Monday, but my city is keeping one on until May 8. Now keep in mind that across the main street a mile away is another city butting against ours and they will be opening stores sooner. Were do you think everyone in my neighborhood will be? My haircut place is over there on that side of the street. So is the nearest Starbucks, the thrift stores, and a big gym/health club! One of my work friends was talking about going to a sit down restaurant in the next county over from him because they are opening up with no occupancy restrictions on Monday. Not sure how that keeps anyone safer if they are just jumping in their cars and going somewhere nearby - no logic in that at all.....

10. KmmCo

I ended up cooking more taco meat on Sunday with a package of the hamburger. The last hamburger package went into the freezer for next week....

Yesterday I made a crockpot chicken meal that I saw on youtube - layer seasoned chicken, stuffing mix, a sauce made with cream of chicken soup and sour cream, and frozen veggies on top. It came out really good and I will definitely make it again sometime.

Today, I put some older packages of diced pork in the crockpot with some crockpot sauce I had bought a while back. Apple burbon BBQ flavor. I will use it to make pulled pork sandwiches for dinner tonight. I had the diced pork in the freezer for a long time and never used it for stirfry like I had intended. I have had no luck finding pork roasts lately at the store and have been really wanting pulled pork sandwiches for some reason. Anyway, the last of the "old" pork is out of the chest freezer now. Everything in there is fresh meat that has been purchased within the last couple of weeks....

*I still have a lot of odd and end leftovers to try and use up but most of them are in the upstairs fridge. I really need to get it cleaned out and organized now. Next weeks project is what I am guessing that will be.....

The house is getting warmer and I am tired of cooking, so I think the crockpot meals were a good choice for a couple of days. (I just had a cold chicken salad sandwich for lunch today. DS ate the rest of the leftover crockpot chicken. I saved all the leftover taco meat for DH to use up over the next couple of days since he likes that.)

Went to Costco today for buns and came home with $75 worth of stuff.... I got a few things to throw in the freezer like frozen pizzas, a 4-pack of hebrew dogs, a couple bags of garlic chicken skillet meal, and more chicken breast packages. I also got some chips and nuts for snacking...

Thursday, I am going to make grilled hotdogs if DH will go fill the propane for the grill.... I will have to go get hot dog buns at the regular store, but I will need milk and eggs again by then anyway.... I am hoping that that large package of hamburger buns still has a few left on Friday. If so, I can do grilled hamburger patties from the freezer for lunch - another easy meal.

Now that is looks like it is getting closer to the thrift store opening, I got a bag of donation items started again. I really am finding some odd stuff that needs to go! DH filled up the trash bin with a lot of yard waste and miscellaneous junk. The recycle bin is full of stuff too. It mainly seems like a lot of cardboard from boxes that ended up here after shopping at Costco. Cooking at home more is also contributing a lot of packaging to the recycle too. We really only ate out once or twice a week, but it does make a difference in the amount of trash. I have been cleaning out old mail and papers from the office too as I can....

Cathy, Sherri1480, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  11. Gardencook

Well, finally what looks like good news to report -- although I'm afraid to speak too soon, because it is a slim chance it will fix ALL our problems.

DH was having no problem with the conference call software he uses until COVID-19 hit. Since then, everything has been garbled with no fix in sight.

We've tried turning off EVERYTHING in the house that might drain Internet speed including phones, my computer and Rokus and people still get a garbled transmission from DH.

We don't seem to be the only ones having problems. Last week, the governor tried some sort of secure conference calling system to hold a virtual press conference and it was a DISASTER. Then today I tried to tune into the president's round-table conference on ABC's livestream on Facebook. The signal kept cutting out and every few seconds we'd see a poor anchor at the ABC headquarters desk -- half the time he didn't know he was on camera. :eek:

I guess if the governor, the White House and ABC can't get a decent live feed right now, I shouldn't be surprised little guys like us are having problems.

We've gotten two new modems from Century Link. Neither of them helped. We've got slow Internet in Idaho, which is a well-known fact, but the phone company is now trying to stiff-arm us into an expensive package with pay t.v. in order to get faster Internet.

Meanwhile, Microsoft keeps downloading defective updates to our computers. Mine finally got so bad we had to take it to a technician, who confirmed it was Microsoft updates which had corrupted my operating system. However without asking, the technicians downloaded a bunch of security features which seemed to conflict with Microsoft Windows Defender and we had to uninstall them before my computer would work once we finally got it home.

