Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today we went to the discount grocery to see what new items they had put out. They had wild, line caught albacore tuna and a deal a couple bottles of agave syrup.

Dropped by a thrift store after that. We can get a 10 percent discount on Wednesdays. Found a new stainless coffee cup for DH.

Hope this one works, since he usually thinks they'll work and then finds out they don't when he's driving. He's got that problem whether he gets the mug new or used. He got the one he LOVES new many years ago and the handle finally broke. The one we got today is very similar.

I also found a citrus squeezer for the travel box, a muffin tin to hold six large muffins and a new lamp to replace the one beside my chair in the living room, so we can move that lamp into the bedroom to replace the one that broke -- sounds like a game of musical lamps. :rolleyes:

From there we went to the farmers market to pick up peppers, beets, onions and tomatoes.

2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Yesterday was D3's birthday and I took 1/2 off work, no pay, to join her, my MIL and a family friends for haircuts at ULTA and lunch at Panera. Since I did not have my hair cut in almost 3 years, I decided the $45 cut and tip was worth it. Lunch at Panera came to $40.90 and when we decided to go to Tanger, the tropical storm winds were bad, there was no power, so stores were closed at 3:30 pm! After deciding to head home, I stopped at a King Kullen near my bank job and spent another $54 on groceries that included an Oreo ice cream cake and 2 rotisserie chickens. Not a frugal day at all.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  3. Gardencook

Headed across town for a senior 10 percent discount day. This store offers a discount on everything, not just house brands.

The discount came to $5.34 on items which were already on sale and brought our total below $50 for four frozen pizzas, two Innovasian chicken entrees, four packs of sliced cheese, 10 one-pound bags of beans and lentils, a large bottle of organic toasted sesame oil, a couple cases of flavored sparkling water (the stuff WITH electrolytes this time ;)), a couple 12-packs of double roll toilet tissue and a few other items.

A bit pricey, but items we would have purchased anyway -- only 10 percent cheaper -- and we got several quarters returned in change!

The store also is offering 4 times points on certain sale items, so we are now well on our way to our third reward level for the month which we can use for fuel or groceries.

There were only two clerks checking, but we managed to avoid the one remaining member of the clique we've had SOOO many problems with in the past. The clerk and bagger we got was very friendly and made our experience pleasant instead of a nightmare.

We've had to ask employees where to locate items the last several visits and they've all been EXTREMELY friendly and helpful and the checker today even asked if we found everything we wanted. It is like shopping an entirely different store with most of the clique gone! :)

Next store we hit a produce markdown bonanza! Bought a total of 18 bags at $1 each which included:

One head of cauliflower
    Two dragon fruit
    One bag with three HUGE avocados
    One bag of mangoes
    One bag of plums
    One bag of nectarines
    One bag of peaches
    Two bags of lemons
    Two bags each with three HUGE tomatoes
    Two bags with a bunch of smaller tomatoes
    Two bags of fingerling potatoes
    One bag with one large russet and several white boiling potatoes
    One bag of apples
    And we left a TON of produce for others to enjoy!

We also got some markdown bananas, a package of whole wheat English muffins marked down to 69 cents and a large can of pineapple chunks for 69 cents. I see fruit salad in our future ... :D

That store is currently offering double fuel points, so we're now up to a nearly 30 cent fuel discount for the month.

4. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

I did get out for a walk at a nearby park after dinner last night. Today was a dreary day - no rain - just cloudy, grey, and chilly. I went to Goodwill and spent all of 99 cents. After that I came back to the apartment and just watched videos in front of my fireplace.... This "weekend" of mine has been a totally lazy one. Pretty cheap though as I spent very little outside of the grocery trip and gasoline.

*The deli pizza that I had for dinner was a square pan pizza. I ate two slices and some garlic toast and have 7 slices left over for later this week.

* I made pancakes and bacon for breakfast. I put enough leftovers for at least two breakfasts this weekend into the fridge.

I did finish entering the July receipts in my everydollar budget. I came out pretty good. The grocery budget was just a few cents under and I only spent $30 too much in the restaurant category. I had a big surplus in the misc/other that made me come out okay for the month. The biggest surprise was income was better than expected, so I had a few dollars left to get sent to general savings.

