Frugal Living - Challenge 2019 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 5, 2019.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

I got most of a gallon ziplock full of shredded cheese now. I still have a small piece of cheese left that I didn't shred. I have a lot of sliced cheese still, so maybe I will use that leftover piece for diced snacks. We love our cheese around here....

Went to the store to get a packet of the ranch dressing powder for my cheezy ranch chex mix. I never got around to making it last weekend. I found some markdown greek yogurts (.39) and some regular chex mix seasoning packets for .09. I also grabbed a markdown deli pizza for $3.49 and stuffed into the freezer for my son to have later. The seasoning packet I was after was $1.99 for Hidden Valley and I spotted Kroger brand for .79 so I grabbed that instead. I hope it tastes good....

Still waiting for the insurance company to contact me back. The car drives okay, so I don't think the frame is bent. The bumper and bumper cover are sure trashed though.....

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Not exactly a cheap week, but we're saving where we can.

Last week the lock on the Blazer broke. I had to drive to Walmart with a headache with my remote to let DH into the car. He got into it in the driveway to leave the house, but when he came out of Walmart it wouldn't let him back into the vehicle -- and to make matters worse, GM only put one single lock on that car so he couldn't crawl in through another door! Any way they can to cut corners and save money! :mad:

DH made an appointment and the Chevy dealer ordered the part. Turns out GM no longer makes them, so we paid more than $100 for a used part to fix a lock which apparently breaks quite frequently on that vehicle.

He also bit the bullet and ordered another remote which will be another $100 down the drain when it supposedly arrives tomorrow, but hopefully it will stave off a future catastrophe like the other night if he is opening the door with a remote instead of a key on a daily basis.

Then the bathroom faucet decided to take its final dive and dump water all over the bathroom floor.

It isn't like this problem hasn't been coming on for a LONG time. However, DH isn't a plumber and he kept hoping to stave off the inevitable with stop-gap measures that weren't working. I've gotta say it has been rather trying to my patience.

It took him all day yesterday, but he did a good job and in the end I'm a pretty happy camper. The drain which has been a problem for more than 20 years is FINALLY in working order.

It took everything we had to get into this house when we bought it, so needless to say money was tight for quite a few years. Actually since DH lost his job of more than 25 years a few years later things never got past being tight.

Our house was a HUD repo so while it is a solidly built house with very good "bones," it wasn't in perfect condition when we got it. It is just that the other non-repo houses we looked at were in MUCH worse condition than this one. lol! One realtor took us into a house with no kitchen, no working bathrooms and a kitchen sink installed RIGHT inside the front door. Then there was the house with a a BBQ pit in the kitchen but no room for a stove ... you REALLY wouldn't believe what we went through to find this place! :rolleyes: We weren't looking for a house we could flip, we wanted one we could LIVE in!

One of the things we had to replace immediately was the bathroom sink and of course, that style sink was NOT fashionable at the time, so it was either replace the cabinet, which meant replacing the floor ... sub-floor ... and the toilet ... and you know how those projects go -- or go the route we chose which was to find a nearly-new, used sink that fit the cabinet hole at a local thrift store.

We paid very little for the sink, but it was designed for a widespread faucet which ALSO wasn't in style at the time. I had to buy ANOTHER nearly-new sink which wasn't designed for our cabinet, because it had a nearly new faucet that would work with our nearly-new sink.

DH needed a friend's help to get the sink installed and the friend meant well, but cemented the old drain from the old faucet into place even though we had to replace the faucet on the sink within short order. At the time I remember cringing when he told us he'd done such a "good job" of cementing the drain that it "would never come loose."

That has meant that for more than two decades I've had to put up with NOT having a pop-up drain, even though every faucet we've replaced has come with a very nice one. However, the drains have levers which are all different heights, so the new faucet levers never worked with the old drain. I've been stuck using a plastic stopper which leaked like a sieve.

Apparently, enough years had passed that the cement had FINALLY worn away and DH had forgotten that our friend had cemented it -- even though he's had 20 years of complaints about me never having a decent drain plug in the bathroom that actually held water in the sink.