Then when I FINALLY got it running decently again, Microsoft downloaded another update and things have been a nightmare ever since -- including more defective updates. :mad:

I've got one listed as "optional" awaiting installation right now, but I've checked and it is another with bugs so I'm not touching it. However, as has happened in the past, soon Microsoft will move it from "optional" to mandatory and will install it without asking. I can only pray they get the bugs fixed before they do that!

Meanwhile, Microsoft recently downloaded a defective update onto DH's computer which literally "broke" his Chrome browser! Chrome is the browser he MUST use with his conference call software. He had to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it to get the browser working again, however, people were still having a hard time hearing him on conference calls after that. We still don't know if that defective update is the cause.

So we found out about Web Mesh systems which strengthen the Internet signal within your home. Decided we'd have to try one -- only to learn that apparently MANY others in the nation were having the same problem. They were all sold out at Walmart all over this side of the state within the day or so it took us to research them! Amazon was so swamped with shipping to medical facilities, it said it would venture a guess as to how long it would take to deliver and QVC wasn't offering a timeline either.

I desperately scanned the Internet and discovered our one remaining office supply store had it in stock -- for $30 to $40 more than online options. We bit the bullet and paid the higher price.

Then DH kept hitting a brick wall trying to install it. We had the Net Mesh Internet system up and running in our house and all the satellites were communicating with each other. We just couldn't the two networks we now had running within our house to speak to each other!

So while, DH stumbled along watching every Youtube video he could find and trying every new thing he could think of, I noticed a banner ad one day and realized the office supply store had put the system we purchased on sale for $30 less than we paid.

I told DH he'd better call and see if they would honor the sale price and happily they had a 30-day price policy so were quite cheerful about giving him back the extra money we paid.

When he went to get our refund the clerk had to call the manager for authorization and he asked how we liked the system. DH explained he hadn't been able to get it set up yet. The manager seemed pretty up on them and actually suggested the fix that finally worked.

It turned out DH had to use the phone company Ethernet cable to connect the new router to the modem instead of using the one that came with the Net mesh system -- which the instructions told him to use. The manager also suggested using another of the provided plug holes, which DH also did.

So we now have both computers connected to the new Net mesh system. We're hoping that solves some of the problems on them. Meanwhile, I just spent quite a bit of time in the bedroom testing the Roku on that television.

It worked okay with occasional hiccups or sputters before COVID-19, but it was COMPLETELY useless once stay-at-home orders were issued.

Now that we have the new Net mesh system I experimented with several different movie/channel options and then tried watching a program for more than a half an hour without a single hiccup. It appears the Net mesh is working and we now have a much stronger signal throughout the house -- including the bedroom which is the far corner of the house from where the phone company forced us to move our modem!

And in the end, the system didn't cost us more than we would have paid had we ordered it online and paid shipping. What is more since we bought locally, DH finally got to speak to someone who could give valid advice on how to get the thing set up properly! We wouldn't have gotten that VERY valuable advice had we purchased online.

Why do we need to be computer technicians to survive in this world? I've learned more through bare necessity than I ever cared to learn. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  12. Sherri1480

Sherri1480 Active Member Trader Group

@Gardencook Have you ever considered a Mac computer? I know they are expensive but you may not have the issues that you have with Microsoft.

jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  13. KmmCo

The boys were fixing individual pizzas last night when I came home from work, so I had them make me a cheese pizza for dinner. (Yes, the houseguest is still coming and going! I had not seen him for a few days but he was back last night.)

My lunch was chicken salad with crackers and a cheese/dried fruit/nut snack package. I got those at Costco - 16 in the box for $6 - nice little "to go" snacks. My carpooler got KFC and came back to the breakroom to eat it before we went out seperate ways at lunchtime. There was one other guy in the breakroom, but he "socially distanced" and didn't come talk to us. Usually there are 20+ people in there on any given day during "normal" times. I walked outside for a short time just to see what the weather was doing, but didn't get any real exercise. Since we are now wearing masks at work, it was nice just to get out and breath fresh air for a while. (Appearently the masks finally came in right after my last work day two weeks ago. None of us are worried about them, but the city wants us to wear them anytime the public is around. For us, that is most of our work day! April 8 was the very last that any of our Covid infected coworkers worked, but I guess you never know what the public can bring into the building or who got exposed outside of work .....)