My goal is no eating out any the rest of this month. I need to make meals from the pantry anyway as extra groceries are accumulating too fast in my cupboards.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  5. KmmCo

Also instead of baking anything, I pulled the frozen cheesecake out to thaw in the fridge. I have some berries to top it with if I want, but plain cheesecake is okay too.

6. KmmCo

Today I made a Costco run. A case of coca-cola was my goal since nowhere had a really good price on sodas. I am tired of drinking pepsi and am out of the other flavors that I bought. I walked out with a bunch of snacks (chips, trail mix, rice krispy treats) and a 4 pack of pork roasts. The snack stuff will be for work and for when my son comes up in Sept.

* I dumped one pork roast into the crockpot with some apple bourbon sauce that I had here. It will make good pulled pork sandwiches for dinner and for work lunches. I will make sides from what I have around here.

The rest of the roasts are in the freezer and I will make one a month. I still have chicken and hamburger that will last a while. There is a bit of ham lunchmeat left that will probably be lunch for a few days. The only meat I might buy is some bacon or sausage for breakfasts over the next couple of months.

*I finished the last of my leftover pizza for lunch today.

I spent the rest of this morning doing some bill pays. I also booked the flight for my son since he finally decided on dates. It was $30 cheaper this week that the price I looked at last week, so no complaints about that for sure. I am on vacation, so we can do a lot of fun stuff. One of the things he wants to do is chase down the Northern Lights, so maybe we will go up toward Denali and Fairbanks for a few days. Everyone tells me the further north you are, the better.

The other big expense is a boat tour that I booked for this Thursday. I am gonna do a 6 hour Kenai fjords tour out of Seward. It will be a long day after the drive down and back, but it sounded like fun. I did use a coupon code to get $50 off, but it still cost $130. A sack lunch is included. I decided not to do one of the hotel packages and will just get up early to do the drive down there. It is one of the more expensive things I will do here, but it sounds like a lot of fun. This is the year to do it because the boat will be 1/2 capacity (thanks to Covid rules) and not crowded at all. The tour company must be at least covering expenses even with the discounts or else they would not keep running the tours everyday.

*I worked 2 hours of OT last weekend. The pay is about the amount that I spent at Costco today though, so not a huge windfall. Every bit of $$ helps in the long run. I might be able to pick up a little more on Fri or Sat night this week too.

I still need to do laundry, but I will probably start it at dinnertime. I ran the dishwasher this morning with all the dishes that accumulated during the work week. I ate my pizza on a paper plate, so I probably won't have to run it again for a couple of days. The crockpot will just get hand washed after I am done with it.

Today is just kinda chore day and relax time. It is rainy out and I don't want to do much outside anyway. If tomorrow is nicer, then I might go for a hike and a picnic lunch somewhere nearby. I am trying not to spend $ on anything else since the Thursday tour was kind of expensive.

7. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

This week, we found out that D2's college in Worcester, MA will do their fall semester online. She was expecting this since they were so late in assigning their dorm rooms. So, I save money by not having to book ferries, but D3 wanted me to schedule a doctor's appt in NYC for her. It will cost me $92 for round trips to the city for both of us, but this option saves me time and will drop me off closer to where I need to be. By booking on line, prepaying ahead of time, I saved $24.

I will not be working 2 days next week and this will put a dent in my next pay check. Luckily, I was able to save some money this summer and while I hate to use it, I am glad it is there if I need it. D1 needs to be in school early on Saturday (we have a limited time window to arrive and move her in) and D3 wants to visit a friend who lives near D1's college. I took off Friday and will head up to my sister's house in CT to stay over for the weekend. They will be on vacation in Mexico next week and will be returning Saturday night. I plan on using a gift card I got for my birthday to help with the gas expense. D1 and I will visit Walmart to get some food/snacks for her to keep in her dorm room.
    Next Monday is our school board meeting and I will get board approved for my job. Just want this to be over, so I have some comfort level of a guaranteed paycheck for the next school year.

8. KmmCo

Didn't do much on Wed. Hung around the house doing odds and ends, then went for a walk in the evening around the neighborhood. I cooked a beef shepherd pie for dinner, then divided the rest up into individual portions. Some will get ate this week and some will go in the freezer for later.

