Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I gassed up last night and ours had come down to $2.19 a gallon and I used .10 off per gallon as I was at the Kroger gas station. Have at least .40 left for a discount but will use it later this month on a week that is not a pay week.

Felt like I ran all past weekend for my family and just errands. Picked my winter coat up from the cleaners and it was $13!! :eek: Didn't have a choice, it had to be cleaned. I haven't seen a coupon for the cleaners in over a year ... :(

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  2. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

I started a Google Sheet to track my hustle earnings, so far for this year: $120. I've been doing reviews for Capterra (I found an ad on Facebook that was offering $5 per software review, up to 10 reviews), so that's a big part of my earnings. I'm opting for either paypal, Visa GC, or Amazon GC. I'm hoarding Amazon GC's for holidays- and I need a new pair of Birkenstocks- so I'm saving for those too.

Sherri1480, Cathy, Gardencook and 3 others like this.
  3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We ran into a couple stores yesterday before we headed for a concert out of town.

Had a few more digital coupons that teamed with the less-than-exciting mega sale we've been yawning over this time. However, I could get a 49 cent bottle of dish soap and a 29 cent bottle of body wash so needed a few more items to fill it out.

I found a digital coupon on house brand graham crackers that made them 99 cents, a coupon that made one box of Kleenex 79 cents and a coupon that made a couple boxes of tea $1.49 each. That got us to the six items needed.

They had some chicken salad and Waldorf salad on markdown and I'd just gotten a bonus coupon for $2 off a deli/bakery purchase so that worked out well.

Before that, we had a Big Lots rewards coupon to use by Sunday. This is Friends and Family weekend, so we needed to use that before the sale started.

We picked up quite a few odds and ends there. Biggest finds were potato chips on clearance for 50 cents a bag. DH found a watch for $3.50 which came down to less than $2.50 a/c and we also found him a pair of dress gloves for $5 after sale and coupon.

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  4. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

I am happy to report that I see a light at the end of the tunnel and will be caught up with all my payments for bills (no longer behind on the one that got away from me). Just looking forward to the day I can pay them all off. I follow Dave Ramsey on FB and really applaud the hard working people that pay off their debts and live debt free.

Today I printed $60 in gcs and coupons from emails that I received. I hope to save these and use them when I need them in the next couple of weeks.

Sherri1480, bugweena, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  5. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Dental stuff is done and I slept it off most of the afternoon.... My dinner tonight is pudding! (I only could have water for breakfast and missed lunch.) I should be okay to eat normal meals tomorrow.:) I tried to watch a video earlier and got an instant headache, so now I need to figure out what to do this evening. Maybe I will just go back to bed soon.....

* I had enough credit from some insurance payments that I did not owe any more money for today. I also have $13 left to go toward my next cleaning/treatment in March.... It turned out to be a good no spend day.

*Last night DS made tuna helper and corn from stuff in the house. I put the leftovers in the fridge and I am guessing he ate the rest today.

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  6. KmmCo

By the way, I found a nice Lands End winter coat at a thrift store yesterday. It was a pricey $19, but it was in really nice shape and had been dry cleaned already. I think I got a good deal as the retail is around $129 for this style. My coat that I wear to work right now is really getting faded and the zipper is hard to work, so I have been looking for a replacement for a while.... I have a nice "ski coat" that I don't take to work because I bought it new (on sale of course) and don't want to chance anything happening to it.

I also found a nice set of blackout curtains for my van for $7 to replace the blanket that I have up right now. I have been looking for a while for the short ones (63 inch). These are ones that sell at walmart for around $13- $15, so I saved a little over buying new....

7. KmmCo

Got my curtains up in the van and rearranged a few items this afternoon.... It was really nice outside today!
    I slept good last night and woke up feeling pretty good other then the bruised up hand from the IV needle - that is sore but my tooth/mouth feels fine....

*DH found a bunch of hamburger on sale yesterday. This morning, I packaged up 10 lbs for the freezer. Lunch today was spaghetti with meat sauce. I made 2 lbs into Chili tonight for dinner. I had plenty of stuff in the pantry to make both items. There was leftovers from both meals that made sack lunch containers for later.

