Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

I am thawing more chicken thighs in the fridge. I will cook them for dinner on Wed and will take the leftovers to work again on Friday and Sat. Today I am finishing up a lot of odds and ends. I ate the last of my bread as toast for breakfast.... I still have a couple of slices of pizza to reheat for lunch. Dinner will be a salad with whatever I can throw on it it to get rid of out of the fridge. I might go camping tonight, so the salad can be packed "to go" if I leave after lunchtime.

In the meantime, I am going to get my laundry and dishes started. I will do some tidying up around the apartment too... Major bathroom and kitchen clean will happen on Thursday along with grocery shopping - getting it all done before DH gets here on Friday night is my goal.

jcdamomma, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 3 others like this.
  2. busyasabeecrg

busyasabeecrg °ʅ︵ʃ° Member of the (°‿°) Month 11/2010 - (▬) - Trader Group

KmmCo I am totally enjoying your posts and was wondering if you were in Alaska until I saw the post about Homer...then I knew for sure. I absolutely LOVE Alaska...been almost everywhere there on multiple trips. For retirement, I always thought I would like to live there in the summertime and have a place in the Carribean for the winter season. California used to be a desirable place to live, but not anymore!

jcdamomma, Cathy, KmmCo and 3 others like this.
  3. KmmCo

Camping was nice last night, but just after I went to sleep there was a tsunami warning. My phone alert woke me up and it took a while for me to fall back asleep... I was on high ground so I was not worried about it - other than I hoped the road back did not get damaged. Fortunately nothing came of it and the warning was cancelled later.

I picked some wild raspberries right out of the campground area. The first thing on the agenda when I got back today was muffin making. I had to sample a few of them of course. Not sure it was a terrific frugal move because I spent about an hour picking enough to make a dozen and a half muffins..... On the other hand, fresh berries here are beyond ridiculous price at the store. I bought some frozen ones the other week when I saw the fresh price was upwards of $5 a pint....

*I have the chicken thighs in the oven with BBQ sauce and am baking the last of my potatoes. I think I will do some canned green beans with those for dinner (and my sack lunches...)

Not sure what I am making for meals tomorrow. I need to go to the store anyway, so maybe I will see something on sale that looks good. I have not checked the mailbox for the ads today - I guess I should look at them online before I go out...

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  4. KmmCo

Went ahead and shopped at Fred Meyer tonight after dinner.... Got bread, milk, eggs, and some other stuff that I was out of.... Could not find any ham lunch meat that DH would like so I grabbed a package of bacon - $5.99 for a pound of Kroger brand - ouch - and that was the sale price! Oh, and I had a leg cramp when I got up today so that is a sign I need bananas for potassium - .89/lb is two times what I paid for them back in Colorado.:(

I am really tired tonight. I took a pretty long hike yesterday after getting to the campsite. I have been really busy this afternoon here at the apartment. Since it was raining for a while, I decided to work on some of the housecleaning. I think I will go to bed pretty soon and maybe I can get to Costco in the morning and look to see if they have any lunchmeat or other meat that I want. I still have a lot of hamburger and chicken breast in the freezer, so we won't starve here. I have tuna and peanut butter if I need lunch sandwiches next week and can't find lunchmeat...

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

The bananas work in the long run, but have you tried mustard when you're in the midst of the cramp?

They've actually got scientific studies that prove it works -- even though they can't quite figure out what does it. They've tried mustard, turmeric and vinegar alone and in combination, but ONLY yellow mustard straight out of the bottle seems to work.

My Mom got me onto it years ago and now I always carry the little fast food packets in my purse -- not that you can get them any longer with COVID-19 on the loose.

The cheapest we can get bananas around here is 49 cents a pound on markdown. They are 59 or 69 cents here -- sometimes even higher. I miss the days when you didn't have to worry about the price.

6. busyasabeecrg

busyasabeecrg °ʅ︵ʃ° Member of the (°‿°) Month 11/2010 - (▬) - Trader Group

Gardencook...do you have a Trader Joe's? They have bananas here for 19c each and if I'm lucky and they are stocking them either in the morning or afternoon when they need to replenish what was sold, you can buy singles that are HUGE. I used to buy them at Costco, but pound wise TJ's are by far a better deal.

7. Gardencook

No, unfortunately we don't even have a health food store! :rolleyes: Gotta go to Boise for Trader Joe's.

One of the frustrations of living here ... if you can't find it in the "natural foods" section at a grocery store, your only option is a couple smaller stores an hour away or a MUCH longer drive to Salt Lake (3 hours) or Boise (4 hours).

