Frugal Living - Challenge 2019 Daily Frugal Challenge

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by KmmCo, Jan 5, 2019.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

So glad you like your new camper, @KmmCo. Can I just say that I have never gone camping and do not plan to go. We have stayed overnight on Crankie's boat, (26 ft Rinker with a sleep area and bathroon with a small shower) but that is about as close to camping that I have done. However, camping is very popular on Long Island and many people love to camp at the beach. In fact, many places sell out way in advance so if you snooze you lose. Even in Croatia, there were many places to camp since there are many beaches to visit.

Today I am dropping off d2 to catch a ferry up to New London, Ct and will then drop off Crankie's car and pick up the van. Hope to go to Bob's store and get a deal on some footwear. D3 is in Philly visiting a friend and D1 will be home and enjoying her day off. She is dogsitting and I am helping out with the mornings. Love my neighbors dogs and they are over my house daily. I can tell that one misses her owners terribly and she needs some extra attention.
    Yesterday the library had free glamour shoot for dogs (complete with green screen !?) and D2 brought Rosie who thoroughly enjoyed meeting other dogs. People had fun with Rosie too. Cannot wait to see what these pics look like. Rosie has the best life. LOL

2. jastwins

Rosie’s glamour shots ( and D2)

upload_2019-7-20_19-7-35.jpeg

upload_2019-7-20_19-9-38.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Lori63, NoHio, Cathy and 9 others like this.
  3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Rosie looks like she's "rolling in clover" @jastwins. ;) She's a happy dog.

I was running behind today and hadn't checked Facebook. I try to check a few local places quite regularly, because they'll often post one day sales -- if you snooze, you lose.

It was after 3 p.m. and DH noticed that our new favorite discount grocery store was having a 50 percent off grocery sale "tomorrow." I specifically asked him if "tomorrow" meant Thursday, or if they had posted it yesterday and it actually meant "today." (Facebook is often late in showing us some posts we REALLY need to see. :confused:)

He was convinced it meant Thursday, so I didn't worry too much about it.

A while later I finally got on Facebook and noticed the store had posted 23 hours earlier -- i.e. "tomorrow" actually meant "today." The store closes at 6 p.m. :eek:

We did make a run over there and got some great deals.

You have to keep in mind this is a discount store so what they stock is odds and ends. You can't fill a regular shopping list there, but you can occasionally get some amazing deals if you're willing to cook around what you get cheap.

Some of the highlights included:
    Campbell's tomato soup and water chestnuts -- 20 cents a can
    16 oz. bottles of "house brand" cider vinegar -- 25 cents each
    Organic instant mashed potatoes -- 45 cents a box
    Refried beans, pasta sauce, sweet chili sauce, a squeeze jar of pizza sauce and one-pound bags of small red dried beans -- 50 cents each
    Assorted brownie mixes and a box of lemon bar mix -- 45 to 76 cents each
    A small bottle of organic ketchup -- the right size for travel -- 85 cents
    Dried cherries, cranberry mustard, pomegranate molasses, Lundberg Wehani rice and whole grain chocolate chip cookie mixes -- $1 to $1.12
    McCafe Coffee $1.75 a bag
    Gevalia Coffee $2.10 a bag
    And of course, how could we pass on a couple pints of organic mint chocolate chip ice cream for 62 cents each? Just wish we had more room in the freezer!

We also passed on some fabulous deals -- items I would have loved to buy had we not been overstocked. Things we passed on were enough to make you cry:

Large bottles of ketchup - 40 cents each
    Mini cans of pepsi -- 87 cents a case, One-liter bottles were 25 cents each
    Tomatoes and chicken broth 20 to 25 cents a can
    Assorted BBQ sauce and mustard -- 50 cents
    Italian tuna -- 45 cents a can
    Large 26 oz. cans of Westbrae organic pinto beans -- 75 cents
    Kashi Cookies and Silver Palate Oatmeal -- $1 a box

Even though we passed on those items, we managed to fill a small cart -- drug-store size -- to the brim. The clerk tried to talk us into a second cart, but I was limiting myself!

