Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Mostly, we've saved money by not going out much this week. The sales weren't terrific enough to motivate us and we had plenty on hand at home.

Of course, fighting a computer tooth-and-nail while trying to do research hasn't helped matters any. I'm getting about six updates a day from Microsoft and each and every one of them shuts down my computer at least once, sometimes as many as three or four times! However, I have been keeping a diary and it is DEFINITELY the updates doing it. When Microsoft isn't doing updates, the computer behaves normally -- it is just the updates take up 12 to 18 hours of the day! Why bother to tell Microsoft your "active hours" when it completely ignores them anyway?

We're convinced our slow Internet is part of the problem, but far from all of it. Ever since people started working/going to school from home with COVID-19 things have been IMPOSSIBLE and we are far from the only ones angrier than hornets at a phone company that won't admit the infrastructure needs updating. When we check locally NONE of the reviews have ANYTHING positive to say about their service these days. Some people elsewhere in the state are going without Internet entirely for one to three days at a stretch, but still being charged full price for non-existent service.

Still the ranking sites claim the phone company is the best Internet in the region. Even cable provides worse service!

After fighting the computer all week, we finally went shopping today when two of the stores had double fuel points. All together, we hit three stores.

The first store had a small (less than three pounds) boneless cross rib roast marked down to $2.39 a pound. We really weren't planning on roast tomorrow, but I wasn't going to pass on beef at that price!

They also had some small roasts (various cuts) marked down to $2.99 a pound, but I'm trying to clear some of our freezer out, not refill it, so had to pass. :confused:

That store also had some Nestle Crunch six-pack, mini bars (the ones that usually sell for $1) marked down to 25 cents each. I splurged on a couple single serve and one larger bag of peanut butter and chocolate covered almonds. Not quite sure why they mixed peanuts and almonds, but that's life ... they were cheap enough to give them a try. :p

The same store had some organic granola bars marked down to 79 cents a box. They weren't exactly our first choice of flavors, but at that price we'll eat them.

We next dropped into our little discount store. It got a shipment of groceries in last week and they've been trying to get them out on the shelf, but the owner posted a video saying the merchandise is going out the door as fast as they put it out so I wasn't expecting much.

We did get one-pound bags of long grain brown rice for 50 cents each. That has been REALLY difficult to find around here for months. That store had 50-pound bags a couple weeks ago. I didn't want that much brown rice at once so passed, but I noticed by the next week all the bags were gone!

We also picked up a couple bags of lentils for 69 cents each, since they had the nice small ones that cook so quickly. Could have gotten a decent deal on black eyed peas, but we've got plenty of them.

They had gotten a few more canned goods on the shelf, but nothing we really needed and it was obvious by the blank spaces those had been selling quickly.

Last stop was our regular store. We picked up a few odds and ends there. I had a $1 digital salad coupon about to expire so picked up a fiesta coleslaw kit which was on sale this week -- making it $1.50.

I also had a high value digital yogurt coupon that brought a four-pack of stevia sweetened yogurt down to $1.24 after mega sale. A couple printable coupons gave us gourmet ice cream for $1.24 a pint as well and a couple organic pizzas which gave us just enough to make a single round of mega sale.

The sale isn't too impressive this time around -- especially when we still can't get the tortillas I want so badly after the distributor went out of business. :(

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

I got out for a scenic drive and picnic on Friday. I also hiked a bit at a park near my apartment on Saturday afternoon. On Sat morning I went to the farmers market and picked up only 2 items - a small bunch of radishes and one turnip. I saw a lot of nice stuff that I just did not need yet. I will go back though and pick out more stuff next Sat to try out.

Other than the produce from the farmers market, I am not buying much this upcoming week. I might need some bread if I don't bake anything of my own. I have plenty of eggs and milk to last the rest of this week.....