I watch our discount grocery quite closely for the stuff you can't buy/afford in our stores, but that is all shelf-stable stuff.

Boise's got Trader Joe's, but the stores haven't entered Utah yet. From what I understand it is the same issue getting a foot in the door as Grocery Outlet has -- wine sales -- although I'm confused by that explanation since downtown Salt Lake is filled with brew pubs and bars these days ... it isn't the "Liquor by the Drink" city it used to be. Whole Foods sells plenty of wine and Salt Lake has it along with Natural Grocers and Sprouts.

No Sprouts in Boise, but in addition to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Natural Grocers they've got a WONDERFUL Co-op!

I was actually hoping to take a trip down to Salt Lake for shopping once the travel restrictions lifted a bit, but now they've got protests/riots RIGHT where I needed to shop ... along with a COVID spike. So much for that idea. :(

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  8. Gardencook

All of my Walmart order finally arrived. It came in three boxes. We got some pretty good deals, so we're happy.

I picked up a whole body pillow -- still in the original plastic packaging and store tags still attached at a thrift store last week for $5. That set off a quest for pillow cases that fit.

Walmart had nice zippered ones, but after telling me I could order them online the site changed its mind and told me I'd have to get them in store. Still haven't gotten to the store to find out if they have them. Usually, they don't.

I did pick up a couple colors of satin ones and a blue microfiber one which arrived in two boxes this week.

Then I took a look at the clearance section while I was on the site. Found a nice pair of shoes for DH on clearance for $10.91. They looked a lot nicer when they arrived than they did in the photo and they fit DH well, so we are happy.

They also had some bamboo pillow cases on clearance for $3.90 for a set of two. They were only available in grey, but we're not picky and since we use a LOT of pillows on our bed we always need extras. I was curious, since we've never had bamboo before.

They turned out a lot softer than I was expecting and will work out well for us.

9. Gardencook

Ventured across town for a few deals today. They offered us a free two-pack of beeswax lip balm and a free bottle of tea. We also had a coupon for a free carton of sour cream which was going to expire this week. That was left from the Monopoly game.

The store didn't have the tea and we couldn't find the lip balm so had to ask at the customer service desk. The clerk immediately told us the store was substituting the tea and another clerk offered to get us lip balm from a display in a different part of the store.

They've got a helpful friendly group of employees there these days. It is such a pleasant change from the fights we used to go through at that store due to a small clique with an agenda. One clerk from the old clique was working and we avoided her register for a new and friendly clerk.

We were able to get the other sale items we went for. They had a decent deal on breaded fish fillets, frozen pizza, 99 cent Oreo cookies, ice cream, a 59 cent package of salad mix and a 12-pack of cherry cola for $2.34. We also picked up a few markdown bakery items.

That also got us up to a reward level so we can take a dollar or two off of our next shopping order.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  10. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

A vet visit for Rosie cost $112( visit and medicine) and that took a bite out of my car insurance budget. She had 2 hotspots and one was infected. Hopefully the vet will put the charges thru our pet insurance so we can get a partial refund. The money will be replaced with my paycheck from this week. It was nice thinking I could be ahead in my bills and these unexpected bills put a dent in my plans.
    I know when I have to take D1 back to school and am waiting to hear from D2’s school about her return date. Her school sends a lot of emails but I do not know where she will be living and what date I can move her in there. I need to book my ferries, so the sooner the better.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  11. KmmCo

DH and I have been busy sightseeing this week. I got Sunday off and we went to a historical park (an old mine site). I had to work Monday, but today we went to a wild animal sanctuary and got to see the bears being feed whole salmon. That was a lot of fun. Tomorrow we are planning to go to the sea life aquarium in Seward for fun... No plans for Thursday yet.

*The only meal we had out so far is a carryout from Firehouse Subs... I have been cooking dinners and we were having sandwiches for lunch. Today I had a pot roast in the crockpot for dinner. Served it with some baked potatoes that I made the other day and were just reheated in the microwave. Canned corn for the veggie...

Spent $5 on the historic park for parking and $17 each at the animal sanctuary. The aquarium is the most expensive thing that we are doing this week at $30 each ticket.

12. Gardencook

This was the second week of our new Wednesday Farmers Market. It is held at the large parking lot of a trampoline/amusement gym and there is an Italian Soda drive-thru on the property, as well. I know it is hot, but who would have expected a traffic jam of Italian Soda drinkers?