I still have 2 lbs of hamburger in the fridge and will do a hamburger helper for lunch tomorrow. I am not sure what I will do for dinner. If I don't use the hamburger then I will stick that last pound in the freezer too...

Since I already scheduled a paid sick day off tomorrow, I am staying home and will try to get some more organizing and decluttering done in the house. I might do some baking tomorrow too. I have some frozen bread dough and think some freshly baked bread is sounding good. We only have a half loaf of bread left and I don't really want to go to the store for just that anyway.

8. Lori63

Lori63 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Comcast lowered my bill $50 and added Netflix. My diet/no spending resolutions are still going well-kind of intertwined. Catsitting this weekend. Had a foster for the weekend so heat got turned up a tiny bit but will go down when she leaves today. Have a great day!

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  9. jastwins

We had to take D2 to Brookly, NY for her next school semester. Instead of going abroad, she opted for a semester working in Manhattan 3 days and attending one class there. I believe it will look better on her resume to have more work experience than travel experience. However, the building where she is dormed does not provide meals, so her work money will go towards that. Let's hope she is frugal and luckily, her job at the NYSE will provide lunch when she is working.
    I bought d2 an unlimited metrocard so she can ride the NYC subway or buses for the next 30 days as many times as she needs. Goodbye $127.00 and i hope she buys the next one. At Century 21, a department store in NY, we spent $44 on bathroom necessities and she paid for the shower curtain, $10 after clearance price and 20% discount (origanal price $75). D2 loved this store and I am afraid she will shop there more than she should.
    At TRader Joes, we spent $35 on frozen foods and snacks so she will not starve. Luckily, she is going to visit my mom (aka free food at Grandma's) today and will use her unlimited metro card to get there by train, ferry and bus.
    I still have to buy D1 some snacks for school and will use some gift cards to help pay for it.

10. Gardencook

After seeing a discount movie this afternoon (60 cents OOP) we hit a couple stores before heading home.

The discount grocery was offering large 29-ounce cans of Libby's pumpkin puree for 50 cents each so I wanted to get some.

They had gotten in a load of Mission Tortillas last week and we found some cute little whole wheat street taco tortillas for 75 cents a package. I've never seen them in the grocery store, so couldn't resist. The size looked handier than traditional tortillas.

They also had pints of organic mint chip ice cream for 75 cents each.

After that, we went to our regular grocery store to get one last round of mega sale before it went off tonight. We hadn't picked up the five quarts of almond milk we could get for 24 cents each after coupon.

We were going to get a box of Minute Rice as our sixth item, but I discovered our store was charging more than sister stores so we bought a pouch of tuna instead.

I also had a few high value/rare digital coupons that paired well with sales.

We got a pack of shaved beef for $3.99 a/c and two boxes of Asian chicken entrees on B1g1 with a $1.50 best customer digital on the one we purchased. There was a good sale price on Sambucol and I had a $3 digital coupon so we bought that to have on hand with all the germs floating around.

Got a couple bottles of baby lotion for less than $2 each a/c and I blew it on another coupon (didn't reach the right purchase value) so we paid regular price on some Havarti -- which I haven't had in ages anyway. Not going to beat myself up considering the deals I do without making a mistake every week.

We got three greeting cards for a couple dollars after coupon and they had some markdowns on muffins which helped get us to $35 for another special coupon promotion.

Leftovers for dinner with a can of veggies were about as reasonably priced as you can go on dinner.

11. jastwins

Yesterday I was able to work 2 games as a chaperone and had 3 kids for detention duty before the game. I covered a detention duty for a co-worker last week and I am happy they pay us $60/hr for detention duty . Tomorrow’s game is another Timesheet I can submit. Since the next check will be a nine day check, I am happy to submit the extra timesheets.

12. Gardencook

DH went to some meetings at the university today. While he was gone I caught up on coupons and FINALLY got around to looking at today's grocery ads online. I realized that the store across town had 25 cent burritos and he was already on that side of town.

He was in a large exhibition hall without cell phone reception when I called, but I did leave a message which he heard when he got to the parking lot.

He picked up the burritos on his way home, saving the gas to drive over there for them later.

