Frugal Living - Challenge 2019 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 5, 2019.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today was a 10 percent senior discount day on house brands at the grocery store and Red Robin had a B1G1 burger deal. However, we ate a late lunch of leftover pizza and wanted to waste a bit of time before we ate dinner there.

We dropped in at the larger Goodwill store that opened near our house two or three months ago. We got some good deals when we went right after it opened, but hadn't been back since.

Not that I really needed more pans, but ...

We hit a really solid older waterless cookware 12-inch skillet with lid and egg poacher insert for $7.99/$7.20 after senior discount. I have stainless steel skillet with insert, but it isn't nearly as good a pan and has always been warped on the bottom so it rocks on the burner. I picked it up second hand, so got my money's worth.

However, the one today was in mint condition and based on the pans I've seen at the state fair would have easily sold for at least $100, so I bit.

We also found a really good arm sling which I could have used on our recent trip when my carpal tunnel reared its ugly head after several years without problems. It was only $3.20 after senior discount and is MUCH better than the cheap one the clerk sold DH at the CVS next door to our hotel, after the website told me that store had a better one.

I'll probably never need it now that I bought it, but at least I'll have it on hand for the future.

We also found several nice brand new canvas grocery bags that were all half price and ranged from 50 cents to $1.49. I'll probably get a few odd comments about the one which claims "Bride to Be," but at least the canvas ones don't rip after one use and can be washed. We're going to get forced into using them next year when our regular store discontinues plastic bags.

Until then we're hoarding all our plastic grocery bags, since we have a trash can that is designed to use them instead of constantly having to buy trash bags.

We also found one of the net ones to use for produce, so we'll give that a try at farmer's markets next summer.

Dropped by another thrift store after that, but all we found was another travel cup like I use for my iced tea when we travel. I've found them from amusement parks and state fairs all across the nation, but I've been having a hard time finding them lately so I think they were a fad that ran their course and I probably won't find many of them in the future.

bugweena, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  2. Gardencook

Shopped an hour away for a few things today and picked up some good discount deals at some grocery stores that helped offset the gas it took to get there.

The first store was getting rid of a bunch of organic red quinoa at 50 percent off. Figured we wouldn't be able to find it around here in the future, so went ahead and stocked up.

They were also getting rid of organic farro, but I restrained myself since I had some at home and don't use it as often as quinoa.

The next store had one-pound containers of deli coleslaw marked down to 59 cents, heat-and-eat mashed potatoes for 89 cents, uncooked whole wheat tortillas for 69 cents and large 12-inch apple and cherry pies from the bakery for $1.75.

Picked up some markdown cookies at the next grocery store along with a couple nice, seasoned and tenderized steaks marked down to a little more than $2 for the package.

That store also had good sale prices on some other groceries including roasts, ground beef, butter, frozen stir-fry vegetables and frozen burritos.

Then they had a special going on Drano, which wasn't bad, but wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped. They were offering $2 off when you purchased two bottles and I used two $1 manufacturer coupons.

However, I noticed the register apparently considered the $2 discount a "manufacturer coupon" even though it wasn't a digital you had to load. After the clerk fed in my two printable coupons, the register added BACK the $2 discount it had taken off previously -- which kind of defeated the purpose of using the printables. :confused:

In the end we paid $3.49 a bottle when competitor's were charging almost $5, so still a decent deal. And it was a senior discount day, so we got a 10 percent discount on everything -- not just house brands like our regular store -- that included the meat and brought the Drano down to about $3.15 a bottle after discount.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Jorainna, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  3. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

More decluttering today. Sold a comforter set (for $20) and finished filling up that big bag that I started for donation.

I took the whole day yesterday off work as a paid sick day because I had a one hour dentist appointment. I got a ton of housework done and a few errands as well. I stocked up on some sale stuff at Kroger like progresso soups and spaghetti sauce - spent about $40 total. I bought a little markdown stew meat and some stir fry veggies which I cooked for lunch today. I am just doing spaghetti for dinner tonight since we have not had that for a while...

I pulled a pork roast out of the freezer and am going to stuff it in the crockpot tomorrow - probably for pulled pork sandwiches.

