Frugal Living - Challenge 2019 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 5, 2019.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Last night I just ended up snacking on some junky stuff instead of having dinner.....

Lunch today was tacos since there was a lot of meat still left. I pulled out some ham from the freezer for dinner tonight.

I spent some of my morning updating my everydollar budget as I had a pile of receipts on my desk. I went over on Groceries and Eating out but I am still a lot under on gasoline for March. I am trying to figure out my "new budget" going forward without a house payment. I substituted the mortgage payment line with the Tax/Insurance savings amount, updated the lines for Groceries and Eating Out, and then started to work on the savings categories. I think I have April and May figured out now as I begin increasing my HSA deduction. I decided to gradually scale my deduction upward each pay period in April so I don't get a sudden sticker shock at the lack of a paycheck in May. Going to $150 on the first April payday and $350 on the second, then the $500 I want to put in for the 1st May check. If it leaves me too short then I can drop back to $350 and still be fully funded by the end of 2019. I will have to see how it goes. I need to refill my "government shutdown" fund too in case we have another crisis when Oct 1 rolls around - though I don't need as much now that I don't have a house payment! (I only left $500 in there in order to knock out the last of the house payment 2 months earlier than planned.)

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  2. KmmCo

Spent the last couple of days doing some work at the rental property in the mountains..... Spent a lot of $$ but found a deal on tile for my fireplace remodel that DH and I decided to do in June. We figured we should buy it while it was on sale. We also cleaned up the inside of the fireplace and put in some of that glass stuff in bottom. It is pretty, but it was expensive. ($70 for a bucket at Lowes.) There is a lot of it left though and I am taking the rest of the bucket home to use in a firepit that we bought a while back at a yard sale.....

Anyway, we got a lot done in the last two days! We were kinda laughing though as the people two doors down are doing a remodel and have everything out in the hallway while they redo the floor and kitchen cabinets. I guess there is not much else they can do though until the floor is done. They have to be finished by Monday as the carpet/drycleaners are coming next week and will need access to the units on our floor. I am not sure they are really gonna get it all done over this weekend....

~ We did really simple meals. Frozen chicken skillet meal on Thurs evening, spaghetti at lunch Friday, cheese quesadilla for dinner Friday. I have a pile of dishes to wash in the morning though as I got lazy this evening and decided to sit in front of the fireplace and mess around on the computer.

I think I am going to go to sleep soon and just get started on a few more things in the morning before we have to leave tomorrow. I want the unit to look good because the ratings are going to be done by the resort soon and the higher your rating the more $$ you make. I was only vacant for 6 days this winter (mid-Dec to end of March) so I must be doing okay in the resorts viewpoint..... I have 6 nights of bookings for April which is a nice surprise since that is normally the down-time where nobody come up here. With 6 nights, I break even on expenses which is something I have never done before in April. Makes me happy!

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  3. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Earlier this week, we sent an official check to the US treasury to pay 1/4 of the taxes we owe and I signed up online to make payments on the remaining balance. Our goal is to have it paid off by the end of the year and I hope and pray that we can do it. The IRS gives you several options to pay. You can even bargain with them, offer a settlement for less than you owe, but have to pay it in one lump sum. Who knew? IF you sign up for direct debit payments from your account, they only charge you $31 and add it to what you already owe. If you elect to mail in a check for payment, they will charge $149 and added it to your amount owed. It is now a waiting game to see if we are approved for the monthly amount we put down and I hope we are. Still waiting for a repsonse.

Owing these taxes has been a reality check. If the current tax laws stay as they are, we are screwed for the next several years and then some. We cannot deduct fully what we pay in real estate taxes and cannot deduct our state tax paid, so this really hurt us. These tax laws work for some people but not for my family. The reality is that we probably need to get rid of one house (the one with the higher taxes), but that affects Crankie getting to work in the city and getting home (ferry issues). Eventually, we will not have children to deduct either, and if we both retire, we cannot have 2 mortgages. We need a plan and I need to get Crankie on board.