Every customer got a free squeeze jar of sweet pickle relish. She gave us two bottles since there were two of us.

We filled two large banana crates -- $55 total. Can only cringe to think of what retail would have been. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  4. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Got busy yesterday and didn't get over here. Actually it was a sad thing - had a funeral to go to. A guy that just retired this spring passed away - 65 years old. The take away that we all have is that you gotta enjoy life because you never know when it will suddenly be over .... :( First funeral that I have gone too where they asked everyone to wear Denver Bronco's attire, but he was apparently a huge fan...

I did get some chores done before going to the funeral. DH and I got out to hardware store for a few little things and to Walmart last night. Found a few markdowns, including some hamburger. We had hamburger helper last night and sloppy joes today.

I also got over to Kroger this afternoon for a few items. Hostess cakes $1.49 with digital coupon! I may have to go get more tomorrow.... I really didn't need much this week though as DS went and got bread, milk, eggs, and cheese while I was at work this last week....

Tomorrow is the free summer festival/block party at the local park. If the weather cooperates there are fireworks too. It has been raining every afternoon though and I am not sure how tomorrow will be.... At least the rain cools us off a bit.

Nothing much else going on around here - just chilling during the hot part of the day and trying to get stuff done in early am and pm.

5. KmmCo

Went to a couple of garage sales today, but didn't find much..... I picked up a nice t-shirt for .50 that had a southwestern design on it though.

I cleaned up some clothes that just got tossed on the table in the laundry room and straightened out my closet a bit. I ended up picking out some of the more worn out items to put in the campervan so that I am ready for my next trip.

DH is cooking chicken and rice for dinner. I pulled out some frozen veggies for the side dish. Hopefully there will be a little left for work lunches. My plan B is salad and PBJ sandwiches.... We went to Panera for lunch with a gift card, so no leftovers from lunch.

I forgot to add that I took aluminum cans to recycle yesterday afternoon. I got $6.75 from them. Since I don't have the mortgage to apply "extra" money on, I am just leaving it in a jar on the desk. I may use it for vacation later this year.

*I cancelled my tentative car rental for Sept vacation and rebooked at hotwire (pay now/we pick the company) for $85 less. I got Thrifty and signed up for their loyalty program just so husband can drive without the additional drivers fee. It gave the option of adding my SW airlines loyalty card, but I don't know if I will get any points from a rental through an online discounter anyway. I checked on my airline tickets too since I paid for one leg, but they were $20 higher so no luck on rebooking those. About 2 months out seems to be the right time to doublecheck prices....

I also checked my e-rewards account and saw I had enough to cash out for 600 SW points. I have not done many surveys for a while and was surprised that I was above $25 ....

I walked over to the summer festival for a while, but it is still hot out today. I took a shower and put my PJ's on after getting back. I am not sure I am enthused enough to get dressed and go see the fireworks tonight.

6. jastwins

This week was hectic and D1 ended up in the hospital overnight. An ear cartilage piercing turned bad (3 weeks later) and we visited an urgent care on Tuesday, were given antibiotics and were referred to a Dr that did not take my insurance. The next day the urgent care dr. called and told d1 to go to the emergency room if she did not see the referred dr. On Wednesday, D1 had an appt planned by her school but did not confirm with the place. I try to impress upon her to double check and triple check appointments made for her but she did not. Needless to say, the appt did not happen due to a University employee that messed up (it was for a social work course that lets her work in a hospital) and she visited the ER of the hospital at which she was born. They took one look at her ear, took her right in and within the hour they decided to admit her.
    They made her pay the ER fee of $150 and since they admitted her they really should not have done that. However, hopefully it will be applied to the Hospital copay of $300 that my insurance has. Of course I will pay back D1 her OOP expenses. The hospital stay involved me taking a day off work and that is leading to a smaller paycheck. : ( No sick days for me at the bank. I stayed the night at the hospital with d1 and it was not a great night of sleep. In fact, it was the exact floor I stayed on when I gave birth to the twins 20 years before. Maternity has been moved and it is now a regular floor.
    We tried to figure out what is wrong with the van and determined I have to keep antifreeze and water on hand. There may be a small leak somewhere and I cannot afford another mechanic bill. So, we will check the van daily to make sure all fluids are ok. The van will only be driven around the island.