I finally got the internet hooked up on Thursday morning, so I ended up bing watching my youtube channels that day. I am caught up on all but one that I follow. I also found a futon sofa that is just what I wanted for the living room. Now I have a guest bed and comfy place to sit. The only thing I will be locking for later is a TV stand and TV, but I think I will wait a couple of weeks so that DH can help me hook it up when he comes at the end of the month. I am sure he is looking forward to that Covid test he has to have in order to visit. Better that the 2 weeks of quarantine that I had to do.... I have a few small items that I need like a veggie peeler, but if I don't find them at the thrift store then I will hit up walmart later.

I cooked some good crockpot chicken on Friday and have that for work lunch today and tomorrow. I also froze one portion to eat later. Saturday, I made sloppy joes and ate some on Sunday for lunch. I still have a lot of it left. What I don't eat by Wed will also go in the freezer.

Payday went off without a hitch today! I was worried that some issues might come up with that.... I got my bill pays scheduled for tomorrow. Not a lot of $$ leftover but I think I don't need to spend much the next couple of weeks. I have a full tank of gas and plenty of food in the apartment.....

I am off work for 4 days this week but have no plans specifically. It is a holiday weekend coming up so places for camping might be a little crowded.

3. Gardencook

After months of sitting at home I'm really out of shape so have been trying to get out of the house more. Unfortunately, there really isn't much to do. I'm not in the mood to tackle walking the steep hills in our neighborhood yet. So today we went to a few stores.

I had a $5/$15 Big Lots coupon and hadn't been in there for a couple weeks. Unfortunately, they had just gotten in a shipment and employees had many aisles blocked with stock carts.

The first thing we noticed was how badly standards had dropped since we were last there. Last time, all the employees were wearing masks and the clerk at the front counter was busy disinfecting the front register area when we walked through the door. Today we saw few masks, no cleaning and little in the way of social distancing. What a difference a couple weeks makes. :(

We didn't care to linger too long and a lot of shelves are still very bare so we simply picked up some light bulbs, African Black Soap and a neat looking bottle of gourmet "Lemongrass Soy Sauce." It was enough to get us to the coupon threshold before leaving.

All the stores that sell discount groceries really seem to be hurting right now, because they can't find discount groceries to stock their shelves after all the pandemic panic buying.

We went to a couple thrift stores after that, thankfully both seemed to be taking the pandemic more seriously.

Didn't buy much, because I'm trying to get rid of things not drag too much more home. However, the first store had a small, handheld veggie spiralizer I wanted for our one travel kitchen box -- as well as a larger counter-top spiralizer. The counter-top one didn't look like it had ever been out of the box. The items inside were still wrapped in plastic.

The two items cost a grand total of $2.75.

The next store had a large plastic storage bin and two brand-new light blue dress shirts in DH's size. They were still in original packaging and had never been opened. What's more they BOTH had pockets!!! Anyone who has read my previous posts will know what a tough time I've had finding those the past few years.

My Oster Kitchen Center is nearly 40 years old and is beginning to sound like it. They had a base in the store a few weeks ago, but I didn't care to pay $15 for a base without bowls, beaters or kneading hooks.

The machine was still there today and that store rotates stock using colored price tags. Each week an older color is 50 percent off and I wondered if this week might be the black on the mixer price tag. DH went to the register to ask since they didn't have it posted and that was indeed this week's color. However, when we took the mixer base to the "testing center" outlet that mixer sounded worse than mine, so we passed. :eek:

I didn't think the shirts were a bad deal at $5 each and had picked them up while DH was at the register asking about the discount color. However, it was only on our way to return the mixer base to the shelf I looked down at the cart and noticed the shirts also had black price tags. I was more than happy to get them for $2.50 each.

We had an 80 cent per gallon fuel reward that expired today. We still had nearly half a tank of gas leftover from last months fuel reward, however, it was use it or lose it. Kind of hard to use fuel rewards when there is no place to go. ;)

I ran into the store while DH fueled the car and found some good ground meat discounts as well as a couple loaves of markdown bread. That should keep us going for a while.

