Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. MEN ON A BUDGET

MEN ON A BUDGET Member

I am over the top excited to announce that I am on day fourteen without nicotine... after close to fifty years of cigarette smoking!!!

M_Lexx, Sherri1480, KmmCo and 2 others like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

You are doing awesome... Keep up the great work!

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  3. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Just realized I have not posted since DS left town! I have been eating leftovers/planovers since he left. I did make everyone mad at work for taking the leftover salmon on Friday - our breakroom is really small and it smelled fishy for a couple of days. Come on guys this is Alaska - you gotta love salmon right? Someone else had moose meat and that was not a big hit either though.)

Anyway, we did our bid for winter shifts and I got my Thurs, Fri, Sat that I wanted. I specifically wanted Sat because I want to attend the Iditarod start in March, but will enjoy some other weekend events too over the winter. I get Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years off too as a bonus. It helps me to keep in touch with DH too as Th,Fri, Sat are his days off work. Right now, I can only really talk to him on Thursdays as our schedules don't mesh. For the spring/summer bid I will probably go back to weekdays off.

*I am being creative with what is in the fridge for meals today and tomorrow. I had a sandwich for lunch today and I think I will do a stirfry/fried rice dish for dinner. Tomorrow I will use the last pita up for another flatbread pizza. I did put the majority of the ham lunchmeat that was left into the freezer. I just don't think I will use it all right away.

Either Wed night or Thursday, I am making a big batch of enchiladas for work meals. I have some taco meat in the freezer so some will be beef. I will make some cheese ones too for variety. I have canned refried beans and some spanish rice mix that I can make to go with the enchiladas.

Today was just laundry and chore time this morning. In a bit I might make an effort to get out and about for a while. DS ate a lot of my snacks, so I should go over to Costco at some point and get chips or something. Maybe I will get enthused to bake some sweets this week. We made banana nut muffins when he was here, but of course they were gone by the time he left on last Thursday.

It is fall for sure now and chilly enough for a light jacket. My heat even kicked on for a bit yesterday morning, I need to really start getting ready for the freeze up. I am told that once it hits 30 degrees here, it just stays cold until spring thaw. In Colorado we always had warmer days randomly in the winter for the snow to melt, so this will be a big change.

*The super good news is that I had rentals in my vacation home this month to cover all expenses and even make a little $$. For the last 5 months, I have been loosing $$. I had a contingency fund to cover that, but it is pretty well gone now. I am hoping ski season does something this year to keep me going for a while. I will have things like insurance and taxes due after the first of the year....

Cathy, jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We took both cars and filled the tanks -- as well as enough gas in the can for DH to mow the lawn -- all in one transaction. We had a $1 per gallon discount which brought the fuel down to $1.24 per gallon and now we have both tanks filled.

We had gone to the same store earlier in the day and picked up some deals, including some slightly damaged canned goods and used some high value coupons that were about to expire.

I forgot to use a $2 coupon on Efferdent -- which was on sale for $4.49 (retail $5.29) -- making it $2.49 after coupon. I realized it in the parking lot, but didn't go back since I knew we were returning for gas.

After fueling the cars, I went back to use the coupon I'd forgotten along with some insert coupons that matched the ones I'd used earlier on shampoo. The coupons say "Limit Two identical coupons," but they always beep and often won't give you the digital if the clerk overrides when you try to mix one insert with one digital so it is easier to do two separate transactions. :confused:

The second trip was a profitable one, because I found papayas and mangos in discount bags -- two for $1. We never buy papayas because they are SO expensive -- currently $5 each! Fifty cents each was too good to pass, so we'll enjoying smoothies and fruit salad the next several days.

I also had a couple printable coupons for Marzetti Caramel Dip -- which I was excited about until I realized the local stores seem to be discontinuing it. None of the web sites claimed our local stores had it even though it used to be common.

When we were there earlier, I noticed three containers of Marzetti on top of the Litehouse brand which was on sale for $3 a carton. I wasn't sure if that was the last Marzetti they had or if a customer was just too lazy to put it back, but I was too lazy to go find a scanner and check the price. I figured it wasn't on the same sale as Litehouse and would be more expensive.