They were snaking all over the place and it was almost impossible to get into the lot, but we finally made it. I don't know if a large group had just been on the trampolines, if they were running a radio special or what was going on. :confused:

Definitely weird, but not worse than the woman who nearly backed into us when we were leaving. DH had our car at least halfway out of our space before she started backing without a single check. We BARELY missed a collision, by DH pulling back into our space. She had no intention of stopping. Don't they teach people to look behind them any longer? I'd already run into the problem with another woman when I walked to the car while DH was paying.

I corresponded with the owner via Facebook to let her know a lot of us wanted beets and couldn't get them last week, so she brought a small trailer with water filled with beets this week to keep them from wilting. They were really nice beets!

We also picked up some green and chocolate peppers -- they have to be greenhouse grown around here, but still grew on their farm. I got the last two green peppers last week, so they brought a few more of them, even though it is early in the season.

They had a couple large zucchini I bought for making bread and picked up another couple "sweet onions" although they aren't really sweet around here with all the sulfur we have in our soil. No baby carrots this week like last.

I did get one of my mail-order short-sleeved cardigans a day or two ago. It is black and it looks like it will work with my dresses even though it isn't really what I wanted. The navy blue one still hasn't arrived from a third-party Amazon supplier, but they are the same manufacturer so at least I know it should fit.

Of course, as soon as I ordered them for $24 from Amazon, they went on clearance at Walmart for $9.99. They came in about 20 colors, so now that I know they fit I checked the Walmart site, but it is sold out of the colors I can use -- including the black and navy which were in stock right after I paid more than twice as much. I decided on Amazon over Walmart even though they were the same price at the time, because at least the black one could be returned to Amazon if necessary.

I got my tops from a sister company to the one where I got the dresses that fit so well. Ordered the same size tops, but they don't fit. That will cost me $10 to return them. :(

13. Gardencook

Went to a grocery store to pick up a few items today and got some decent markdowns, as well.

The deli had a package of black pepper turkey on markdown which caught my eye immediately. Then I noticed another package with sliced roast beef, turkey and cheddar cheese -- obviously packaged to make easy sandwiches.

The markdown tag claimed it was normally $10, but we got it for $2.49. It did provide some nice sandwiches for lunch and we've still got leftovers.

We also found some teriyaki chicken wings for $2.99 which we picked up for tonight's dinner.

We picked up four packs of four raisin bran muffins for 79 cents each and also found a larger tub of mini banana walnut muffins for $1.59.

Cottage cheese was 79 cents with coupon and we could get five of them.

Found some markdown bags of hot peppers, and a couple bags with small zucchini and one yellow squash, as well.

Of course, after we got home I realized I'd forgotten to check for the Mandarin Oranges -- which was one of the things we went in for!

The car was getting low on gas and we refueled with a $1 per gallon discount that was going to expire tomorrow.

Yesterday, we went by our discount grocery which has gotten in a load of Costco items. They haven't gotten too many items out yet and those they do have move quickly.

We were able to pick up a few cans of canned chicken breast -- something I miss since we dropped our membership. Can't say it was a fabulous price, but since we're no longer paying the steep yearly membership I figured that added to the savings.

Also picked up a few heat and eat quinoa cups that looked like they'd be handy to have on hand for travel. Sometimes you're just too tired to mess with a restaurant meal -- especially in the midst of COVID uncertainties -- not that we've been traveling for months anyway.

Picked up some Kirkland brand flavored sparkling water, as well, so we could compare it to the other brands we've picked up recently and they had some small bottles of a brand of Ginger Beer I'd never tried, as well.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  14. Gardencook

Hadn't planned to hit so many stores today, however when I went to send back the tops that didn't fit, I realized we were out of packing tape. Our one discount store is usually the best place to get that.

There was none at the first store, so we ended up going to the second one which is right next door. They didn't have mailing tape, but I got some "craft" tape -- apparently made for scrap booking and since it was only 69 cents I figured the mail order company would just have to live with "colorful" tape rather than hitting another store or paying a premium price at the grocery store.

Not sure exactly what the tape was supposed to be "celebrating." It had everything from cat-eye glasses to various shades of high-top tennis shoes and lots of stars. :p

The first two discount stores were kind of a bust. We got nice boxes of paper clips for 69 cents at the first one, but they no longer had the wire mesh sink strainers we got there earlier. Ours wore out and now my hair gets caught every time I wash it.

The second one had a decent deal on boxes of blank cards with paintings from famous artists for $1.69 and the craft tape.

The big deal came at the discount grocery -- our next stop -- where we found organic refried beans for 49 cents a can. We hit our stock pretty hard with the quarantine this winter and really needed more. We weren't going to get a better price than that so are set for a while again.