After that, we dropped into Starbucks to use some expiring stars and then went to Denny's where I had a coupon for a free meal.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  4. KmmCo

Yesterday we had a potluck at work so I filled up on that. I ended up bring a few leftovers home that I had taken - chips and dips - so I have snacks for a while...

Today I ate my work lunch that didn't get eaten yesterday. I am going to do sloppy joe for dinner along with some of the leftover chips. No cooking for me today....

Tomorrow I am going to go do a trolley tour of the city - $20. I figured it would be fun and informative. I have no plans for Fri or Sat yet.

My new friend from work wants to do a Kenai fjords boat tour from Seward, but one of the tour companies shut down yesterday due to local covid outbreak, so we will have to wait a bit and see... It is Orca whale season and she wants to see them so I don't want to wait too late. Another gal wants to do a guided glacier hike later this summer and I told her yes. Both of those are a little more expensive, but they sounded fun.

I am off work today, but will stick close to home as it is a possible callback day (not likely - but I don't want to go too far away). I have most of my chores done as I did 2 loads of laundry yesterday before work. No grocery shopping needed except to pick up sodas on sale - not a dire emergency. I won't need to run the dishwasher either until tomorrow. I think I will relax a lot and just rest a bit. I might take a book out on my patio since it is a pretty day outside.

5. Gardencook

Went to a couple stores this afternoon. After so long staying home, it is really hard to get motivated when I really don't need anything.

We didn't go to the Goodwill when we hit two other thrift stores yesterday so decided to go there today. Our timing was better than usual. It seemed like they had just restocked the plastic bags filled with miscellaneous items that they hang on the back wall. In the past they've been pretty picked over when we got there.

Today we found a few bags that had miscellaneous light bulbs -- unused and still in their cardboard packaging. We found two bags that had a good variety of specialty bulbs that work in our house. We ended up with a couple small flood lights for the recessed lighting above the kitchen island, a couple packs of chandelier bulbs for the dining room, a package of bulbs for the overhead fan in the bedroom and a couple three way bulbs for the living room lamps. Those two were lower wattage than we like, but we'll make them work with the lamp on the far side of the room. We paid more than the cost of the two bulb bags for four three-way bulbs at Big Lots yesterday and we got a REALLY good price there, because we had a coupon.

We also bought a bag with two retractable tape measures including a nice, heavy duty Stanley one. We got quite a few of them many years ago -- free after rebate when hardware stores used to have tool rebates -- but DH has a habit of losing or breaking them, so I figured a couple extra wouldn't hurt.

There was also a bag with miscellaneous kitchen gadgets -- including a spatula like those DH melted, so at least I got one replacement!

The store went to a uniform pricing structure when it reopened after COVID-19. That means some things are a good deal and others in poor condition aren't, but these seemed to be worth what we paid. The bags were all $1.99 each and we get a 10 percent discount for being "old" so $1.80 each. Sure miss the weekly half price color tag sales they had before, but that's life.

At least we FINALLY remembered to ask for a price list at the cash register this time. I folded it and found a special place in my purse to keep it. Usually we're running all over trying to find one of the few spots in the store where the list is posted -- and I kind of think since they are so rare, people are stealing them. Seems like there are fewer and fewer posted each visit.

After that, we went to the discount grocery which had a few more things we could use today. The shelves have been pretty bare since they were nearly wiped out by the grand-reopening after they moved during the first weeks of COVID-19.

Today they had large 26.5 oz. cans of Bush's Black Beans for $1.09 each. I like the large cans for black bean soup, rather than having to open two smaller cans. Considering they usually charge that much for the 15 oz. cans, I didn't think that sounded like a terrible deal.

They also had the 15 oz. cans of Bush's Heirloom Jacob's Cattle Beans for 59 cents each. I know after they are canned they won't look or taste any different than pinto beans, but I still couldn't resist.