On the bright side, I am mailing out my third box this year to Thred up and am happy to get rid of clothing that is old and taking up space. My referral code is http://www.thredup.com/r/X6DF42

On HCW, I made 2 trades and they should be coming in the mail today and if not, Monday. Tomorrow, I plan to go to CVS and use a gc to pick up some toiletries and groceries. Once again, Crankie has visited CVS and gotten some of my coupons and this irks me to no end. When he picks up his prescriptions, they have my cvs number attached to his account and it just includes my coupons and ecrs on his receipt. UGHHHHHH!!!!! I am headed to my other house tomorrow to pick up the ecr on the receipt and do some shopping in the part of town. Prices are cheaper and there are more CVS stores to shop at in case they are out of something.

I remembered to submit my time sheet and was able to put in for an extra hour when I was the lunch lady this week. They were short-handed and I stayed until the end of the day to get my dismissal duty pay as well. Every little bit helps. I am considering applying for an open aide position, (if they post it), for next year. It would allow me to get to opt for medical insurance and if I do not take it for now, the district will pay me close to $5000. However, the well paid administrators seem to not post every job when someone retires, so I will have to wait and see what cards I am dealt and if I will play in their game.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jcdamomma like this.
  4. Lori63

Lori63 Well-Known Member Trader Group

I used my foster son's clothing allowance at Kohls, so I now have $60 Kohls cash to spend on myself :) I have also totally become reacquainted with coupons and not eating out as much.
    Our school sends backpacks of food home with the kids on weekends, and I have gotten some myself-he is eating me out of house and home :). I will donate anything I don't think we'll use to the soup kitchen I volunteer at.
    Taking some more things into the consignment shop on Monday. Every penny counts

Sherri1480, Jorainna, KmmCo and 3 others like this.
  5. KmmCo

Did not get on here last weekend because it was my short trip out of town. Loved Phoenix and will have to go back again sometime...... The trip was pretty frugal too since I did not eat out and I also did a lot of inexpensive stuff like just hiking and sightseeing the area.....

Spent $85 at the grocery store when I got home though. We were out of a lot of stuff! Since I was late enough getting back Saturday that I didn't want to cook, I got frozen dinners for my work lunches for the week.

I will type more about the trip on one of my days off work....

Cathy, jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  6. KmmCo

Spent another $59 at the store today, but $30 of it was soda 12 packs on sale for 4/$10. We got some markdown beef for beef fajitas tonight and had to get tortillas, bell peppers and sour cream to go with it. I also bought some chicken thighs to cook for my sack lunches this next week. I will make them for dinner tomorrow and then package up the leftovers with some chicken flavored rice.

Anyway, the trip to Phoenix was enlightening. It was very surprising to me how green it was. I spent some time at the public parks and did a lot of scenic driving. I did make it to Sedona but only stayed long enough to take a lot of pictures and visit the famous chapel that is on the hillside. I decided I was not interested in the shops and art galleries on this trip. I had stopped at a National Monument that was very interesting before driving up there (Montezuma Castle). I did manage to buy my $80 America the Beautiful pass so that I have it for my fall vacation. I also splurged on a passport book that you stamp at the parks you go to. I have never wanted to put out the money for the little blue one in the past, but I found a really nice larger version is out this year for $25. That was kind of a treat to myself along with a markdown Arizona t-shirt that I found in Scottsdale. I had to do it - I bought cactus candy and a mini cactus jelly to bring home and try out.

I also found a neat area called Agua Fria (I think) that would be super cool for 4x4 adventures and camping. It was totally undeveloped and I did not drive very far into it as I did not want to get stuck in the rental car. I will go back sometime when I have my Xterra.

The only things that I did that cost $$ was a donation of $5 to the art museum and a visit to the Commemorative Air Force museum ($15). I gave another $5 donation at the CAF specifically earmarked for the B-17 and a $3 heart association donation at the hotel. I just put a ton of miles on the rental car driving around and sightseeing. I found a pretty lake in the Superstition mountains. I also found an area of town that had a lot of 55+ communities including some mobile home and RV parks - that was one reason that I wanted to look in Phoenix in the first place. They really jam the RV's in tight and I was surprised to see a lot of them still there this late in the spring. Phoenix is definitely on my Snowbird list for retirement time as I really loved the city. There is ton of stuff to do there that I just didn't have time for in a 3 day trip......