The big stop was our main grocery store and a trip I'd been dreading, because we needed to stack a bunch of coupons.

Thankfully, we knew the clerk who checked us out, so she wasn't really surprised when she had to wait quite a long time for all the coupons and discounts to keep ringing in at the end when she hit the subtotal key. One sweet clerk there gets a real kick out of such transactions when we do one, so it is a shame she wasn't there to see it today. She says she always loves to watch the total keep dropping and dropping ...

I've already mentioned a few of the really cheap items we got on the "What did you get Free" thread. Other things we purchased were items we could use, but got a little break on using digital coupons -- plus a couple paper ones.

DH loves Sun Chips, but they hardly ever go on sale. Today they were $1.99 if you bought three bags and they actually had enough in stock for a change!

I still had a high value $3 insert coupon to use on Bengay -- which was on sale for $5.49 -- making it $2.49.

I was able to use a rain check for Kauai Coffee with a $2 digital coupon making one bag $2.99.

We found some nice bags of $1 markdown fruit including lemons, peaches, nectarines, and apples. Then they also had a noodle stir-fry kit and some salads that looked tasty on markdown. We had a $2/$10 produce purchase digital best customer coupon and the items we bought pushed us over the threshold for that discount.

We also had a $5/$50 digital best customer coupon that was going to expire tomorrow. I HATE large shopping trips, so have put off that "big" trip for much too long.

Since they looked convenient, we also picked up a couple each of 1-pound tubs of coleslaw and potato salad which were marked down to 99 cents each.

We had some of those salads with sandwiches we made from our markdown luncheon meat/cheese combo we got at a different store yesterday. We got four nice roast beef and cheddar sandwiches for the past two days' lunches and now still have enough turkey left for two to four more sandwiches. Not a bad deal for the $2.49 markdown price we paid.

We got double fuel points today so that added a nearly 15 cent per gallon discount to our rewards for next month. They've also started up receipt survey points again after dropping them during COVID. All together we added about 20 cents per gallon to our fuel rewards for next month and will have both a $1 and an 80 cent reward if we can finally figure out somewhere to take a short trip to.

Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.
  15. KmmCo

DH got back out of town on Friday. I had to drop him at the airport a couple of hours before I went to work, so it felt like a long day. Saturday I picked up 1.5 hours of OT so another long day. Today I decided that I would not stay after work, but they didn't ask anyway for OT. I had to help sanitize the breakroom, another room used for training, and the work area though because a coworker went home sick:(. Probably a little overly paranoid, but nobody wants to take chances anymore.... I think the boss knows that I don't mind doing the cleaning anyway...

I got a deal at Starbucks today - a $2 frappacino. I was gonna order one anyway and the lady said they had a new flavor, so I gave it a try.... Caramel ribbon crunch - not bad at all.... She had some berry somethings on sale too, but I like caramel coffees...

No other spending the last three days. I am gonna go to the zoo on my member card this week and otherwise doing free stuff around the house. I spent a lot last week, so I am just going to go easy on the $$ this coming week. I do need to get a few groceries though on one of my days off work....

16. Gardencook

Went to a couple stores today, including the one clear across town. They've been offering us some decent deals lately so we've been making it over there more often.

In addition to the free/cheap things I've already mentioned on the August Free thread, we had enough reward points for a 10 cent fuel reward at the end of the month.

I cashed those in for a digital coupon for $2 off bakery instead. We like the baked good at that store and I figured we generally buy something there as opposed to only getting $1 off general groceries which is the option I normally have to choose if we don't want over-priced name-brand gas. The store doesn't have its own fuel center here.

Today we found some cookies and brownies on markdown so got about $12 worth of baked goods for $3.97 after coupon.

They've been offering us some deals on frozen fish fillets each week, not as cheap as we get them in early spring, but better than anywhere else right now.

They've also been offering some deals on flavored sparkling water and ice cream and today they finally had a price on the beans that have been sitting in a clearance cart without a price for a couple weeks. We picked up five one-pound bags each of lentils and black beans for 49 cents each.

We picked up some other groceries, as well, and since they are having an anniversary sale, they are offering 4x points on select sale merchandise. We got more than 150 points on today's purchases alone and the extra points last a few more weeks, so we might get a bigger reward next month than normal.

Of course, they were out of a couple things (which is pretty standard for that store) however, they had a lot more things in stock than I expected before we entered.

17. KmmCo

Waiting for my oven to preheat. I am doing some biscuits and gravy for late brunch. The gravy was left over from DH's visit and I had to buy a tube of biscuits at walmart this morning.