I am using some giftcards I have on hand to get my sister in law a piece of carry on luggage for her birthday. Hoping my OOP will be minimal.
    On Financial Horizons, I was member of the month for June. Not sure what I get but I hope it is a good gc. It is a nice surprise to check the website and see your name there as a winner. I moved $50 from paypal to my bank account to cover EZ pass expenses for my trip to NJ next week. I used SB points to cash out for that gc.

7. Gardencook

We've been trying to pile up some extra fuel points again as long as we're being offered some great promotions.

After the concert last night we stopped to use some digital coupons that were expiring. Would have had a day or two more on some of them, but we get double fuel points on weekends.

There was a "buy one, get one half off" skin care products sale -- but the selection of items was VERY limited. I was getting low on astringent/toner though and I had some decent coupons.

Had a $3 off one Neutrogena Acne coupon and a $2 off one Clean & Clear. Since the sale allowed "mix and match" I bought one of each. I paid $2.49 a/c for a bottle of Neutrogena astringent and then got a Clean & Clear Toner for 49 cents a/c -- $2.98 total for both.

They also had Cetaphil Lotion sale priced for $9.99. Paid $14.98 for two and then used the $7/2 insert coupon from yesterday's paper for a total of $7.98 OOP.

Not a killer deal, but my arms have been much drier than normal this summer and I need to try something new. The lotions that have worked in the past don't seem to be doing much and I'm getting tired of my clothes looking like I have a REALLY bad case of dandruff because my arms keep "shedding."

Noticed the store also had 102 count Efferdent on sale for $4.49 and used the $2/1 insert coupon from yesterday's paper bringing it down to $2.49.

In case none of you were aware, Polident/Efferdent tablets can be one of your greatest friends! I've always got some in the kitchen cupboard.

I drink iced tea on a daily basis and the pitchers/glasses show it. Denture cleanser tablets leave glassware looking brand new. It works on coffee/berry stains, as well. ;)

We had some fuel promotions offering us 200 fuel points if we bought specific gift cards -- usually cards we haven't bought for a while or have never bought in the past. There were several offers for which we didn't even have stores/restaurants, but did find four offers we knew we could use.

Picked up four gift cards so with our other purchases we were able to add more than one dollar per gallon in fuel rewards to use next month.

We've still got a 50 cent fuel reward that needs to be used by the end of this month, then we'll have another three one dollar rewards to use for day trips next month.

8. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I had a friend drop off tomatoes and summer squash fresh from her garden last night. First real tomatoes I have had this summer. On the renal diet, Hubby can't have tomatoes, but he has squash several times a week. I won't have to buy any squash this week. :)

One of the local radio stations here offers on Fridays, what they call "Sweet Deals". Mainly it is restaurant offers, but you can get gift cards/certificates for 50% off. Usually they only offer about 100 of them and they sell out within the first hour. Hubby is limited to what restaurants he can actually eat at, and two weeks ago they offered one of our favorite restaurants. I was lucky enough to get a set - $50 for $25. They arrived in the mail yesterday as two $25 certificates! :)

Lori63, jcdamomma, Gardencook and 3 others like this.
  9. KmmCo

Woke up with a horrible headache and called in sick today.... I shook the headache at what would have been about 4 hours into my work day. Since I had already called out, I just decided to get some thing done this afternoon. One girl went home yesterday with a bad headache and another one was complaining about not feeling good and having a headache - I wonder if it has something to do with the building construction going on around our work space. The hammering and sawing has not been helping lately for sure. It was extra hot again in there yesterday afternoon, so maybe that was some of the problem too. Nobody wants to drink too much because half the bathrooms are closed and it is a pain to walk so far to the ones that are still available....