They had some high value coupons when they first brought them out, but of course, none of our stores sell them. Even if our stores ever got them in, I know they wouldn't be 59 cents a can! ;)

They had some small cans of chopped black olives, organic steel cut oats canisters, bags of organic mixed dried fruit, whole wheat matzos and Kashi cookies, as well. Then this week's deal was large bags of tostada shells for 25 cents each.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Sherri1480, jcdamomma, KmmCo and 2 others like this.
  6. KmmCo

Trolley tour was fun. Spent a little more money though... $2 tip for the driver, $5 for parking, $10 in souvenirs at some of the downtown shops, and $9 for a carryout lunch on the way home.... I did get a coupon book from the trolley check-in guy that had a couple that I might actually use...

I am going to get a zoo membership ($40) because it is open now. It pays for itself after 3 visits, because one visit is $17. Right now only the outdoor stuff is open but the point of going to the zoo anyway is to get outside and see the big animals like bears and tigers. The zoo does stay open in the winter - most of the animals are cold tolerant - more so than the humans that might come to visit...

*I did not cook again yesterday. Ate cereal for breakfast, lunch was carryout, and I snacked on some odd and end stuff for diner. I have frozen stuff for my work lunches the first couple of days.

My schedule is changing, so I only work 2 days then have my 3 days off again. After that I will be on my regular 4 days on, 3 days off....

This morning is super quiet around the apt. complex. I think a lot of people already took off for 4th of July outings. I am going to just hang at the apartment for a while this morning. Maybe after lunch I will get enthused to go do something. From what I understand, half the city heads south on holidays. I will avoid that crowd and just hang in town for the next couple of days.

7. KmmCo

*Scored 12 packs of soda for $3 which is a great price here. They run from $5 and up normal price. I have 12 of them stashed in my hall closet now....

* lunch is another round of sloppy joe. I am going to warm up some french fries leftover from my carryout lunch. I put the rest of the sloppy joe in the freezer for later.

*Dinner is going to be some chicken thighs with misc. leftover sides from the fridge. The thighs have 3 in the package, so there will be leftover chicken for tomorrow. I might go get lettuce at the farmers market and do up a salad with some chicken on it for lunch tomorrow.

8. Gardencook

Your soda stock-up reminds me of my college days @KmmCo.

Obviously, Safeway was much cheaper than the convenience store a block away from my dorm, but Safeway was about 10 or 12 blocks away and I didn't have a car. What's more, the trip TO the store wasn't bad since it was all downhill, however, the trip back to the dorm was UPHILL. :eek:

Since I was a broke college student, every cent counted. When Craigmont (Safeway's house brand at the time) went on sale, I'd walk to Safeway and buy two or three cases, then I'd ride the bus back to my dorm so I didn't have to carry all those heavy cases uphill all the way home. :p

Thankfully, the pop came in single layer boxes like canned vegetables do today. I think you got what amounted to four six-packs -- 24 cans to a case and at that height, they would just barely slide under my bed. The square packs they sell today wouldn't have worked AT ALL. :(

Don't remember how many cases I could get under the bed, but I'd sometimes make a couple trips so all the space was filled. Then that would last me until the next good sale when I'd do the same thing all over again. :rolleyes:

9. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

On Wednesday, I started back at my bank job and I am fortunate they let me work full days for my schedule. Due to Covid 19, workers are doing split shifts with half the staff working 8-2 and the rest of the staff working 12-5. They get full pay but do not take a lunch. I am allowed to go to lunch and am happy to do so.
    Big happenings at my bank this week. After not checking my account for a week, I was surprised to see a deposit in my account. It seems every employee received a bonus and I was thrilled. As a part-time seasonal worker, I never expected to be considered for one. However, my bank has an employee appreciation week plus a big party at a catering hall each year. Since that did not happen this year, they decided to hand out bonuses. I am very appreciative of the extra money and it will pay for expenses when the girls go back to school.
    Next big news was that my bank will merge with Dime Bancorp. This news took many people by surprise. We will take on the Dime name and I hope to keep my job next year. My manager told me the branches should be fine but the operations group may see some layoffs. Operations will be moved from Brooklyn to Long Island so I believe the people that work for Dime in Brooklyn will not want to travel to Long Island. Since this is my summer job, I hope to be able to work a few more years. I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Sherri1480, KmmCo, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  10. KmmCo

At the farmers market, I got a huge bunch of leaf lettuce. I also grabbed some organic zuchinni and yellow squash, and a little bit of broccoli. $4.5o total.