My food costs were $14.71 for stuff I bought at Walmart. I also spent $2 cash at Burger King for a small cheeseburger and chocolate shake after using up a $3+ gift card balance that I had (afternoon snack).

~Funny story about the hotel. I reserved a single queen studio on points. When I got there, I found out that they upgraded me to a two bedroom for free. I really didn't need it, but I graciously accepted. I slept in the bigger bedroom with a king bed. I just closed off the door to the other room so that housekeeping did not have to clean it......

~I stuffed myself on free breakfast every morning and just had a light picnic lunch everyday at lunchtime. After watching another lady take a huge plate of food back to her room, I didn't feel bad on Friday to take 2 slices of bread and a couple of butter pats so that I could do a grilled cheese for dinner that night. I had the cheese and really didn't want to buy a big loaf of bread that I would have to haul home.....

~Today we went to Red Robin for lunch. I ran into Kroger and got a $25 gift card for 4x fuel points before going there. I need to make a gift card list for what I want to get this weekend. I have used up almost everything I had except for a $50 Firehouse Sub - I got so many sub sandwiches free during the furlough that I have not wanted to eat there much lately.

I am going to spend some of my weekend working on my travel blog articles and organizing the gazillion pictures I took for that. I am doing day by day articles since I packed so much stuff into each day, so I will have enough to publish for 4 weeks. I have been really lazy about posting over the winter on that. I really have done nothing for travel since Sept anyway since I was all-in on the mortgage payoff. I have a couple more 4 day weekends in July and August respectively to plan another couple of adventures, I just have not done any thought on those yet. I really want to get up to the hot springs too, but the weather had just been so horrible here for mountain driving. Maybe next month......

Cathy, Sherri1480, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  7. KmmCo

Ate at home all day - some taquitos for lunch and baked chicken thighs for dinner. I made 2 flavors of chicken and did both rice and stovetop stuffing so that I could pack up my lunches for work. I had some leftover corn for 1 meal and the other 3 meals got green beans. This will make a nice variety for the week.

It was so nice out that I went for a long walk this afternoon. While finishing up laundry, I straightened out my clothes closet today as it was getting messy. I also am doing some more planning/research for my fall vacation - adding yet another park for sure - Petrified Forest. I am going to stay in Holbrook the night before and need to found out if DH is willing to stay in the Wigwam Motel. If not, then there are a couple of chains motels we can stay in that are pretty cheap. I was surprised to see that Petrified Forest does not have camping anymore as I think I remember camping there with my parents (about 45 years ago of course).

DH went to some comic convention thing today and tomorrow (that I had no interest in), so I am just staying home and catching up on rest and chores. Yesterday I took an afternoon nap and was tempted to do so again today. I resisted the urge and got outside instead - will try to do the same tomorrow afternoon.

Anyway, my first priority is to book an AirBnb at Joshua tree since were are staying there for 3 nights.... I have a referral code from someone to save $35 and I bought a $300 gift card so that should cover most of the 3 nights. It looks like I can rent a place for around $100/night that has a kitchen. Just don't know if I want to go more remote cabin type or more modern in town....

Cathy, Sherri1480, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  8. KmmCo

Got my Airbnb reservation done - a nice little 2 bedroom house that is pretty close to the highway. There is not much to either town (twentynine palms or joshua tree) but I will load up with supplies at a Walmart on our route and can go use the local grocery (Stater Bros. ?) if needed.... My coupon code actually took $40 off so the place only cost me $240 total for 3 nights. :D I now have $60 left on Airbnb for another stay..... The gift card was a pain to use but I am glad I got it as I saved on gas with fuel points and also got $15 cash back for the category spend on my credit card. (more about that later)

We ate out for lunch again yesterday - it seems like that is becoming a Thursday thing! Anyway I had an $8 lunch special at Chilis and it was good. I had a tasty enchilada soup and a couple of soft tacos which came with some chips/salsa as the side. I was pretty stuffed after that. DH did some errands and got home late so I just had snack stuff for dinner instead of cooking.