The second trip I finally loaded a couple in the cart and found a scanner. I suspect it was the last they had in the store, because the cartons were marked $2.34 -- which is a clearance price. Regular/sale prices always end in zero, eight or nine at that store. After coupon we got them for $1.34.

Earlier in the day we went to a couple other stores. We'd been waiting till the last minute on the one store and were relieved to find they had the eggs, butter and chocolate chip loss leaders in stock. Also found some nice markdowns on meat.

Unfortunately, they were down to three packages of whole grain Newtons -- we wanted four since they were B1G1 -- so had to settle for two. That store still refuses to give rain checks after it discontinued them during COVID.

The other store had Daiya Coconut dairy-free "ice cream" bars on markdown for $1.49 -- regular $5.99. Would have liked to purchase both boxes, but we still had two stores to hit after that so only bought one and ate them in the car. At least we finally got to try them. They've always been too expensive in the past.

I planned to use some $1 coupons on Flatout Wraps. They retail for $1.65 at that store, so 65 cents after coupon. However, they had tossed them in the discount bin for 85 cents each so the coupons wouldn't work.

I'm afraid that is another item they're getting rid of since the computer doesn't know that either of our stores sell them. Trying to get whole grain tortillas and wraps in this town gets to be an EXTREME challenge. :(

5. KmmCo

The leftovers made too much fried rice and I couldn't eat it all, so a small serving went into the freezer. I was trying to get rid of the misc leftovers and not make more!

* I spent what was left of my Sept grocery budget with $4 worth of stuff at Fred Meyer and a box of assorted sunchips at Costco.

My receipts are all entered for the month so no more spending today! I have food planned and a full tank of gas.

Last night on TV I watched Life Below Zero and Homestead Rescue, both of which were filmed in Alaska ironically. I am beginning to think the only Northern Lights I will see is on TV. There was a solar storm the last two nights and it was totally cloudy here.:( I didn't feel like driving 5-6 hours to get out of the clouds... I was quite happy instead sitting in my living room with the fireplace going. I even made popcorn to snack on.

I slept in this morning and am about to go make a 10 am brunch. I have bacon and will either do scrambled eggs or pancakes - depends on what mood I am in by the time I get from the computer to the kitchen...

My plan today is just to get out and enjoy a drive/ possible walk in nature. I just have to decide whether to go North or South out of town. Chores are all done for this week.

6. Sherri1480

Sherri1480 Active Member Trader Group

That is AWESOME!! Way to go!

jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  7. jastwins

Last week I took on an extra job at the school and I am regretting it. It is much more work than I anticipated and the pay was cut by 40% this year. Someone took the position and then resigned. I was the only other person who applied and I will not apply next year. It is just not worth the aggravation of never knowing who will call in sick. Even though it is a small school, you can have multiple people out for meetings, illness or training. Basically, it is like a puzzle that you have to know people's schedules and cut /paste in subs where needed. However, there are hardly any subs. You can't put people somewhere if you don't have people!!!! So every morning I wake up and wait to see who needs coverage. ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be a long year..

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  8. KmmCo

This is the slow time of year at work, so no overtime probably until the Thanksgiving holiday. I do get a paid holiday for Columbus Day and for Veterans day so that is a little extra money. I am trying to watch my spending for October and add a little extra to savings. I want to buy an airline ticket soon to go back to Colorado for my next vacation in December. Third paycheck in November will also mostly go to savings.

*Dinner is in the crockpot for tonight. Chicken with stuffing. It is a really good recipe that I got off a youtube video. Layer seasoned chicken, stovetop stuffing, and a sauce made from cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Top with frozen green beans or mixed veggies for a one pot meal.

This will make a lot of leftovers for later this week.

*I had a late breakfast so lunch is in the oven a little late. Pizza bagel bites that I picked up at Walmart this morning.

I went into walmart to look for frozen veggies and ended up hitting the markdown racks for quite a few items. Big score was some crabcakes for $3.37 that I put in the freezer for a meal later. The rest was some crushed boxes and dented cans. I grabbed what I though I could use this winter.

I went out to get laundry quarters from the bank and will do the laundry and dishes this evening after dark. I will probably enjoy a little TV time while doing that. We have a little sunshine today, so I am gonna go on an afternoon drive up to Eklutna Lake (about 30 miles away) and do a litte bit of exploring there. It is a bit chilly out but I want to stay outside as much as possible before the winter and darkness arrives. I have a half tank of gas and will fill up later tonight or tomorrow.