*We did a food drive for those in our building that helped us out during the gov't shutdown and are now suffering from reduced hours. I took in some cup-of-soups and when I dropped them off the tables were overflowing with stuff that will be given out today. I think everyone brought stuff because we are still so grateful for those that brought us sandwiches and pizzas. I talked to one lady and she said she was down to 2 days of work a week. Unlike me, she is not getting paid for her extra days off from her company....

DH is still in his PJ's, but we have got a plan to do a return at the hardware store in a bit. We will also fill the propane and go grab the hotdog buns in the same trip out of the house.... We got a huge mound of trash out last night since it was overflow pick up this morning - glad all that is out of here. When I came home last night from work, the whole block had tons of "junk" out on the curb, so I am sure the trash guys were not happy this morning.

By the way folks please take this virus seriously. I just learned that a guy I worked with a few years ago died recently. He was only a couple of years older than me and pretty healthy really when I knew him. Even if your state is "open" , I recommend keeping up the social distancing, handwashing, and disinfecting up for a long time just to keep yourself and your family safe..... No need for paranoia, but just use a little common sense in what you do.....

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  14. Gardencook

Not until the past couple years, but we're seriously considering Mac now. Unfortunately, we don't have a dealer locally. The closest would be Best Buy an hour away and then every time we had problems we'd have to drive all that distance to the "Geek Squad."

This dealing with technicians in foreign countries who don't fix anything is bunk and we need someone who KNOWS something to rely on when we've got problems instead of wasting hours of our time on the phone without fixing anything.

Best Buy isn't doing all that well on a national level and despite the fact that computer technicians are considered an "essential" business, the corporation still made the decision to close all its technical departments during COVID-19. That doesn't bode well for its future. :( I would have been stuck a couple weeks ago -- when we weren't supposed to be leaving town anyway.

We've been with Microsoft since our first computer -- a Windows 95. Even though my husband is a journalist, we were one of the first families in the newsroom to plunk down the money and buy a PC.

While we've both worked on Macs on jobs, we've always done well enough with PCs that we've bought them for home use. However, the past several years with Microsoft have been ABSOLUTE torture.

It seems like once they download a defective update it is like dominoes and the defective updates they download after that one just keep the downward momentum going. It seems that EVERY single week the tech magazines are reporting another buggy update wreaking havoc and my computer seems to get all of them. :mad:

15. Gardencook

Well, I finally got the answer to the woes of the past 16 hours or so. It is ridiculous when you've got to become your own private investigator to figure out if it is "just Microsoft" or if your machine is fried.

Early last evening my problems seemed to vanish for hours and I was able to stream a three-hour stage opera -- full-screen -- without any problems whatsoever, even though I took several long breaks where the video was paused. There was NO sign of overheating.

I shut the computer down after that, but when I rebooted it started acting up REALLY badly again around 11 p.m.

It shut down without warning a couple times late last night and a couple more times this morning.

After the shutdown without warning at about 11:30 a.m. I checked the settings and noticed that Microsoft claimed my computer was up to date and it had last checked for updates at 10:09 a.m. It claimed I needed NO updates.

I've been noticing this trend on a daily basis for quite a while now. My computer shuts down without warning numerous times many days and after one of the shutdowns virtually every single day when I check the settings it will claim it last checked for updates about an hour and a half earlier -- not when the computer actually shut down.

Apparently, whenever Microsoft checks for updates it shuts down my computer and then claims it "overheated" even though the computer is not hot and the technician found no evidence it was doing so. That started with the February Cumulative update and many people have been having the same problem from the same update.

I honestly think that even though I've got my computer set for Mountain Time Zone and the time in the corner of the screen agrees, that the settings are running on more than one different time zone and that is the time listed on the updates.

Since Microsoft is based in Seattle (Pacific Time Zone) which is one hour behind us, the hour and a half discrepancy seems like the time that is registering might be Pacific instead of Mountain.

My computer is only SUPPOSED to be running updates during the evening hours NOT business hours, but it does them 24-hours a day despite that.

I sometimes wonder if the computer is confused about the time zones in India/Pakistan and perhaps installs updates from there. On those it sometimes gives times that are hours different from when they actually seemed to happen.

Can you believe a big worldwide tech company like Microsoft can't get a handle on time zones? It sounds ridiculous!