Yesterday, he removed the old drain and replaced it with the new one that came with the faucet. I FINALLY have a pop-up drain in my bathroom sink!!!!!!

The new faucet cost us almost another $100, but I did have a little over $50 in Home Depot gift cards. I've been wary of building up too many of those after Home Depot had big gift card hacking problems several years ago.

In the end we got a nice Delta faucet for less than $50 OOP and since DH was able to get it installed himself NO labor costs. I dread to think what a plumber would have charged.

While he was at it, he cleaned out the drain to stave off any future problems -- although he said he was pleasantly surprised at how little was built up since it has been ages since he's had to tackle that messy job.

Overall, we've gotten a couple big jobs accomplished about as frugally as is possible in this day and age, so I'm feeling positive.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and Jorainna like this.
  3. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

WOW @Gardencook I'm impressed with all you have gotten done! I feel like our house is going to fall apart around us. Every since hubby had his stroke 11 yrs. ago, and now learned he had stage 4 kidney disease in November things have just been so hard to keep up with. The cold water handle on the bathtub started spinning freely and I ended up getting my 25 yr. old ex-DIL (owes me quite a bit of money), to help me find the cut off for the water outside since there was no cut off in the house. We went to Lowe's to get a "curbside tool" and the handle and it's kind of fixed - here two weeks later, it feels like it is starting to spin again. The house is just 70 something yrs. old and it's plumbing is outdated - hard to match stuff up to it. I feel like I am turning into MacGyver ... LOL!

4. Gardencook

I understand exactly how you feel @Jorainna! My father died when I was three. My mother had to learn to do all sorts of odd jobs around the house -- many were things I'd still be terrified to tackle.

I grew up doing things girls my age knew little about and I was used to doing so many things by myself that even my husband was stunned when he used to come home and find I'd rearranged all the furniture in the living room (including very heavy pieces) without any assistance. I honestly didn't think that was anything out of the ordinary. :p

My husband's father was actually quite handy, but didn't want to be bothered to teach his sons how to do things. My poor husband has struggled with having to learn to do so many car and household tasks on his own, but he's managed it. This was just one task he was dreading, so he kept putting it off.

The faucet has been leaking for ages and the handles on the faucet were semi-broken, as well. Air was getting in the faucet and it gurgled and spit each time you used it. We could still use the hot and cold water, but the handles didn't shut off in the proper position any longer. If you pushed them too far back, you'd come in later and find a slow trickle of water flowing from the faucet ... and of course, when that happened it made the leak worse. :eek:

Then of course, we've got REALLY hard water here, so plumbing doesn't last long before it must be replaced. He's FOREVER replacing parts in the toilet tank because they rust out. :(

We do have a water cut off valve in the house, BUT not a separate one under the sink, so he's got to shut off water to the whole house any time he makes a repair.

Meanwhile, with the job situation he's been busy for years either commuting long distances to a job, applying for jobs or spending long hours on freelance work which means trying to find time for repairs on a limited budget is a nightmare. Sometimes all the things that are broken close in on me, but I actually feel like we made a small step in the right direction this week. ;)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Sherri1480, jcdamomma and Jorainna like this.
  5. KmmCo

Feeling amazed at the kindness of strangers .... We had Quiznos sandwiches delivered to our lunchroom 2 afternoons in a row (courtesy of a nearby business). Last night I brought an Italian sandwich home for dinner. Today I snagged a turkey sandwich - ate half at last break and gave the other half to my son when I got home. I have not had Quiznos in months and it really hit the spot. Rumor has it that another business is delivering free pizza tomorrow, but it is my day off and I am kind of tired of pizza anyway as we have gotten it twice in the last couple of weeks.

The most amazing thing was that a class of 6th graders had a food drive and brought us canned goods. I have a full pantry and didn't really need to take anything home, but I got a huge kick out of reading some of the letters they sent along with the food. Kinda teared up though when one kid said "I know what it is like to be hungry because you don't have any money." There were some funny comments too about politicians - kids are pretty smart sometimes. My carpool buddy said we should sent those letters to Congress - not a bad idea in my opinion!