Meanwhile, I waded through the grocery ads and matched ads with coupons for items we might want to pick up this week.

We already had food on hand for tonight's dinner, so aside from the burritos he picked up it was a no-spend day.

13. KmmCo

*Worked an 8 hour OT shift yesterday afternoon/evening. It kind of a last minute plan, so I didn't have food planned. I ended up picking up a mini-pizza before work for lunch and just putting together a peanut butter sandwich and some fruit for dinner in my sack lunch.....

OT is becoming rarer at work so I grabbed it while I could. Even after gas, parking fees, and taxes: I should have an extra $200 in my pocket on one of my Feb paychecks. (my carpooler refused to come in on day off so I had to drive myself...)

*While I was gone DH managed to stuff the recycle bin even more and still had an extra kitchen bag of trash to go out when I got home. Decluttering is catching on around this house!

I was glad I had a later shift for my day off as I managed to get some laundry washed and a few odds and ends done in the house yesterday morning before going to work. Today will be grocery shopping day, though I don't need a lot. I did empty the last of the peanut butter though and need to pick up a big jar of that....

14. jastwins

I thought I would be good until payday, but no, D1 had a prescription filled and I gave her $20 towards that. D2 had to rent a book and since she did not have her new debit card yet ( it arrived in the mail today), I used my card to pay $37 for the rental of the course book for her one class. This leaves me with about $50 bucks until payday at the end of the month. Luckily, I have no plans to go shopping until later next week. I am part of the group that will be planning the January employee breakfast and need to buy some items for that. I am just waiting to see if I can get some giftcards and cash out for paypal, amazon or walmart. I will also plan an Amazon prime delivery for next week.
    Fingers crossed that no other expenses surprise me!

15. Gardencook

The last couple weeks, the sales were nothing to write home about. We found a few items, but didn't need to stock up on a lot of things so it was actually a welcome breather. We had plenty of food on hand and didn't have to waste energy trying to put together a lot of complicated deals.

Then this week hit. WHAM! Now I'm trying to figure out what to buy and when to buy it. I've got deals on a ton of frozen foods I want and no freezer space. :eek:

Had to prioritize, so today we focused on the Friday/Saturday deals since we can still get the other deals Sunday or later when we've had time to eat through some of what we bought today and already had on hand.

I've got several rounds of mega sale I'd like to do this time around, but the sale just started and it is easier to break up those into one round each trip instead of doing four or five rounds at once and then trying to figure out the one elusive product that didn't credit as a mega sale item even though it was listed. :confused:

We got some more Seapak Beer Battered Cod ($3.99) and Farm Rich Mozzarella Sticks were $2.99 after insert and digital coupons.

Had problems with one of our Tyson Chicken items on the two-day deal. It was prominently placed with the participating items area of the freezer, but didn't register as such on the receipt. Had a bit of a fuss at the customer service desk. Hope that doesn't become a habit, because this store has been good in the past.

Dealt with a supervisor, but I got the impression she was tired of me. Considering the LARGE number of digital coupons we use without problems, I REALLY don't think going to the customer service desk once or twice every week or two for the odd coupon that doesn't work is unreasonable -- considering that is what she is hired to do. At least 95 to 99 percent of the coupons we use aren't anything we need to complain about -- and we don't. She just doesn't realize how many we actually use in a typical week.

Basically she kept telling me I would have known that the item they had marked as participating wasn't included if I had checked the app, and even though I told her at least three times that we don't have the app and have to rely on shelf tags, she didn't want to hear it. :rolleyes:

And speaking of apps ...

I bought myself a phone that should be able to handle apps hoping to get it running last autumn -- when I really wanted the phone for our trip. I ran into a problem and DH was too busy to help me get unstuck at the time and by the time the trip was over I had bad feelings about activating the phone.

His phone was older and the battery was going. You can't replace the battery on it. Meanwhile, we kept seeing things on the Internet about Tracfone updating its service so older phones would no longer work ...

Long story short, I just never got motivated to agree to a second phone service/number charge when I'd hardly ever use the phone. I'm not one of those people who wants to jabber all through the store driving other customers crazy by my inattentiveness -- I'm concentrating too hard on my coupon offers.