I grabbed $25 worth of stuff at Costco after lunch - bananas, chex mix, cheese, and a couple of frozen items. Other than that the day was spend doing the usual chores. I also picked up a bunch of sticks and trash that had blown into the front yard during the last wind. I am glad that the weather is finally nicer.

Oh, I got the escrow check back from the mortgage this week so I took it to the bank. As soon as it clears I am paying the property taxes that are due in June. That way, I don't have the money sitting here and getting spent on something else.

I upped my 4o1(k) catchup and my HSA deduction for next payday - gradually trying to get used to seeing the smaller paychecks coming to me. In my brain, I know that the plan was to live on DH's check and save mine. In reality it is hard to not to see the money first. Most of my savings is done by payroll deductions including a transfer to my car savings account and my e-fund. We can do up to 14 savings allotments on the paycheck but I do those two only, plus an auto transfer to the checking account that our car insurance comes out of. I like putting stuff on auto pay if I know it is the same amount each month - it works for things like the internet bill too. I still hand pay the electric/gas bill each month since it varies so much from winter to summer.....

~I cashed out a $26 Discover cash back this week and then I didn't really know what to do with it.... (This included the $15 Airbnb gift card purchase at the grocery in March and some gas that I bought with this month's new category.) I have been putting little stuff like that on the mortgage for the last 4 or 5 years. I finally just transferred it to my vacation savings account because I didn't know where else to put it..... I have to come up with an actual plan. I think I will need to take in my aluminum cans again next month and that is usually $5-$10.

~ I also put $107.72 into my after tax brokerage after the last paycheck. The $$ are still just sitting there in the cash account. I had $91.10 left this payday and will get that transferred this afternoon. When I add more $ later then I will invest it all. I have been drawing off a few dividends to pay on the house the last year too, so I double checked to make sure that everything was set on dividend reinvest again. I did catch one stock that I had not fixed yet.

~got my 1.9% cost of living raise this paycheck, but we are supposed to get some back pay that has not come yet. I think it will be about $1oo - $150 when it eventually gets here. I just wish I knew which paycheck it is coming on.

~I finally got enough in my HSA that I could set up the brokerage associated with that and invest $$ too. Even though I am drawing it out again in 2 years with the receipts that I have, I could not just let it sit there in savings for that long. I just picked a basic index fund to put it all in..... leaving only the basic $100 in cash in that account until I need to withdraw it. The beauty of HSA - pay the medical expenses now and save the receipts then you can just withdraw the money later as tax free income in early retirement ..... I will probably work enough into 2020 to do the whole contribution and will have $16,000 to withdraw - I already have $8000 in receipts for my sons dental surgery and my assorted dentist copays and I am sure there will be more receipts over the next year to save. I will change back to the regular health plan when I actually retire instead of the high-deductible. My son will be dropping off in a couple of years anyway so the premium will be lower.....

Today, I am just going to take advantage of the nicer weather and get outside for a long walk. I have some winter weight gain to start getting rid of - my work pants are getting tight! DH has something he is doing both tonight and Saturday night that I am not interested in going to, so I will be on my own for dinner.

Sherri1480, Cathy, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  9. KmmCo

Lunch yesterday was a grilled cheese sandwich and salad. For dinner I scrounged enough out of the fridge to make a flatbread pizza with some sauce from the pantry,

Since I now have an open jar of pizza sauce, I went to Kroger to get some .99 mozzarella packages that I will use for later to make more pizzas or calzones. I also found some markdown liquid eggs I am going to cook it all at breakfast today. With the leftovers I will prep some breakfast sandwiches with some pillsbury biscuits for the work week. For lunch today I got a bag of fresh stirfry from the produce section for $2.49 and some markdown portabella mushrooms $1.19 - vegetarian meal with some leftovers for work lunches. I always have rice here in a big bucket to use..... I also picked up a box of Halos on sale for snacking. The money I spent just tipped me over to a .50/gallon gas reward . I am $50 under budget on groceries this month and that is the end of my shopping. :D

My under budget money was going to the house payment, but now I think it will all sweep into my future travels fund! Vacation fund is rather pathetic at $88 right now and I still need to figure out about 5 more hotel nights for my fall trip plus a lot of gasoline. Those 3 days in California will be a killer on gas - though I already figured out that I will top the tank in Parker AZ on the way to Joshua Tree. I think I can do points hotels for 4 of those nights, but in Holbrook AZ (petrified forest) I will have to pay as none of the chains I have enough points with are there. I think the Days Inn will work or else I can hit up Econolodge and earn some Choice hotel points.... DH definitively vetoed the famous Wigwam Motel. I showed him the camping cabins at KOA and he said no to that too.