I am not grocery shopping any this next week. I have a list of items that I can fix on the fridge just in case I can't think of something....

Today I am starting my "new" work schedule. I will be coming home in broad daylight for a while as it is still light at 1030pm.....At least I will be able to stay up a bit after work. The shift I was on got me home at 2 am and I had to go straight to bed.

*because I stayed close to home this weekend, I do not have to gas up yet... I don't use much going to work as it is pretty close - 8 miles each way. Gas is $2.35 a gallon here - cheaper that Cali but more expensive than back home in Colorado. I drove a lot in June and and probably went way over my gas budget.

I have a huge pile of receipts that I did not enter on my budget. I guess I had better get to that project at some point.... My initial grocery stockup was a bit of $$ to, but now I have all my basics in the cupboard to last a while...

DH is coming up at the end of July. Since he is doing the Covid test at the airport inbound, he will be in the apartment fixing his own food till the results come back in 48 hours. After that (providing he tests negative) we will be able to go eat out and I plan to take advantage of him being here to try out a few restaurants. We need to go to Chilis at least once too - I have not been there since February!

Yesterday, I went to the thrift stores and spent $20 on little stuff. I did find myself a nice pair of LL Bean pants for $2.50. One of my pants that I brought with me is now downgraded to camping pants because they got a hole in them.... I am running out of my thrift store cash, so I need to stay out of there for a while really. I have everything that I need for my apartment except a TV and TV stand, but I am going to go look for those later. This upcoming "weekend" I want to get out and camp, so no craigslist shopping or thrift store stops.

11. KmmCo

This morning was chore time... laundry, dishes, etc. I also got an oil change on my van. Not cheap - $85 for the oil change and an extra $15 for the needed air filter change...:eek: Anyway, I got it taken care of since I was overdue.....

I think that I will try to get a nice walk in after dinner tonight... I am going to go camp out on Wed night for sure.

*I cooked a lb of pork sausage for breakfasts. I did half into patties and half as just crumbles. I had a couple of patties and and a fried egg for breakfast today. The rest is in the fridge for later...

*I am making taco meat for dinner tonight. I have on my menu plan tacos, nachos, or taco salad in no particular order of preference .... I am thawing a pound of meat, but I may do 1/2 for the tacos and save the 1/2 for some spaghetti on Thursday night. That way, the leftovers can make two different things for my work lunches next weekend.

Tomorrow night I am just going to do a dried soup mix or a Mountain House dehydrated meal on my camp stove for dinner. Quick and easy....

*I made tuna salad for lunch and ate some of that with crackers. I have a few slices of bread and will take a tuna sandwich with me for tomorrow's lunch on the way to wherever I camp at.

The only shopping I am doing today is to go pick up a small tomato and an onion at the grocery. I will just pay for it with the loose change that has been building up from my cash spending the last few weeks... I guess I will walk over to the store since there is not much to carry back. I should have stopped after my oil change since it was on the way back - don't know why I didn't just do that earlier.....

12. Gardencook

Hit a couple grocery stores yesterday to use some best customer coupons and it was a 10 percent discount day on house brands at one store. Got some decent deals on a few staples, but of course not nearly as many as a few months ago.

We got a couple bags of frozen broccoli for about 68 cents each, a box of copycat Wheat Thins for a little more than $1, a couple loaves of whole wheat bread for $1.34 each and some better than mega sale deals on potato salad and beef summer sausage when we stacked deals. Also picked up some markdown deals: wheat bagels were 59 cents a bag, English muffins for 69 cents and huge banana muffins were $2.99 for six and a couple markdown salad kits were discounted a little.

We didn't really need any meat and even the markdowns were pricey on it.