The tour Thursday was excellent. Saw orcas, humpback whales, lots of birds, sea lions, harbor seals, and one lone sea otter. The captain followed the orcas swimming for a half hour and everyone got a chance to take some nice pictures. We went up close to one of the glaciers and got to see it calving. The captain turned off the engine for a while so that we could hear the popping and cracking of the ice. At the end we got to take home a glossy booklet about sea life and glaciers that had lots of nice pictures in it. Some of the kids did the junior ranger program too even though the national park ranger not on board this summer. I think they got a pin or patch or something for completing it.

It was a long day - I left at 7 am and got back around 830 pm. I was glad I had dinner cooked that I just put in the microwave. They feed us a lot for lunch: a huge turkey sandwich with lettuce and condiments, carrot sticks with ranch, an apple, a brownie and an individual cheese square (I ate my cheese as a snack later instead of putting it on my sandwich. The apple came home with me as I could not finish all the food.) You could also choose one soft drink. Hot tea and coffee were free throughout the trip. They sold "iceberg" margarita for $4 in the afternoon with some ice they scooped out of the water at the glacier, but I skipped that since I was driving back right away after the trip.

If they are still sailing in Sept I might take my son as he would definitely enjoy it. It might be pretty cold on the water, but we can bundle up.

9. Gardencook

We made the rounds to a few stores today.

The first stop was Big Lots where we got a free snack-size fruit bag and had a $5/$15 reward coupon.

We next headed to a thrift store at the other end of town. We haven't been there since long before COVID hit, but I figured it was our best bet for getting what we needed.

Our nicely folded bandana masks have served us well, but they are MUCH too hot for summer. When the crisis first hit, I knew masks were virtually impossible to buy and I had a drawer full of brand new bandanas which I use to keep my hair under control when I do yard work. I pick up new colors whenever I see them and have virtually every color in the rainbow to match shirts. I had a large selection of scarves that had never been worn.

I figured we'd wear them for a month or two and then I'd just wash them up and stick them back in the drawer when the panic was over. I had NO idea we'd still be wearing them six months down the road.

The past couple weeks, I've been trying to find masks in stores and most STILL don't have them. The few that do are charging outrageous prices.

OfficeMax sent me an e-mail yesterday for some that were on sale at a reasonable price. They were washable, but wouldn't have lasted long and I thought they'd get us by.

The website thought our store had one box of 10 masks, so I asked DH to drop everything and go check. However, they were out of stock and by then I'd seen instructions for making virtually identical ones on the Internet.

Bought some Spandex athletic cloth at the fabric store yesterday and tried a couple different ideas last night. The masks were cooler today, but still not ideal.

The store didn't have the Jersey knit I was hoping to find. Either people around here don't sew t-shirts or people have bought it all to make masks.

As a side note, I should mention that my sewing machine got packed away several years ago one of the many times we thought we were moving only to have jobs fall through. Along the way I got tired of packing it and unpacking it only to repack it again. I've got all the supplies I need to make beautiful masks -- packed away SOMEWHERE, but without my machine unpacked it really doesn't make sense to tear into so many boxes. I REALLY miss my sewing machine! :(

I knew today's thrift store often has beautiful clothing on bag sales and I decided there we could buy t-shirts made of several different fabrics, wash them up and do some experimenting without feeling badly if it didn't work.

They did have four racks of clothing offered at $1 per bag, however, while going through the racks I found two jackets for DH which still had the tags on them and had never been worn. One was a windbreaker style, so it fit in a bag with no problem. However, the other was a winter coat and while I could have crammed it in a grocery bag it would have been tight. I had a hard time even getting DH to try it on, because it was HOT today, the racks were in direct sunlight and the last thing he wanted on was a winter coat!

In the past they've offered items from the rack for 25 or 50 cents if you didn't want a whole bag, but I guess I should have gone with the grocery bag. Then we would have only spent $2.00 total for the clothing.