*I am craving some taco soup, but my recipe makes a lot so I will cut it in half and make that on Thursday night. I have all the ingredients here already. I can alternate the chicken and taco soup for work lunches next week.

Cathy, jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  9. KmmCo

*I got too much water in the soup mixture and the crockpot was almost overflowing when I got home. I scooped some of the soup and veggies out into a bowl container and will have a nice cream soup for one meal this week. Since I will only be using half a can of corn in my taco soup, I can add the rest to my lunch containers with the chicken and stuffing to make up for the missing veggies.

Anyway, I threw my PJ pants on and put what I was wearing into the washing machine with the other laundry. Trying to be efficient with the laundry quarters! I decided that I didn't have enough towels to do a load, so those will wait until either Thursday or else next week. I am going to pull down the shower curtain and wash it when I do the towels.

My walk at the lake was nice, but now I am tired and just want to relax after the chores are done. Tomorrow I will venture out someplace else if the weather is still nice.

10. KmmCo

The wind kicked up today and it is downright cold outside. I ventured out to the thrift store just for someplace to walk around and found a few little items. I spent less than $20 of my pocket cash for this week. I got some christmas cookie cutters, kitchen tongs, a book, a nice piece of costume jewelry, and a nice long sleeve PJ set. I seem to spend a lot of time in my PJ's so an extra set will come in handy this winter.

*Yesterday I picked up some pilbury sugar cookie dough (on markdown), so I made that today. I ate a few with lunch and put the rest in my bag for work. I had some sugar crystal topping I had bought earlier so I used some of that for the cookie decorations. I got it because it was a multi- color package (on markdown) and had a red and green section that I will use for Christmas cookies.

*Lunch was the leftover pizza bites and a small bag of sunchips.

*Dinner tonight is some leftover sloppy joe from the freezer. I had some buns left from when my son was here that were sitting in my fridge and I need to get rid of them. I also need to get some of my containers back out of the freezer too.....
    I am baking some frozen fries with some season salt to add a little flavor to them. I have some canned peaches opened so that is my "healthy" thing for the day. I think I really should start eating better!

*The chicken stuff from the crockpot came out good and I ate two big servings of it last night. I will have some more of it for lunch tomorrow and I will still have 3 containers of leftovers for work. I guess I wll eat the taco soup leftovers for my lunches before work this next weekend.

While I was watching TV, I actually got something done. I had a pair of pants with a button off that I fixed. I also fixed a belt buckle on another pair of pants. I was glad that I could fix it as it was a sewn on belt and I was going to have to remove it otherwise if I wanted to wear the pants. That project looked like a real big pain.

I also culled out some work socks with holes in them. I will cut them up for cleaning rags later, but at least they are out of the closet so that I won't keep trying to put them on.

*The furnace has not kicked on for a couple of days, but I did that baking today and turned the fireplace on this evening. I think that will keep the temperature up in the apartment enough for the heat to not come on again tonight. The gas fireplace probably isn't really energy efficient for heating, but I enjoy having it on in the evening for a couple of hours on these blustery days.

11. KmmCo

When I pulled out the stuff for the taco soup, I realized that I did not have any tomato sauce so off to walmart I went. $17 and two bags of groceries later....

I got a few more things off the markdown rack, a 2 liter of soda, and somehow a bag of fun size butterfingers fell in the cart. I grabbed extra on the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes since I am using them up pretty fast and I picked up a can of the walmart hot dog chili that I like for chili dogs. The walmart here is finally starting to get most of the shelves filled back up. I noticed that they even have a section of the long term dehydrated and freeze dried stuff that is starting to get restocked. That section has been empty for months.

Anyway, the soup is on the stove for dinner and there will be a ton left over for eating later this week.

I have pretty much been lazing around the house today otherwise. It is still overcast today and that "winter is coming" feeling is in the air. There is no snow in the 10 day forecast though. The temperature looks like it will stay slightly above freezing for a while longer.

By the way, both a little bunny and a squirrel came visiting my "front yard" today (the little strip of grass between my patio decking and the parking area). They had better be careful as the other night I saw a fox roaming the parking lot.

