2019 - Big Changes to the Forums

dkraeer

Mr. Hot
Owner
Administrator
Trader Group
Some of you have started to notice that things are different with the forums. About 3 weeks ago we mentioned that we were moving to a new host and that the forums were massive and for members to grab anything they wanted to keep. The forum database were keeping posts and threads since the beginning of time and they needed pruned. Conversations/Members/Posts/Threads - all were trimmed way down. We had over 300K inactive members so they are now gone. In the world of network servers - space is a monthly expense and we can't pay for 95% of inactive posts and members.

Many of the super large threads were taking up 100s of Megs of space in the database - Most are gone but please feel free to start up new ones. As an example: did we really need to know what people were eating on June 17th, 2008 or where they were on Sep 4, 2010??

Overall the site will be much faster going forward as the server does not need to search through millions and millions of records..

I have no problems growing the site back to millions of posts and 100s of thousands of members as long as it is active.

Thanks
Dave

iwik

I Mod, Will Travel...
Staff member
Coupon DB doesn't work anymore in a FF Private window, just in a regular window.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
As an example: did we really need to know what people were eating on June 17th, 2008 or where they were on Sep 4, 2010??

I don't go back that far on HCW but until the change, I did use it to find out some information about myself -- and did so by searching my username and some keywords that I recall using.

For example, I remember making two posts which contained the word "silver". Both were meaningful memories for me -- in one I talked about being in Switzerland and having a silver necklace, with an old American silver dollar set in it, as a gift for my daughter. In the other, I told how I finally managed to get my daughter interested in history when I bought her a silver comb, brush, and mirror set in an antique shop in Georgia.

I have traveled a lot and find it difficult to separate my trips in my mind. I wanted to recall when I gave these gifts to my daughter but both posts have disappeared.

iwik

I Mod, Will Travel...
Staff member
I got an error when I tried to report an expired coupon in the DB - Connection Failed access denied for user dkraeer...
I searched on Helper.
Possibly not finding expired dates without leading zeros in the month field.