Instead the clerks got into a discussion and explained that they were also selling kitchen trash bags full for $3, but they didn't have a sign and probably didn't have any bags out because they were short-handed and in confusion ... In the end they charged us $3 for the coat and an additional $1 for the bag of shirts and windbreaker for a total of $4.

I could have easily gotten all the items into a kitchen trash bag -- if they'd had a sign and bags in sight. It still wasn't a bad deal for two brand new coats and enough fabric to experiment on masks to my heart's content.

I didn't argue the point, because this thrift store also acts as a food bank and unlike our state food bank actually hands out FOOD during crises instead of refusing to accept anything but credit card donations. We figured the extra money might do a bit more good at that store.

Most of the darker t-shirts went directly in the washing machine as soon as we got home, so I should have them ready to work with over the weekend. I got some lighter floral/butterfly print shirts that looked fun to give me a bit of variety, but didn't want to wash them with the dark colors. It is more important to get unisex ones made first, so both of us will have something cooler to wear.

Sherri1480 and Jorainna like this.
  10. Gardencook

Basically, we haven't been out of our county in months and have had no major incidents with household repairs. However, we need to go a few hours out of town on business for a couple days, so ...

We no sooner made our hotel reservation and the kitchen faucet decided to start leaking BADLY ... it never fails. :( DH has my largest stainless steel mixing bowl under there right now, but we can't leave it that way fora couple days.

We have both Lowe's and Home Depot here, but customer service was SO poor at Lowe's that we pretty well gave up on it years ago -- unless it something we can't find at Home Depot.

Before the pandemic at Home Depot you'd be asked multiple times if you needed help and checkers were always friendly and efficient ... you'll note I said BEFORE the pandemic.

We ran over for a faucet tonight and since it has been years since we've needed to replace one, DH was having trouble remembering exactly what the underside of our sink looked like. We knew we had hot and cold water, a faucet hole plus a sprayer, but some faucets showed sinks with more holes than we remembered.

I wandered over to the sinks thinking that perhaps if we looked at those something would jog our memory. Just then an employee walked by and asked to help and when I explained why I was looking at sinks, DH heard a knowledgeable voice and came running. That fellow was really helpful. So far, so good. This is why we generally choose Home Depot.

However, after we chose our faucet the front of the store was a NIGHTMARE.

We arrived at the registers to find NO registers with checkers. They were only self-checkout and we had three gift cards we've gotten with promotions so wanted a checker to make sure they didn't mess up. There was a gal standing doing nothing with her back to the counter completely ignoring customers, but her light was out, her register was closed and she OBVIOUSLY didn't want to be bothered talking to customers.

We were left no choice but to walk clear to the other end of the store where the "customer service" desk was located, however, I don't think "customer service" was anything these employees had ever been taught.

They had three windows open. DH got in the first line and I noticed a sign saying "Returns and online pick-up only." The third window said the same. The window in the middle had no sign, but while I was pointing that out to DH two gals were standing chatting to each other blocking the second window and while waiting for them to move another customer cut in front of us. He apparently had a LOT of business, because the line never moved.

Finally, the gal at the first window who had told DH she wouldn't wait on him opened the register on the side of the customer service desk and the clerk in our line told us to move over there. However, before we could the SAME customer shot in front of us AGAIN and the clerk who had been waiting on him in our line and told us to move said he didn't realize the man had such a big order and told us to move back to his line. WHAT? One man gets TWO clerks and we can't have ANY? :confused:

When we FINALLY got back to his window, others had shot in front and he waited on them instead of us. Then when we FINALLY made it to his window, he informed us he would not take our money, because he was also ONLY handling returns and online orders -- even though his window didn't have a sign.

He pointed at the gal who completely ignored us before at the far end of the store and told us that since she had finally opened her register we had to walk back there again!

I've never been to a store where we had to go to SIX windows/registers before we could get anyone to take our money! Apparently if you don't do online orders or return merchandise you aren't welcome to shop there any longer! :mad:

Certainly hope this isn't the "new normal" at Home Depot.

Next home improvement project I think we'll be checking to see if Lowe's has improved. o_O

11. KmmCo

*Went to Carrs/Safeway today and spent $14 total. I usually don't shop there, but they had eggs and bread on a coupon deal and I needed both. I got 2 dozen eggs and a some ready made pie crusts for making quiche tomorrow. I will make a bacon and a ham one and have the leftovers for work lunches and freeze some for later....