I got my passport application filled out and got photos at Costco for $5. I made an appointed at the nearest place for Thursday am to get the rest of the process done in person. There goes $145 out the door, but I had planned to use some extra money this month for that purpose. (It was a 3 paycheck month.) I did my laundry and dishes today that I would have normally done on Thursday morning. That frees up a little time for the appointment. It is only 1/2 hour, but it will take a little time to get there and back home too....

I got into both walmart and target today and picked up a few items - peanut butter, jelly, RV levels for my van (only $2.67), paper bowls to put in van, and a surge protector that I needed ($2.34 clearance price). I still need to get some leveling blocks or ramps but they are around $30 and that will have to wait a month or so. My registration is due on my SUV in August and that is the most expensive vehicle tags that I have ($217).

Just noticed the time - DH should be home in a few! I gotta get to bed soon though as I want to actually get to work tomorrow.

10. jastwins

Well the van had to go to the shop on my island. Since D2 works there I would hope they give me a break. It needs a rear radiator hose and I do not want the girls drive it since it sprays the antifreeze all over the engine and the van smokes. Ugh. Hope no permanent damage has been done. We were pouring antifreeze in it every time we drove it and I was going broke. I will wait to hear what the cost will be. :(
    Tomorrow is payday and I will have to put aside money from a bill I pay to help pay for the van. since the bill is due on the 28th and payday is the first, I decided to just pay it later. The website lets you set up a payment in the future and I will pay it on the 16th of August. I figured since August is a 3 paycheck month for me I would have to figure out a way to stretch my payments for my bills. It does not help that I have the expense of getting the girls back to school this month and the beginning of September. When it rains, it pours.

I will get another SBKC gift card for the month of July. That makes 2 months in a row for me. An email was sent yesterday and I ordered the $20 Visa gc they promised me from June.

11. KmmCo

Did some errand type stuff in the morning including turning in my passport application. I found hamburger marked down at walmart and bought a 2.25 lb package. I used 1/2 for lunch yesterday and will use the other half for lunch today. I also got a new first aid kit to throw in the camping van. I didn't want to take the one out of the SUV - just a little $12 one with some bandaids and assorted items - but useful to have just in case! I also found a couple of small underbed storage crates that just fit perfectly the remaining spots under the bed. Still organizing a bit. I have a spot to put in some stuff like antifreeze, washer fluid, an extra bottle of oil, tools, etc. - I want those with me when I go on some longer trips. Right now we have that all in the garage, but I may need to buy some more fluids before winter anyway.

Feeling kind of poor right now anyway - I decided to max out my HSA by the end of Sept and my check has been pretty small. It will be larger again in Oct, Nov, and December which will help with a couple of bigger bills I have coming at the end of the year. I don't spend much in the summer anyway as all the things I do tend to be free outdoorsy stuff. I have used up most of my accumulated restaurant gift cards though and need to be careful about eating out for August. I may go pick up a $25 one for our favorite burger place today though as there are 4x fuel points going on this weekend.

I paid a $28 medical bill out of my HSA because I had more than that in gains already. I am only trying to preserve my original contributions for my retirement and am not worried about using the interest/stock market gains for some of the smaller bills....

We went and got pizza last night with DS. He wanted to go over to his college and retrieve some art supplies that he left there on his last day of summer classes on Tuesday. He has a couple of weeks off now before starting up for fall semester.....

By the way, the reason that I wanted to get to work so bad on Wedensday was a free catered lunch. It was actually pretty good - brats, grilled chicken, pasta salad, fruit, and lots of good deserts. (I had a rice crispy treat, a brownie, and a little cup of ice cream...:D). I need to burn off some calories now though. I have been trying to get more walks in but yesterday afternoon the rain started when I was just a few blocks away from the house and cut the walk kind of short.