Even though my computer was supposedly up to date at 10:09 a.m. this morning, when my computer had to be rebooted today at about 1 p.m. (Chrome became COMPLETELY unresponsive and I got nothing but a white screen on Edge -- Microsoft's own browser!) -- I checked the settings and noticed that Microsoft installed another driver update.

That update WAS NOT showing on my dashboard at 11:30 a.m. when I checked after another abrupt shutdown and the computer claimed at 10:09 it needed NO updates. That driver update is apparently what has been fouling up my computer for the past 16 hours or so.

Now my computer is behaving like a normal computer again without any lags, sluggishness and so far, no shutdowns.

I have learned through all this nightmare that Microsoft does most of its update installations on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I always dread those two days.

However, I've also learned that they start downloading the updates LONG before that so no day is safe. Only a short while after your computer starts behaving normally from one update, they start downloading the next to get ready for installation.

If it is a relatively small update they might start working the day before, but if it is their BIG monthly updates they start downloading DAYS before the installation actually happens. Believe me, I never had any desire to know THIS much about Microsoft updates in my life!

The monthly "Cumulative" updates are the big ones that have so much going on that they often wreak havoc, however, each quarter they release a MONSTER update that can really cause problems. The Fall 2018 was a DISASTER for many people and ultimately destroyed our last computers. However, they released a Cumulative update in February 2020 which seemed to be the downfall of this brand new computer -- and not surprisingly, caused tons of problems for other users, as well.

The smaller updates usually start with the letters "KB" followed by a bunch of numbers. Over the past several weeks Microsoft has issued several "KB" updates that had huge bugs -- including the one that "broke" my husband's Chrome Browser.

They will sometimes follow up with another "KB" patch update -- supposedly to fix the problems caused by the previous update, but the patch of the update that destroyed Chrome ended up causing even more problems than it fixed.

I've got a "KB" update sitting on my dashboard marked "optional" right now. However, I've checked the Internet and it is causing lots of problems for those who installed it so I haven't touched it. However, in the past those "optional" updates eventually move up to mandatory and Microsoft installs them the next time it "checks" for updates. :mad:

16. KmmCo

Friday lunch - leftover crockpot pork sandwiches. DS made a small batch of his cold kidney bean salad and we had some fruit as well. Dinner: DH made Hamburgers on the grill. Again mostly assorted fruit for the sides and some raw carrots and celery. I think the celery is all gone now....

Today I actually cooked a bit. Cinnamon rolls for breakfast, Individual flatbread pizzas for lunch, Nachos for dinner (with canned chili beans and jarred queso). I also made a spice cake with some cream cheese frosting.

A friend of mine started selling that $5 jewelry that they do as facebook live "parties" . I bought 2 bracelets from her yesterday that I liked. She will be mailing it to me on Monday. I know she has been buying the jewelry for a while and she decided to sell it just because she likes to wear it herself. Her first show was pretty good and I think she might make a little side money too... :) If this social distancing ever ends, then I can maybe go look at everything that she has at her apartment. Some of it was hard to get a good look at on the webcam. For $5 you can't go too wrong anyway.

I have chicken and hamburger thawing and will decide what to make when I get up in the morning.... I think the chicken will be for tomorrow and the hamburger on Monday.

Today has been overcast, then rainy, then true thunderstorms to finish the day off. I did get a good walk in before the rain started. Funny, but today seemed like just a normal Saturday as lots of people were doing stuff like yardwork or just sitting on their patios drinking beer.... Traffic is starting to pick up as people are getting out more.

DH went to a plant nursery to get some peppers for the garden and I had him grab the cheese for the nachos at Walmart on his way home. I was happy not to have to go shopping today.

My son decided that he is doing the garden this year and he tried to germinate a bunch of old seeds that we had here. Some of them sprouted and some not so much.... He planted a bunch of lettuce and bok choy - I am not sure what he is going to do with all that if it grows. Also, he had so many tomato plants that he gave a few away to the neighbors. He also got some cantalope started, but I have not had good luck with those here. I think they take too much water to grow....

That is about the excitement of the day. I am trying to get a little house decluttering done each day. The kitchen is getting a bit more orgainized too. I really still need to get thru more of my clothing and fill a few more bags for the thrift store....

17. KmmCo

I ran into the store yesterday for eggs and bananas. $40 later I escaped the madness....