12. KmmCo

*Furnace has kicked on the last two mornings for about 15 minutes. Right before sunrise, which is getting later and later here.... I paid my gas bill already that was due in October, so I won't see the next one until the first of November. The electric bill will be getting a little higher too as it gets darker.

I did dishes after work last night and ironed some clothes this morning. I got a notice from the apartment complex that they will be in doing an inspection next Wed. I guess I had better plan on a little house cleaning on my day off on Tuesday. I definitly need to vacumn, I have just been to lazy to do that the last couple of weeks.

I have been good about not spending anything on the days that I go to work. I already paid all the bills this month other than the water bill for the house back in Colorado. I got $196 income from my rental condo for Sept - not great - but at least I am on the positive side instead of loosing money now.

13. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Last night on TV I watched Life Below Zero and Homestead Rescue, both of which were filmed in Alaska ironically. I am beginning to think the only Northern Lights I will see is on TV. There was a solar storm the last two nights and it was totally cloudy here.:( I didn't feel like driving 5-6 hours to get out of the clouds... I was quite happy instead sitting in my living room with the fireplace going. I even made popcorn to snack on.

I really enjoy "Life Below Zero", especially the ones that deal with the woman who lives on her own. She is admirable!

jcdamomma, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  14. KmmCo

Are you talking about Sue that runs Kavik camp? Yes, I like her too. By the way, at work they were asking for people available to do 4 to 7 day stints in some of the little places like Bethel. I gotta think about that for sure as I have not been anywhere off the road system yet. I just talked to a girl on Sat. night that worked in Barrow for 3 months and she seemed to enjoy it, but said she never saw polar bears. In the summer, I guess they are not around town as much. Deadhorse was open for a full year but I can't commit to that, though it is a huge money maker as you get housing and food free.

Anyway, I went to Carrs/Safeway today for hot dog buns, bread, and eggs. They had coupons in the flyer that ends tonight. I found several markdown items. Capers at $1.49. Chicken picatta just went on the menu plan for later this month. I also found buttermilk (expires on the 15th) for .99. I am gonna whip out a batch of biscuits for tomorrow's breakfast and maybe make some extra breakfast sandwiches to freeze. I also found 1 lb bags of pinto and black beans for .50 each. Even though I have 2 lbs of dry pintos, I bought 4 more bags. I just got one bag of the black beans as I just don't eat them as much. Altogether I spent $11.

I am waiting for tomorrow's ads because I need soda soon. I bought one twelve pack for work at regular price last week and have a few cans left plus a half of a 2 liter bottle. I made some lemonade (crystal light) in one of my Nalgene bottles just to make the soda supply last longer.

*For lunch, I got a medium carry-out pizza for $5. A coworker put coupons on the breakroom table that expired Wed so I grabbed one yesterday. It was cut into six slices and I only ate two. Now I have 2 more meals from that pizza for only $1.67. The place is a local chain so I think I will go there in the future if I want pizza. It generally seemed to be about the same price as Pizza Hut and it sure tastes better.

*I ate all my chicken/stuffing stuff but still have some taco soup left. I will eat taco soup for dinner and freeze the rest for work meals. Even though I cut my recipe in half, it still made a lot...

*Tomorrow is supposed to be cold and possibly light snow so I am making that my chore and cooking day. I am gonna bake some snack items like cookies or brownies for my work snacks. I have a lot of chips from Costco, but ate most of the sweeter stuff like trail mix and rice krispy treats.

*lunch plan for tomorrow is chili dogs. I pulled one of the .25 packs out of the freezer. $1.49 for buns and .68 for the hot dog chili (great value/walmart) and a little cheese. I figure I am at less than 50 cents per hot dog. I will probably eat a few this week and some more of them next week. I should have probably divided the hot dog packs in half before freezing them. Side dish - tator tots or fries or chips - depending on my mood.

I am not purposely cooking anything for work on Thursday as I have a few meals in the freezer that I can pull out if I don't have leftovers and get tired of chili dogs. I am not sure yet what I will make for dinner Wed or Thurs, but I have plenty here to pick from. It might just be canned soup if I don't feel like making anything.

jcdamomma, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  15. KmmCo

After sticking my head outside a couple of times to enjoy the rare sunshine, I didn't get any more enthusiasm to go do anything much today.