The fun thing was a pancake breakfast that our managers put on Tuesday. It was fun seeing them cook pancakes and scrambled eggs on hotplates in a conference room. We all ate a plate in the morning and the leftovers ended up in the lunchroom for afternoon snacks too... At the end of the day the leftovers went home with some of the coworkers. I snagged a few eggs that didn't get used and a partial bottle of pancake syrup because nobody else wanted them at the end of the day. We left the juice in the fridge at work for people to drink today..... It was fun and we told the managers that we needed to do that once a month even when the shutdown is over. :D

Anyway, tonight I got the fridge at home straightened out a bit and ran a load of dishes too. I am just gonna finish up some leftovers for lunch tomorrow and then figure out what I will cook the rest of the weekend.

bugweena, Sherri1480, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  6. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I usually buy my older son a city bus pass for him to get to work. They have kids, bought a house, etc. and I try and help them out some. I get a pass that is $15 but you get 20 rides out of it, so it is a savings of $5. Anyhow, I got him one over a month ago that was defective and the downtown station gave him a hard time over it, acting like he was trying to scam them out of rides or something. Yesterday, when I went to buy him a new one at the office away from downtown, I complained.

The lady went to double check the pass she was selling me and the computer would not read it! She went to call her manager over, but he was at lunch. She then began to count out 20 of the single one ride passes and put them in a nice neat little clear pouch. I was not to sure what my son was going to think of keeping track of a "pouch". About that time, the manager returned and he fixed it asap on the computer and handed me the new pass card. I was in the act of handing the pouched ones back to the lady when he intervened and said no, keep them for the inconvenience and trouble!

Yay! Twenty free rides and I kept out some of the single passes to give my younger son that has to ride the bus maybe 3 times a month as he works part time.

I had spent so much time dealing with the passes that now my lunch hour was really shortened. I went through the McDonald's nearby to get an oatmeal and an orange juice as I really don't like fast food and all the sodium in it. Paid at the first window, got to the 2nd window to get my food and the manager was running it - he said he had an extra orange juice, would I want it? Of course! I brought it into work with me to put in the fridge for today!

bugweena, Sherri1480, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  7. KmmCo

Went out to a Mexican restaurant last night that was offering free entree up to $14 off with Fed ID. First time I have been out to eat since the shutdown started on Dec 22. I had to pay for drinks and tip to waitress, but it was a nice meal out for $12 for 2 of us..... The nice part was that the manager boxed up a "mistake meal" for me to take home. I split it between two containers for work lunches on Sun and Monday. It looked like a variety plate of enchiladas. (I had a beef enchilada plate and DH had a smothered burrito.) Really good food ......

We just raided the fridge for leftovers at lunch yesterday and will do the same today. Not sure what I am making for dinner as DH vetoed the chicken that I was going to pull out of the freezer.

We are going to drive the car over to a body shop to get an estimate this morning and then go from there with a plan for the rest of the day.....

8. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

As I looked at my paycheck I realized it was not a full check, but it could have been worse had I not put in my paperwork for my extra timesheets. Thank God. I need to get the girls back to school this weekend and have to account for gas and some tolls. Ez pass just reloaded and I should have enough to cover my trip to D1's college. D2's ferry for our car trip is paid and I had her pick up tickets for my island ferry. I decided to buy only one book since if I need anything, I can just use the north instead of the south ferry. Saves me $60 this paycheck for a book of 10 trips.

I used 2 gcs for Applebees and bought us all dinner Wednesday night. I paid my tip in cash when I messed up on the pay at your table screen and gave our waitress $10 for her help.
    My bank gc for $100 was used to buy d3 items for college. Really wanted to treat myself to something, but I could not leave her without the things she needed plus it was the day before payday. It covered my $94.50 bill at Target and I will use the remaining $5.50 for whatever I need.
    D1 will get reimbursed by the airlines for her damaged suitcase and I will give her the money to get a new suitcase and wait for her check to come in the mail.
    Tonight I am working another game and will put in my paperwork next Tuesday for payment.