I actually found some good stuff. In produce they had a lot of .99 markdown bags. I grabbed two regular potato bags and one sweet potato bag. I also got a bag of misc citrus (oranges, mandrians, tangerines, etc) and a whole bag of lemons... There was a lot more available, but I didn't want to get too much as our fridge is pretty full and we can only eat so much at a time.

I also got meat! I found some beef roasts on sale for $3.99. I didn't see a limit sign so I got 3 smaller roasts of around 2 lbs each. I bought a marked down package of chicken wingettes. Two of the roasts went in the freezer and I will make the other one into a pot roast tonight with the onion soup mix in and oven bag. I will add the white and red potatoes from the produce bags, onion, celery, and carrots to make it a one pot meal.

I still have a lot of russet potato and sweet potato to keep for the next week or two.

* Yesterday for lunch, I made the chicken breasts from the freezer as shake and bake. I put some bbq rub on the wing pieces and baked them too. We had baked sweet potato and spring mix salad as a side. There was one white sweet potato in the bag and I baked it so that we could try it along with the regular orange ones. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the white one as it was not nearly as sweet as the orange ones, but it was fun to try something new.

*Diner yesterday: I made a sort of casserole out of the BBQ pork and the leftover baked beans in an attempt to get rid of it. I just layered those with some cornbread and cheese. It came out okay, but I had leftover BBQ pork still that went into the freezer for later.

*Lunch today leftover day. I am eating some leftover nacho stuff - chips, cheese, green onion, sour cream, and green chilis were what I could find to make my concoction today. My son grabbed leftover chicken wings and sweet potato, and a slice of cornbread. (The mix made to0 much for my 8X8 casserole, so I just threw the rest in a pie tin and cut it into wedges when it came out of the pan. I knew it would get eaten as a snack if I left it on the counter.)

I think there is enough chicken breast left for tomorrow's lunch. If not, there will be some of the roast left over for sure. I still have a pound of hamburger thawed in the fridge too for tomorow. We have been eating so much taco meat and hamburger helper that I need to do something else with it....

Frugal fail: I tossed a couple of things out of the pantry that I was afraid to eat. A soup can dated 2015 and a fry magic mix from 2012 that got shoved to the back somehow. I am glad that we kind of ate everything out of the pantry in Jan, Feb, March. Everything else is fresh stuff that I just bought this last month other than a few cookie/muffin/ dessert mixes from the holiday clearance sales.
    I will do a restock on a few items that I know the guys will eat while I am gone, like pasta and canned beans and corn. The freezer is good now with breakfast sausage, tons of pork chops, 10 lbs of hamburger, two roasts, and 7 packages of chicken breast. I think there is still a package of brats and a package of Italian sausage links from when I bought them on sale a couple of months ago.... Oh and 3 packages of Hebrew dogs that I just bought at Costco on my last trip. I pulled the last package of bacon out of the freezer and it will get eaten at some point this week for breakfast.

*Tomorrow, I am going to go though both the chest freezer and the one attached to the fidge and come up with some meals to get rid of the odd and end leftover stuff that went into them. I know there is stuff like cooked taco meat, turkey, beef broth, and other assorted odds and ends that I don't want to leave in there forever. I think taco soup will be on the menu for one meal and turkey pot pie for another. I think there are some odd and end bits of fish and shrimp too, so a seafood variety night might be a plan too.... I want the freezer partly empty, so that I can ship some salmon and halibut home from Alaska for the guys to eat. I got a price on overnighting the shipment and it wasn't cheap, but if I do catch anything I won't be able to eat it all myself........

18. KmmCo

DS and I sliced up the chicken breast leftovers and made nice salads to put it on top of - cold lunch for a nice warm day. There was a little brocoli and cauliflower left from the veggie tray. Celery, carrots, green onion, and diced tomato went on the spring salad mix. I put croutons and ranch on mine. I think DS added the last of a package of shredded cheese to his. I didn't bother because I would have had to open a new package of cheese...

DH is working on a new raised bed for gardening. We went and got some potting soil to add to it yesterday afternoon. The garden center at Lowe's hardware was pretty busy - everybody is doing outdoor projects now that the weather is nice! I had the wood for the raised beds in the garage for several years and this is just something we never had time to do. I feel better about doing so much of the cooking, dishes, laundry etc lately. It gives DH time to do a few of these projects....