I am making some bread pudding to use up the regular milk that I have left.Using a different recipe than normal, so I will see how it comes out.

I straightened out my kitchen counter and cupboards rather quickly, then loaded the dishwasher and put a load of laundry into the machine. I think it will be a nice little relaxing TV night for me. Maybe I will get a little more enthused about doing something tomorrow....

Cathy, jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  16. KmmCo

The bread pudding was okay - just a little more bread and less pudding than my favorite recipe so it is more solid. I used a different biscuit recipe this morning too - using cooking oil instead of shortening - which I don't have. They came out okay but not as fluffy as the butter one I have done before.

* made a bag of microwave popcorn last night for my TV time snack and I ate the whole thing. Even though it is the extra butter variety it was only 360 calories so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about that. If I eat one bag a week, the giant box of popcorn will last me through the winter as it was a box of 24. It is cheaper than eating the individual chip bags that I get at Costco for my work snacks, but the calorie count on the Sunchips was only 210. I should really divide the popcorn in half for my 1 serving and bag up the other half for a work snack.

So far it looks like they are wrong about snow as the sun is out again..... It has dropped to the upper 30's though, so not super nice to be out without bundling up a bit. I am glad to have a big sliding patio door in the living room so that I get a lot of sunlight on the occasions when it is actually out....

*Later I will get out for a soda run. Fred Meyer has the 20 oz bottles on sale, which is probably better than cans since I can put the lid back on after break and have the rest later. I forgot to get bananas at Carrs yesterday too, so I will pick those up today. I am resisting buying meat even if I see bargains. I want to get the stuff in the freezer used up before buying more. I still have 3 pork roasts, 1 beef roast, 3 packages of chicken, 4 lbs of hamburger, and lots of smoked sausages and hot dogs. I need to pair down the leftovers in the freezer too....

*Kind of just hanging out close to home this week. I used less that 1/4 tank of gas to get to work, so I don't have to gas up this week at all. I might go to the zoo again after lunch or maybe just walk on one of the in town bike trails to get a little exercise/outdoor time in.

17. KmmCo

*Lunch today: hot dog with mustard and relish, leftover french fries.

*I ate a couple of the pizza slices yesterday, but there are two more slices left that I will take to work lunch tomorrow.

I made a Walmart run today for some odd and end stuff. I needed matches and wanted to look at the Christmas stuff. I ended up getting a 6 ft Christmas tree. I was looking for a 3 or 4 foot one, but I found this one for only $22. I have lights and some ornaments and will look for more decorations at Goodwill. They had some cute bear and moose ones at Walmart for around $2, but I resisted them today. I also picked up a couple of rubbermaid lunch containers and some modge podge (for a specific Christmas craft). I checked the clearance rack and found some Kind bars for .35. I got 4 bars for work snacks and left the rest for someone else. I grabbed a box of 6 markdown donuts for snacking. I also saw yeast 3-packs on the markdown rack for .75. I got one, but didn't want to buy too much as I already have one three pack of yeast here. It was a brand that walmart normally doesn't carry, so I think they just stuck the whole case on the clearance rack. I also got a giant bag of Halloween candy, just in case I have trick-or-treaters. I made sure to get ones that I will eat so any leftovers won't go to waste. All together I spent $40+, but I shouldn't have to go in for anything for a few weeks now.

First time that I noticed this: Where layaway nomally is, this Walmart had a sign up "Alaska Bush Supply" with a cash register and packing materials all set up. I guess they must do online orders for the pilots to just come pick up - all ready to ship out.

Speaking of Goodwill, I dropped a small bag off there as a donation. There were a few kitchen items that I brought from home that I used until I got "replacements" plus one t-shirt and a couple of pair of socks that I didn't want anymore. I am trying to keep a handle on how much stuff I have as I will have to get rid of it if I leave next summer.

18. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Yes, Sue...that was the lady I liked. She's so self reliant, a little like you I guess Kim!

jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  19. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We traveled to Utah for work and were able to keep costs under control with a beautiful two-bedroom, two-bath condo at a great rate due to the lack of travel this summer. It was actually too large for us, but I fell in love with the corner unit with a wall of windows on two sides of the living room and its convenient location -- not to mention how well the kitchen was equipped!