DH has a terrible cold and I hope that I don't catch it. He just slept most of today away.

I had some $$$ left from this paycheck so I opened a separate savings account for my temporary move in the spring. I will load it up with enough for the security deposit and 2 months rent, plus I want another $1000 for any just in case things that I have not come up with yet. December is a 3 paycheck month, so the last one is all for me to save! DH has his 3 paycheck month in Nov because he got paid on the 30th and mine doesn't come till Monday so it was on the 2nd of December. I am questioning my sanity at paying rent when I have 3 paid off houses here in Colorado, but I do really want to do this job transfer to check out another place.

bugweena, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

Went by Big Lots on the way to the grocery store today and picked up a few deals, but I mentioned them in the December Free thread, so won't go into that here.

We did a huge shopping trip earlier in the week, so we really didn't need too much today. However, I did pick up some 99 cent cheese and $3.99 coffee on the three-day sale.

They also had some nice produce markdowns including tomatoes, Mandarins, limes and apples. We ran out of Mandarins a couple nights ago and I've really missed having them to snack on before bed.

The store has also had Bob's Red Mill products on sale for a few weeks and I finally got around to shopping for those. I had three one dollar coupons and picked up oat flour, sorghum flour and coarse cornmeal -- all for less than $2.00 each a/c and sale.

Gotta get busy and make some bread one of these days.

I was able to use pre-paid debit cards the rewards program sent me after I couldn't use my points to pay for the groceries, so no money OOP for the food.

Then the store sent me some bonus fuel points offers on gift cards and I didn't want to create confusion buying them with all the other groceries we got the other day.

We didn't need a lot of the cards this time -- including several for stores which aren't anywhere close to our home. However, I was able to get 200 bonus fuel points each on two cards -- one for movies and one "Happy Card" good at a variety of places.

The two cards added nearly 50 cents in fuel rewards which we will use next month. Still have more and enough fuel rewards left over from last month to get us to the end of this month.

We've really loved all the bonus fuel points offers in recent months and still have two one dollar per gallon fill-ups and a 70 cent one to use. DH needs to go out of town next weeks, so that will take care of at least one of them.

5. KmmCo

:( I spent my entire work week totally sick with a cold....:( Yep, I am that bad one that went to work all week and probably spread it around to everyone else. I finally felt better when I woke up on my day off yesterday. I had a ton of catch up to do on housework though and I also wanted to rest a bit more just to make sure that I didn't have a relapse. We just ate a few leftover odds and ends yesterday because I didn't even really get anything out to cook. I never even left the house all day ....

Today I made some grilled cheese for lunch with fruit and coleslaw on the side. We ate dinner out since we were on the side of town where L&L Hawaiian BBQ is. We had gone to look at some Christmas decor/festivities at a big hotel near where I work - we were curious what the hotel was like anyway so we walked around the lobby, grounds, and conference center area. The decor was okay. Not something that I would bother going to look at again another year though, since they charged $8 for parking if you were not a hotel guest... On the way home we did gas up the car and stop to get a couple of grocery items, so the trip was not a waste.

I sold an additional item on facebook market for $7 to someone in my neighborhood. I only had to go about 4 blocks to deliver it, so that was nice. Totally worth my time. I have a couple of other things still listed that I will leave up for a while before hauling them off to donation. I am still working on sorting out my clothing stuff. I can not believe how much stuff that I have that I don't really wear that often. I can really stand to cut down a lot more on my clothes....

I picked a senior for my Angel Tree gift this year. I got an electric tea kettle that was on the request and I added a (new in package) shirt that I had in my closet since her size was listed as the same as mine. Last year I bought a baby toy/clothes for a little one because there were no seniors left when I went to pluck a name off the tree. For some reason I think that I like doing the seniors because it kind of honors my Mom near the time she passed... I can't hardly believe it has been almost 6 years now.:(

Anyway, I am off Christmas Day but DH has to work a 12 hour. I guess that I will enjoy some quiet time in the house and maybe get some more decluttering done.:D

6. Gardencook

Braved the cold to get a few deals this afternoon. We got buried in snow Friday night and Saturday so really didn't want to get out on the roads yesterday.