I also got a package of 50% off chicken drumsticks that I put in the freezer as soon at I got home. I will pull that out when my son is here.

Rounding out the list was an orange chicken jarred sauce on clearance. No immediate plans for it, but I stashed it for later. I wanted to get teriyaki sauce but I thought the price was high on what they had, so I will check walmart later.

*Today, I am going to finish off some leftover stuff out of the fridge for my meals. I have a lot of veggies and might make a stir-fry or fried rice dish of some sort with the soy sauce and seasonings I have on hand. I am not too enthused to go back out in the rain to get teriyaki someplace else.

*I picked up 6 hours of OT next Thursday morning. I am going wait to wash uniforms after I come home, so that I can throw that one in too. Trying to do laundry efficiently since I have to put coins in the washer.

*After several trips to goodwill without finding what I wanted, I decided to fashion some closet storage out of a couple of cardboard boxes that I grabbed from work. I had a mini- cube shelf that I wanted to use in the kitchen. My PJ's, house slippers. and a few other things were on that shelf and I was looking stacking bins or something. My solution is better because it was free! I can just toss it out when I am done with it too.

My whole weekend is going to be mostly rainy, so that is why I grabbed the OT this week. I want to make a little $ extra to do some special things with my son when he comes up. I am gonna focus on some stuff in the apartment like cleaning out the fridge today. I might just watch a few videos later too. I spent so much $ last week, that this week I will just be doing free stuff. Maybe I can do something like a nature walk tomorrow if the weather is any better. Otherwise I will hang around the apartment and get some stuff done like housecleaning. Trying to not gas up either until next weekend since I still have over a half tank to get me to work and back. Saving that gas money to roll into next months budget for the visit from my son.

I might go out after dark tonight to see if I can see any of the Northern lights as there is a strong solar storm hitting tonight and tomorrow night. It might still be super cloudy though here. The midnight sun is long gone now and when I come home from work at 11 pm it is definitely dark now....

12. KmmCo

Too cloudy last night to see anything! Of course, the weather was nice again today while I was working. I worked my OT today, then I did my laundry after getting home. My friend had one of her live online jewelry shows. I watched, but didn't buy anything. Tomorrow she is doing earings only, so I won't bother watching as I don't wear those.

*I got lazy Tuesday and didn't make the quiche for dinner. I just heated up some mozzarella sticks and breadsticks for dinner. I did the quiche on Wed for brunch. I packaged 5 work lunches and put the rest in the freezer for later. I got some stuff cleaned out of fridge at least between the fried rice bowl that I made for Tuesday lunch and the quiche.

*Wed night I had some taco meat that I wanted to get out of the freezer. I had picked up a marked down salad mix and one tomato at Fred Meyer (when I went in to grab bananas and some more sale sodas $3/12 pack). There was enough taco meat left today to make a taco salad when I got home from work at 3 pm. (my lunch break was pretty early and I was hungry for a second lunch/early dinner). I am just having some of the leftover breadsticks tonight for a late evening snack. I am trying to keep control of the leftovers, since I will probably cook some bigger meals while DS is here. I guess I will be supplementing my quiche with some salads over the next few days.

* I grabbed a 7 hour shift of OT for next Thursday as well. It is in the same pay period and will come on the payday right after labor day. 13 hours OT =19.5 regular hours or a half a week of extra pay. I am glad that I have the opportunity to do a little OT. I know a lot of people right now are not so lucky to even have a job.

13. Gardencook

What a chaotic couple weeks we've had! The trip we were supposed to make this autumn has been cancelled (not a big surprise). Those coming from Canada and Mexico couldn't get across the border and health problems arose with others.

In most ways it is a big relief, but I had spent hours trying to plan safe travel for a long trip, including finding reasonably-priced, clean lodging with kitchens since none of the hotels are serving hot breakfasts due to the pandemic. A grab-and-go breakfast filled with nothing but carbs wasn't going to cut it and restaurant breakfasts tend to be salty, greasy and expensive.