*I watched a you tube video last night of a couple dumpster diving at Aldi - amazing what they found. I like shopping at Aldi and wish I had one nearby, but hated to see what they waste. What these folks got out of the dumpster was amazing.... Apparently they throw the whole bag away if one fruit is bad in it. (It is really too bad that all that food can't go to a homeless shelter or food bank.) They even found in date OJ that was still sealed with the little paper seal, but the plastic lid had a crack. I would definitely not waste that. One could just put it in a pitcher at home. The couple also found 2 boxes of cereal with a razor cut from someone opening the carton and the bag inside was not damaged. Same with some undamaged fruit cups that had the cardboard outside damaged. ALDI would rather trash stuff than have a markdown section for things like the OJ, fruit cups and cereal.....:( What a waste!

*I also watch another video of a nice grandma type that said she only had 33 cents a day for food after paying all her bills. Too bad she can't get together with the dumpster diving couple! Anyway, she did have a lot of tips on cooking frugally and showed how she makes beans with a little bit of pork fat to add flavor. She also did my trick and used empty butter wrappers to grease her pans when cooking. I think DH thinks I am crazy when I save them for later, but it works.....

~ a nice surprise was another bit of money from the mortgage company.... $70.58 for overpayment of PMI and $1o3.39 for a vaguely titled "payoff overage". I won't turn it down for sure. The $ 173.97 is going to into my house taxes/insurance/repairs fund for later use....

10. KmmCo

Doing more research into Phoenix. You can get a pretty nice single wide mobile home for under $10K but the killer is the lot rent at around $400 - $500 a month. You would have to pay that even if you were not there in the summer. Most of them do include a swimming pool and other community facilities though. I will maybe have to also look into the cost of buying a plot of land in the "country" to pull an RV or tiny house onto.......

11. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Last week was a good time to stock up on bargain coffee!

At the beginning of the week we hit a discount table with a bunch of markdown coffee. This store is hit-and-miss when it comes to markdown percentages, but if you happen to hit things the right day you can sometimes find 75 to 90 percent discounts. That day they had a LOT of items including freeze dried tart cherries, Reese's Peanut Butter Chips and Kashi cereal for 89 cents -- where are the coupons when you need them?

The first thing that caught my eye (since I'd just printed coupons) was Starbucks Coffee for $1.49 a bag. We had a digital $1/1 coupon and two printables. They only had two bags of the Veranda Blonde -- which is the Starbucks DH prefers -- but at 49 cents a bag after coupons we weren't going to get fussy. We picked up the two blonde bags and one medium roast and paid $1.47 total for three bags. We passed on the dark roast which he would NOT have enjoyed.

They also had a bunch of Newman's Own Organic Coffee for $2.25 a bag. Of course, we haven't seen coupons on that in a while, but since DH had never tried it we picked up a couple bags without coupons.

Then at the end of the week we got a digital four-day coupon for $10 off when you bought $25 worth of coffee after coupons. I had a bunch of printable coupons that were about to expire so that was a good time to use them on brands that were already on sale. The one store was quite a bit cheaper than its sister store, so I sat at home and carefully planned our "strategy." We could get six bags at the one store or pay one dollar less but only get five bags at the more expensive store.

We ended up buying two bags of Dunkin' Donuts, two bags of Seattle's Best and two bags of Eight O'Clock. The total came to a little over $26 after using a printable coupon on each bag and then the register took off another $10 -- netting us six bags of coffee for a little more than $2 each.

No, last week's purchases honestly weren't what you'd consider "hoarding." I'm not a coffee drinker, but DH guzzles enough of the stuff for both of us. He's ALWAYS getting low! When we can find unbleached coffee filters on a good sale price I buy at least 10 packs at a time.

