Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@Gardencook, we have the same issues with our King Kullen stores where the zip code dictates the sale. We will be charged $3.99 for an item in the Bridehampton (aka "the Hamptons") because the city people will pay it. If you look at the circular at a zip code one hour away, their sale price will be $2.99. My friend in another town would see a $5 coupon for the King Kullen store by her job (too much competition in the area) and our circular would not have the coupon. However, it was good at any location, if you could get it. You would think the printing expense would be too high, but I guess not!!
    Shop Rite has great sales and prices. Aldi's is tough to beat on many items and I wish it were closer, but both stores are an hour away from me. With the summer traffic, I just pay the prices nearby and stock up when I can.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Before the end of the month, we filled the gas tank with our remaining 80 cent per gallon fuel reward which was going to expire tonight. We used a one dollar reward on our trip down to Utah a week and a half ago. That's the first time in months that we've used two fuel rewards in the same month, I believe.

We also bought a few more items to get ourselves up to the next fuel level for next month when we'll have two tanks of discounted fuel once again. :)

We made a big pan of lasagna for dinner tonight. The store we shopped yesterday had lean ground beef for $2.49 a pound and we had all the other ingredients at home. They were things we'd purchased on sale with coupons or discounted in the past so it made for a very cheap meal.

Mixed in a lot of veggies including fresh onions, garlic and zucchini from the farmers market. We got organic cottage cheese on sale/markdown for something like 69 cents and we've always got plenty of other cheese on hand.

The lasagna noodles were whole wheat we got on clearance when all the stores seemed to get rid of whole grain pasta. :(

Used a jar of spaghetti sauce from before the pandemic -- when we still had sales and coupons.

We've always got V8 on hand -- usually from Big Lots -- and we've got plenty of tomatoes on hand, but I forgot to add a can so the end product was a bit dry. :oops: Otherwise, it was a total success.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  3. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

We have been getting a lot of cold rain here - feeling like fall now. The sun finally came out this evening just as I was getting home from errands. I got my grocery shopping done for the next couple of weeks.

I found a bread outlet and got 3 items for $5 - one fancy organic seed bread (the regularly $4 kind), a package of english muffins, and a package of pita bread. At least I know where the shop is now and can go there again. I am going to make a breakfast sandwich tomorrow morning with bacon. egg, and cheese. The rest of the english muffins should last me a few days into the work week. I have been having toast/jelly the last couple of days, which is why I ran completely out of bread this morning. I am saving what is left of my pancake mix for when my son gets here. I have a box of Bisquick too and could use that for pancakes.

I got a couple of produce items at Carrs (Safeway) and did the bulk of shopping at Walmart. I scored a unbelievable deal on Bar S dogs. .25 a package for jumbo franks and $1.50 for a family sized (2.5 lb) package of smoked cheddar dogs. I only got 2 package of the jumbos because I just don't have room in the freezer and they were sell by Sept 17. I am guessing that someone ordered way too many for 4th of July and they didn't get here in time.

*Carrs finally had yeast in today. I didn't buy any because I just got bread. Hoping I don't regret passing it up. That is the first time I have seen yeast anywhere since getting here at the end of May. I brought baking powder and baking soda with me from Colorado figuring I could make biscuits or Irish soda bread if needed. Bread is pricey here and I have just not been eating a lot of it. I am glad that I found the outlet store (Franz bakery) and will be able to get stuff cheaper. Even the fresh stuff was less that the retail stores charge for it, but of course I go for the day old items.

*Lunch was a leftovers container that was an extra from this last week. Rather than cooking something new, I just microwaved the leftovers to get rid of them.

*Dinner tonight was a frozen pizza because I didn't feel like cooking after all that shopping... Half of the pizza is left for another meal.

I got chicken out to thaw for Thursday night dinner and for some work meals. Not sure what I am doing tomorrow but I might just do sandwiches or whatever leftovers I can scrounge. The fridge is getting pretty emptied out now. I am trying to keep the leftover stuff in check as my son ( AKA the human garbage disposal) is not coming for a couple more weeks.

The only laundry I have is work uniforms and I am not in a huge hurry to wash them as I still have enough to wear this upcoming week. I did get the dishwasher loaded this morning and started it when I tossed the pizza in the oven.

