Frugal Living - Challenge 2019 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 5, 2019.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Getting packed for vacation - leaving early tomorrow morning for Florida beach time...

The only shopping I am doing today is to pick up milk and eggs for my son next week. I am going to stock up at Aldi in Florida and bring stuff home in an extra suitcase that I am taking with us. (My 21" roller bag fits inside of the bigger bag so I will only check one bag on the way down, and then have 2 check-in bags for the return.) Gotta love Southwest for the free bags!

I did remember to put one of our good non-stick frying pans in the suitcase. The condo never has a decent one around.

The only thing I have left to do is run the dishwasher today and do some "leftover magic" for lunch and dinner. I can get in some rest time the remainder of the day....

2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

The bank account is slim and I made sure to submit my extra duty time sheets for the last couple of weeks. Last night I notarized paperwork for parents who needed it for an upcoming school trip and put in my timesheet for that today. Time is money! There are lots of bills to pay with my next paycheck at the end of the month.
    I used the fax machine in the nurse's office to submit Aflac paperwork for myself (recent dental visit) and D1 (emergency room visit). I know my claim will get paid but the one for D1 may not. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

I have been trying not to spend money and eating what I have at home. Just thankful for my Amazon credits and that I was able to order snacks and other foods to have in my pantry. Decided not to buy bread anymore since I do not need the carbs, it would go moldy and go to the deer and birds. Also buying creamer if it is on sale and a quart of milk since a larger size would go sour before it was used. With the girls being in college, I do not need to buy a larger container of milk since I only use it in my tea.

I listed some items for d2 on ebay so she can earn some extra money. Just hope they sell!

3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

UGH, what a day!

Got a call this morning claiming there had been suspicious activity on our credit card. However, it was a recorded message from a company we'd never heard of and we were wary of calling an unknown toll-free number to give personal information to strangers.

So, we had to call the credit union to find out if the call was legitimate. Turned out it was and thankfully the credit union's monitoring company caught it so it didn't go through, but we had to drop by the credit union to get new cards after our old ones were deactivated.

The city had a security breach and anyone who used a credit card to auto-pay utility bills is getting hacked. We don't auto-pay our utility bills, but I kind of suspect somewhere in the forgotten past the city must have gotten a credit card number for something.

Perhaps we got hacked another way, but it sounds like the teller who printed our new cards got the very same recorded message this morning and she does use auto-pay, so the timing seems too coincidental.

Thankfully they caught us before we headed to another credit union where we stopped to get a new credit card the other day. One of our grocery stores quit accepting one brand of credit card a few months back and we've been meaning to get one they do accept since we can no longer fuel our car there.

We had no trouble getting authorized for the new card, but did we have to get hacked the EXACT same day we had to sign papers on the other?

4. KmmCo

Made it too Florida! We stayed at a hotel near the airport last night (free with points) since we can not check into timeshare until today. The only thing we did last night was dinner and a little shopping. We had our hotel breakfast already this morning and am now just relaxing a bit....

We went to Best Buy because my phone charger plug was bad. I didn't have time to do that before we left and was just using my son's charger the last few days...

Walmart was our next stop for sodas, bottled water, and a few snacks. I had bought a couple of sodas at the hotel for $2.75 each as soon as we got here - uuugh! Decided that since Walmart was next to best buy that I should run in there. The whole 12 pack was only $3.33. Because I was hungry, I grabbed cookies and chips. We went out for burgers ($16) and I ended up not opening the snacks at all last night. At least I have them for later....

Today we are going to a flea market for a while until condo check-in time. It is nice outdoors today - not too hot or muggy. I think we can probably find lunch right there. If not, then some fast food will work again.

I will grocery shop at Aldi too on the way to the condo and get something for dinner tonight along with breakfast/lunch stuff for a few days....

5. KmmCo

Went to a big flea market on Saturday then stopped at the grocery for a few items. We got to the condo and found out there was a free concert next door with Billy Ray Cyrus that night. Fun times even though I am not a huge fan....