That ought to keep DH in coffee for a few more weeks. :p

If any of these studies on the medicinal effects of coffee prove true, he certainly ought to be reaping the benefits. He likes his coffee black without any cream or sugar.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Sherri1480, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  12. Lori63

Lori63 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Still couponing, dogsitting, tutoring. Found a penny on my walk yesterday :) I'm using the Achievement app-it's a slow earner but keeps me motivated to walk!

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, KmmCo and 2 others like this.
  13. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We accumulated a LOT of extra fuel points last month. That meant we entered the month with enough rewards for two fill-ups at $1 off per gallon and another for 60 cents off per gallon.

That gave us the opportunity to take some day trips this month. We drove around a couple reservoirs and enjoyed the wildlife. Also enjoyed watching a bunch of trout of varying sizes at a fish hatchery. We also took in a restored "ghost town" which we'd never had time to drive through before.

Today, we drove an hour out of town to shop some stores we don't have. I originally thought it would be interesting to take in the zoo, aquarium or a museum on the trip, however, never having been known for my grace I manged to fall in the Big Lots parking lot on Sunday when I tripped on the curb.

I could have come out a whole lot worse. In fact as bad as the fall seemed at the time, I'm shocked I didn't suffer more injuries. I felt my nose hit the pavement, but didn't even scrape it. My knees are sore when I rub a hand over them, but I don't feel pain otherwise. Thankfully no external bruises there, although it feels like I have them when my hand accidentally hits.

My left hand seemed to take the brunt of it. There is a tiny bit of bruising there along with some swelling making it difficult to move my pinkie and ring fingers, however, before the swelling began I tested and both fingers moved all directions without assistance so I think I may have sprained the pinkie, but nothing worse -- and at least it wasn't my right hand.

Then there is the big toe on my left foot which is sore and making it a bit difficult to walk, but again no bruising.

Everything is healing a lot quicker than normally happens, so I'm grateful for that. I just didn't think it was a great day to do a lot of walking like an attraction would require. Besides that it is COLD outside! After temperatures in the 70s last week, temps are near freezing again at night. We must be getting the tail end of the snow that is hitting Canada so hard. :(

We satisfied ourselves with hitting a few stores today. We found a few grocery markdowns. However, we left the discount grocery and Big Lots without finding anything we needed. Did pick up some four-packs of green beans for 99 cents -- 25 cents a can. For some odd reason, the register took off an 85 cent organic fruit coupon on that one, but I honestly can't remember what that would have been even though I must have loaded it.

We also found some bags of markdown Snickers bars for which we had a $1/2 digital coupon. Got some decent markdowns on produce, as well.

I still had the Kohl's $5 certificate that everyone here at HCW seemed to get. We don't have a Kohl's so the only way to use it was if we drove an hour to the nearest store. It was going to expire tomorrow, so it was use it or lose it. That teamed well with our last fuel reward for the month which also needed to be used by today.

I found a nightgown I'm not terribly thrilled with, but it does have cap-sleeves and will do. My cap-sleeved nightgowns are getting worn, but I haven't been able to find any that are long enough. Because they are so difficult to find, I try to save those for travel when it is easy the experience a variety of varying temperatures.

Right now my winter nightgowns are too warm and the sleeveless ones are WAAAY too cold. Today I found one that was TOO long. I suppose it would be floor-length on a short person, but as a tall woman it doesn't go anywhere near the floor and yet is too long to be "waltz length" which is really what I wanted.

Guess I could shorten it, but I know I'll never get around to it.

At least the price was right. I think it retailed for $38, but was on sale for $21.99. I had a 20 percent discount code which arrived by e-mail this morning, used the $5 reward certificate and used the few dollars that were left of a $25 gift card I purchased during a 4x fuel points event when I was offered 200 bonus points for buying it. In the end, the nightgown came to a little over $6 OOP, so that was what sold it despite the weird length.

After we returned home, the gas tank was almost empty, so we filled up with our remaining 60 cent per gallon reward. Now we've got a full tank heading into the new month.