At least there are some really reasonable cancellation policies right now, but ... :eek:

So now we're headed to Utah which doesn't thrill me, but that's life. They've got some wonderful health food restaurants -- if they'll allow us through the door due to safety precautions, so I honestly don't know if/when we'll get to enjoy those.

We had to make a trip last week to scout out the territory. DH was more excited to get away after six months than I was.

We'll be staying in a very reasonably-priced condo with a nice kitchen later, but fees make vacation rentals rather pricey for a couple nights.

It is honestly hard to find a bad place to stay in Park City. Even many/most of the ski lodge rooms are timeshares with kitchens, washer/dryers and fireplaces -- not really a deciding factor during record high temperatures when you aren't staying long enough to dirty your clothes. For short stays, ski lodges are a little cheaper in off-season IF you watch the resort fees, so we had a beautiful place for a couple nights -- hardly anyone else on the floor with us -- and it was the cheapest place we could find with a kitchen.

Our first room (on the fourth floor with a nice view from the deck) had a broken toilet and we had to call the front desk before we even unloaded luggage. The desk clerk came to our room with keys to a new room on the first floor (a construction area view :(). So much for "contact-less" check-in. ;)

We brought food from home and prepared breakfast in our kitchen, which was nice and a LOT less hassle. It also saved a lot of money, because ski resorts of the rich and famous aren't exactly known for bargain prices.

One of our favorite grocery stores was nearby and we picked up some good discount items there -- especially produce. The first time we went to check out the store and the second when DH dropped me off to fuel the car for the trip home.

The second trip we got at least three nice bags with four peppers each, a head of cauliflower, a large, unusual melon, some pears, a couple bags of grapes and a couple dozen doughnuts for a little more than $3 after a $5 on your next order coupon. I think that one was a reward for buying $20 in produce, but I'm not positive. :p

We had some nice meals -- including a delicious organic salad with chicken, beluga lentils, roasted beets, fresh greens and a lemon vinaigrette dressing at a place we'll definitely have to try again. Beet salads seem to be a big thing in Park City so I'm looking forward to that.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Sherri1480, KmmCo, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  14. KmmCo

@Gardencook I really like Park City. We had a fun vacation there a couple of years ago.

Anyway, it is once again a rainy day here in Anchorage. It was nice and sunny over the weekend when I was working of course.:( I am going to get myself a late breakfast, then take a drive up to Girdwood today just to get out of the house for a while. I want to check out the ski area before winter hits and see if I think it is worth while to go there. There is a little area near me called Hilltop that is super small, but only $30 for a lift ticket so that might be the winner this year.

My plan for dinner is a "just add water" loaded potato soup and some salad. I have that soup mix in my cupboard and thought it sounded good on a rainy day. Lunch will be a sandwich of some sort and some fruit from the fridge.

I did my dishes last night after work, and will do laundry tonight or tomorrow morning. Other than that, I don't have any urgent projects to do around here this week. I still need to hang some artwork on the walls, but no real rush on that.

I got paid yesterday and went ahead and scheduled all my bill pays except the rent. I will do that later this week- no point in letting the landlord have my money a week early if I can keep it in my account a few more days.... I have been going over the budget to get a more realistic feel for what I am spending. In the future, I need to cut back on the grocery category and add little more to gasoline. I really don't need to grocery shop any before my son comes up in 3 weeks - maybe pick up a loaf of bread and a little fresh produce next week is all.:) I am not buying real milk until he comes, just using the powdered stuff I have if I need some for cooking.

15. Gardencook

We've spent some time at Park City through the years, but it has changed so much!

We DEFINITELY like it better than Snowbird, which is probably great during ski season, but we felt trapped during a conference in the off-season. Who wants to drive down and up that steep mountain to Sandy/South Salt Lake every time you need groceries or want to eat out? :confused:

First time we went to Park City was the latter 1980s or early 1990s when downtown and Prospector Square were pretty much the ONLY places to stay. At the time, Prospector Square was almost new, had only one hotel and a few condos.