Waiting to see what the weather is doing before making plans for the rest of my days off. I was thinking about a Denali bus tour tomorrow, but with the iffy weather I decided not too. The cost was pretty high at $199 for the privately run one I was looking at, so I think I am glad to be skipping it right now. Maybe I will do the park service one next spring since it is less expensive.

Today while driving around, I found a really nice park on a lake. I walked around for a few minutes in the rain, before deciding it was too wet outside. I will go back for a picnic sometime when the weather is nicer . There was a couple on the lake in kayaks, but they looked pretty miserable in the cold rain. My plan for tonight is to just relax at home. I might turn the fireplace on for a while and make some hot chocolate.

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  4. KmmCo

Today was another lazy rainy day. I wasted a good part of it sitting on the futon sofa and reading.

I made my breakfast sandwich late and didn't have lunch at all. Tonight I am doing a grilled ham and cheese sandwich for dinner. I will eat some fruit with it and maybe some potato chips out of my snack stash.

I did go to Goodwill and Value Village stores. I spent $4.50 on halloween/fall decorations, got a couple of small organizer bins for $2 each, and scored a nice bread machine for $6.50. I wasn't gonna get one unless I found it cheap and this one fit the bill. I guess I will need to go get some yeast after all. Probably won't do that till next week though since I have that whole loaf of bread and the pita pockets to use up first.

Tomorrow might be the same kind of lazy day since the weather is not improving until Friday.

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  5. Gardencook

Today we could get 10 percent off the top on our grocery purchases at the store across town -- unfortunately, the sales weren't the most thrilling -- but still a discount is a discount.

Already mentioned getting a nearly free roast on the September free thread, however, the coupon was good for the rest of the month and I'm sure we would have used it regardless of whether we went today. Since the coupon came off before the discount, the discount really only amounted to eight cents on that.

However, they did have taco sauce on sale and we had non-insert coupons which made it 90 cents a jar after discount. The discount also took an additional 15 cents a box off the four boxes of crackers which were a decent deal. We also saved an additional 33 cents a box on frozen egg rolls which were on sale. Haven't seen a decent coupon/sale stack on those since long before COVID.

They had a few remaining bags of lentils on clearance and we were able to pick them up for 45 cents a one-pound bag after discount.

We picked up some other items, as well, but mostly the trip was just an excuse to get some exercise and get out of the house. There still isn't really that much to do around here except shop when I can't hike any longer.

Stopped at another store on the way home to pick up a few items. We had a $5 oyno digital coupon from produce purchases which helped bring down our total at the end.

Just wish we'd had an attentive clerk at that store. Think we'll be avoiding her in the future. Her mind seemed to be everywhere EXCEPT on our order.

I don't know if she heard anything we said, then I had to ask for my Cat coupon at the end. I had clearly seen it print out on OUR order, but she was planning to give it to some woman whom she claimed had said she'd be "right back" with her loyalty card and apparently never returned? :confused: It would have made more sense if we'd seen a cart full of groceries nearby, but I don't know if the woman had taken them?

The first thing the clerk did when we got to her register was completely ignore us and walk away TWICE to talk to managers -- as if we didn't exist. I wish she had put up her "Closed" sign so we'd gotten warning, because she was obviously perturbed that we saw no customers and unloaded our items.

She scanned one manager's tag so perhaps she was clearing the transaction, but where were the groceries? I don't know if she let the woman walk out with them before she paid or what had transpired?

It certainly made a mess of our transaction, however. Had DH not told her about the ice we had on the bottom we could have walked away without paying after she ignored me the first three times I told her. o_O

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  6. Gardencook

DH went to get a haircut today -- he's kind of like a kid in a candy store over those things now that he's allowed to get them again. :p

He was going by the grocery store, so I had him pick up a couple bags of shredded cheese that are on sale this week and for which we have coupons.

It wasn't until he walked through the front door that it suddenly hit me we needed whole wheat hamburger buns. The store was out when we tried to buy them the other day.

It was a nice surprise to learn that he saw them on the shelf and bought them without me asking. Guess he does pay attention once in awhile after all.

Not a terrible deal, but he also saw some boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins. A decent size package was not on sale, but a little more than $4 so he bought those, as well.

They weren't really in my meal plans for the week -- especially since I've got a coupon deal on frozen breaded ones I was hoping to use before they went off sale. However, I'm already formulating ideas for using them.