I found a little shovel around waist high that I got for the van. It was a lot cheaper than the folding shovels for camping and it fit right in the corner where my camp chair is. I wanted one in case I need to shovel dirt on a campfire. I can't carry enough water to waste putting out fires,

I got the dishwasher unloaded from the load I ran after dinner last night. I also washed a bunch of the kitchen towels, dishclothes, potholders, etc. Since I had the celery and carrots out for lunch, I cut a few into celery and carrot sticks for snacking on. I straightened out the fridge too. My project this afternoon is what I told you yesterday about the freezer. If I make a list of stuff that I can make from the oddball leftovers, then it solves the "what's for dinner" issue for next week.

My friend had another jewelry show last night, but I did not buy anything else. I wanted her to know that I was supporting her efforts though. She is doing good. She made her money back for the original sales kit on the first show, then last night she sold most of the rest of the stuff she had on hand including a piece that she was wearing. :) She has already made an order for more jewelry so that she can do another show next weekend. She had a really good personality for selling and you can tell she really likes the jewelry, so I do wish her the best.... She got the stuff I bought the other day mailed first thing Monday, so I am looking forward to getting it soon.

19. Gardencook

The big news of the day was that our stimulus check arrived in the mail today. DH was on his way out the door to take advantage of a 10 percent discount day on groceries, so I signed and he deposited it on his way to the store.

Went through nearly half of a big pile of magazines over the weekend. I was working my way through them several months ago and was determined not to order more from rewards programs until I was caught up, however, AARP closed out its rewards program and I was left NO choice but to order a bunch more or get nothing.

Those started arriving while we were traveling last autumn and I haven't caught up since.

I've been trying to stay on top of my coupon inserts as well, making sure to clip and file them within a day or two of Sunday.

After I baked bread a week or so ago, we got a bunch of loaves on markdown so I didn't need to bake more. However, we were getting low and hadn't seen anything resembling a deal so I baked up a couple more loaves yesterday.

Spent a lot of time the past few nights working with Albertsons Monopoly tickets. It paid off in free items, but was tedious work with more on the horizon since we still haven't matched all the pieces we got yesterday when they were trying to clear out all their tickets by giving 10x the number.

20. KmmCo

We spent some more money today at the hardware store. Not as much as yesterday though, and it will still fit into the miscellaneous budget category for this month....

On the way back we stopped at Sams Club. Since we are in the buy meat as you see it mode, I grabbed a 10 lb bag of chicken breast to add to the freezer ($15). We didn't have anything thawed for dinner either so DH just grabbed a package of 6 pork chops and grilled 3 of them tonight for all of us. The other 3 will go in the freezer too. I also got frozen veggies, eggs, 2 loaves of bread, and OJ. Somehow a 4 pack of pilsbury cinnamon rolls ended up in the cart again too. DH did that one this time... He has been eating eggs for breakfast, but I guess we will have cinnamon rolls a few times in the next couple of weeks.

Dinner last night was a skillet concoction of hamburger ($1), beef rice-a-roni ($1), and canned corn (.50). It made a cheap one pot family dinner with leftovers. I thought it was bland even though I put black pepper and onion in the hamburger. I ended up putting a bunch of salsa 0n mine to eat it. This was the recipe on the back of the box. Not something I would make again unless I added in some kind of extra sauce to give it more flavor.

The only other outing that I need this week is to Safeway. They have butter for $1.88 so I am going to go grab a couple of those on Fri. I have been using a lot of butter in my baking lately. I made a box of sugar cookie mix last night and it took a whole stick of butter. Tomorrow I am going to make some lemon bars and I think that might take butter too....

Saturday the hair salons open here, but I am going to wait at least another week to see if I can make an appointment and avoid the initial mad rush..... I really needed a haircut last month!

Today was the usual dishes, cooking, etc. I did drop some more books at the little library box nearby. Got a walk in and got rid of some items too. I took a second walk right before dinner with DS and we got to talk a bit about the last of his school projects and his gardening. I am glad he is kind of getting over the "wants nothing to do with parents" stage. Maybe he is just bored because he can't see his friends. He did seem like he does want to come to AK to visit at some point - if I get there that is. Of course I would be paying for his plane ticket, so I hope he decides soon while the tickets are cheap.

*I had money left over from my paycheck, so I paid a bill that would have come out of the next check. That is one less for 2 weeks from now! I think there is about $30 left now after everything goes out this week, but I am just going to put that into savings since it is not enough to actually pay another bill. Little bits of saving helps out in the long run.

Moderators: KimShaw