Ate most of our meals on our deck so it was like the current COVID "patio dining" trend -- without the hassle of finding parking.

DH had our indoor dining room table filled with his "tech junk," as usual, and didn't seem interested when I mentioned the condo description said there was an extra leaf for the table in the closet. :rolleyes:

A local store had papayas and mangos on markdown two for one dollar right before we left and I COULD NOT resist that deal since we can NEVER afford papaya otherwise. The condo had a beautiful Breville Blender with a smoothie setting that provided smoothies throughout our stay. The fridge had an ice-maker with filtered water to go in them which was SO convenient.

We picked up yogurt for 29 cents a container after coupon on our way out of town the morning we left and bought enough to last the whole trip. Knew we wouldn't beat that price elsewhere -- although after that I could have gotten a 96-oz container of Mountain High Plain Yogurt at the discount grocery for $1 if we'd had room to store it. :eek:

We got two 18-packs of eggs on sale for 99 cents each the day before we left, so that kept us going for breakfast until the last few days.

We also found some small steaks on markdown. Used one as a steak meal and made steak and potato soup from the other in the condo's Crock-Pot after we got there. I found organic frozen peas and carrots on markdown for 69 cents and added some items from the condo pantry -- turning my original plan of French onion soup into something a LOT more hearty than I really wanted. :oops:

We got some markdown beef fajita kits which provided several meals with refried beans we brought from home, but we also found a large package of deli cooked fajitas for $2.50. We ended up freezing those. They had nice packages of deli chow mein for $1.50 the day before we left, but I didn't dare buy them no matter how tempting. :eek:

We stopped at a discount grocery on the way and picked up a few items we enjoyed while we were there. Spent $3 on a nice large chunk of smoked turkey roll as well as a large package of sliced provolone cheese. We used the turkey roll and cheese for picnic lunches and cooked the last of the turkey for breakfast with eggs our last morning.

A nice large bag of Italian parsley was only 50 cents -- we still have some left -- and fresh bananas were only 29 cents a pound. We found blueberries for $1.50 a carton which were delicious in our smoothies.

Single-serve bags of baked chips were about three to five for $1 the last time we were there, but the store was out both going and coming home this time. Thankfully, we had a few bags left from the previous trip, because I'd warned DH not to eat them all.

We had several grocery store promotions going, which kept me busy "running numbers" while I shopped. At the beginning of the trip we got $5 off our next order each time we spent $20 on produce and they had nice sales on things like organic salad kits with dressing included so we didn't need to buy bottles separately.

I got a bit confused on timing. One day we shopped turned out to be the last day of the promotion instead of two days later like I thought. However, when I checked the receipt, we'd gotten to $20 with only 49 cents over, so our purchases worked perfectly and we saved $5 on our next shopping trip.

They next offered a promotion for an extra 10 cents per gallon fuel discount for every $30 purchase on a Friday through Sunday. We added some extra fuel points to our total, that way, as well, since we found treasures in discount bins.

They had some fuel point offers for purchasing store and restaurant gift cards, however, with so many businesses closing doors I didn't feel confident buying many more of those right now.

All told, we got something like one dollar off per gallon on a fill-up before we left home, 90 cents off a fill-up when we arrived and another 60 cents per gallon fill-up when we were site-seeing. We used a three cent per gallon discount on the way home and we've currently got close to 70 cents per gallon on a fill-up that won't expire until the end of November.

We found quite a few deals on items in discount bins -- the benefits of being able to shop multiple stores. Those items should keep us going this winter if stocking gets to be a problem.

One store was closing out 25-ounce jugs of Safeguard hand soap (retail $5.99) for 99 cents. Wish I could have fit more of them in the car.

They were getting rid of two-packs of surge protectors for about $3.69, so we bought a couple packs.

We found 5-oz. cans of chicken breast for 39 cents. They had tuna cans on sale for 49 cents the same week, so we got some of those, as well.

Cans of beef broth and tomato sauce with jalapeño were 10 cents each.