We got a deal on frozen broccoli with cheese sauce the other day, so now I'm trying to decide whether to go with a casserole or just have the chicken with the broccoli as a side with a carb like potatoes or rice.

The package is big enough that we can probably also have stir-fry, but first we have to use the burgers and fries I had planned for tomorrow night. :oops:

7. KmmCo

I did a quick straighten up on my food cupboard this morning. I spied a can of roast beef hash that got heated up for lunch today. I opened some canned pears for a side dish. There is enough left for another meal for me later.

Last Thursday, I went ahead and got some milk and more sodas on sale at Fred Myers. I have been eating cereal for breakfast most of the work week. I also splurged on 2 Marie Calendar pies. One was blueberry and I cooked it right away. I also got a thaw and serve coconut cream that I cut into a couple of days later. There is still plenty left for a few days of desserts.

Tonight, I am making taco meat. I only got a half pound of hamburger out so that I will not have so much left over. I can finish up the lettuce, tomato, and onion in the fridge and get some fresh produce next week. I have 2 four tortillas left and just a few taco shells that I can get rid of. My son is coming on Saturday night and I don't want a bunch of stuff in the fridge that he won't eat. We can go shopping and cook fresh stuff once he gets here.

The weather has finally improved and I am going to make it a point to go outside this afternoon. If I hike today I will take a ziplock with me. It is back end of blueberry season and I would love to find some in my ramblings about. Hoping not to find the bears munching on them though. One of my coworkers had a bear with 2 cubs in his yard the other day - raiding the bird feeders - he video tapped them from inside his patio door only a few feet away - scary....

Sherri1480, Cathy, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  8. KmmCo

No real hike today. I took a drive north/east to see if there was any fall colors. Leaves have just started to turn a bit here and should look nicer in a couple more weeks. I ended up at Sutton AK and did get out to look around the historical park. The buildings were all closed, but it was still fun to look around the outside. It was all free except for the 1/4 tank of gas that I used up.

*I filled my gas at Costco. It is a full .10 cheaper there than anyplace else in town. I need to make it a habit to get over there when I need gas. It is a little further away than Fred Meyer or the other gas stations in my neighborhood, but I go by Costco on the way to work.

On the way back from my afternoon adventure, I cut from Palmer over to Wassilla and stopped at a Michaels and at Value Village thrift store. I spent $6 at Michaels and nothing at Value Village. I was trying to add a little to my Halloween decorations. I found a nice fall vase filler and a couple of small floral picks - all at 40% off. There was tons of Halloween stuff left, but I got generic fall stuff to reuse for Thanksgiving.

* I added an entire can of black beans to the taco meat and had 3 tacos for dinner. I will use some more of the mixture tomorrow for burritos. There might me enough for me to make some Spanish rice and do a Mexican bowl for one of my work meals on Fri or Sat too.

The sun is setting around 9 pm now, so I am in for the night. I will watch a few youtube videos and then go to bed a bit early. I started the dishwasher after dinner, but the apartment is still a bit chilly and I think that is making me want to crawl in bed soon. I did run the furnace about 20 minutes the other night to get the chill out and could do that again if I really need too - I just hate turning it on this early in the year though unless absolutely necessary.

9. Gardencook

Went to the discount grocery this afternoon and picked up some odds and ends.

Biggest finds were two cans of Hearts of Palm and two cans of Artichoke Hearts for 42 cents each. Not sure what we'll do with them yet since I'm not used to having such "luxury" items on the shelf, but couldn't resist the price.

The store had one can of organic tomato paste for 39 cents and some tomato and one can of celery soup for 59 cents a can. They also had the whole wheat tortillas our regular store keeps sending us coupons on -- and then never has in stock when we try to buy them. :rolleyes:

The main thing we went over for were today's specials, but you always find something else that is interesting to add to the cart. The owner does a Facebook Live video every Wednesday and drops the price on some items they've gotten in abundance. Today we could get 18 oz. canisters of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats for 75 cents each and Sunbelt Bakery Granola Bars for $1 a box.

We dropped by a couple thrift stores on the way home. Didn't find anything we needed at the first store.