Been watching lots of videos and doing research on the big trip I am taking next spring. Still leaving it a mystery until my final plans come together. It does involve the reason I got the passport application in though - getting bits and pieces started early as I can.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  12. Lori63

Lori63 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Had $25 gift card from a rewards program (MyPoints) and spent .33 on my shopping trip today. Got a good bit but boy it doesn't go as far as it used to!
    I had to drop $100 at middle school orientation for band and PE-and that's with talking them into a discount because he's my foster son. What a racket!
    Got two more dogsitting jobs, and my "real" job starts up again Tuesday (special ed aide). At least FS will get free breakfast/lunch which will help.

Jorainna, jcdamomma, KmmCo and 2 others like this.
  13. Gardencook

Did a bigger than usual shopping trip today. It pays to wait for weekends to get double fuel points and we didn't really need anything earlier in the week.

Can't say there were too many deals that are worth bragging about or that will help others, but some worthwhile prices on items we would have purchased anyway.

Got some bags of markdown apples and peppers that had more per bag than usual. Also found some markdown celery hearts -- something we always need.

Celery has been so ridiculously priced in recent months, but thankfully we've been finding some markdowns the past few weeks. Unfortunately, they didn't offer me a coupon for the bunches we bought several of until AFTER we started getting such good markdowns.

There is still a little over a week left on the coupon, but the hearts we've been getting are still a better deal so I've been buying them. Sure will hurt to see a produce coupon expire if we don't get it used. They come along so infrequently.

Got some cheap granola bars with a Friday/Saturday deal and coupons as well as a free pack of pens.

Found two very large jugs of drain opener and a large jug of window cleaner on markdown. The tops of the jugs had gotten smashed a little on the freight truck so they couldn't really sell them at full price.

Pouring from the jugs will be a little tricky, but they looked like with a little work we can probably pop them back into almost new condition -- and they didn't have any leaks. The best part was that I had coupons for all three.

The drain opener sells for about $8.49 and we paid $3.74 a/c. The window cleaner retails for $5.99 and we paid $2.74 a/c.

We did pile up another 20 cents per gallon in fuel rewards that won't expire until September -- and it is only the second day of the month. That definitely made the trip worthwhile.

Cathy, Jorainna, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  14. Gardencook

DH had an out-of-town meeting today, so that meant I tagged along and shopped. However, when you don't really need anything, it gets kind of boring. lol!

First stop, I picked up a few produce discounts and some markdown whole wheat Greek pitas. Next stop brought a few more markdown produce items.

Third stop, the biggest find was a couple cans of wild caught salmon for $1.19 each and four pouches of Marie Callender's Cornbread mix for $1.29 each. Five cans of organic tomatoes and a jar of yeast were about it at that store. It used to have really good bread, but the bakery got sold and the new owners don't want to mess with selling day-old bread to a discounter. :(

Next, I hit a local produce stand that just opened for the season a couple weeks ago. Got a few end-of-season apricots. They also had some "Saphire Grapes" which we'd never had before. I'm sure they weren't "local," but they were really sweet. Finally picked up a few basics like beets, zucchini and jalapeños.

Those stops were all in the same basic vicinity on the far side of the city.

By then it was time to wind my way back to pick up DH. The meeting was held in a new development which is HUGE. Much of the land is still undeveloped, so you keep running into dead ends where the roads haven't yet been completed.

I got 3/4 of the way to where I dropped off DH and couldn't find my way back to the building. It is one of those developments where ALL the buildings look alike and there are LOTS of roundabouts. :confused:

We'd been told on our original directions that it was "right next door" to Buffalo Wild Wings, however, we certainly didn't see that restaurant this morning when I dropped him off.

I kept wandering around the development, seeing exactly the same landmarks I'd tried to take note of this morning -- so I could find my way back -- but I still couldn't find the building where I had "misplaced" DH. lol!

Along the way I did figure out where MacKenzie River Pizza, Home2 Suites and Stockman's Restaurant were located. We'd been wondering about them. I even found Buffalo Wild Wings! However, it isn't ANYWHERE close to the spot where I left DH.

Did finally get to the building and even sat and waited a few minutes before the meeting let out so all turned out well.