Several bags of Starbucks Coffee were $1.59. One rang in at $1.29 because an employee had used the K-Cup price tag. @jastwins would have had a heyday buying K-Cups. They had Veranda Blonde (DH's favorite), maple, pecan, pumpkin and all sorts of fall flavors. ;)

Taco Bell Taco Seasoning packets were 25 cents.

Contadina canned tomatoes with garlic and herbs and large cans of Cento tomato paste were 25 cents.

We found a nice bag of frozen Angus beef meatballs marked down to $1.50 which we made into pineapple BBQ meatballs toward the end of our stay -- to use up an opened bottle of BBQ sauce we'd brought in the cooler by mistake. Unfortunately, I realized when I bought them that we wouldn't be able to get them back home any longer -- and I was right. That was the only brand we purchased. :(

A couple stores had a bunch of deli soups discounted. The large 24-oz. containers sell for $7.99, but were discounted to 99 cents. Don't know the original price on the smaller 16-oz. chicken noodle soups we got for 50 cents.

Since we had a freezers, those we couldn't eat were frozen to provide extra ice on the way home. We ate a couple meals of Chicken Coconut Curry Soup at our condo and have been eating Chicken Noodle the past few days. We still have a container of Chicken Noodle, a couple Chicken Curry, a couple Lentil Dahl and a Vegetarian Minestrone to enjoy.

We also picked up some organic smoked turkey luncheon meat which we froze.

Got some nice deals on bakery markdowns, as well, so we are well stocked on cookies, muffins and treats.

On the way home we stopped at the discount grocery again. They had large restaurant-size bags of shredded coleslaw cabbage mix (with small bags of shredded carrot and shredded purple cabbage separated for $1, large bags of shredded mixed kale for $1, nice bags of fresh basil for $1 and a large bag of alfalfa sprouts for $1.50.

They had gotten a big load of produce and another of meat the previous day, but seemed wiped out by the time we got there -- unless we wanted a 50-pound bag of carrots. :eek: We've noticed people who look like they are purchasing for group homes the past couple trips, so things seem to move pretty fast there.

The grocery stores had some good produce markdowns, as well and we picked up heads of organic cabbage, a head of broccoflower, some nice baking potatoes, bell peppers and some chayote squash bags among other things to bring home with us.

We had run out of berries by the end of our condo stay, but hit a large carton on strawberries (retail $6.99) marked down to 99 cents right before we left. We had to toss a few bad berries, but it was a killer deal to add to our smoothies the last couple days.

Then, as if we didn't have enough produce, the restaurant where we love to stop on the way home is right across the street from the Utah Fruit Way -- with tons of farm stands.

It is definitely toward the end of the season, but we were able to get a 25-pound bag of onions, some spaghetti squash, some more nice bell peppers, beets and a few tomatoes.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Cathy and jastwins like this.
  20. jastwins

@Gardencook & @KmmCo I love reading about the great deals in other states.
    You are so lucky to find markdowns and either people are beating me to them or they are just not marking down as much stuff anymore. My IGA has not has not had a sales ad since March. Full price, all day, all the time UGH!
    When I looked at my school calendar, it seems that there is going to be a long wait for a full paycheck. Basically, I will be one day short for a couple of checks and with Columbus day being a bank and school holiday, there is no chance to make up that money. Every morning, I have a 1/2 hour duty that involves taking temps and I get paid for that when I submit a time sheet. On Wednesday, I had detention duty and that pays $60 for an hour and I am on the schedule at least twice a month. As the sub dispatcher, I will get paid 4 times a year at a pro-rated stipend that was reduced 40% from what it paid last year. It is not worth
    doing this job at the reduced rate and I am sorry I took it. The main reason I accepted it was that I know I have to get a new lease when I turn my car in next March and I need the money.
    Every day, I bring lunch to school and will only buy lunch when it is Tyson chicken patty day (twice a month) I need to bring a reusable water bottle since I normally drink 2 bottles a day and need to drink more. Just have to get into the habit of remembering to bring one that I fill up at home . I ordered snacks from amazon and left them in the room where we now have lunch, so if I forget a snack, I have it.
    My next check will be for new brakes and an oil change on my van. I also need to food shop and will probably need ferry tickets. That check will be spent sooner rather than later.

jcdamomma, Cathy and Gardencook like this.
Moderators: KimShaw