As soon as we got there, DH's boss back home got food poisoning, was hospitalized and nearly died. DH had to rush back for a few days leaving me at Prospector Square for the conference. We were in the hotel without a kitchen and there were hardly any restaurants within walking distance. That was before hotels started offering breakfast. :(

We stayed away from Park City/Salt Lake as much as possible when they were building/holding the Olympics. The road construction was ATROCIOUS! (Not that road construction is ever done in Salt Lake, but those years it was a nightmare!)

DH had to go to Park City about 10 to 12 years ago for a conference. His one-night Marriott stay was assigned/company paid and when they ran out of rooms at the conference hotel, we got sent to a beautiful time share in downtown.

At least I knew my way around a little there, since DH had to attend a banquet and I was on my own to find a dinner place during the off-season when most of the restaurants were closed.

We went through a couple years ago, only stopped for lunch and we were TOTALLY lost. It wasn't the quaint little Park City we enjoyed years earlier.

We were SO turned around, that we decided to head down last week to get our bearings again before a lengthier stay. I was checking Google from home and thought I had it figured out, but things were still a little murky in my mind.

DH didn't want to stay in downtown and we knew the Canyons Resort (where we stayed last week) would be pretty depressing for a lengthy stay with virtually all the restaurants/stores closed and the lifts not running. The ski lodge where we stayed would have been totally acceptable otherwise, but a LOT more expensive for a long stay.

I was leaning toward the north end, but DH wanted to see the condo complexes -- even if we didn't know the exact unit numbers.

It was good we checked. We confirmed the ground floor unit in the new development was going to be as congested as we feared -- with no view.

The owner of the one that looked like it would save some money wasn't being upfront. Apparently, Marriott has taken over the complex and has closed it to do a COMPLETE remodel. We would have been staying in a construction zone with a parking lot full of heavy equipment, plenty of noise and NO services.

The one we ended up renting has a good location, gets great reviews, has a nice view, is very reasonably priced compared to others in the same complex, has a longer cancellation policy if COVID flares and was the one I probably would have chosen from my recliner back home. :p

At least we know we made the right choice. ;)

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  16. KmmCo

Ended up taking a really nice "walk in the woods" Tuesday even though it was a bit rainy. Not much to the town of Girdwood, but the ski area looked okay. Instead of lunch, I grabbed a filled donut and a giant cookie at a bakery shop. Going to try and save the cookie for work snacks, but the donut is totally gone.

The laundry room is busy today - I got towels in one washer but am waiting to put my clothes in later. I think I will put the soup pot on the stove in the meantime. Skipping lunch probably was not such a good idea.

I think I will spend the rest of the day just watching some videos and resting.

17. KmmCo

Watched some youtube cooking videos last night. Found one called Struggle Meals that was fun.

*Today I decided to go to Fred Meyers for a "stock up" since I had $41+ left from the grocery budget this month. I was after a few more sodas and butter, but found a few other good deals. I picked up extra pasta, Knorr rice sides, Mac-n-cheese, and one boxed potato for the pantry. The Marie Calenders meals were on sale, but shelves were pretty empty so I only got one for the freezer. I also got a couple of Ore Ida potatoes to round out the $5 off 5 items since I only wanted 3 butters. (I am just finishing up the 2 lbs of butter that I brought with me all the way from Colorado.) I picked up a couple of loose celery sticks and one bunch of radishes - I still have salad mix to use up and only have carrots left to put on it. My one meat item was a 14 oz. garlic smoked sausage that was on sale.

*freebie score today: 7 cute necklaces that a neighbor threw in a "free pile". There were 2 more that I didn't want, so I left them for someone else. There is a blue ray player/remote that nobody has taken yet either. One of the necklaces matches up well with a ring I got from my friend.

*Lunch was a box of Mac-n-cheese that I pulled out of the cupboard. I sliced up about 1/3 of the garlic sausage and a couple of green onions that I needed to get rid of to put in the pot. I had the concoction for lunch with some canned green beans.

I then packaged up 3 containers of the same meal for work meals. I will alternate that with potato soup and salad for my meals this week. I tossed the rest of the sausage in the freezer for later. I was hesitant to just leave it in the fridge, since I didn't know if I would use it soon.

*Tonight I will make a nice salad to have for dinner with some fancy cheese and crackers. (I got the cheese a couple of weeks ago, but didn't use it yet. Today I sliced it into "cracker cuts" so that it is ready to go.)