Anyway, on Sunday we just relaxed a bunch. We ate lunch at Bob Evans and went back to the store (Aldi) for more groceries. I managed to once again get us lost in St. Petersburg - think I would have learned from last year - but we eventually made it back to the condo. Spent the rest of the day at the pool and the beach.

Today we took a picnic lunch and ate at a park right across from a marina, then went window shopping at some tourist shops. Going on a Sunset cruise tonight ($25 each) then I will cook dinner later after we get back.... Not sure what our plans are for tomorrow! Relaxing by the sea is a good thing though .....

Cathy, Jorainna, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  6. Gardencook

Went to a couple stores and hit the jackpot on produce markdowns today.

We picked up apples, mandarins, lemons, pears, bananas, jalapeños, heirloom yellow beets, salad blend, zucchini, cucumbers and both organic and heirloom baby carrots. That should keep us going for awhile.

Already had fresh juice, mandarins and an apple since we arrived home along -- with markdown coleslaw to go with our fish (with fresh lemon) for dinner tonight.

Cathy, Jorainna, jcdamomma and 4 others like this.
  7. Gardencook

Wanted to try some new beer battered fish fillets this week since they were on sale B1G1. They retail for $7.99 and I had a $1.25 introductory coupon.

Ran into problems when the register tried to charge us for both and didn't give us the one free. Thankfully, the clerk was good about it and took the second one off our bill.

I cringed a bit when I noticed that an additional 75 cent coupon I had loaded also came off and then the register reversed it and took the coupon away when she took the free one off. The store doesn't let you use two coupons on a B1G1 deal, but I'd really hoped to keep the 75 cent coupon for future use and didn't want to lose it.

It was disappointing when I checked at home and saw the 75 cent coupon had indeed vanished off the card. It wasn't until later that I noticed on the receipt the register had decided to give us both the $1.25 coupon and the 75 cent coupon on the two items -- so we actually saved $2 total on both.

The boxes were really quite small, so the price wasn't bad when we were only paying $5.99 for two boxes. However, even though the fish fillets were good, I don't think we'd buy them at $7.99 for a single box.

Today the B1G1 sign was still there, but they were out of fillets, so I picked up a rain check at the register. If some additional coupons come my way, that will give us the chance to buy at the reduced price.

8. KmmCo

Tuesday we mostly just hung around and relaxed at the condo. I even took an afternoon nap and watched some TV in the evening....

Today we went to Tarpon Springs. The tourist info lady pointed us in the direction of some free parking a couple of blocks away, so we save the parking fees near the dock area ($2 to $5 for the pay lots). We at lunch out at one of the Greek restaurants, but didn't really have Greek food. DH had a fish sandwich with fries and I had fried chicken tenders sandwich. Mine was wrapped in a pita with some of the yogurt based sauce (tatziki ? not sure of the spelling?). We looked at the shops there and I bought some olive oil soap and a $1 sweatshirt for my son. Yep $1 on clearance. What a deal!

After getting back this afternoon, I waded in the ocean for a while then went to the hot tub for a few minutes....

~Eating leftover taco stuff tonight for dinner from a meal earlier in the week. I plan to eat the leftovers we have tomorrow and Friday too. I shouldn't need any more groceries this week to eat. I might go back to Aldi Friday to buy some snack stuff to take home or I might just not worry about it.

I am glad that I nested the second suitcase, because of the clothes that I bought. The sweatshirt is bulky and I got myself 2 shirts here in St Petes (on clearance for $6 and $8). I need some new clothes anyway as a lot of mine are starting to show some wear.

Cathy, Sherri1480, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  9. Gardencook

We managed to cram in another day trip today -- right before the end of the month. We have a one dollar fuel reward and a 40 cent fuel reward expiring at the end of this month, but haven't had time to travel.