The second one has a sale going this week on "over-sized bags" -- 69 cents. They had a huge bin you had to pick through with a lot of really nice bags including computer bags and totes. I picked through and found a medium-sized cooler bag for bringing home cold groceries and two brand new canvas bags. (I like the canvas ones, because you can wash them.) The cooler bag is plastic, so will be easy to wash, as well.

Today was a 10 percent discount day, so we got three bags for about $1.86 after tax.

Ran over to check on the farmers market, but it was cancelled today. The main farmer lost the plastic on some of her greenhouses in the wind the other night so I don't know how much damage she suffered. She said the wind did a lot of damage to the corn -- which just started ripening a couple weeks ago.

She had a Facebook post showing neighbors trying to help save the greenhouses, limbs down at their place and the power pole down the street on fire. :eek:

She was advertising corn and potatoes at the farm yesterday, but we're supposed to get a killing frost tonight, so I don't know how her outdoor crops will fare.

Then temps will be back up to the mid-90s by the end of the week. Never a dull moment when you live in a climate like ours! :confused:

10. KmmCo

Nice weather here, but I was just a bit lazy today. I spent a good part of the day just sitting on the deck and soaking up some sun.

I did go to Goodwill and got a TV stand for the living room. That was the last furniture that I am looking for. I also picked up a couple more Halloween/fall decorations for cheap. I remembered to ask for my 10% Senior discount. Sometimes I forget to do that. Another $2o out the door today for that Goodwill stop. I actually was just going to use the bank ATM, but Goodwill is in the same shopping area. I am glad that I stopped in for a few minutes.

I walked over to Fred Meyers because I was looking for a particular spice, but they didn't carry it anyway. I will look for it at walmart next time I go in. I grabbed a 2 liter soda while I was there and paid with some loose change that I had on me.

*Lunch was the taco stuff on flour tortillas. I made the Spanish rice and had a little on the side. The rest of the taco meat and rice will be work lunches for the two days that I go in at the end of the week. I straightened out my assorted chips box from Costco and can find the Doritos now, so those will go good with my taco/rice bowl.

*Tonight I had a few leftover chicken strips from last week that I ate with some veggies from the fridge. A piece of pie for dessert rounded out dinner.

Tomorrow I will do some housecleaning and get the place ready for my son to visit. I basically just need to pull out the extra sheets and blankets for the futon. I need to straighten out the car a little bit too.

I got paid the 11 hours of OT this week. I paid some of my bills a little earlier than due just to get them done with. I managed to put $190 into general savings, but most of it will probably get spent next week while my son is here. I don't have to hassle with any more online bill pays though while he is here. I am pretty stocked up on groceries, so I shouldn't need to buy much next week unless he wants something special....

11. Gardencook

Went out to pick up a few groceries this afternoon.

Had a bit of a standoff at the first store which is very small and has one-way aisles due to COVID. People have short tempers these days and are tired of following the "rules."

I entered a narrow aisle with no other customers which was only wide enough for one cart -- one of the big ones I hate today. All the small carts were in use or out in the parking lot. :(

I was looking at body wash and was standing a quarter of the way into the aisle when a woman and her son/husband (couldn't tell which) decided to enter the other end -- the wrong way. The woman stood on top of the arrow that clearly stated "DO NOT ENTER" and waited for me to get out of her way. Of course, after she entered I finally saw the body wash I had been looking for and she was blocking it. :rolleyes:

She stood there looking at me for awhile, obviously hoping I'd buckle. I ignored her and looked at body wash that honestly didn't interest me. DH had arrived by then from running errands and obviously wondered why I was standing still, but I mumbled something to him about "a stand-off" -- which he couldn't understand due to my face mask. He seemed to get the message.

Eventually she decided the game wasn't working so left and then as soon as we started to head down to the part of the aisle we wanted, she sent her "man" back to enter the wrong way again and block our way because she had changed her mind on what to buy.

People! I'm as tired of COVID as everyone else, but can't we go back to a few of the manners our mothers taught us? :mad:

We got a few things at the next store, but I was getting tired and several items could wait. Some of our items were flexible -- depending on when sales began and ended. Then we still ran into problems with the store being out of things we planned to buy.

Did find some nice salads on markdown and also some bags of Mandarin oranges. We had to forego the breaded chicken in hopes they'd get what we wanted in stock and decided to hold an Asian meal purchase till later since there is still time left on the sale.