Now the temps will plunge over the next few days, so figured we'd better bring home a few of the deals that will end Tuesday night. We'll be sub-zero at night by the end of the week.

Got some decent meat deals from the ad at the first store along with a couple frees -- but I forgot to get the candy bars which were on sale and on my list. Oh well, that's probably a good thing. :oops:

Did pick up a couple three-pound bags of mandarin oranges for less than two dollars each after sale and coupons which were about to expire.

The next store had some markdowns on deli salads, ground turkey and stir-fry mix.

We ran by a small local grocery hoping they might still have another case of grapefruit -- although the store is so tiny we knew it probably wouldn't.

Didn't find grapefruit, but it did have some large cans of house brand vegetable juice on markdown for 50 percent off, so we bought four cans for a little more than $4 total.

Then we did a couple more rounds of mega sale at the final store to use some coupons we didn't want to lose.

Also found a bag of stir-fry mix on markdown for $1.49. A one dollar best customer coupon went through without a beep, so got it for 49 cents.

They've just opened a Smart Foodservice Warehouse an hour away and DH has to go out of town on Thursday. I checked the web site for grapefruit last night and learned it had to be special ordered. So after we got home today we called and learned they could get it in by Thursday. So we'll get another case of grapefruit after all. The first one was certainly delicious, so we hope these are as tasty!

It is a lot cheaper that way than what I paid at the grocery store the other day -- even after a 10 percent discount. Eight five-pound bags will cost less than $30 by the case, but we paid $9 for two bags last Tuesday. That means I won't have to buy more at that price when I can get a discount again tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Cathy, Jorainna, bugweena and 2 others like this.
  7. Gardencook

Well, last night DH realized that the meeting he was planning to attend this Thursday actually took place last Friday. They've got a new gal who didn't get the announcements out like the old one usually does. :(

Driving an hour each way out of town to buy a case of grapefruit alone didn't make much sense, so DH called as soon as the store opened this morning to see if it was too late to cancel our order. The fellow he spoke with said there was no problem and they would just put the grapefruit out on the shelf and sell it that way.

That meant I ended up buying a couple more bags of grapefruit at our regular store when I could get 10 percent off today. It wasn't as good a deal as it would have been by the case, but better some discount than no discount ...

Of course, we've still got three discount gasoline fill-ups that will expire by the end of this month and no real need to drive anywhere with tons of snow and frigid temperatures.

Always something ... :confused:

jcdamomma and Jorainna like this.
  8. Gardencook

Local discount grocery had gotten a shipment of whole wheat bread today and was offering it for one dollar a loaf. It hasn't been able to get day-old bread in quite a while so we ran over and got some.

It also had jars of turkey gravy for 25 cents each and condensed soups for 50 cents each. We picked up some French Onion -- which is something I occasionally see as a recipe ingredient and don't have when I need it.

Found a few more pouches of heat-and-eat quinoa for 50 cents each. Handy to have on hand and I went into sticker shock when I saw them at one of our grocery stores for at least four dollars each "on sale" a few weeks ago.

After that we headed to a thrift store where we picked up a nice Coleman cooler for a little over six dollars after a senior discount. They had a couple brand new folding cooler bags (for groceries) which were half off at $1.50 and $2.00.

Then DH mentioned his winter coat is looking bad so we found a nearly new one which was also half off -- $12.50 total.

Cathy, jcdamomma, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  9. Gardencook

The grocery store offered 25 percent off all citrus fruit with a coupon good today only -- so I knew from early this morning we would be going there today.

I did some quick calculations and the price on eight 5-pound bags of grapefruit was only about $2.00 more after discount than the case we'd originally planned to purchase out of town today.

Of course, we really didn't need eight five-pound bags, but that was what came in the case we'd planned to buy. Since we'd just purchased two bags for 10 percent off on Tuesday, we only bought three more bags today. Still some pretty considerable savings!

We also picked up a two-pound bag of lemons for a little more than $2.00 and a five-pound box of mandarins -- which were a little more than $3.50 after discount. Would have liked to buy more of those, but we just bought two three-pound bags at another store a couple days ago.