We'll refill our tank with the one dollar reward tomorrow, but still need to figure out at least one more day trip to use the 40 cent reward.

There is literally almost NO place to eat at the City of Rocks/Castle Rocks area. Some of the old homesteads still lie in ruins, but aside from a few hardy farmers/ranchers there aren't all that many people to support many businesses.

We did stop at a convenience store on the way to Castle Rocks and picked up a turkey sandwich to split between us. Then we stopped at a "General Store" which was housed in an old original building where we got some delicious huckleberry ice cream cones, otherwise we didn't spend anything on food.

Admission to Castle Rocks was covered with our state parks pass and we had DH's National Parks Pass ready for City of Rocks, but didn't need it -- so no admission fees.

Cathy, Sherri1480, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  10. Gardencook

Had a nice surprise today when I got e-mail notification the Kellogg's receipt I submitted had credited. I vaguely remember getting an e-mail recently and cringing to see that there was a special promo on "snack" items.

I had just submitted a receipt for Pringles and wished I'd delayed a couple more days -- but you never know those things in advance. I got the usual points for those -- nothing out of the ordinary.

The Mega cans of Pringles were 97 cents on mega sale and I had printed some $1/4 coupons off Coupons.com last month which hadn't yet expired.

Then I promptly forgot that I'd even read about a promotion. :p

Last Friday I used the last two coupons which were going to expire if I didn't use them. Today I got notification that I'd gotten 2,900 points! Not bad for chips that only cost 73 cents a can a/c.

11. jastwins

It is October and I am still struggling to catch up on bills and more keep coming!! This month and the last day of September, there are 4 days for which I do not get paid. Luckily, the bank has let me work for 3 of those days and I am grateful. It seems the bank has a new program for the ATM's that is leading to overtime, something they rarely do. However, no staff can leave until the vault is proved so we get paid to sit around until all the work has been processed. Time is money and I have stayed until after 5:30 pm both days.

This Saturday, I am proctoring an SAT exam and will be paid by the test administrator and the school. Currently, I am scheduled to work with an extended time student and I just hope they do not change their mind about the exam. At least the extra work will help fill in the pay I will be missing from the school.
    I still need to book ferries for D2's parent's weekend and will not be getting any cheap fares. However, it is the fastest way and there are no tolls, so I will just pay it and hope for good weather. Last year, a Nor'easter cancelled the ferries and our plans to visit her school in Massachusetts. I used a link provided by D2's school to book rooms for my sister, parents, me and Crankie and saved $100 on each room by choosing the location 6 miles from her school instead of 1 mile from her school.
    I did some shopping yesterday at Kmart and CVS. Some ok deals, but I spent more than I planned. Still need to stock up on laundry detergent and I need to get more liquid detergents since i have 4 bags of pods. I have added to the hair care stockpile and the toothpaste and toothbrush stash. Found clearance tampons at CVS and paid OOP $4.59 for 5 boxes of 34 count tampax tampons. That should be enough for awhile.
    From SB, I will use a $25 gc to buy some gifts for my nieces. Next week, I will use ecr from CVS and a gc from Coke rewards and maybe FETCH to plan a shopping trip when I work at the bank next Wednesday since my school will be closed for Yom Kippur.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    jcdamomma, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  12. Gardencook

The grocery store sent a bunch of bonus fuel points offers if we bought gift cards. We bought six of the restaurant cards offered. They had a 4x points offer on home improvement cards and a bonus offer on Home Depot as well.

Then the sister store had a four times fuel points offer going, so we picked up two restaurant gift cards the other store doesn't sell.

It is only the second day of the month and we've already earned two one dollar fuel rewards that won't expire until the end of November. Absolutely LOVE all the fuel points offers we've been getting the past few months! :)

Sherri1480, Cathy, KmmCo and 3 others like this.
  13. KmmCo

Busy day today - catching up on odds and ends around the house! We only left the house long enough for DH to get some cash from the bank. I had to grab a few basic groceries one night after work, so I didn't go to the store today. I will go tomorrow to pick up some things.