We still have a landline, because DH needs it for work -- and we have unlimited long distance on it. Virtually all my calls are made at home.

Since DH and I are almost always together when I shop, I can use his phone any time I need it and the only time I really want a phone to make calls is if we are traveling or he has an out-of-town meeting and I want to update him on something. I really had a hard time justifying the expense when I'd only use apps and rarely make a phone call.

Yesterday, he awakened to a message from Tracfone that his phone was no longer compatible and he is required to upgrade. They've got a couple different options to offset some of the cost and we could get a pretty good price after a $50 discount if we bought him a new phone like the one I haven't yet activated, but after talking it over I think we've concluded that we really wouldn't get enough good from paying for a second phone.

He'll simply take the phone I planned to activate for myself. Tracfone is supposed to send us a $15 gift card when he does that and I'll stick the apps I need on it.

We'll probably be together when I need to use them anyway and he won't have to order a phone and wait a couple weeks for it to arrive from Tracfone, Walmart or Amazon.

Another option would have been to make a mad dash to Best Buy an hour away to purchase whatever phone they happened to have in stock -- without researching whether it was the phone we needed beforehand. That sounded like a huge hassle, but would have gotten him a phone quicker. Right now he has NO cell phone service whatsoever -- just a whole bunch of unused minutes on an active plan.

At least I did the research on "my" phone last autumn and we concluded it had the most "bang for the buck" at the time so it will definitely be an upgrade from what he's been carrying -- even if they've brought out another we like since then.

In my gut I kind of had a feeling that is what would happen. That's why I opted not to order the pretty pink flowered case that would have been my preference had I known FOR SURE that I'd be the only one using it. :p

When I showed him the selection of five cases I had to choose from, he said I'd ordered the one he would have chosen anyway.

While a Tracfone really isn't that expensive, not getting a second phone will still save us at least $100 a year for a phone I'd rarely use -- and I'll still FINALLY be able to get a few apps loaded on a phone, which is the major thing I've been missing anyway.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  16. KmmCo

My big excitement of the day yesterday was a haircut and a quick look in the thrift store....

*I have a 29 inch space blank space in the van and was looking for a storage bench/seat of some sort to put there. Most of the stuff I found in stores and online were too big (and too expensive). Yesterday I spotted a kids wood toy box at the thrift store but did not have a measuring tape with me! I went back this morning and after looking at it decided it would not work. I spied a little industrial looking work bench though that I measured and it was perfect! It is a little taller than a normal seating bench - about waist high - but I can still sit on it if I put my feet on the support railing that goes around it. I have more room for storage under it than the toy box would have given me and it is super sturdy. The top was a little yucky looking, but I cleaned it and gave it a quick sanding to smooth it out. I decided not to even paint it or anything right now. I will be able to use it as a work bench in my temporary apartment when I get some furniture that needs repaired, painted, etc. :D The best deal was the price - it was a half off tag so I only paid $5 for it.....

*At walmart yesterday, I found some flatbreads in the deli pizza section that were marked down to $3.70 (from $5). I got two of them for a quick lunch. We each ate half of one plus salad, so there was a half left that DS had for lunch today.

*Dinner last night: I found a small markdown pork roast ($2.70) that we baked along with some potatoes. It gave 5 servings so I packaged one for my sack lunch and one for DS to eat later.

*Today's lunch: DH and I had chicken fajita tacos from stuff in the house. I wanted fajitas but I had a box of taco shells sitting here that I needed to use up - hence the fajita tacos. I made some Spanish rice for the side... I had enough left over to make up a sack lunch in the form of a rice bowl and still leave some fajita meat in the fridge for someone else to have later.

*Dinner tonight: hamburger is thawing for Hamburger helper. I am making 2 side veggies so that I have extras for the other thing I am cooking for my work lunches. I found a package of chicken wingettes for $1.12 at the regular store yesterday. It had enough for me to divide into two for the other 2 work lunches for myself (I am baking them with a Hawaiian BBQ sauce that we had in the fridge already.) I will leave the rest of the hamburger helper for DS to eat later this week.