9. KmmCo

Dinner is some Bear Creek soup and some garlic Parmesan biscuits (from a mix in the pantry). It is snowing big time and I figured minestrone soup will hit the right spot tonight...

Didn't do much of anything this afternoon except watch some more travel videos.... DH kinda slept most of the afternoon away.

Noticed that I got a cash stock dividend this week. I am using it to wipe out a couple of small credit card balances that are due in early February. Trying to keep on top of the little stuff, so that it doesn't become big stuff later....

Cathy, Sherri1480, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  10. Gardencook

Hit some good discounts at one store the other day. It had quite a few bakery items marked down about 75 percent off. We got angel food cake for 89 cents, pumpkin pie for $1.29 and a lemon pound/bundt cake for $1.99.

That is the store that is so small it doesn't mess with a lot of health foods it gets sent, so I got some matcha tea -- which has been impossible for me to find around here since we don't have a proper health food store. Also got a good price on some slivered almonds.

We got home late that afternoon and I noticed an e-mail from the local film society had arrived just before 3 p.m. A highly acclaimed documentary on WWI called "They Shall Not Be Forgotten" was showing at our local theater that day. DH had been wanting to see it, but didn't have any idea when it was showing -- and frankly we RARELY get special showings of movies in our town and get tired of driving an hour each way to see them. :confused:

We had already missed the previous two showings, but could still make the 7 p.m. show if we quickly finished our dinner and dashed off.

It was a bit of a splurge for us, since it was 3D and we rarely catch first-run theater movies preferring to wait until they are cheaper at second-run theaters. However, this movie with fully restored, colorized footage from the war was showing one day only across the entire nation so it was catch it then or miss it entirely.

I got an e-mail from Shopko advertising a big home sale. What immediately caught my eye was a house brand microfiber mattress pad (Retail $59.99), King size was on sale for $12.99 and there was a code "SWEETDREAMS" which took off an additional 15 percent! Smaller sizes were priced accordingly.

We've needed a new mattress pad for ages, but haven't been able to find a decent deal on one. Tried a couple times at Kmart stores while we were on the road, but one time the store had the wrong price on the shelf and it rang up a lot higher at the register while another time the register refused to recognize it as a "Home" item and take off the Surprise Points I'd been offered.

Shopko is ANOTHER store that recently declared bankruptcy. They are closing all three stores in the Boise area, but miraculously the two stores on our side of the state survived the closures. Considering that it is one of our few remaining department stores that was certainly a relief.

I was able to order it for store pick up to save the shipping costs. So the total after online code was only $11.05 before tax.

We were REALLY impressed by the store's efficiency!

I ordered it late that night -- after our store had closed, because we got home from the movie late. I went through the Swagbucks Portal and only two or three hours later I got an e-mail notification I'd be getting Swagbucks back. I've never had that happen so quickly before! It was only 22 Swagbucks for the purchase, but every little bit helps and Shopko certainly notified Swagbucks of my purchase quickly. It was a relief to know I wouldn't have to fight for my Swagbucks.

Then the next morning I had an e-mail notification from Shopko that our order was ready for pick-up. The store is only a little over two miles from our home. We dropped in and didn't have any wait picking up our order.

Shopko blew Walmart out of the water when it came to ordering an item that the store has in stock! It usually takes a day or two for Walmart to get around to allowing you to pick up an item when you order it for store pick-up -- even though it promises same-day delivery.

For $11 I honestly wasn't expecting much, but I did feel the mattress pad inside the plastic zipper pouch and it seems to be as high a quality as the others we've been seeing in other stores.

Shopko does do online orders with shipping, as well, so if anyone needs a mattress pad you might want to check it out even if you don't have the store in your region. They had other mattress pads available and a lot of other good home prices as well as clearance luggage. They just weren't items we needed at the moment.