Lunch was just grilled cheese sandwiches. For dinner, I thawed hamburger for some hamburger helper type stuff. Tomorrow we are having pork chops since I pulled those out of the freezer too.

They are trying to talk me out of retiring by offering me a transfer to where I want to go next summer. The problem is it would be a 1 year commitment and I would have to rent an apartment. I would get a small raise, but not enough to cover the entire rent. The only advantage is a 5% increase in my pension for staying another year, but 5% of very little is still very little. I have to decide by the end of the year what I want to do.:confused: I thought I had it figured out until this kink was thrown at me.....

14. KmmCo

By the way, the last couple of days at the beach were nice. We went to Dali art museum after I found a groupon special. (saved $6 over regular price) The last full day, we headed to a natural history museum across the bay. At the door a really nice lady offered to take us in on her family pass, so we paid nothing (saving $34). I did donate $5 to the museum for a manatee rehab program that they do - kind of felt guilty about the free admission because it was a pretty nice museum. We couldn't turn down the random act of kindness though....

I ended up boiling a half dozen eggs to bring home from vacation. I ate one on salad this week, but the rest are still in the fridge. I think my son didn't see them, so I might have to make egg salad for lunch tomorrow....

15. KmmCo

~made bacon sandwiches for lunch yesterday from a package in the freezer.
    ~thawed out a bbq pork roast last night. I threw it into the crockpot this morning for tonight's dinner. Making pulled pork sandwiches with Bush baked beans as the side.

Frugal fail was lunch out today (Chilis, $30 with tip). On the plus side, we got free chips/salsa and I ended up bringing half my entree home for a sack lunch this week. I have been trying not to eat out as we have another vacation coming up soon....

I did stop into Target and Costco after lunch since they are both close to the restaurant. I spend $40 between the two of them, but am done grocery shopping for this week.

On the weird side, it snowed 5 inches yesterday after being in the 80's earlier in the week. Today it is warming up and it will be melted by the time I have to go back to work on Sunday. Had to turn the furnace on early this winter! Good news for me though is that ski season starts tomorrow instead of next month, so maybe I will get a few extra rentals for November.:D

Sherri1480, Cathy, Jorainna and 3 others like this.
  16. jastwins

Well, even a continent away, D2 can still annoy me. She made it to Paris and met up with another classmate whose flight was changed and delayed. The classmate was supposed to arrive in France before d2 and arrived 2 hours after d2 got there. Both girls took public transportation to their AirBnb and met up with another girl who is studying abroad in Strasbourg, France.
    First, D2 complained she did not want to go on the trip and I blame this on nerves. Had she not gone, she would have lost $400. Well, maybe only $100 since my mother, my sister and I each gave $100 towards the flight. I asked if she did not go, would we get a refund and was met with silence. LOL
    D2 had more than 1 opportunity to exchange her cash for Euro's and did not do it so she lost money by exchanging in France. When D2 went on her interview in NYC, she could have done it there, but NOOOOO, she did not. She could have exchanged funds in Boston, but NOOO, she did not. After doing my bills and seeing what I have left, I transferred another $50 to her account so this just about makes up the difference in the exchange rate and I told her to let it go.
    She sent us a pic of her in front of the Louvre museum and won't go in since it is too expensive. Her loss.
    My last paycheck did not include some time sheets for extra time I worked for the SAT and I hope it gets added to my next check. Hopefully, by the end of the month I will get my pay from the testing company as well. At the end of the month we are visiting D2 at her college since we never went last year due to poor weather conditions cancelling our ferries. My sister and parents will join us and we look forward to having a nice weekend and will stay over at a Holiday Express Inn about 6 miles from D2's college. Choosing that location saved us $100 on each room than if we decided to stay one mile from her college. I found the reduced rates on a link from d2's college parent weekend website.
    Since I have to watch every penny, I am staying home and not going shopping. My next off island trip is to a seminar this Wednesday and I am visiting d3 after my class and doing some shopping at WAlmart near her school. I downloaded a gc from paidviewpoint to help with that shopping. I will also stop at CVS and use ecr they credited me due to a not so great shopping experience at one store. They sent me $10 ecr and a coupon for $4 off $20. I definitely need to get water since I forgot to buy it last week!

