Frugal Living - Challenge 2020 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 2, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

A challenge to do something each and every day to live frugally....

Add a post of what you did today to live frugally. Don't be afraid to post your failures so that we can learn from them too....

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. KmmCo

* Ran the dishes and laundry early today - did not need to turn the heat up until late this afternoon because the house was pretty warm from the appliances.

3. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

I went to a few stores to get the loss leader sale produce at each store. Apples, celery, oranges, and cucumbers. There are a ton of new online NBPR rebates (in NC we don't have to purchase beer for rebates) that were recently posted in the online rebates forum. Most of these were $2/$3/$4 purchases of produce to receive rebate check or mastercard in the same amount. So once I scan my receipts and submit online my produce will be free!

4. KmmCo

After an expensive day yesterday (grocery store, thrift store, and pizza out), I stayed home today. I worked on doing some projects in my van like putting up command hooks for coat storage and rearranging a few items. I also did a few chores inside the house.

*Lunch: grilled bacon and cheese sandwich, a cutie, and some rainbow carrots. I had all of this stuff in the fridge.

*Dinner: scrounge your own leftovers (I had pizza, DS had some chicken, ? no clue what DH finally ended up with).

I "spent" my entire paycheck, but that includes a $300 savings deposit. I don't have anything that I need before next payday, so I am okay with that. I should get some rental money in on Monday anyway if I really need to spend something. I am only working 3 days next week, so lunch is covered with something I am prepping tomorrow (cajun chicken and red beans/rice) and some salad mix that I bought.

Sherri1480, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Picked up Friday/Saturday deals yesterday including Kellogg's Cereal and Hillshire Farms Luncheon meat. We also had some high value digitals we needed to clear off our car before they expired or went off sale so picked up those.

We got our monthly burger joint coupon offer which was a B1G1 milkshake again this month. However, the restaurant didn't put a flier in the monthly restaurant coupon mailers this month. Last month's flier is good through this Sunday, so we picked up one of our B1G1 shakes with my coupon on Friday for lunch and then picked up $1 burgers and fries to go with them.

We still have DH's coupon to use before the end of the month, but won't have cheap burgers to go with it.

When we arrived home I noticed on Facebook that the small local grocery had gotten in another shipment of grapefruit -- $18.50 a case this time instead of $25 like last time. They were so delicious last time it was tough to pass on the deal.

DH ran over just in time. Even though it was the first of a two-day sale, he got the last case the store had in stock. Word travels fast. Even though that store is very, very tiny, it keeps going with deals on high quality foods people watch for.

6. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

I have not posted in this forum since last year. Can I just say, frugality is a priority, but the holidays put a crimp in my budget for sure. My paychecks have been used up more quickly than I anticipated. It seems that it was always one day short, be it a holiday or non paid days off. Luckily, I did supplement my income this year with taking on extra duties at school, but when you add that to a check that is already short, you can barely break even. In the last quarter of last year, I got behind on one credit card bill. It has taken me until now to catch up....I never had this problem when working full time.
    My travel expenses increased with picking up d2 from college a couple of times throughout the year. Right before Christmas, I had to pick up the twins from college on 2 separate days. Gas and tolls add up and for D2 I had to pay full ferry fares to pick her up and get her home. Also, when my dad was in the hospital, I was travelling every weekend to visit him.
    For now, I am trying to shop with gift cards and use up what I have home. It kills me that I throw out the leftover food, but no one will eat it and I am tired of eating the same food all the time. I do freeze some items to eat later, but you forget you have them with 3 freezers. We did do a cleanout before the holidays and that lightened the load a bit.
    Some apps that I use were not as profitable last year. Ibotta and checkout 51 were ok, but I cashed out only a couple of times. Items listed were not what I was going to buy and to earn any credits took too much time and effort (and money). SAving star was good, but not as great as in recent years. Also, I do not shop as often as I used to and missed out on some deals.
    I did well with FETCH, receipt pal and receipt hog and surprisingly, Thred up. The online surveys I do for OneVoice panel, Paidviewpoint, Finacial Horizons and Citispace paid well and Swagbucks has been the one I used most.
    My referral link for Swagbucks is:

https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jastwins

My referrals have done a great job and I am grateful for their help.