Yesterday we dropped by the post office to mail letters and DH picked up a few books of Forever stamps. Rates go up this weekend, so it is a great time to stock up on stamps if you haven't yet!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  11. jastwins

@Gardencook, thank you for the reminder about the postal rates going up since I have one stamp left. The price on Amazon has already gone up to the new rate, so I will head over to the local post office after work to purchase stamps at the lower rate. I also have to mail out an ebay package. D1 ordered some things online and of course they come to our local post office the day after the weekend I brought her back to college. UGH!!! If the items can wait, I may just not mail them until she can come home for a visit.

12. KmmCo

Prepping for missing that second paycheck this weekend.... It appears that I "will work for food" . Quiznos sandwiches two times this week, drinks and snacks from a local charity table set up at work two different days, a feast of Costco sandwich trays and chips today (provided by a union group.) Also a super fancy cupcake dropped of by a random stranger - you know those expensive bakery shop ones that I would never ever consider buying - the person dropped off a big box of them that my boss graciously accepted. I also got a chance to get some laundry soap, canned goods, and a few other odds and ends - from another event that was doing giveaways for Fed workers at a nearby parking lot one day (I got a ride over with some coworkers at my split shift lunchtime and still had plenty of time to eat afterward). I also brought home a bunch of donated bread products. ( I committed to bring in a giant batch of bread pudding to share on Sunday.)

Oh and an ex-coworker/friend of mine brought a big batch of spaghetti to the workplace one evening. I was not there that night, but some of it was left in the fridge so I took a few bites just to taste it on the following morning.....

I also was gifted a $50 Walmart card from some of the ones given to our management. Somebody apparently submitted my name as one of the people that "had a need". I think I know which coworker it was, so I didn't want to turn it down. I felt a little guilty because not everyone got something like that. I figure I will pay it forward to a charity once I do get a paycheck. It came in handy the other night as I had to buy some cold medicine for our household and spent $6 and change. I still have $43 left to spend and am kind of saving for any unknown important stuff I might need later.

I have been joking about quitting my job when I run out of TP and my carpool buddy said knock it off or he will have to be carrying 7 cases of TP to the car one night.... Most of my other coworkers thought it was a pretty funny joke though. We actually have TP on the giveaway shelf in the lunchroom for those that do need it. I have been using a partial roll that someone else got out for emergency kleenex this week - it is sure better than the paper towels someone else stole from the bathroom! I still have most of a Costco pack of TP in my house right now, so I am not taking any....

~Today we got another delivery of Quiznos just as we were coming in for afternoon part of our shift. I didn't even want it again and let someone from the shift that was leaving have mine instead. I think I am getting sandwiched out! I ate some pinwheels from the Costco trays and didn't even touch the croissant sandwiches. I cleaned up the breakroom after my shift and put the remaining sandwiches and pinwheels in the fridge for the morning crew to enjoy. I did take home some yummy honey mustard mayo that was left over. I brought one sandwich and two pinwheels home to my son - my payment for cleanup duties tonight!

-------------------------

For cooking at home this weekend: I am thawing hot dogs, a random piece of beef roast, and a package of chicken. I will do chili dogs for lunch tomorrow with some of the donated hot dog buns. I will throw the beef in the smaller crockpot and do stroganoff for dinner tomorrow night. I have sour cream that needs used up this weekend. Chicken will most likely get turned into Chinese food on Friday. I have some nice hamburger buns (again from the donation box) that seem pretty fresh and think I might either do BBQ pork sandwiches or sloppy joes at some point this weekend too.....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  13. KmmCo

Also, on the way home $20 worth of gas went into carpooler's tank. I am sure he appreciates it as that should give him enough gas for anything he wants to do this weekend. He thinks he heard about a gas gift card giveaway on Saturday and is hoping that he can score that for himself. DH and I are going to a food giveaway on Saturday, but if the gas card rumors are true I will get one of those too if I can manage it.