Not the most exciting trip, but they were deals we could use.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  13. KmmCo

Yesterday was a rainy day mostly. I took a long drive down to Homer and walked around for a while there - the rain slacked off for a while in the afternoon and I was able to get some great photos. I checked out a couple of campgrounds on the way back and decided not to stay after all. It would have been a waste of $ to just sleep in the van when I was only a couple of hours from the apartment. (Too rainy to get out at the campsites and do much....) I found a great campground right on Kenai Lake that I will go back to later. It also had a nice day use area next to the boat ramp that would be great for picnics.

I did do a picnic lunch to save $. Instead of getting an expensive dinner in Homer, I decided to grab some carryout at Soldotna on the way back. I got an Arby's combo meal ($9). I finished the coke but not the fries or sandwich, so I ate the rest of that for lunch today.

I did not spend anything other that the food and about $40 worth of gas.If the weather had not been so bad, then I would have done the $18 for a campground. I am glad that I looked at the campgrounds on the Homer Spit before reserving there. They are $30 - $45 and were just basically a parking space with a view. Not really a nice place to camp.... The RV parks in town were a little nicer, in my opinion. There was free day use parking on the Spit, but during normal tourist season it would be hard to park there. Plenty of spaces during a pandemic, but half the shops and restaurants were not open at all. I was literally the only out of state vehicle tag there. The rest of the "tourists" were Alaskans. I did not even see that many rental RVs. I am not surprised though by how many people here have outdoor "toys" like RVs, boats, ATVs, etc...

This afternoon, I am going to rest and do a few projects here at the apartment. My work stuff is ready for tomorrow. It looks like an overccast and chilly day. I suppose I should actually get out of my PJs at some point though....

14. Gardencook

Still picking up a few produce discounts here and there, although we haven't gone out as much so haven't gotten as many deals.

Last week, I did find some nice bags with about five or six apples for $1 each. Normally we don't get more than about two or three to a discount bag and they aren't really worth buying then -- at least in my opinion.

We also picked up about three bags with small white baby potatoes. I weighed them, and there were about 2-1/2 pounds of potatoes per bag for $1 each. I didn't think that was a bad deal even though a few of them will need to be trimmed. At least they hadn't turned green as is sometimes the case.

Did kind of sink my plans for this week, however. I noticed at the end of last week that a farm about 30 to 40 minutes away has a nice crop of blue baby potatoes they are selling for $1 per pound. They've also got sugar snap peas -- $3 per pound -- a bit dear, but also tasty.

They always have a self-serve shed where customers pay on the honor system this time of year so someone doesn't have to sit there all day. However, with the pandemic they are asking people to call in advance to make sure they'll have produce ready.

I happened to mention to DH that I wondered if it justified the drive and he thought it was a good idea. Mostly, we were just in the mood to do SOMETHING out of the ordinary after all these months. :p At least we'd see some different scenery.

I honestly thought about passing on the white baby potatoes so I could buy my favorite blue ones out of town this week, but the frugal side of me got in the way.

I guess we'll wait a couple more weeks, hope the farm gets a bit more variety ripe to make the drive worthwhile and settle for blue potatoes that are a little larger -- if they still have some. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, today was another produce stock up day -- pricey, but necessary. We were out of celery, carrots, beets, peppers, cucumbers, red onions, fresh ginger, garlic and needed some fresh tomatoes for a couple recipes.

I had a 40 cent best customer coupon on the celery. The 5-pound bags of carrots were cheaper at one store than the others, and it had sale prices that beat the others on most of the other items. Not a huge savings, but every little bit helps.

15. KmmCo

I am doing a personal pantry challenge for the next two weeks so that I don't spend $$ at the grocery until DH comes up.I pulled a leftover container of meatloaf & mashed potatoes out of the freezer for work lunch yesterday. Today I made an omlette with sausage crumbles, green onion, and cheese for breakfast. I made some tostadas from leftover refried beans and taco meat for lunch. I have a bit of tuna salad left that I might finish for dinner tonight....