I realize my pay stays the same and expenses keep going up. So, I need to find a way to eliminate some expenses and pay down my debts. The struggle is real and ongoing. People talk about retiring and I do not even consider it. Let's just hope things get better.

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 3 others like this.
  7. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I too consider frugality is a priority and I try where I can. It is so hard with our life styles. @jastwins I totally sympathize with the fact the my pay stays the same and I cannot consider retiring either ... also, I feel I must work in order to carry the insurance with my husband facing transplants, and my 23 yr. old is on my insurance too. I pay out a lot in gas as my Escape only gets around an average of 17 miles per gallon as I do in-city driving, not for just myself but for my sons and extended family. I run errands on my lunch hour to give myself more time in the evenings. I maybe frugally saving time, but am running hard on my gas.

I also spend, to my horror, on take out foods more frequently than I would like; but my husband's diet is restricted and the choices slim so more expensive ... considering I am so tired when I get off work at 5:30 that I really don't want to go home and cook for any period of time. My grocery shopping habits have changed due to diets, and most of the items do not have many if any coupons out on them. I try and watch the sales and buy and stock on what I can. I check the reduced areas in the grocery for meat, produce and regular items and do pretty well. I usually find the red and yellow peppers reduced to .99 with three in the bag rather regularly at Kroger along with apples and onions bagged for .99

I do take my own lunch to work 5 days a week which helps save quite a bit. The company supplies coffee and tea in the break room which is awesome perk to me! The creamer is plain powder, but hey, it's not costing me anything.

I was really good and only spent my paychecks during the holidays with only putting one family dining out event for 13, on my credit card. That will be fairly easy to pay off before interest kicks in.

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 3 others like this.
  8. Gardencook

Ran to a couple grocery stores today to pick up a few items before they went off sale. They were such good deals we really couldn't pass them up and they will be handy for quick meals.

We got 25 cent burritos and 60 cent Smart Ones meals with mega sale and coupons. Also picked up a free jar of organic peanut butter for which I got a free digital coupon yesterday.

Found some nice bags with about six apples each on markdown for $1 each and got some markdown celery, as well. Four-packs of markdown muffins were 79 cents each.

They were out of the one brand of B1G1 fish we wanted, so we got a rain check on that. In some ways that works better, since there was SO much frozen food on sale at once I couldn't decide what to buy.

They still had the one brand in stock, so we'll have that for dinner tonight. I had coupons that will expire in a couple weeks for that one, so got one of those used.

Stuck some rice in the Crock-Pot overnight. We've got several bags that need to be used, so it made a nice breakfast and used some dried fruit and nuts we had on hand at the same time.

9. KmmCo

Another good no spend day! I had my cajun chicken sliced up on a salad with ranch dressing today. Tomorrow I will take the leftover red beans and rice with the rest of the chicken and some diced up carrots. Wed I will do another salad of some type.

*jastwins mentioned no one eating leftovers. Never a problem at my house with the 24 year old human vacuum. I have to hid some of my work snacks (like cookies) in my clothes closet or else they would be gone before the work week rolls around!:eek:

I hear you about prices going up and wages not. There were a few years when we did not get any cost of living raises and it really stunk. I am super grateful that we got one this year. For me it is only about $100 a month but at least it helps a little. There is OT available around the holidays too for those able to work it. I could only do about 15 hours and took it all as comp time since paid time off is what I need instead of cash....

Truthfully, I am a little worried about gas prices going up as we do spend a lot on DH's commute. When I do my work transfer, I have a huge initial drive to make too. I am actually looking at apartments as close to the new work place as possible since gas is higher there anyway, but I will still be doing errands and recreation things that burn gas. Vacations will be camping at the new place so that will be cheap at least. We live pretty conservatively and the food budget just can not get cut any more.... I don't think there are any ways to reduce basic bills either like water or electric as we already have done those reductions in lifestyle a long time ago. We even cut the cable a few years back and only keep internet service at the house.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  10. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

Happy New Year All!