14. KmmCo

By the way, one of our managers found a charity that is giving away diapers..... He asked if I wanted any for my DH ( joking around, since he knows him). I told him I might need some depends if they keep moving that bathroom further away each year. Just kidding, but I swear the bathroom is way too far away from my work area and the older I get the longer the trip seems.......:( One of the stupid reasons that I want to retire soon. Along with the shutdown idiocy that we have to put up with so often anymore ........ After a month of this, I am kinda done with it ......:rolleyes: Okay, rant over for now......

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  15. Gardencook

DH had to go out of town for a meeting yesterday, so I went along to shop.

Deals weren't the most exciting this trip, but I guess it was still worth the effort.

The discount grocery up there has REALLY hiked its prices, so a lot of items really aren't worth purchasing. I did find a bottle of Taco Bell sauce for 89 cents, a jar of Beaver Kosher Horseradish for 69 cents, some pizza sauce for 59 cents and a large can of Muir Glen San Marzano tomatoes for $1.30. Those were a bit of a splurge, but none of our stores sell San Marzano's so I wanted to see if they were really worth all the rave reviews I've heard. Usually the fancy tomatoes taste pretty much like the rest to an untrained palate. :p

Meanwhile, what I really went in for was bread. They've been an Oroweat Bakery thrift outlet for quite some time. They've closed the Oroweat stores where I used to shop in Boise and Washington and the dollar store where I used to get it here went bankrupt. Our favorite discount store had it for a short time, but that didn't last.

Oroweat was sold to Bimbo Bakeries a few years ago and now I don't know if that has been sold again, but according to the store yesterday the "new owners" don't want to deal with small stores, so all they had was "balloon bread" -- not what we wanted. :(

We DID need bread so picked up some organic sprouted and seeded bread at a Northwest bakery outlet. Prices are higher there, but I guess we'd better get used to it. We have a store here, but I needed to kill some time before DH's meeting was over. The other stores I wanted to shop were clear on the other side of town and I couldn't see driving there until DH got out of his meeting, meanwhile, the bakery store was right on the way back to pick up DH.

I paid for six loaves and got one free so that ought to keep DH in bread for a few more days. As long as we've been married, I STILL can't believe how much bread that fellow consumes without gaining weight!

Picked up a few bakery and meat discounts at other stores. Even found four-packs of Noosa yogurt on markdown for 99 cents.

I had a $3/$15 meat department coupon, but haven't been finding prices I liked in recent weeks. That coupon is usually a tough one to use, since we generally don't buy that much meat at one time. When I found a markdown roast package that could be split in two, I had to buy a couple more smaller items to get the amount to $15 and use the coupon. Basically, I would have purchased the roast anyway, so I figured the chicken drumsticks and beef liver were almost free. :cool:

Then we hit a couple thrift stores and I was able to find a three Corelle bowls for our travel box to replace the bulky bowls we've got in there now, as well as a small spare French White casserole dish, which I didn't have when we traveled last time.

Also picked up some of the amusement park refillable drink glasses that I like so well as travel mugs. Our store usually charges $1 each, but that store was only charging 50 cents. The straws don't last forever on those, so I always like to have spares.

We found a nice tan suede bomber jacket for DH in mint condition. It had been $19.99, but Blue tags were half off so we got it for $10 plus that store offers an additional senior discount. :)

I had hoped my latest Big Lots rewards coupon would arrive before we traveled, however, I guess they figured the "Friends and Family" sale last weekend as a "rewards coupon." They'll only let you use one rewards coupon per week and my latest coupon shows as "pending" in my account, but hasn't yet arrived.

Turned out the store didn't have too much to excite us anyway. I would have liked some of the ancient grains crackers that have been discontinued, but are really too expensive to purchase without a coupon. DH demolishes an entire box in one sitting. I saw them last time I was up there, but of course, our store didn't get any. :(

We swung by Staples with a coupon for $10/$20 in break room supplies. Tried to look at the Staples website before we left, but I haven't been there in a while since they closed our store. They've certainly made a mess of that thing! I couldn't find much of anything before we left!

In store, we did find some really high prices, but finally settled on a BIG pack of double roll paper towels on clearance and a BIG pack of 2-ply toilet tissue. After coupon we paid about $14 so did about the best we could.