I had a $5/$15 Big Lots reward to use after that, but didn't find anything too exciting there. Settled for V8 Juice and Whole Grain mustard -- we were out of that.

We hit a couple thrift stores and the biggest find was an unopened gallon jug of steam carpet cleaner. It cost us $2.70 after senior discount. That store also had a really nice book on the Presidents marked down to $1.50.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jcdamomma like this.
  15. KmmCo

Not a super exciting week so far for me. I have been fighting a summer cold and just slept in as much as I could yesterday. I did get to the store and got some frozen items and some produce - 3 pizzas, a lasagna, and a bag of chicken viola. We ate the chicken/pasta thing for lunch yesterday. I had one serving left for a work lunch next week. I got my laundry done, but DH had to do a load of dishes since I didn't feel up to that....

I went to my travel club meeting last night, so I ate out. I think I can add the leftovers to some rice and stretch it out into two work lunches... Makes an expensive meal out last a little longer at least....

I spent $3 at dollar tree for little stuff for the van. I found a stubby broom and a dustpan with a little brush that will work for cleaning in there. I also got a cheap plastic over the door rack that I am going to try to hang from the overhead storage cubby - it fit the built in lip okay and I think it will work to hang light stuff like kitchen towels and washcloths or a bathing suit. Since the inside of the van is upholstered, I don't have the enthusiasm right now to try and drill permanent hooks in. I put a command hook on the side door, but it is in kind of an awkward place to use when the door is closed. It will work for either a towel holder or to put a trash bag on when I am parked with the door open though....

16. jastwins

Payday is next week and it cannot come soon enough. I have stretched this last check every which way I can and if I did not have extras from online apps and paypal, I would be in even worse shape. Luckily, I did get a few free items using coupons and extra bucks. Taking a day off each pay period does not help the situation. My next check will have a couple of hours overtime, so I am grateful for the extra money. D1 was in the hospital, so I took a day off for that last month. Yesterday, I took off to take D3 and D1 to dr appts and I would have rather worked but we needed to get these things done. D3 was able to get a free physical at her college. At the registrar's office, I had paperwork filled out for a scholarship application and Crankie's union wanted proof she is still a student and we had that done too. I mailed both envelopes today.
    With the slim checking account, I am cooking whatever is in my freezer, refrigerator and pantry. Maybe the girls are not thrilled but it is what it is.
    On Monday, I will participate in an online discussion for Financial Horizons and will earn $60 for one hour. On Thursday, I hope to participate in an online discussion for a $32.00 payout via swagbucks. The online discussions can sometimes be a disaster with connection problems and I hope this one works out. Any money I get will be used for gift cards to get the girls some food items they need for college. Hard to believe they go back to school within the next 2 or 3 weeks.
    After reading an email of our school board minutes, I am thrilled I have my old job back. Very happy that they did not make me go through the interview process, but disappointed that I was not even considered for a teacher's aide position that would have paid more money. Before the school year ended I did post for extra jobs after school and am glad I was considered for those. Now, i just have to wait for school to begin to see how often I will be able to earn some extra money.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  17. Lori63

Spent $30 at Aldi/Sharp Shopper combined-we are going to live on what we have :) My FS might not be thrilled, but he'll be fed.

18. KmmCo

Worked one hour of OT yesterday. I don't do that often, but am looking at buying an expensive new camera. about 12 - 14 hours of OT would be good to cover that. I will see if I am up to more OT today or not...

19. Lori63

Skipped a pedicure and painted my nails :0 Will need one more this season but at least I postponed it. Dogsitting this weekend.

20. jastwins

@Lori63 I do the same thing. I paint my own nails or I have D1 do it for me. Saves a lot of money. We shop for deals on nail polish at Tj max and cvs. I used gift certificates in June to treat myself to a mani / pedi but never splurge with my own cash.
    My nails are looking great and I attribute to taking vitamins. Also I eat fruit snacks and the gelatin in those is also good for my nails.

Moderators: KimShaw