We've been really frugal the past year, and I'm pushing through to keep the momentum going!

We paid off Hub's car 5 months early and replaced my 10-year-old car with something newer and bigger (growing kids don't fit into a compact car!).

We've been meal planning like whoah, eating leftovers and taking advantage of as many sales and deals as possible. Couponing is a dead language here. The Sunday papers are devoid of coupons, nothing in the junk mail either. So, I gotta rely on my apps (the same ones I'm sure y'all use), and doing surveys and research studies to make some extra cash.

I've been doing audits and secret shops with Field Agent as well.

I'm chugging along!

Sherri1480, KmmCo, jcdamomma and 4 others like this.
  11. KmmCo

*Gassed up DH's car last night. Prices have not gone up any yet, but usually on Thursday we see changes at the local station. Regular 85 = $2.449/gal, but we use mid-grade 87 so it was $2.669 with the 3 cent kroger discount. I think our gas prices are pretty reasonable, but Wyoming and Kansas are always a few cents cheaper. How much is gasoline where you live?

*I finished off the salad mix for my lunch yesterday. I had bought a veggie party try on markdown last week and cut up some of the veggies from that for the salad. The reason it was cheap: the old trays had little tomatoes and the new ones that just came in had the mini peppers instead. It is nice to have a few fresh veggies in the winter....

*My on the go breakfast yesterday was a Cliff bar and a banana. I thought the boxes had 10 bars for $2.5o but when I opened one I saw that it said 12 bars.... 21 cents each! Since the boxes aren't expiring until June and Sept, I am saving the fresher ones for my van trip in the spring.

12. jastwins

@KmmCo, on my island, gas prices are $2.89/gal regular and higher. Extra delivery charge for the ferry, maybe? It is our only gas station, (the oldest Mobil station in the US, they claim) so you are stuck if you are out of gas. If we go off island, you can find $2.59 in some places. In Recent weeks, I paid $2.45 and $2.53 if you travel further. When I am by my other house (one hour away) the gas at the Reservation is super cheap. It was $1.99 the last time I filled up and Crankie told me there is a price war since the second station just opened and charges $1.89/ gal for regular!!!!
    Yesterday, I was asked to cover the JV game, as well as the Varsity game and was happy for the extra cash. My time sheet for those games and my morning and afternoon duties was handed in this morning.

13. jastwins

So happy I was just asked to cover 3 games on Friday....More chaperone money for me and I am thrilled to make the extra dough. It will be exhausting but it was an opportunity I cannot pass up, esp with the state of my finances. I just remembered that I will have to renew my car registration and get an oil change eventually.

Sherri1480, Jorainna, KmmCo and 3 others like this.
  14. KmmCo

Did not do a lot other than hang at the house yesterday and watch videos. For some reason, I just wanted a rest day as my batteries just felt drained! I did get some laundry done though. Our only trip out was for lunch at Chilis. I had found a partial gift card on my desk the other day so we used that along with $14 in cash. I always get my reward from the loyalty program (free chips/salsa or beverage) since we go there so often.

We ran into target near the restaurant to find they were remodeling and are super low on stock. I did get some hamburger patties and buns for lunch today. The burgers had a $3 off label. I looked through home decor/kitchen because target ususally has pretty good clearances in January, but because of the remodel there was nothing much....

DH went out a bit yesterday afternoon again, so I did not fix dinner. He decided to cook some popcorn shrimp after getting home so I snacked on a few of those and some other odds and ends from around here.

15. KmmCo

We ended up with lunch out again today. I found something on craigslist that I wanted across town. We met at 1100 am with the seller, so we did a few errands and ate lunch over there. At least we did the burgers for dinner tonight.