17. KmmCo

Nothing new here really.... just work and chores. Getting ready for vacation next week too.

~gassed up my van with a .60 off a gallon today.
    ~took advantage of a $10 off offer on my cell phone bill this month. Every little bit helps.
    ~lunch and dinner were based on stuff from the freezer today. Frozen enchiladas and salad for lunch. Shepherd's pie for dinner.

I did have to get $12 worth of stuff at walmart this morning to backfill the pantry. My son used the last of a few items.

We stopped by the cop shop today and got a free club for the van. Not sure how much I will use it, but the price was right. After that we went to the thrift store. DH found a few items, but all I got today was one pillow sham for my pillow in the van. There were a lot of cute Halloween things there, but I resisted any urge to buy since I won't be home anyway.

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  18. KmmCo

Had assorted leftovers for lunch and dinner yesterday...

Today we went in Kroger and found a few items. I got a package of 2 hamburger patties w/bacon&cheddar that DH and I had for lunch (Marked down to $3.88. Not a huge bargain but better than going out for burgers.) I also grabbed a small package of steak for $3.15 that I will pan-fry for dinner. I have some leftover mashed potatoes from the Shepherds Pie the other night. I think I will make some gravy and open a can of green beans. I am calling that dinner tonight...

I am making a batch of blueberry muffins (Krusteaz) for my work breakfasts. Not a bad deal since the package costs about $2 -$2.50 and makes enough for the whole week.

Anyway, talked to the HR person at the possible future workplace and learned that during the summer they mando full-timers to work 5/ 10 hour shifts and then they schedule 4/10's in the winter. I guess those 20 hours of OT a pay period will more than cover my rent bill and allow me to still max out my 401(k) so I think I will go for the transfer in the spring. Sorry to leave DH and son for a whole year, but they can always come visit and I will still get my 4+ weeks of vacation to come back here!

19. KmmCo

The last two crazy days at work make me glad that I am now on vacation..... We are not leaving until tomorrow though and that is good timing as we had a snow storm last night. It was coming down heavy by the time I got home from work. It is incredibly gonna be back up into the upper 60's by Saturday though.

Last night I still got trash out, work clothes into the washing machine, and DH's car gassed up. I am washing my misc other clothes now so that I can get packed this morning. Just hanging at the house today - not even grocery shopping since we are leaving. I do need to put gas in the SUV that we are driving on vacation. I will wait till later when the snowplows are done with the streets and the sun warms things up a bit....

20. jastwins

We had a really nice time at D2's college weekend and I stayed within my budget despite D2 needing one thing or another. Dinner out was our biggest expense and Crankie and I paid for everyone's meal (7 adults inc us). The bill with 20% tax was $345 and we ate at a well known seafood restaurant about 10 mins from her school. This included drinks, appetizers and meals. We were too stuffed to have dessert.
    This afternoon, I am calling the insurance company in regards to covering D2's prescription. They doctor's office did not call in a 3 month prescription (only 2 months)so Walgreens could not fill it as written, and I had to pay OOP for a medication that should have been free. The insu rance company is forcing us to use Walgreen's (not a fan) and it is 5 miles from d2's campus (if she cannot get a ride, she has to take an UBER) . I do not trust mail order (another option) since D2 will not be at school next semester. If it comes to my house, then I have to mail it for her.
    I just paid off lab bills that cost over $150 for me, D1 and D2. This afternoon I will pay the rest of my bills and hope to have some funds left over for me!

Moderators: KimShaw