We've got a best customer coupon loaded that gives us an extra 100 bonus fuel points (10 cents off per gallon on a fill-up) for five successive purchases that total at least $20. This was our second qualifying purchase since I loaded that coupon, so we also got another 10 cent per gallon fuel reward -- closer to 13 cents after purchase points. :)

DH plugged in the phones last night and realized the charger had quit working. He was able to bring in the one from the car to charge the phones for today, but we still needed a new one for the house.

That meant we ended up going to the discount store two days in a row -- something we almost never do -- but chargers are a LOT cheaper there when they have them in stock.

DH picked up a couple dual electrical/car chargers for $2.99 each so we'd have a spare.

I figured I might as well look at groceries while he was finding the chargers even though we'd just been there yesterday. I found six one-pound bags of Mayocoba beans for 50 cents each and snapped them up.

The store is also giving away free bottles of sweet pickle relish so we picked up one of those yesterday and another today.

Jorainna, jastwins and Cathy like this.
  10. KmmCo

It has been a busy weekend again. I signed up to work OT yesterday for some much needed comp time,so that took up most of my day. I did get a lot done on Thursday though. That included a big shopping trip for 4/$10 sodas and a few groceries.

We found markdown queso, salsa, and hamburger and made some nachos for lunch. Diner on Thursday was some salmon with garlicy mashed potatoes, green beans, and some deli cole slaw. All of this was stuff that I had in the house.

Last night I filled up on chips and salsa after work. DH took some of the leftover salmon and did a pasta dish with some jarred alfredo sauce for himself.

Yesterday DH did some serious kitchen cleaning while I was gone - a much appreciated move!

Today I am going to get out this afternoon in the nice 60 degree weather and work on some more van organizing and cleaning. I might go to IKEA too just for fun...

11. KmmCo

On the money side of things: NO government shutdown and a 3.1% raise to boot. :D I am way under budget again this month as I was not spending in anticipation of a shutdown.

I cashed out $300 in cash back from my chase points to put toward my timeshare fees this year. I figured that I am not using them for anything else right now anyway.....

I got a $350 bonus from work that I put toward my savings for an apartment deposit in the spring. I pulled out $45o in gains in my individual stock account yesterday that I will withdraw for the same savings purpose. The cost basis money will get reinvested eventually as I am transferring it to my IRA right before the end of the year. I am still $1000 short of the 2019 max after that, but will put that in before paying taxes in a couple of months.

12. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

KmmCo, at least you should be glad your illness was over before the holidays, right? I hope all is well. I wanted to ask you, do you sell a lot of things on Facebook Market? I've never tried it but I do sell quite a bit on Ebay and wondered how they compare, if you know? TIA.

KmmCo likes this.
  13. KmmCo

I only sold a few items. It only takes a second to list stuff. It is kind of a pain to figure out when/where to meet up with people.... It works though for items that are harder to ship. I have not done any ebay for a while though and don't know how much trouble the post office is to get to anymore either. There used to be pretty long lines at the one near my house.

14. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

I had to clean out portion of freezer to make room for Omaha Steaks shipment from MIL for Christmas. I found a bag of chicken pot pie in the freezer from October when I made a double batch so we are having chicken pot pie for dinner. My goal on Christmas day and on 26th is to clean out freezer completely and organize it so I don't find meat from 2016! My goal for 2020 is to reduce waste!

flowerkitty, Jorainna, KmmCo and 4 others like this.
  15. KmmCo

Found a couple of shelf units at Ikea that are now in my van. They were 9 inch wide plastic bathroom shelves and they fit perfectly between the bed and back door. On sale for $9.99 each too. I moved the curb find shoe rack that I had there and will use it for actual shoes. I stuffed a bunch more odds and ends under the van bed and got them out of the house for good.

It has been a productive day: laundry done, dishes done, trash and recycle out..... I even scheduled a few bill payments between now and the end of the month.

*I heated up the remainder of some deli fried chicken for lunch that needed used up anyway. I am just doing soup for dinner because I have no idea if DH will get home early or not today. I can just leave it warming on the stove for a while.