The produce we purchased pushed us up to another reward for purchasing $20 in produce. That means $5 will come off our order next time we shop. :)

12. Gardencook

Went shopping across town this afternoon. The store had some really good deals this week that we didn't want to let pass.

Biggest deal was roast for $1.99 a pound. We couldn't find any on the meat counter, so asked an employee. She said they had just cut some so she'd go get it from the back. She rolled out a cart with about five shelves and let us have our pick from three shelves of really nice sale meat. I wish we'd had room for more than one roast in our freezer!

I really like the meat at that store, so we picked up three one-pound packs of ground beef for $2.99 a pound. Should have bought roasts and ground it myself, but I was lazy. :p

We were also able to get Buddig Meat for 30 cents a package after sale and coupons, yogurt for 39 cents a container after sale and coupon, six Snickers Bars and BIC products were nearly free after coupon. Large packages of string cheese were $2.99 each, Limit two.

We picked up other groceries, as well and had a bonus coupon that gave us two bonus rewards for a $40 purchase. With a double points on meat coupon that got us up to three total rewards for the month combined last week's purchases. You'd normally have to buy $300 worth of groceries to get that. I'll be able to redeem them for some sort of free food once we know how many points we build throughout the month.

13. KmmCo

My son and I hit the ground running on Sunday. We did a couple of hikes, then gave up on a third one when the bugs got too bad. Did a lot of driving around sightseeing too.... We had a picnic lunch that day (ham and cheese sandwiches) and made pizza with stuff from the fridge on top of the pitas I had bought a while back. We did an ice cream stop too. ($7.50) I picked wild berry and my son tried the birch walnut. Both were yummy.

Monday, I made a hotel reservation in Seward and scheduled a marine tour on Tuesday. We stopped at the Wildlife center ($34 for 2 tickets) on the way down there and my son had a good time. We just did peanut butter sandwiches for our sack lunch. We also found a really nice day use area near a lake that we stopped at for a late afternoon walk. We collected a couple of small pieces of driftwood and small rocks to add to my beach decor on my shelf. Once we got to Seward, we went out for a seafood dinner. Expensive but good ($50)

The boat tour was the same one that I went on earlier, but completely different. They used a different boat/captain in the fleet. We saw a huge number of Orcas and went to a different Glacier. Not as may birds but more time watching sea lions. We saw Mountain Goats on the cliff side too. Each tour ends up being different depending on where the wildlife is and what the captain wants to do. It was a cold and rainy day but we bundled up and had a great time. My son got a $4 Glacier Ice Margarita and I had a taste. I also got some of the leftover ice for my coca-cola. It is very hard dense ice and doesn't melt very fast.

We ate a lot of hotel breakfast and had the turkey lunch basket on the tour. Once again, I brought my apple home for later. My son wanted Subway after the tour for dinner and we stopped at a bakery where he got an apple strudel for desert. I wasn't hungry so I waited till I got home and decided I was still only thirsty and not hungry for dinner.

The hotel was a little pricey at $149.85 but the tour was less expensive at $112 per ticket. (I paid $130 before). It was worth the hotel stay though as we got to walk around Seward and have the dinner out the night before. Plus we didn't have to wake up so early on the day of the boat ride.

All in all, we have been having a great time but are both really tired. Today, I am doing my laundry and cooking here at the house. We will finally have our chili dogs for lunch. We might do an afternoon walk here in town or else do a little shopping. My son wants to find a gift for his girlfriend this week. We deserve a day of rest for sure. Friday we are going to drive north to camp overnight and look for Northern lights. I don't know if we will do Denali or not. The bus tours are done and I can only drive in the first 15 miles to savage river. The views of Denali are better outside the park to be truthful...

My son keeps saying Alaska looks like a Bob Ross painting. It is so pretty with all the trees starting to turn gold and lots of red undergrowth in the forest. I think the summer tourists miss the prettiest stuff in the fall...

By the way, we saw lots of bald eagles in the wild the last couple of days. No moose though - I think they know it is hunting season and are hiding from people....:D

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  14. Gardencook

After DH mowed the lawn today we made a trek over to the discount grocery.

Picked up a few grocery items there including a 5-pound bag of quinoa for $4.49 (Retail $15), a couple cans of organic tomato paste for 39 cents each, another can of hearts of palm was $1.29, a couple packages of whole wheat tortillas for one dollar each and a case of 20 snack-size peaches packed in juice for $6.99 (Retail more than $12).