Did think of @jastwins when I saw the store brand copy of Scott single-ply tissue. They had a HUGE package for about $9.99 as I recall, which didn't seem like a terrible price. You might want to keep that in mind in the future if you get a similar coupon e-mailed to you. ;)

Then we finished off the day with steak and AYCE salad bar on a special deal. We generally treat ourselves to a meal out when we travel there, but always make sure to get a deal or use a coupon.

16. KmmCo

Temporary end to the shutdown! I should get 2 back paychecks and earn 2 more checks before the next one hits - lots of luck there ..... At least my Las Vegas trip is still on. I was wavering about cancelling it this weekend. I also have a dentist appointment the week after that I was going to cancel, but now I don't have to do that now.

I feel a little guilty because I got a huge cartload of stuff from the local food bank yesterday. I took home a ton of produce because Thursday is their last day of the week to give out stuff and there were only 4 people in line (because it was nasty snowy weather). It all would not have lasted until Monday anyway as most of it was a bit distressed. I also got 2 big bags of canned and boxed goods. The nice lady threw a whole turkey in the cart, a nice rack of ribs, and a london broil. I turned down a lot of stuff that I knew I could not use. She really wanted to get rid of the many cans of black beans and tried to give me 4, but I have plenty of black beans already. I did take a bag of dried pintos though.

~I made a vegetarian lunch today with a Knorr skillet starter, canned beans, and a bunch of veggies that I brought home yesterday. My son liked it, but DH would not eat it and made a peanut butter sandwich instead. I made a lunch container for each of use out of the leftovers, so DS and I will get to enjoy one more healthy meal.

Dinner will be chicken stir-fry tonight. I have some frozen eggrolls that I will get out to go with it.

~I am thawing the london broil for tomorrow. I will do the oven bag thing with the onion soup mix and potatoes,onions, and carrots. I got 10 lbs of small red potatoes from the food bank yesterday and I already have carrots. The volunteer tossed two really big onions into my cart too. :D (The food bank apparently freezes all the meat donations that they get from local stores, in order for it to last longer.... I dropped the turkey and ribs right into the freezer when I got home yesterday. I can't believe that they still have turkeys left from the holidays!)

Anyway, when I get paid I will just write a check to the food bank because it is all put away in my pantry now and I am not dragging any of it back to them.....

-----------------
    By the way, my son just paid his community college tuition ($2000) and got his books today. $300 for books for four classes and he is still missing one that was out of stock - uugh! At least he doesn't need a ton of art supplies this semester like he did in the fall.....

So glad that life it back to "normal" for about 3 weeks now. We will see what happens on Feb 15th.....

17. jastwins

@KmmCo I am glad you will be getting a couple of paychecks and hope you continue to get them. The stories in the news are heartbreaking and it is sad that we live in the USA and people have to decide to if they will eat or ration their medications.
    My sister donates $100 from every real estate commission check she receives and gives it to the Knights of Columbus/church food bank. Before her husband passed away, he volunteered there and they met some nice people. Your donation to the food bank will be greatly appreciated and put to good use.

Our school is holding a souper bowl drive and accepting food and toiletry donations. I will be helping out in one class since they only have 7 students. They school is doing and odd and even grade contest, so I will be helping out the first grade. I have lots of canned goods that I can donate.

This weekend, I will make a list of what I need and hope to stick to it. There are certain items I need to stockpile and I will be looking for sales on laundry detergent, deodorant, shampoo and style products. Hopefully, I will shop at CVS and walmart to get some deals. On the Financial Horizons community, I completed 2 surveys worth $30 each and pray that they make the gcs available soon. Getting 1 gc for each store would be ideal and I will try to use the funds for cvs and walmart gcs.
    I signed up for some other Sites and on one of them the gc I wanted was sold out. Um, really!! Not in the market for an itunes gcs, so I will hold onto my points and check back next week.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Sherri1480, Jorainna and jcdamomma like this.
  18. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