A friend from work wants to go look at antique stores and have lunch out on either Friday or Saturday. She is working today, so I won't hear from here till late tonight or tomorrow. She needs pick one or else I am making other plans....:rolleyes:

I think I will either go for a walk or take nap this afternoon. If I don't get up out of this chair soon, then a nap is going to win for sure.

bugweena, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  16. KmmCo

DH got to leave work 1.5 hours early and he made french toast for dinner. The soup never got started....

Today we hit clearance sales and bought a bunch of cookies, candy, etc to put in our sack lunches. Most of what we bought was at Walmart. We stopped in Micheals and got some popcorn tins for $3 each. I did buy a few half price Christmas lights for my use next year. Two packages of cookies and a package of dipped pretzels are already opened for snacking today. We got a ton of rice krispy treats that will last us a while. Captain Crunch christmas cereal was $1 a box. I only got a couple of boxes of that though, but maybe I should have gotten more.....

In Target we got some markdown Laura's hamburger for dinner tonight. I also found a package of 4 chicken drumsticks for $1.01 and I will cook them for work on Sunday. DH found some large ziplock and glad containers for $1.74 a package - handy for taking stuff to work potlucks or just using for storage.

I had to buy a few things that I needed anyway: more bungee cords and a snow brush for the van, pin backs for my work nameplate, and bread. We spent around $150 today and another $30 eating lunch out at Chilis - ouch! Not a frugal day at all, but at least we are loaded up for snacks for a long while.

17. KmmCo

Did the antique store thing with my friend yesterday. All I bought was lunch for both of us ($32 after tip). We both came home with leftovers for later.......

*Today, I made a Bear Creek chicken tortilla soup mix ($3.75) for lunch with a little leftover chicken thrown in. I am putting the leftovers into serving size containers for DS and I this week. I also cooked the package of drumsticks - there were actually 5 in there so .20 cents each! I can only eat 2 for a meal at work so that will make one sack lunch for me and 3 extra pieces for DS to eat.... I still have some potato salad for the side for that meal.
    * I made a package of muffins for my work breakfasts. Holiday spice - on sale at walmart for $1.12 the other day. I packaged 4 days of breakfast, ate some this morning, and still have a couple left for DS. About .19 a serving. I only bought 3 of the packages, but at least that gives me a couple more weeks of breakfasts sometime in January.

Today has just been an indoor chore day for me so far... Also just waiting for payday on Monday so that I can transfer more to savings. :D

18. Gardencook

We drove to a city an hour away today to shop. We still have a couple fuel rewards left that will expire tomorrow and we hated to waste them, although one still won't get used. We just haven't needed to go anywhere and and the weather turned sour the one time we considered it earlier in the month.

I REALLY was not in the mood to drive up there when we left. Kept trying to figure out if all the gas was justified -- even if we were getting it for an extra $1.00 off per gallon.

It snowed a little overnight and they tend to get more snow north of us so that was another concern, but the local weatherman didn't seem too concerned. Tomorrow is supposed to be another matter. That is when the big storm will hit. Right now it is WAY too cold to snow.

The trip turned out to be well worth the effort and money. We saved a LOT more than we spent on gasoline and the freeway was clear of snow all the way.

The biggest finds were a BOATLOAD of fresh produce. Haven't seen so many markdowns in ages -- and the stores elsewhere always seem to have much better markdown prices than ours. We're now well stocked on salads, carrots, apples, grapefruit, zucchini, collard greens, cabbage, sweet potatoes and yams to last us a while. Even picked up some prepared kale and sweet potato bowls that looked interesting.

We also got some pretty amazing bakery markdowns, not that we really needed them. Don't know when I've ever seen two dozen doughnuts crammed in a box for $1.99 and packs of a dozen bakery cookies for 76 cents were tough to pass, as well. Then there were bags of Cheesecake Factory gourmet rolls for 86 cents and pumpkin pies for one dollar, not to mention six-packs of huge muffins for $1.61.

And how could I pass on a pound of potato salad for 59 cents in the deli? Not to mention the organic cornmeal which was on clearance for less than we normally pay for non-organic.