All in all we got some pretty inexpensive entertainment this month. If we waited longer to take the day trips we would have paid a lot more for gas and the only other expenses were a B1G1 meal at a restaurant near one of the reservoirs, another B1G1 meal today and a B1G1 milkshake for the road since that coupon was also expiring today.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Sherri1480, jcdamomma, KmmCo and 2 others like this.
  14. KmmCo

Old habits die hard... A couple of days ago, I bought a candy bar and peanuts during break at work and started to feel "guilty" until I realized that I can actually "afford this" because I don't have a house payment.:D I even went to lunch at a sandwich place with a coworker yesterday and really enjoyed talking to her - learned a lot about her back story and have a lot of respect for how she emerged out of past troubles as such a strong woman.

Anyway, I think I will make a homemade pizza today at some point since I have a ton of the jarred sauce left. I am not sure what else I am cooking this weekend though.

I scored a jar of pasta sauce from a coworker that bought a Costco multipack and did not like the flavor. It happens to be a brand that I buy all the time. In turn I took in a partial box of nature valley bars that expired 2 days before and put them on the breakroom table for sharing. They got consumed pretty darn fast. For some reason I had put the open box under something else and forgot that I had it. I bought a smaller box of bars a couple of weeks ago that I have been throwing into my lunch bag for snacks. I think the one thing we all learned during the long furlough was to take care of of our coworkers ..... Sharing is the "in thing" at work now.....

I ran a couple of loads of laundry during the work week, so not as much to do today. I still have a sink full of dishes to attack today.....:( my most hated chore....

We had a pretty heavy snow on Monday afternoon but the ground was so warm that it really didn't stick to the roads. Tues and Wed were rainy and now after all the moisture my lawn needs to be mowed as soon at it drys out.

In August, I am trading a day with a guy who needs a Thursday off and he will work Sunday. I told him to check his calendar and pick whether he wants to do before or after, but then I am hoping that before works for him as I have a 4 day weekend already and the extra day would make 5 days off..... I think that weekend will be a short trip with DH as he has the same day off on a Wed.... We are good about getting our weekly vacations together, but individual days usually never work out as well. I am #2 to bid for annual leave where I work and so I get my pick and can just tell DH this is our vacations before I even go in to bid every year. This is one of the reasons why I am hesitant to "retire" and get another job as I know starting over somewhere else won't be this easy. I might just go part-time where I work already, but that is a whole other HR can of worms to deal with and no guarantee that I will get what I want on vacation since it would be more limited in number of slots for PT.

* Got a big shock yesterday as I got praise from a supervisor in front of coworkers. This supervisor usually doesn't do that, but she realized that I handled something that could have really gone sideways quickly if it were not for my quick thinking at the moment. It is nice to hear good stuff every once in a while. Makes me hate my job a little less.....*:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  15. KmmCo

By the way, I found out that there is a name for a movement of people that get their stuff from the trash called "Freegans". Kind of interesting.... I have casually picked up stuff at the curb like discarded furniture, but some of these people really take it seriously not to ever buy anything if they can help it. Some are very anti-consumer as a political point..... Kind of interesting. Not really my lifestyle though as sometimes I actually like to go shopping - though I think I enjoy the thrift store the most. :)

16. jastwins

@KmmCo , I always tell my kids, if it's free, it's for me. LOL.
    As I have previously mentioned, my town has a goody pile....a place, at our dump, where you can leave things on a rack or table for others to use or re-purpose. There are people who make it a daily event! I am picky but have a perfect condition sugar and creamer (from an English pottery line), a soap dish, a Calphalon cover that fits my Calphalon pan and my last find was an HP printer. I replaced the ink and have to test it out. People leave other electronics there too.
    Some guy collects metal stuff and sells it for scrap. Lots of people put books and clothing there, as well as household goods. You just never know what you will find. The good pile is cleaned out every week, so use it or lose it.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Sherri1480, KmmCo, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  17. jastwins

In May, I will be juggling, scrimping and stretching every dollar. We had 6 days off for April spring break and I was not paid for those days, but did work my bank job. It is a help but never fully makes up the pay I am missing. My next school pay check will only be for 4 full days. : ( the remaining 6 days will be paid by the bank the day before my paycheck arrives.
    At the end of May, I will not be paid by the school and will lose 3 days' pay for unused snow days that get tacked on to our Memorial Day break. Being a timesheet employee is something I am used to, but the bills just keep coming. When you think of 9 days of no pay and my back up can barely make up 3/4's of the money, I am short about $400. May is a killer month with Mother's Day, travel expenses for picking up my kids from college and a communion that I have to attend this weekend. At least I have my ferry tolls paid to pick up D2 in Massachusetts.