@KmmCo So glad you will be getting your paychecks and praying their won't be another shutdown. I loved reading your stories about former coworkers and local businesses providing meals while you were at work. There were a lot of businesses around here doing that as well. I agree with @jastwins about the heartbreaking stories. One of my relatives have to pull her child out of 1/2 day child care and have another relative keep her as her husband wasn't receiving a paycheck and they simply couldn't afford it. :(

I'm working on eating out of my freezer. Found some Mississippi Pot roast in the freezer and we had it last night on some marked down sub rolls from Walmart. DH kept asking for more but I was out of rolls,

I had a collision with a deer on the way to work yesterday. It was a very large deer at a full run. I collided with the 2nd of 3. DH was right behind me and saw it all. Parked the car at a church and rode into work with DH (we usually carpool but just happened to be driving separately yesterday). It was dark of course and couldn't really assess the damage. When we picked it up going back home it looks like a dent in the passenger door, and of course the front bumper is just plastic so it is just hanging there. We have a very low deductible on our car insurance so it won't be too painful for it to be out of commission. Doesn't appear to have any engine damage but the adjuster is going to look at it on Tuesday. Fortunately we have two other vehicles we can drive and won't be taking advantage of the car rental even though it is covered in our insurance.

So glad all of our family, friends, and neighbors will be receiving their paychecks!

19. KmmCo

I was just watching a documentary last night focused on payday loans. Even people in relatively good paying jobs can get themselves into bad situations and not have any place else to turn.... Fortunately, I learned from the 2013 shutdown to save a little extra for the stupidity at work. A lot of my coworkers are newer or younger and don't realize how quickly the situation can get out of hand if your paycheck is not there on time. (I even had a 5 day pay delay during hurricane Katrina and that was kind of anxiety inducing for me at the time.)

By the time payroll gets in on Monday, I suspect we still won't get paid until about Wed or Thurs. next week and my bank is slow anyway to post deposits. I will be surprised if I get any of my back pay before next Friday.....

As far as eating, I think that a lot of people either don't have a stockpile, or know how to cook cheap, or know what community resources are available to them. My pantry was pretty stocked and I probably could have made it another 2 or 3 weeks without a problem. I went ahead and went to the food bank because the other day my boss said "don't wait till you're desperate" to get help and I though that was a good idea on his part. As of Thursday, the situation didn't look like it was going to resolve itself anytime soon. (I am thinking the ATC issues had a little bit to do with the quick change on Friday - the idea of a sick out was being tossed around by a few of my coworkers but nobody really seemed to want to stick their head on a platter to organize it....)

20. M_Lexx

M_Lexx Active Member Trader Group

With this shutdown my parents' interview at the embassy for their US visa renewals had been postponed, hopefully it will be solved in the next week or two, amidst this chaos there's a talk of filing fees being raised from $160 to $300+ for a three-year long visa, so it is a little bit stressful but really it is a very minor inconvenience in comparison to what federal workers are going through.

Stocked up on a few items like cake mix and frosting ($0.50/box/can of Pillsbury), chicken legs, sanitary pads and hair color this month, nothing special going on except worries about DH's upcoming medical bills for five appointments this month and prices on everything steadily creeping up. I am not sure whether it's just me but lately it has gotten quite ridiculous to the point staples like toilet paper and paper towels are becoming worth their weight in gold and I am contemplating a subscription service through Amazon like we already do with cat food and litter, and recently trash bags. I love the thrill of a bargain hunt and will continue to do it any way in hopes of stumbling on some awesome deals every now and then.

Made about $200 in sales extra due to quite an unexpected craft event at the school of the arts where I work, so that helped, got a few return customers who keep pushing the idea of selling more stuff online. Made ten pairs of fingerless gloves, two pairs of socks and two lace shawls this month but most of it will probably go to the next Christmas-themed market this November if I don't get off of my butt and finally revive my accounts on Etsy, Paypal and Instagram. Oh well, perhaps extra income could pay for that expensive toilet paper, right?

Moderators: KimShaw