*I am thawing chicken thighs to cook tomorrow. I still have produce from the farmers market to use up as the sides. It will make dinner plus two work lunches for next weekend.

I am working a half day of OT on Thursday voluntarily. Some people are getting mandatory, but one other gal and I volunteered so that at least two of the low seniority people won't get forced to do it. I figured it was only 4.5 hours in the early morning so I can be home in time for lunch and still have my afternoon free. Some tourists are starting to come back and we are understaff by 53 people at our location. More money in my pocket is the way I look at it....

I went to a thrift store this morning and got an ironing board. My work clothes are coming out of wash too wrinkled. I will get a new pad at Walmart and am still looking for an iron. I think I will go to the other thrift store now and check it for irons before going to walmart.... I also got a few small kitchen containers (rubbermaid), a book, an extra sheet for the futon/bed and a little decor thing. ($1 for a cute little wooden sailboat to set on my end table.) Altogether I spent $14.

*Payday was yesterday and today is bill paying day. I got a decent check as my salary increase did come and I cut my retirement contribution down a lot. I was just guessing at 15% for retirement and it seems to be okay. I shouldn't have to go any lower than that. I am sad that I had to do that though as it was nice to be able to max out the 401(k) last year. I think I probably still put more money in that a lot of people do though. Most of my coworkers only do the 3% that is automatic or do the 5% to get the match money only.

The electric bill came and was not bad ($46). My natural gas should be minimal until winter - won't get billed on that for another month - but had to pay the refundable deposit this week.

* I got an award from my Denver workplace and had to go thru a bunch of hoops to get it transferred to payroll here. Supposed to be $250, but I don't think I will get it for a month or so anyway. I guess it will be a nice surprise when it shows up....

16. KmmCo

I found a decent enough iron for $3 at the thrift store. The pad/cover was almost $10 though at Walmart, but I wanted a nicer one. I grabbed some pioneer woman paper napkins for .75 clearance - most were very 4th of July but I found a few that had blue, red and yellow flowers that were more a general summery style.

At the thrift store, I found a cute little crafter's sewing machine brand new in the box for around $4 (after my senior discount). I grabbed it because I can use it to do little sewing projects like hemming stuff or repairing clothes if needed.... I really debated about bringing a sewing machine up with me and decided against it because of space considerations. (I have several machines at the house in Colorado including a nice one that my mom had.) I got a few more kitchen items too that I thought would be useful....

I am now realizing it is 4 pm and I really have not done anything I had originally planned for today other than calling my son.... Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I might go for a nature walk this evening at a place I really like called Potters Marsh - there is a boardwalk that is great for wildlife watching there. It is not too far away either, so not much gas burned up to get there. It is an absolutely beautiful day outside - warm and sunny.

17. Gardencook

We hit a discount bin bonanza today! Been a long time since we've gotten one of those.

Our small store was getting rid of health food items again and they often markdown items 75 percent or more to get rid of stuff.

Most of the items we got were organic with a few non-organic specialty items tossed in, as well. We got:
    Polenta rolls -- 79 cents each
    Heat-and-eat organic whole grain rice medley pouches -- 69 cents
    A single box of Parmesan brown rice risotto -- 99 cents
    A box of brownie mix from a local mill that is pricey -- 69 cents
    Chocolate chip oat bites -- $1.25
    Green tea bag boxes, 40 count -- 69 cents
    Organic Spice Rubs -- $1.25
    Truffle White Cheddar & Onion Thyme Alfredo Sauce -- 69 cents

Then to make sure we didn't get too much healthy stuff, the store had 16-count fresh bakery cookies for $1 and we picked up some deli white meat chicken chunks at a substantial markdown price as well.

By the time we added a markdown stir-fry kit and some additional groceries including a good deal on granola bars we paid a little more than $47 for groceries that would have cost nearly $164 at retail! (I couldn't resist and looked up prices when we got home.) ;) ... and we got a $3 OYNO Cat, so it really only cost us about $44.