I am trying to use my gcs to buy what I need, but Walmart online keeps changing the items in my basket....either removing them or saying something about the shipping. I am trying to avoid going there but may have to this weekend. Not sure what the issue is and I will call today.

18. KmmCo

So lunch ended up being taquitos because were were busy and in a hurry. We did the homemade pizza for dinner. I discovered we were out of salsa at lunchtime so I used some taco bell hot sauce on mine.... We cleaned out our condiment packets and started fresh, so I was glad that I still had some hot sauce from a stop in there a few weeks ago.... Went to Walmart afterward and picked up a lot of bakery markdowns while getting the salsa. I got 2 pies, some pecan tarts (that are almost gone already), and some macadamia nut cookies. I also grabbed a Bob Evans mac-n-cheese for $1.49 markdown. I did not find any markdown meat there for today, so we went to Target later. Tuesday Morning is in the same area so we stopped there for a little bit too and I bought a couple of food things (candy and a soup mix).

We got some hamburger patties for lunch today that had $3 off stickers on them. I will heat up the mac-n-cheese for the side dish. DH is grilling 2 pkgs x4 burgers so that he can take the extras to work. This lead to the issue of having to go fill the propane bottle this morning, but that didn't really take too long.

It is drying out enough that we can probably mow by this evening......

We detoured by a yard sale on the way home from the propane fill but didn't even stop when it looked like it was all little kid stuff like toys and clothes.... The weather is finally nice enough this weekend for a few people to start having sales. I am going to try and get one together at some point, probably not until June though. Really need to downsize more of my stuff......

19. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Good luck with the "juggling" jastwins...that's gotta hurt :(

20. KmmCo

Uuuugh... It is snowing again today! I am so tired of snow..... It is that nasty, wet slushy stuff too. I want to do a couple of errands this afternoon but hate getting out in the mess.

This morning's projects are the normal laundry and dishes. I am also going to clean out the fridge and reorganize the freezer today. I need to figure out exactly what is left in the freezer to cook and get rid of the older stuff out of there. I know I have 4 more packs of chicken breast so that will be one of my meals this weekend for sure.

~I think I will do up a polish saugage that I have for lunch today. I will use up some potatoes I have along with some onion and bell pepper to make a side.

~carpooler got sick on Tuesday afternoon and barely made it though the last couple of hours of the work day. I ended up taking the train to work on Wed since he called off sick. I am glad that I get the bus pass still as a back-up. I think a nasty virus is going around as there were 6 absences on Wed. I really was not feeling good on Sunday and Monday but toughed it out both days, thinking I was just tired. Now I think maybe I had a small bit of what was going around. Monday night I went to bed as soon as I got home and felt a lot better on Tuesday. Normally I try to do a couple of chores during the work week, but got nothing done except one load of towels washed on Tuesday night....

~not so frugal. I did not have any lunch for Wed and decided to go to a new Qdoba that opened nearby. A coworker tagged along and I bought both our lunches ($20 total).

I have decided that some of my co-workers are a bit lonely as they seem to want to talk a lot, but I don't mind listening as I learn stuff. This person had some experiences working in other countries and showed me some interesting pictures. Another guy was talking and showing pictures of working in Alaska at breaktime, since another girl mentioned a possible transfer there. Barrow always sounded interesting to me, but he recommended that she go to Nome to start. I had talked to HR about that a couple of years ago but decided not to do it because the pay was not higher enough to make up the $18 gallons of milk, etc. I still think it is an interesting thought, but I am not sure that I would want to do it as the minimum transfer time is a 1 year commitment and I think that might feel like forever to be away from the family here.... This same guy had been is Williston (?), SD during an oil boom and had some interesting insights into that area - said he was not interested in working there again for sure! Nothing against the town, just some of the stuff he had to deal with at the job.......

Moderators: KimShaw