After all the chopping and cooking, I ended up with a whole load of dishes. I loaded it and will start it at bedtime, letting the heat warm up the apartment tonight. Yes, it is getting chilly here at night and I don't want to turn the furnace on since it is still in the upper 50's and 60's during the daytime.

18. KmmCo

I got cut loose from the OT a couple of hours early today.Disappointed about not getting the money, but it is nice outside today so I ran away fast when they said I could go....

I made a quick grilled cheese for lunch instead of eating my salad that I took with me. I will take the salad tomorrow instead.

Dinner tonight will probably be a bowl of the leftover potato soup heated in the microwave.

I threw one load of laundry in the machine. I am gonna go walk at the zoo for an hour or so after I get the clothes out of the dryer. I am going to have to do dishes again tonight - I have a tiny dishwasher and can not get much into it at once:(.

19. Gardencook

Went to our discount grocery today and picked up a few deals.

The major thing we went in for was a Facebook sale the owner advertised yesterday. They had Organic Sumatran Coffee for $1.99 a bag this week.

They also had a few remaining cans of Wild Planet Albacore Tuna for $1.19 a can -- nearly $4 a can retail at our grocery store. I read an article on the sentencing of the CEO on the big tuna price fixing case the other night and that made me mad enough at the big three companies to want to support Wild Planet -- as if buying from a discount store will actually help. :p

However, regular house brand albacore is $1.59, Wild Planet is really good tuna and tested for mercury unlike the other stuff so ...

I remember EXACTLY when tuna prices shot up so abruptly, because the company DH worked for was bought out and he lost his job so I was kicking myself for not buying a couple cases on a case lot sale before the prices shot up. Now that the facts are known, the price-fixing coincided EXACTLY with the dates we remembered. :mad:

From there we went to our regular grocery store where we picked up a few items which matched with digital coupons. I hadn't really done much with this mega sale yet, since it started the day we left town last week. It has less than a week left and we did have some good digital coupons to go with it.

Yesterday, DH ran to another store to pick up 25 cent burritos before they ran out -- which is usually the case with that store. We've been enjoying them for lunch the past couple days.

Otherwise I haven't been shopping much this week. We're still working our way through food we picked up on discount on our trip last week.

20. Gardencook

We made the trek across town to Albertsons for groceries today. They've had some decent deals the past few months, so it has been getting more business than usual. Just hope they finally figure out that when they charge competitive prices we'll shop there more often.

However, we did stop at the customer service desk before we checked out to ask why they gave the store 50 miles away a "special" coupon which we weren't offered in our city. We had both ads with us.

The customer service clerk called someone and was told it was because they just opened a Costco Store there, however, we explained that explanation didn't fit, because they were doing it years before Costco ever announced an intention to build there. o_O (Meanwhile, we've had a Costco here for years, but didn't get special pricing when it opened.)

They've done this to us for years. Even BEFORE the Internet existed the newspaper display ads would have different prices and it has always gotten under my craw. They can't use the excuse of higher transportation costs, when the truck has to drive through OUR city to deliver to the stores getting cheaper prices.

They offered eggs for 10 cents cheaper than us several months ago and we were headed to the other city so I loaded the cheaper coupon -- thinking we'd shop there.

Then things came up and we didn't get to the store, but I'd already loaded the other coupon. I figured at the very worst they'd charge us the extra 10 cents for the eggs, but instead when we checked out the register charged us FULL price since we hadn't loaded the "right" coupon. :(

The customer service gals were surprised, when I explained that today. They told us they'd honor the price anyway, so we got our limit of two boxes of crackers for 99 cents. Would it have killed Albertsons to give our city a couple boxes of discounted crackers, as well?

For a while we were getting a "free" digital coupon by e-mail every Saturday morning. The coupons were only good for three days, which was frustrating because it was more convenient to shop before the weekend, but we adjusted our schedule. Then a few weeks ago the e-mails stopped.

I thought they'd just gone a different direction with their marketing, but since the cracker coupon was good for three days, I now suspect they're giving the other city the three-day deals, but not us. :mad:

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
Moderators: KimShaw