We dropped by the discount grocery on the way home and picked up turkey gravy for 25 cents a jar, a pint of organic mayo for $1 and a few other items -- but after the first store, the second was rather anti-climactic. :p

18. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Well, it's that time of year again....when I have to apply for my school job that I have had for the last 6 years. My online interview is Monday at 10:00 am and my bank job said I can use their conference room. Last year, I never had an interview and found out I had the job by reading the August school board minutes. This year, they only posted 2 perm sub positions and not 3 like last year. Supposedly, if more than two people apply for the positions, they have to interview. I have an inkling of who might have applied and my competition is 20 to 30 years younger than I am. My years of experience and permanent teaching certification might be enough to secure me a job, but you never know. So any prayers on Monday would be welcome.
    Today, after work, I took the van to run some errands with D3 and it was running rough. This summer I was hoping to avoid a van repair bill, but I am annoyed that d3 did not tell me sooner about the problem. Tomorrow, I will put some oil in the van and see if that will help, since the oil is low. UGH!!! In June, I checked the oil and it was fine and we had it changed in May. It is my hope to keep this van going for another year or two and I hope we make it. Not sure I would trust driving it to my mechanic an hour away in this hot weather.

19. KmmCo

Took a nice short drive on Wed and got out a lot to walk. Had lunch at a scenic spot by a river.
    Thursday, I got up and did my early morning overtime then just lazed about in the afternoon. Ended the day with a walk around the neighborhood...

Trying my best not to spend any money until DH gets here. I did top off the gas tank this week at the Costco station - just because I was in that vicinity. I also returned something to Target ($19) that I had not opened because I found a suitable item at Goodwill. I have a couple of small clamps to take back to home depot too that I ended up not needing for a repair project on a Goodwill bookcase. They were only about $5 but I figured why have them sit around here if I don't need them.

My last trip to goodwill yielded some 75% off books including a couple of cookbooks... I also got a brand new sheet set for $12.99 and a few little decor items for less than $1. I now have a fake plant that I won't kill this winter, a couple more candles, a cute little "at the beach" wooden sign that goes with my little sailboat decor I got the other day. The thrift store is the best for decorations!

20. Gardencook

We went out to a few stores today. Got a few markdowns including ground turkey breast, coleslaw, cookies, some seeded whole grain French Bread and some whole wheat Cheesecake Factory Brioche Buns.

A carton of ice cream was $1.88 today and we had a 45 cent digital coupon bringing it down to $1. 43.

The store at the other end of town had some decent deals that justified the gas to drive down there. We picked up a couple frees and quite a few snack foods including cheap crackers ($1.19 a/c and $1.69), cereal ($1.29 a/c), Chips Ahoy $1.88, Neufchatel cheese (99 cents) and potato chips (99 cents).

A case of flavored sparkling water was $1.50 after digital coupon -- but the coupon didn't come off so I had to go to the customer service counter to get my dollar plus tax back.

Tried a free can of AHA about a week ago and really liked it, so we've been buying cases for $1.99 on mega sale. Then we got offered a free at this store today, but thought we'd try the house brand since it was so reasonably priced.

They also offered us a couple 12-packs of double roll toilet tissue for $3.99, so we bought them "just in case." Who knows what is going on with COVID-19 the next few weeks?

The next store was hit-and-miss as it has been the past couple weeks. We had to get a rain check on coffee and t.v. dinners that have been out of stock for several visits. At least that store is back to giving them, the other one won't.

Did find disposable razors in stock for $1.49 after two coupons. Got a bottle of Spray and Wash for 99 cents after mega sale and coupon. Had to buy a couple four packs of yogurt for 99 cents to make enough for a round of mega sale, since other items were out of stock.

We had a bonus offer for a Taco Bell gift card and we were low on that one. Ended up getting enough fuel points for a 26 cents per gallon discount -- just hope we can drive somewhere to use them in August. :rolleyes:

Moderators: KimShaw