The BIG deal of the day was supplements! They got a load of them and the owner wanted them to move since they are harder to sell so priced everything $1.99, $2.99 and $3.99 -- even though many of the items retailed for up to $35.

I had to pick through them a bit. Many items weren't something we needed and several of the items we could have used were past pull date. However, I did find some vegetarian supplements from an expensive U.S. organic supplier.

I found two bottles of Women's 55+ multivitamins and two bottles of joint supplements -- each retailed for about $32 a bottle.

I also bought five boxes of Align Probiotics with Melatonin for "Restorative Sleep" that didn't expire until next summer -- retail $30 a box.

Think I probably would have preferred them without Melatonin, but all of the basics were past pull-date. Probiotics are best taken with food, so I usually take them with a meal, but I'm having a hard enough time wanting to fall asleep after eating these days, so I guess I'll have to take these with a snack before bed -- which is when my body seems to want to wake up for the day. :rolleyes:

All told we got nine boxes of premium supplements at $1.99 each and spent a total of less than $18 for products that retailed for nearly $300! Kind of hard to pass on a deal like that!

We hoped that the mid-week farmers market would be running today, but apparently that extreme windstorm followed by a killing frost last week ended it for the season. :(

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  15. KmmCo

*Yesterday we had the chili dogs for lunch. The buns were the pricey part of the meal at I got them at the regular grocery for $2.89. It still came out cheap with the .25 dogs and the marked down chili that I opened and only used a little of. We do have enough for a meal tomorrow or Saturday too...

*Dinner was some shepherds pie that I pulled out of the freezer. We heated up a leftover sweet potato on the side just to get rid of it out of the fridge.

Yesterday we kind of just decided to have a lazy day after getting some much needed laundry done. We walked a little on the shore near the coastal trail and went to Earthquake Park for a while

Today DS took me out for pizza for lunch and he paid for it all. There is still 1/2 of a pizza if he wants some later. My dinner was leftovers from our dinner out in Seward (shrimp and fries). DS wasn't hungry when I heated it up, so he can get his own dinner later. Today was a rainy day so we decided not to do much again. We went shopping for gift items downtown for a couple of hours. I got a t-shirt on the $7.50 discount rack and he bought a northern lights bookmark for himself. I guess neither of us saw a lot we wanted to spend our money on. My t-shirt was one of the nice ones with an embroidered design instead of just printing on it. I really wanted a couple more hoodies but just didn't find any that I really liked.

By the time the sun came out, DS was on the phone with some friends back in Colorado and I gave up trying to get him to do something this evening. It was still a little windy after the rain stopped, so not really super nice out anyway. I just watched a couple of youtube videos and am going to bed soon. Hopefully we will have a nicer day tomorrow to get out and about.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  16. Gardencook

Went to Big Lots to use a $5/$15 reward coupon today. Unfortunately, they didn't have much we needed in stock. DH was in need of another watch, but they didn't have any.

They did have three remaining mesh sink strainers and we discovered how hard they were to find a few weeks ago. DH picked up one at Big Lots after the one we bought at Home Depot fell apart after only a couple days.

The Big Lots/Farberware one is holding together, so we thought it would be good to have a couple extra. I don't know if those are something Big Lots will carry regularly or if they happened to be in an odd lot that was sent to our store.

They had a few larger cans of the "30 percent extra" Campbell's Tomato Soup in stock at $1 each and that is always nice for winter.

We also had a coupon for a free Snickers bar they sent today.

All together, we bought three mesh sink strainers, eight cans of soup, a bottle of horseradish sauce and a Snickers bar and paid $10.60 OOP after tax.

17. KmmCo

*Lunch today was ham sandwiches (picnic outdoors). Dinner was leftover pizza from yesterday....

Spent about $40 worth of gas out sightseeing and $5 for a day pass at a state recreation area that we hiked at. Came home really tired, but I had a few little chores to do like run the dishwasher and take out trash. I was glad that I could just heat up the leftover pizza for dinner and not have to cook anything.

Not sure what we are doing tomorrow. DS is already in bed and I am headed that way in about 10 more minutes.

Cathy, Sherri1480, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  18. Gardencook

Barely motivated myself to a couple grocery stores this afternoon, but it turned out worth the trip.