* I found a ton of markdown goodies at walmart. 24 pack of micro popcorn for $4, deli pizza $3+, an entire frozen cheesecake for $5, Edwards pie $2.35, sub rolls on the baked too much rack $2, canned chili $1.11, a seasoning for .85. With all the stuff that I "needed" I spent $40 total. Not terrible since I did not shop at all last week except to buy the pot roast.

*Menu plan: dinner tonight is ravioli and garlic toast (already cooked just heat and eat), roast beef subs for lunch tomorrow and Thursday, the deli pizza for Thursday night (leftovers going to work next weekend). Not sure about dinner Wed but I have baked potatoes and the canned chili may get used on one of those.

After lunch I am going to the zoo, then I will do my laundry, dishes, and housecleaning later tonight. I don't have any bills to pay until next week, so this weekend will be mostly a chill weekend. Trying to take advantage of any non- rainy days to do outdoor stuff. This week looks pretty good, so maybe I will go hiking a bit or at least out for a scenic drive....

I have been so busy that I have not been updating my budgeting stuff. I started on the July stuff and was was pleased that I was $1 under budget on gasoline. That was an unknown here as I am doing a lot of sightseeing and the gas is more expensive. I have not got all my grocery receipts entered, but I am betting I am over on that category. Restaurant category is way over as DH and I ate out a couple of pricey meals...

*frugal fail: yesterday I got busy and did not eat breakfast. I stopped for carryout lunch on the way to work and spent $14 on a fancy chicken sandwich and fries, It was good food (from a local bar), but awfully pricey. I ended up eating the leftover for work dinner though and my ravioli sack lunch got neglected - that is just going to be my dinner tonight instead.

18. Gardencook

Today was an "adventure" because it was senior discount day at one of our stores -- 10 percent off house brands. We also had a coupon for $5 off a $50 purchase, which meant I've been holding some name brand purchases to make sure we met that level. I HATE these big purchases in one transaction! There are just too many places for things to go wrong. :(

We got some decent deals stacking coupons with the discount and did manage to make the $50 threshold. The clerk hit the total button too quickly, so I didn't get the start amount but it was more than $100 which included sale prices, but coupons and discounts had not yet been subtracted. Without sales, the total would have been at least $125 to $130. After coupons and discounts, the total came down to about $65 -- about half price.

When we got to the car I checked the receipt (which was a mile long due to the recall warning and very confusing) and noticed that three digital coupons had failed to come off, so the store owed us somewhere around $2.44 with tax.

DH went to the customer service desk and got a very confused clerk who couldn't understand what he was telling her. She tried to give him back more than $37 -- had we been dishonest enough I could have been listing this in the "free and cheap" thread. :eek:

DH told her she was giving him way too much and in the end she came up with a total of $2.79, which he figured was close enough considering how confused she was.

Of course, when I got home I noticed a 70 cent paper store coupon which looked like it scanned didn't come off on the receipt. Oh well! :rolleyes:

We are getting double fuel points right now, so we did earn about 15 cents per gallon in fuel rewards. That puts us to 20 cents per gallon we'll probably use in September.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  19. grandma608

grandma608 Active Member Trader Group

i had a good day Tracked my budget in Dave Ramsey's Every day site. We are going to get those student loans paid quicker. wish my luck

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, KmmCo and 2 others like this.
  20. KmmCo

Zoo was fun. Spent $2.60 at the gift shop on some cool postcards and already sent one to my son....

*I made a microwave popcorn last night for a snack and only ate half. The other half went in a ziplock and into my lunch bag for work. I might just skip the Costco trip and bake something sweet for snacks this week with what I have here. I have a bag of unopened potato chips and can divide them up for salty snacks for the rest of the week. (I already ate a slice of the Edwards pie and the other piece will be gone before the end of the weekend.)

Had the last of the biscuits and gravy for breakfast today. I looked closer at that chili can and realized it was the no beans one, so I put it away and grabbed one with beans out of the cupboard for today....

My only project for today is to go get quarters from the bank for laundry. I try to keep some ahead for the next time, so that I don't have to worry about finding them at the last minute. I might top the gas tank off too as I have only a half tank. It would be enough gas to get me through the next week, but I just like to keep the tank full just in case....

I am being lazy so far this morning and just watched some youtube cooking videos... I will decide what to do this afternoon after I eat lunch. Next week I am going to try and do a glacier cruise out of Seward, but I want to think about going down the night before and getting a hotel or cabin rental just to make sure I am there on time.... The boat company had packages but they list double occupancy and a per person price online, so I will need to call to find out actual price for a single....

Moderators: KimShaw