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  17. KmmCo

The starving son came home and ate half my chicken wings while they were cooling on a plate! I managed to put the other half in a container for one lunch. He didn't eat as much of the hamburger helper for dinner as he usually does, so I ended up with a container of that for the 4th lunch.... At least I have 4 different lunches for work this week. Sometimes I get tired of eating the same thing for 4 days in a row, so I guess he helped me out with meal boredom..... :D

18. Gardencook

Our third Super Bowl coupon turned out to be 25 percent off produce -- up to a $4 maximum.

While it is a very welcome deal, I cringed a bit when it arrived. The purchase period for the promotion ends today, so I was afraid if I didn't load it today it might not be available later even though the coupon doesn't expire until February 2.

It should make a nice discount on $16 worth of produce, however, if we forget and buy ANYTHING in the produce department before we are ready to use it, the discount will come off it -- even if we only buy an item for a dollar or less. :eek: Guess we're going to be buying produce in the next day or two ...

We've been enjoying history documentaries on Roku the past few nights. Then when I checked the television schedule tonight I noticed PBS had a Count Basie special followed by the U.S. Air Force Band performing a Glen Miller Celebration. Free Entertainment!

The military bands used to make regular visits here and we always enjoyed the high quality entertainment -- everything from classical, to big band music, patriotic concerts and marches, jazz and even occasional pop. We haven't heard of one of those concerts in many years now. They were sponsored by local businesses and tickets were free to the public, so I suppose no one coughs up the money to bring them here any longer. :(

The televised Glen Miller Concert reminds us of those days. The Air Force Band is always accompanied by the "Singing Sergeants" and we heard them live here in one of the concerts years ago.

19. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

DH changed the spark plugs in our commuter car yesterday. I went to the goodwill but didn't find anything I thought we 'needed.' I've been looking for a waterproof/water resistant jacket but so far haven't found one I like in my size.

I bought deli meat and will get back purchase price in a rebate. I got marked down sub rolls from Walmart so we had sub sandwiches for lunch. Frozen pizza for dinner for which I also used the receipt for a rebate.

On Friday I hit the Food Lion meat mark downs at a great time. I purchased a lot of hamburger meat (85 and 93%) and packed them to put in freezer. I will also be using my receipt for a small rebate.

I love living in a NBPR (no beer purchase required state)! Sometimes rebates are few and far between but when I do find them they are usually on products I would buy anyway.

Filled the commuter car with gas yesterday and use $.10/gallon fuel points. Need to put gas in our other car (SUV) so I will use the remaining points this week as they expire monthly.

Going to make a keto broccoli cheese casserole for dinner since broccoli was on sale this week. My SIL and BIL are doing the keto diet and she posted the recipe on FB. It looked great.

20. Gardencook

We hit three stores this afternoon to take advantage of sales that were going off tonight.

The produce coupon I was so looking forward to turned out to be a dud. In December they had a similar digital coupon which took 25 percent off ALL your produce purchases for one day -- no limit -- which means the registers have the ability to do the calculations on more than one item.

This coupon had a limit of $4. Since $4 is 25 percent of $16, I thought it would take that amount off the first $16 worth of produce. We bought quite a bit more than that, but the computer only took 25 percent off one single item -- red grapes for a savings of only 62 cents. :(

When was the last time I spent $16 on ONE single item in the produce department of that store -- most likely NEVER. :confused: It isn't like they sell cases of grapefruit/berries like the independent grocer gets in on special occasions.

After that, we hit the store across town for a free bag of CLIF Granola and picked up 25 cent burritos while we were there. I had enough reward points from last month that were about to expire to load for an additional $1 off a grocery purchase, so we ended up with 20 burritos and a bag of granola for a little more than $4 with tax. I had hoped to find some other bargains, but nothing struck my fancy. Guess I just wasn't in the mood. :p

Final stop we needed to pick up some egg rolls that were going off sale tonight. I had a digital coupon that made them $1.27 a box.

Did a couple rounds of mega sale since they had the free hot sauce in stock and it was a mega sale item. Now I wish I hadn't because there was a fuel reward promo waiting in my e-mail box when we got home and we would have been better off waiting. Oh well! :rolleyes:

Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.
Moderators: KimShaw