We picked up some basic groceries at the first store, but did find some small zucchini on markdown for $1 and some Asian skillet sauce on markdown.

We were planning Asian entree' which was on sale and we had a coupon for dinner tonight. We found a bag of noodle stir-fry for half price and it had a 50 cent coupon on the bag.

The second store had a lot of markdowns.

We first found deli deals and got small containers of chicken salad (75 cents), General Tso's chicken ($1.25), Fajita chicken ($1.75), a package of sweet chili chicken wings ($1.25) and a 2-pound carton of Coleslaw ($1.99).

We found a nice package of bakery wheat bagels for 59 cents. They also had a bunch of pouches of pre-cooked brown rice for 70 cents each -- retail nearly $4. That was a bit of a consolation prize, since the previous store had the dreaded "temporarily unavailable" sticker on cups of pre-cooked brown rice on mega sale for 99 cents.

We picked up at least three bags of beets and a bag with four avocados on markdown for 99 cents each.

Unfortunately, that store didn't have the cheese the computer thought it did -- which the larger store doesn't carry either.

We DID notice the smaller store now has the tortillas we tried SOOO hard to get several months ago -- only to be told the other store no longer had a distributer for them. Of course, now all the coupons are expired. At least we can hope they'll still have them in the future.

19. KmmCo

After a couple of days of work, I am on my regular days off again. DS ate a lot of the leftovers while I was gone to work. We never made it to Denali last week, but still had a good time together. We did a nice day trip out to Matanuska Glacier that he loved. The journey was as interesting as the destination - beautiful mountain vistas and fall colors abounding.

He is still sleeping this morning, so I am going to run over to Safeway and get some milk and hamburger buns on sale. I am gonna get out the pulled pork for lunch and make sandwiches and tator tots. For dinner either tonight or tomorrow, I am going bake some salmon that is in the freezer. On Thursday, I have to take him to the airport and say my goodbyes. In the meantime, we have 2 days of adventuring to enjoy.

jcdamomma, jastwins, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  20. Gardencook

Have wasted time spinning our wheels the past couple days, but we've still accomplished a few things.

A few days in advance we made an appointment with our mechanic for yesterday morning. However, when we got there he told us he was having problems with a farm truck that was needed for harvest and wouldn't be able to get to our vehicle. Since it was eight o'clock in the morning, none of the stores I'd planned were open and later I didn't feel like going out after all the confusion.

The mechanic was able to get us in today. Our front brakes were getting worn and we didn't realize both sway bars in front were broken. We don't have any idea when that happened, since we've hardly been driving this winter and there wasn't a problem when he checked it before COVID hit. Our front vents also quit working and air was only coming out on the dash by the windshield.

The mechanic got virtually everything taken care of. The brakes and sway bars give a really nice ride. We now have air coming out the vents, but can't get any air conditioning out of the driver's side vents. So we'll be back to the mechanic's tomorrow. He said he had to re-set the computer, so something must have gone haywire.

We did go by a grocery store after the mechanic. We needed a couple small items for lunch.

Found some other discounts while we were there including some markdown bakery corn muffins and some organic ready-to-bake cookies. Overall nothing that thrilling, but we weren't looking for much. We had a $5 off our next order coupon from produce purchases, so that cut the bill to less than $5.

The discount grocery was close to opening by then. Too bad it wasn't open earlier, because it is only three or four blocks from the mechanic's, but we headed back the other direction again.

Picked up a few more cans of refried beans, a few pouches of heat-and-eat grains and some more supplements there.

I don't actually know if the joint supplements work yet, since I'm still working my way through a bottle of a different brand with different ingredients, however, most of today's didn't expire until 2021 or 2022 and the price couldn't be beat. You can buy 16 bottles at the discount grocery for the same price as one on the internet!

At the very least, the ones I bought today had a lot of immune boosting herbs and with COVID around I figured they couldn't hurt.

We went by the thrift store with the great bag sales after that, however, it didn't open until 11 a.m. and we were too early. We went to another thrift store to waste time. Unfortunately, the store seemed to be filled with obnoxious dealers who were afraid someone other than them might get a bargain. When we went back to the other thrift store after it opened, the tiny store parking lot was packed and the volunteers hadn't yet gotten the bag sale racks out yet so we skipped it.

Moderators: KimShaw