I did save $34 over new price on the item, so we came out okay on that deal. (propane camping heater for the van)

One of the errands was a quick stop in to sprouts for some fresh veggies including lettuce for my salad craving that I am having now. I think the junk food from the holidays is getting to me....

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  16. Lori63

Lori63 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Started a new diet last Monday-just counting calories and steps. Lost 3 lbs. I have been super diligent about not spending, so I haven't been eating out or drinking :). Called Comcast and got my bill lowered, switched Ipsy to every other month. Been babysitting, petsitting. Doing online surveys like crazy-gotten $100 so far in Jan from it.

17. jastwins

I just realized that this is a 3 paycheck month for me and if only I received full checks it would have been great. The Christmas Holiday was 2 weeks long and my first and second checks in January will be one week each. My bank job will supplement part of this upcoming one week check. Luckily, I am able to work some extra games this month and am grateful for the additional cash.
    On SB, I cashed out for $75 worth of gcs and used $50 of it as a birthday gift for my sister.
    D2 is attending a semester in the city. She then tells me that she is responsible for her meals and I cannot imagine what this is going to cost. On a positive note, she is working at the job she had at the stock exchange over the summer. The company buys them lunch every day and I hope she picks out what she likes each day she works there. She is not the most frugal child and hopefully, she will figure it out.
    D3 does not have enough money for her semester and will have to take out an additional loan. I am sad about this and will help her pay it back. She should have worked more over the summer and saved more of her money.

D1 is doing well and her boyfriend will take her back to school for me. I will give him gas money for taking her back. It saves me mileage on my car and not taking a day off from work.

18. Gardencook

Biggest frugal move we've made the past several days is not spending money. The sales in the stores honestly aren't things we need right now. There are a few items we've been cherry picking, but not much else. There were some really good deals on frozen foods last week so why not enjoy them? :)

DH did run over to get some more 25 cent burritos this morning. They will go off sale tomorrow and the manager will generally agree to a rain check, but the clerks still fight them -- even when he agrees. Thankfully, that hasn't been an issue this time and we've caught them in stock when we wanted them. We've been enjoying them for an easy lunch many days.

Otherwise, we're just eating foods we've got on hand and not spending money.

19. Gardencook

Had a few coupons to use before they expired over the next few days.

First we dropped by the store on the other side of town where we picked up some free dip, cheap ice cream and a steak large enough for two on markdown.

The mega sale hasn't been a great one for me this round. There really isn't much we need. I had a few coupons, but not enough to make it to the six items required for the mega sale. Still the coupons that were about to expire were really too good to lose.

Today I got a couple more good coupons and that solved the mega sale problem. We ended up getting two 12-packs of double roll toilet tissue for $1.99 each after best customer coupons, a couple bottles of Pine Sol for 79 cents each after insert coupon and some Contonelle wipes for 99 cents and $1.49 after digital and insert coupons.

They also had a bunch of Noosa and Fage yogurt on markdown and bags of small Nestle Crisp Bars also on markdown.

I had a rain check for battered cod fillets which were B1G1 and out of stock recently. They were on sale and I got a digital coupon this morning so we got two boxes for 99 cents each -- retail $7.99 each.

Then a new promotion just started. We can get a $5 coupon for each of three $35 purchases over the next couple weeks. Since we were close enough to the threshold after we bought what we needed, we went ahead and bought some additional candy bars and yogurt to make sure we had enough.

20. KmmCo

*Coworker talked me in to going out for a hot dog lunch on Tuesday, so I ended up saving my sack lunch for Wed instead. I got a really good traditional chili dog and he got one with coleslaw and onions added (it looked interesting but I am not sure about the coleslaw on top of chili). We split some onion rings and they were really good to.

*Going to pick up a few odd and end items up at the grocery today. I am having dental surgery tomorrow and will want some soft stuff like yogurt and pudding for the weekend. I took Sunday off work for recovery as a paid sick day.

* I have one last gift card to use up for a nearby burger place, so that will be lunch today....

Today, I am just getting chores done since I won't feel like doing much but resting over the weekend....

Moderators: KimShaw