Also picked up some good markdowns on yogurt and organic whipping cream. However, I wasn't sure if DH would get punched out over those deals. I was bent over digging into a low discount bin when I looked back and saw an additional pair of feet standing VERY close to DH's.

Knew immediately what was going on. There was obviously a vulture trying to intimidate DH into moving so I could be shoved out of the way. These people who are terrified you might get a bargain are unbelievable!

I never saw the woman's face, but just kept at my task of digging out the stevia-sweetened and really cheap oat milk yogurt among the huge pile of other yogurts that were there.

I mentioned it to DH on the way to the car and he said the woman was REALLY persistent and kept moving closer and closer to force him to move, but he ignored her and stood his ground. We left plenty of other yogurt containers if she wanted it THAT bad!

I'd just seen a woman who got an even better deal on yogurt at the previous store, but the early bird gets the worm. Some days you get the bargain and other days someone else beats you to it. That's life. I didn't get angry at that woman about her bonanza.

Found a nice five-pound bag of California brown rice for a decent price as well as cans of roasted red pepper soup for 50 cents each at the discount grocery store. We just paid $1 a can for a couple cans on sale last week and thought that was a good deal, because we had coupons which took off a few more cents.

Big Lots had some Harvest Snaps on markdown for cheaper than we can get them on mega sale and DH always enjoys those.

Found some nice 93 percent lean ground beef on markdown for 50 percent off. The shelf price was $5.99 before discount and I didn't think $3.00 was too bad.

We needed another $14 to get to a reward level at that store chain, so I picked up five packages figuring that would do the trick. However, at the register the clerk said, "Let me see if I can save you some more money." He scanned a store coupon for a sale price on ground beef and it worked -- bringing the ground beef down to $1.74 a pound after 50 percent discount!

I couldn't have been more grateful. Clerks never would have done that at the same chain in this town.

Of course, then I had to stop at another store since the reduced price on beef left us $6 from the next reward. That store also had some good discounts, so we managed to find enough without a problem.

19. KmmCo

I started a 2020 thread for Daily Frugal Challenge. https://www.hotcouponworld.com/community/threads/2020-daily-frugal-challenge.578910/

*Finished up the last few days of 2019 with a couple of good no spend days. I ate my leftover soup for work lunches for 3 days.

* Worked OT Sunday and Monday for comp time. I am using the hours I worked earlier on this Sunday, for a 4 day weekend. I will still have 5 hours left to use later. (no more OT is going to be available until spring break now as we are actually finally fully staffed for the time being...)

Had a lot of $$ left from my paycheck on Monday, so I bought a few stock up and needed items today. At Costco, I got TP and Kleenex and a couple dozen eggs. I stopped at harbor freight for a jack for my van - used a 20% coupon and got another little free light as well that I will throw in the box with some other ones I already have. My score of the day: at walmart I found a couple boxes of cliff bars for $2.50 in a flavor that I liked. These are normally $10 boxes and they were not expired. One box was a little dented but still sealed and the other one was in perfect condition. DH and I had only stopped in to get some bathroom cleaner that we needed this weekend. I was lucky that I just happened to walk by the clearance food section.

I think I will be able to put another $300 or so into savings this week. Even though I had really hoped to do more, I want to make sure that I get stuff stocked up before we get another round of bad weather....

Jorainna, jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  20. KmmCo

By the way, I was looking back at the beginning of the thread and realized how we were dealing with the gov't shutdown this time last year. I am so grateful that we are getting paid this year... I still don't think that my pantry is stocked anywhere near where it was at the end of 2018.

I feel like I am still playing catch up on a few other things as well, including funding my IRA. I will be doing that after I get my January & Feb rents in.

I did get the full $8000 into my HSA for 2019, but I have also withdraw about $1000 for some bill payments for DS and myself. I still gained about $500 in the account from investing, so I am okay with that. I have to pay another $110 to my dentist in mid-January at my next appointment, so that will come out of the account too. I will have my next contribution and the employer contribution added in by then. I just got a $29 dividend credited this week too.

Jorainna, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
Moderators: KimShaw